Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

We should have another update to that thread soonish. Currencies are done and currently working on save/load. When we get a little bit closer I'll create a new thread on the Unity forum.. we're not quite there yet :)

AwesomeNewbie and digiross like this.
  2. Mister-D

Mister-D

does the first person controller work in hdrp? so no dual camera setup but using custom render pipeline?

3. opsive

opsive

HDRP does not work for a first person view - when Unity releases a generic way to modify the stencil buffer (similar to what they did with LWRP) I'll be able to add support for it. I'm sure that you could get it working by modifying the shader and using the same configuration as LWRP, but for now there's no built-in support until the HDRP is further along.

4. opsive

opsive

AwesomeNewbie likes this.
  5. Mister-D

Mister-D

tnx for the info. ive bought the first person controller anyway ;) the full body animations alone are worth the price by themselves imo
    now i need to dive into the docs cause theres so many options! and im used to use the legacy system for my weapons.

opsive likes this.
  6. Mister-D

Mister-D

are ladders integrated? cant find an example one in the demoscene

7. Mister-D

Mister-D

so basicly animations are handled with ik? i dont want that, i have weapon with arms animated ,this gives better fps results. so how do i add my arms with weapon in one animator controller?

8. opsive

opsive

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

9. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I have a few questions before buying. Without doing any coding with the Third Person Malee asset:
    1. Can you throw things?
    2. Can you climb the walls like Spider-Man?
    3. Does it have sneak?
    4. Does the mobile input have two joysticks; one for camera rotation and one for character movement? Can you set it up so that there is only one joystick, and have the camera rotate automatically?

10. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at UTPM!

Yes, you can throw anything that implements the IThrownObject interface. In the demo scene this is grenades but really it can be anything.

No, this will require a new ability.

There are no sneaking animations built in but you could swap it out within the animator controller.

You can configure it so there are two joysticks, but there isn't a way for the camera to rotate automatically. I like this idea though so have written it down.

11. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Because there is not much info in this forum about the upcoming inventory system from Opsive (and the Inventory Pro system is not longer managed by the devs) I take the liberty to copy some infos from the Opsive forum in here:

The launch features (subject to change)
    At launch we want to give you the basic things that you can expect from any good inventory solution as well as the things that will make our system stand out.

• Inventory system Editor to create and manage your items
    • Customizable items at runtime
    • Inventory for everything and anything. Player, NPC, chest, etc…
    • Currency and in game shops, supporting multi currency and auto currency conversion
    • Basic Crafting system with possible extensions taken into account
    • Item actions to allow any item to do anything
    • The ability to equip and upgrade items, as well as item containers
    • Save/Load system with Serializer (Serialization shared with UCC)
    • Demo with UI controlled by mouse and controller
    • Event system (shared with UCC Opsive)
    • Object Pool system (shared with UCC Opsive)

With this you’ll get a complete baggage which should give you a great starting point to create your game inventory system.

The features coming later (subject to change)
    Of course we are already thinking about how we could make our asset even better with advanced features such as

• Import export database of items
    • Multi-language support
    • Multiplayer (online) support
    • Loading/Unloading items only when needed (to reduce load times)
    • Integration with other third party assets
    • And much more

L0ve3d and Eva-Dragonflame like this.
  12. Eva-Dragonflame

Eva-Dragonflame

So cool! Any info about the release date? It would be great if you could make a new thread about it in the unity forum for all to see!

digiross and L0ve3d like this.
  13. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Thank you @AwesomeNewbie for putting the word out about the new Inventory system we are working on. I really appreciate it.

@Eva-Dragonflame We haven't given a release window yet since there are a few things that we still haven't started, the biggest one being the integration with the Opsive Character controllers.

I'll make sure to create a Unity forum thread once I have more to show. Currently, you can find all the up to date news here:
    https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/inventory-system-by-opsive-wip.1033/
    I try to answer all the questions and I take note of all the feature requests, so make sure to have a look

digiross, L0ve3d and Eva-Dragonflame like this.
  14. jnbbender

jnbbender

UFPS Pre purchase question: I noticed in one of your videos regarding full-body awareness you are able to mask out a players arms. Can I replace them with another set of arms? i.e. I have a body I want to use but change out the arms.

15. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at UFPS!

Yes, you can definitely replace the arm model with your own models (and is recommended!). If you don't have a separate set of arms you can use a tool such as the FPS Mesh Tool to use the humanoid animations for your arms. There are some drawbacks to this approach though so take a look at this page for more details.

16. Mister-D

Mister-D

is there a way to use only one first person visible item and animator controller?(in the item type creation). my arms and guns are not seperate objects so i dont need the first person base.( im posting here cause the forum is down)

17. michel8000

michel8000

Hi, is it possible to create items who give special abilities, like a double jump ?

18. opsive

opsive

Yes, in that case for each weapon you'll want to just specify the First Person Base object and no First Person Visible object. (the forums will be back up today).

