Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

Thanks for posting on the Opsive forum - I responded there as it makes things easier to keep track of individual support requests :)

2. CastryGames

CastryGames

Hello I have the "ultimate character controller", I want to know something, I can change the player model at runtime, I want to know if it is possible, I would like to know your opinion to get down to work with that, another thing if you would like advise me I would be very grateful.

3. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Thanks,
    Justin

4. feloxy

feloxy

Hello, I seem to have a hard time getting to add weapons, they stack up on the first weapon I add, just visually in the game view, even though they are separate in the inspector. I am able to switch between weapons with the num keys but the first weapon always has all the weapons shown. The other ones seem fine. When I play the game the other items don't disable like usual when switching between the weapons.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  5. feloxy

feloxy

I managed to get the weapon switching working, sort of. Now when I play, it works I can switch but for what ever reason the, the second weapon, after a few seconds, moves to a random location. When the game isn't playing it's positioned correctly.

Attached Files:

6. feloxy

feloxy

Welll apparently it doesn't like me using probuilder as dummy assets. I did a quick import of another mesh and it works fine.

7. opsive

opsive

I haven't used ProBuilder for the items but from the character controller side of things it shouldn't care. If you post on the Opsive forums with more details I can help.

8. feloxy

feloxy

Thanks, will do some more testing and post if needed.

9. opsive

opsive

We are currently looking for someone who is experienced with the Ultimate Character Controller to help us with Opsive forum support. This is a paid position and would require around an hour a day on the week days. If this is something that you're interested in please send me a private message or an email to support@opsive.com.

This position also has the possibility to grow into more of a development position as well. We have lots of ideas for new Ultimate Character Controller features and new assets.

Thank you!
    Justin

10. opsive

opsive

11. sas67uss

sas67uss

Hi
    Do you can create a clean tutorial for using virtual input and building for mobile (specially android ) . I have a problem to use it .

12. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions. If you can also describe what problem you are having that would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Justin

13. sas67uss

sas67uss

I can not find search field in your forums ! and my request was very clear ! i just want a tutorial about mobile virtual input support :cool:

14. DankP3

DankP3

You get the search when you log in.

15. sas67uss

sas67uss

thanks
    I build demo scene for android but movement joystick and look touchpad not working ! are there any tips or tricks about this ?

16. opsive

opsive

Can you post your question on our forum? This allows for better tracking as well as the ability to search for previously asked questions.

17. opsive

opsive

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  18. gweijie

gweijie

is there a guide for connecting ufps with photon?

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  19. opsive

opsive

You can use the PUN Multiplayer Add-On. For support with this if you can post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum that would be great. This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

20. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Just did a setup of a new character (new user) and am getting this:

Error: There is no look source attached to the character. Ensure the character has a look source attached (such as a camera).
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.ThirdPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.RPG:GetDeltaYawRotation(Single, Single, Single, Single) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/ThirdPersonController/Character/MovementTypes/RPG.cs:153)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler:GetDeltaYawRotation() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:196)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicCharacter:Move(Boolean) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:224)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:FixedUpdate() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:844)

There's not really anything in the documentation about what this means. It would be great if the error message told you what to do rather than just the concept. Been reading the source for hours and honestly no idea where a "look source" gets assigned. Pretty rough.

21. opsive

opsive

I have responded on the opsive forum :)

22. cousinehy

cousinehy

For UFPS, I want to create a new character. Is there any possible alternative for UFPS mesh tool? if yes, is there any reference tutorial videos to do that?

23. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Justin

24. cousinehy

cousinehy

When I shoot that box, it will destroy all the nearest neighbors. That box consist of health, attribute manager. all of the components of the box is came from turret prefab.

fps.PNG fps2.PNG fps.PNG fps2.PNG fps.PNG fps2.PNG fps.PNG shooter.PNG

What I want is when the box or the turret was destroyed it won't destroy the same object around it. Is this possible? or should I need to manually create a code for this?

25. cousinehy

cousinehy

fps big riflle.PNG
    I created a new character and an assault item. why the assault rifle is very big? is there any possibility to fix this.

26. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Justin

27. opsive

opsive

Partel-Lang likes this.
  28. Zebbi

Zebbi

I'm curious how much work it would be to make TPC2 feel as close as possible to the original 90's Tomb Raider game movement. I'm looking for things like tank-turning (where you rotate by press left/right rather than moving in that direction), hop-back (instead of running towards the camera), edge-walking (where if the player is walking near an edge, they will traverse the edges rather than fall off), grabbing onto ledges, fixed jump timing (in the original, she jumped when holding the jump key when a specific animation frame was played, this allowed jumps to be timed precisely if you hopped back), step-back (when walking and pressing down), etc. A lot of these things aren't out-of-the-box anymore, since third person movements have evolved into a more fluid, camera-relative design, but if I were looking to precisely emulate the original TR games, would this be possible?

29. opsive

opsive

It would be possible, but you'll need to create new abilities and a tank control view type. The character controller is built to be extensible so you have a lot of flexibility with the design, but you'll need to have scripting experience in order to get there. Take a look at this video for an overview of scripting new abilities, and let me know if you have any specific questions.

30. Zebbi

Zebbi

That's a shame, I'm not really good enough to be able to code those types of things at the moment. I assume the camera would need to be modified too, to work similarly to early Tomb Raider?

31. opsive

opsive

You'll need to create a new Tank Control View Type, but the camera controller is built for this purpose. Each of the different views (first person, third person, top down, rpg, 2.5D) use a different view type. This will require scripting experience though.

32. opsive

opsive

33. opsive

opsive

To go along with version 2.2.4 we've also released our new inventory asset, called the Ultimate Inventory System. The new integration scene contains a shop, crafting, and chest examples:

UCCUISDemo.png

digiross likes this.
  34. Realgar

Realgar

Hi everybody, (this i s probably a silly question, and perhaps I must found it in the documentation), but how could I fix or block the camera movement , to release my mouse cursor and use tools on my GUI ? I made a 3d painting app, and I need to have a key which let the user paint or use GUI to select color or textures. Then He could hit the key to reactivate the FPS mode with the camera... Thank's a lot if you can help me and save time !

35. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

Im looking to buy UTPC, but Im wondering if there is some kind of integration with Animancer. I stopped working with the unity animator years ago and dont want to get back to it, its a literal hell if you have lots of animations and transitions. In one video from 2016 it says "script based animator" and it seems like it doesnt have transitions but in Animator Controller Structure from 2020 there are indeed lots of transitions.

My second question would be if its possible to execute an ability directly on an enemy, for example you are shooting the enemy and get within 2 meters range, now you execute ability that puts you and the enemy in a state where you can only melee fight for a limited time (like 5 seconds) and then it resumes back to the shooting part. Those abilities would mainly require changing animations for a limited time and executing some actions like punching that will reduce enemy health and also changing the camera settings to fly camera. I may also need to disable movement of the two characters during the melee fight since I dont want to enemy to escape that ability.

I hope that its possible to add RPG abilities such as pulling enemies towards you / pushing them backwards, dashing and so on.

Also, is ability cooldown handled by UTPC?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  36. opsive

opsive

Thanks for posting on the opsive forum :)

Thanks for taking a look at our character controller. Unfortunately there is no Animancer integration.

Yes, definitely. You can create a custom script which subscribes to the OnObjectImpact callback, and then from there you can use TryStartAbility to start the ability (or perform any other function).

Dash is an ability included in the Agility Pack, and for the others you can use the ability system.

You can use the Attribute System to prevent an ability from starting or have it stop after it has depleted.

37. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks for the reply, I think I will purchase the UTPS and replace all the animations with Kubolds mocaps.

I want to ask if when I set up the character once (I suppose that every script can stay on a root game object not on the FBX itself), would it be easy to delete the existing FBX file and add a new character that will take it's place. I hope that I can configure the controller on a test character and later on bring my own without having to spend a lot of time to rebuild it from scratch. In my game I also tend to delete and import my character once in awhile if there are skinning changes.

38. opsive

opsive

Are you going to be using the same rig? If you are then it should be easy as you are just changing out the mesh. If however you are using a different rig I have never been able to easily switch as the animator doesn't keep the same references.

39. skinwalker

skinwalker

Its the same rig once I plug in my own character, but until then I plan to experiment on a dummy character.

What animator references is it losing? I only can think of losing stuff that will be parented to the rig itself like LeftHandHolder.

40. opsive

opsive

It has been awhile since I tried it, but the character doesn't animate when you switch out the rig and the rig doesn't match.

41. jons190

jons190

Hi all! was looking for some info on using this for VR, specifically the quest. Does anyone use it?
    I was using RFPS for Go development for a melee type game, but now am looking to port to the quest and RFPS has been depreciated. What is the best path of programs for VR development? (seems like there are lots of add ons!!!)
    Does it work well with quest deving?

Curious to know anyones thoughts, can't find a lot of reviews/feedback on VR deving with this asset, just a lot of tech questions (which seem fairly normal)
    Cheers all!

42. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at our character controller! We do have a VR Add-on which works with all of the controller variants. I recommend taking a look at that add-on to see if it's something that you're interested in.

43. opsive

opsive

We just released a new video which gives an in-depth look at the FPS Mesh Tool integration (@CodeBison):

44. KarelA

KarelA

Hi @opsive

Can you point me to right direction. I am using this asset to create a first person view perspective and all i want to do is to make a camera have its shake values increased whenever i am running. I can see in first person controller on the component called ultimate character locomotion there are abilities that get activated. When i am running the Speed Change activity gets activated. But i am unable to get camera shake tied to this ability.

The only way i could do this was on camera gameobject in camera controller script. There i added a new state with increased Shake Speed. And i can activate it from there manually (like zoom that is tied to a fire2 button) but i dont think it is the right approach.

I found out how to do everything else but getting camera view effects tied to a certain controller ability (like crouching, running, falling, speed change) and i am failing to do so.

45. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Justin

46. KarelA

KarelA

Hi. Thanks

I found the solution thanks to the api documentation. Basically made a script that observes active abilities on locomotion. And then used this data to change the active states on camera.

47. opsive

opsive

Version 2.2.5 of the Ultimate Character Controller has been released. You can see what is included on this page.

The highlight of this release is the integration with Unity's new Input System.

48. Steve2375

Steve2375

Hello,
    does UFPS support the new Unity DOTS based Physics/HAVOK system?

49. tcn5150

tcn5150

What is the latest known compatible Unity version? Is this compatible with Unity 2020.x? Even in 2019.4 I can't get the installer package to do the system checks as it says it will do in the documentation. I am using blank projects to test this.

50. opsive

opsive

No - while we do have plans for a DOTS version we haven't started on that yet as the DOTS system is still constantly changing.

2018.4 is the minimum version. For support please post on the opsive forum with some more details and we'll be able to help out. The installer only shows once if you've hidden it so make sure you install the package from the Tools menu.