There isn't a direct example of this within the demo scene but there are a few different ways that you can accomplish this. I wouldn't use the Ultimate Character Controller item system but just a regular trigger that when the character picks it up it either enables the double jump ability or sets a state which then allows you to double jump.

To enable the jump ability you can get a reference to the Jump ability and then set the Enable property. The state can be set with StateManager.SetState, and in the demo scene there is an example of this with the StateTrigger component.

The opsive forum will be up shortly so if you can post any followup questions on that, that would be great. This makes it easier for me to track and also allows for easier searching of a previously asked question.

19. Mister-D

Mister-D

ok great! another question, i want to have 2 weapons at startup so not by a pickup event. is this possible?
    lets say playstart with have weapons 1 and 2.
    "eidt"
    nevermind, found the default loadout option

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  20. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

hi,
    i have problem, can't pick up or use frag. everything is setup as it should and works except for grenades.

21. Mister-D

Mister-D

im going to leave a bad review for the fps controller. its not artist friendly. just like ufps1 this pack is overdesigned. all scripts depend on eachother, there is no ladder climbing. and ive spend 3 days trying to get a simple animated pistol to work, without any luck, it doesnt play animations, doesnt play sounds. way to many options(everything depends on states), why would i need to create an asset to set ammo cappacity while it could just be a number value in the shooter script? theres no stop moving when running into colliders(player keeps bobbing). my hopes were high , but im back at using my own controller scripts. the good things about the pack is the full body awareness, and the so called advanced bobbing spring effects(wich arent that impressive imo).its a pitty, bought this to save time, but its not very productive.

22. opsive

opsive

There's a reason why things are structured the way that they are :) Things are extremely modular but you do need to understand the structure behind it and the reasons for things being the way that they are in order to make the most use out of it.

Ladder climbing isn't a feature advertised nor is it in the demo. What is actually more important than the controller including ability x is that it is designed in a way to be extensible in order to add ability x without restructuring the core. We are planning on releasing a climbing add-on, but each add-on takes time because there are a lot of use cases. Climbing the ladder without any animations in a first person view would be easy, but it's when you start to add the animations, weapons, both perspective support, etc, then it starts to take more time.

I actually used your set of fire arms in this UFPS promotion video that I did for Unity:

This allows you to pickup ammo within the scene. This video goes into more detail about why ItemTypes exist:

Did you add the Stop Movement Animation ability? This will stop the character from bobbing when they run into a wall (you can test it out within the demo scene)

This character controller is a large asset and you are able to customize it in many, many different ways. This also means that it takes more than three days to fully learn, though you can get the basics going really quickly. When anybody is first starting out with the controller I recommend going through the video tutorials and following those exactly using the demo assets. This will give you the workflow and then you can start to customize once you have an understanding in how everything is setup.

23. opsive

opsive

Are you trying to pickup a primary frag grenade or one that can be used at any time? If you have equip problems this page walks through the common troubleshooting problems.

NoSpoonAnim likes this.
  24. Mister-D

Mister-D

yes ,it will take time to fully understand the system. sorry for the rant, but it is getting frustrating not to get my weapon working. ill give it another go

25. jnbbender

jnbbender

Just getting started with UFPS trying to simply create my first Assault rifle. Setup looks very straight forward but when I go to the Item Manager and look for my new Item all I get are the default items shipped with the package. The new ItermCollection is assigned to my Character in the ItemSetManager.
    Where are my new Items?
    Thx.

P.S. Inventory script doesn't see it either for a Default Load Out.

26. NoSpoonAnim

NoSpoonAnim

it helped, i can pick it up now, but the count is still 0 and i can't throw it. it's a demo frag pun pickup. it's in default loadout but character always starts empty. It's a bit confusing with all dependencies...help? please? :D

edit: i just reimported grenade prefab, something got messed up upgrading to hdrp but it works now

p.s.: how do u edit item state presets (sniper aim for example) at runtime?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  27. opsive

opsive

Now that the forums are back up for support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

28. bi100t

bi100t

Hi I’m really interesting in your product, so I have a few questions before buy.

Can I easily create :

A heart systeme like zelda (with item heart to increase the number of life )

A permanent system item who give ability to continue on your quest.

A weapon can only destroy a certain type of object.

A system when you hit some npc you lose life.

An item that give you infinite ammo.

As an old school game my weapon ennemis etc are made of sprite so can i use this sprite as weapon in the UFPS ?

I there a système in ufps to save player stat between scene and make a save system ?

Or i must buy this : https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ystem-for-opsive-character-controllers-146693

To finish UFPS is sufficient to all of this or I need the Ultimate Character Controller ?

Thank you.

29. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at our character controllers. Do you have any scripting experience? Even if all of the features that you mentioned aren't included in the asset with scripting experience you'd be able to add it. Looking at each one though:

A heart UI isn't included but you can use the attribute system to track the health value which you can then show on the UI in any representation.

A quest system isn't included in the character controller but the controller is integrated with Quest Machine from @TonyLi. With the Save System (below) I imagine that you'd be able to create a persistable item but Tony may correct me on that.

You can either use layers to prevent the item from destroying all types of objects, or you can use the event system to apply a specific damage amount.

The character controller doesn't include any AI but this is definitely possible.

Yes

Weapons cannot use sprites but you could model the weapon on a flat plane with the mesh renderer.

The Save System is the way to go :)

What perspective are you going for? This image shows the difference between the controller variants.

TonyLi likes this.
  30. TonyLi

TonyLi

31. bi100-t

bi100-t

That look good.

Is it complicated to do that ?

Ok great, no AI but can we put weapon and health on npc ?

Yes that a good option but how can I animate it ?

Thank you guys it look like the perfect asset for me :cool:

32. opsive

opsive

Do you have scripting experience? If you do then it's pretty easy. You'll get the attribute value and from there it's using Unity's UI system to display it.

Yes, definitely. The character controller is integrated with Behavior Designer and all of those agents are driven by the character controller.

You can use a tool such as blender to animate it. This is part of Unity's animator controller workflow.

:)

33. Daahrien

Daahrien

How do you get the equiped weapon ammo count (in clip and out clip).

34. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Thanks,
    Justin

35. Daahrien

Daahrien

Thanks, will do. I already "fixed" this tho :p

opsive likes this.
  36. opsive

opsive

The swimming pack will be released next week! It will contain the following abilities:
    • Swim
    • Dive
    • Climb from Water
    • Drown
    In addition it will have an underwater gun and trident.

digiross and TonyLi like this.
  37. digiross

digiross

Underwater inventory system confirmed! :p

38. opsive

opsive

:eek:

For those following the inventory system the swimming pack didn't push back the inventory timeframe at all :) We have a developer who is working near-fulltime on inventory and he didn't work on swimming. Now that we are all but complete with swimming our artist will be able to start on the inventory demo scene!

39. michel8000

michel8000

I can't register the forum it says that my Invoice Number is not correct, I use the one that unity give me in my Email, how sould I register ?

40. opsive

opsive

When you are registering try it without the IN. If there's still a problem you can send the invoice number to support@opsive.com and I'll take a look.

41. L82093

L82093

Hi Justin,

Is the inventory system being designed with any type of additional storage system in mind? Banks, shared storage options, storage chests, etc.

I haven't seen any mention of this but was wondering.

Thanks,

~L

42. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Hi @L82093 I'm the person working on the new stand alone Inventory system for Opsive. If you haven't done so yet I would recommend you check out the Opsive forum; Work in progress Inventoy System By Opsive:
    https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/inventory-system-by-opsive-wip.1033/page-5

There you'll find detailed information about the new inventory system.

To answer you're question directly, the items are stored within a class called "ItemCollection" and you can have multiple instances of that class in an "Inventory" component. You're free to plug that inventory component on anything be it the player, an NPC, a storage unit, a chest, etc...
    Since the Inventory is a component it is easily accessible, so you can imagine that it can hook up with other components.

For example you could set up a player script that could automatically equip some items from the inventory component.
    Or you could have a chest that each time it is opened gives all the items within its inventory to whoever opened it.

The system is very flexible I even had a dummy script that would create a random pickup using the inventory component to define a probability table.

I hope that answers your question. The new Inventory system will release Q1/Q2 2020, there is still a lot of work for me to do.

43. L82093

L82093

Hi Sangemdoko,

Excellent - Thank you very much for your detailed answer and I will definitely check out the forum.

All the best,

~L

44. opsive

opsive

Updates to the character controllers are going out now. Each controller variant and add-on had an update so be sure to check the release notes for each package. This update is also the base version for the upcoming Swimming Pack (which has been released on the opsive store).

45. opsive

opsive

The Swimming Pack has been released on both the Opsive Store and the Asset Store! The Swimming Pack contains 4 abilities allowing your character to swim, dive, climb, and drown within the water.​

TonyLi likes this.
  46. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Hi,

I just bought your Ultimate Character Controller asset, I want to work with it, I could share or update the download link you have on your website to download CF2-Opsive-UCC-Rig, use Control freak and I would like to try your asset to see how it works on my iphone,

Thank you very much and greetings.

47. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your purchase. For future questions if you can post on the opsive forum that would be great as it makes searching for previously asked questions easier. For the ControlFreak integration though take a look at the bottom of this page for where to download the Unity Package: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/integrations/control-freak/

48. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Thank you for your response, I send you a private, do not let me download the integration, it tells me that my ENTER ORDER OR INVOICE NUMBER is incorrect, I bought it through the Unity store.
    Greetings.

49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Send you a private message.

50. IltonGarcia

IltonGarcia

Hi, I bought the Third Person Controller, but I didn't found the mobile controllers version as it says on it selling page. Where is it? There is any tutorial to do it?