Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

There is an issue with the knife weapon: If you swing once then go into zoom / aim and repeatedly press attack, the animation state will get stuck until you release all buttons again.

(Sorry for posting here, but I cannot log into Opsive forum right now)

2. opsive

opsive

It helps me track support requests better if you can post on the forum - what login issue are you having? Feel free to send an email to support@opsive.com with what problems you are having logging in.

I also just tried to reproduce the knife issue but wasn't able to. When you post on the forum/send an email can you give more details on how to reproduce?

3. opsive

opsive

Update time!

Versions 2.1.7 of the character controller, 1.0.1 of the VR Add-On, 1.0.2 of the PUN Add-On, and 1.0.4 of the Agility Pack has been released. This update cycle was focused on VR improvements but it required an update of all of the assets. You can see all of the release notes on this page:

https://opsive.com/news/category/release-notes/

4. bbaugh007

bbaugh007

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to replace the third person controller in the ultimate character controller with my own 3rd person controller while still keeping the ability to switch between 3rd and first person perspectives. If this is possible, what would I need to do?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Thank you!

6. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Before I make the purchase, I wanted to know.. does Ultimate support Unity 2019 and if not, when do you plan on the supporting 2019? Thanks.

7. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at the Ultimate Character Controller.

Yes, 2019.1 and 2019.2 are supported. We don't support alpha/beta releases but around the time 2019.3 is released it will be supported as well.

MastermindInteractive likes this.
  8. Daahrien

Daahrien

Hello! Is it possible to control a character via scripts? I need to do so for 2 main reasons:

1.-So I can control a "NetworkedPlayer" via networking messages (player 2 started aiming, player 2 shot, etc)
    2.-To create my own AI solution. Basically the same, I want to be able to tell the character to change weapon, aim, shoot, etc, via script.

This is a GREAT factor in deciding on buying this asset, or the competence :p

9. opsive

opsive

Yes, you can. Take a look at this page for an overview of common AI-related functions:

https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/artificial-intelligence/

You can also use the NavMeshAgentMovement ability if you just want your character to move with the NavMeshAgent (there is a similar ability created for the A* integration):

https://opsive.com/support/document...ies/included-abilities/navmeshagent-movement/

The PUN Multiplayer add-on also interpolates the clients instead of them being directly controlled by the player.

10. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello just curious of there is an ETA on a cover system?

11. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I'm creating a tile-based first person rpg (picture legends of grimrock). The only thing I want to use here is your default slight camera movement when standing still (the cam just sort of sways around), and the camera bob for when I'm walking.

How do I get that to happen while taking full control of the position/rotation of my player through my own code, and not using the built in movement / look controls from ufps? Right now, even if I disable the look / movement controls, the player character / camera remain locked to their position/rotations, so I can't move them with my own code.

Also, less important but would be very cool, is there any way to trigger the springs to act like I'm walking through script, so that I could tell it to "bob" the camera when I begin my own walk code, and tell it to stop when I end my own walk code? I really have no need for ufps in this game, but the camera stuff is so great that Id love to just bring that slight natural movement into my game, since it really adds a lot of realism.

I just turned it on/off, and holy moly, is there a difference using this, even if I dont want to use any of the other systems here.

Thanks so much.

12. Daahrien

Daahrien

you can do that with cinemachine, and its free :p I mean you only need the camera sway (already built in in cinemachine) and the bob, I think that is not built yet, but you can copy it from the standard assets fps controller, or just make your own, super easy.

opsive likes this.
  13. opsive

opsive

No ETA yet - the next ability pack that we'll be releasing is the Swimming Pack. When we get closer to this release I'll be sure to post about it here.

14. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Thank you!

15. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

I use "Rucksack" (Multiplayer Inventory System) and asked about integration of UCC. They said that they really want to make an integration, but the Developer from UCC does not respond to a question they have concerning this. Please answer them, since UCC integration is important for many Rucksack users. Cheers!

16. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Yes, a rucksack integration would be great indeed!

17. opsive

opsive

We are currently working on our own inventory solution and we plan on updating the character controller API to fully integrate with this solution. When we do that it should make other inventory integrations a lot easier. I talked to Joris yesterday about this and we agreed that this is the best path forward.

18. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

Ah, great news! When do you plan to publish your own inventory solution?

19. opsive

opsive

No ETA yet but we are getting closer. The core design is done and it's onto the polishing and demo scenes. When it gets closer I'll create a new thread and link to it from here.

Eva-Dragonflame likes this.
  20. davidhughes3d

davidhughes3d

Checking in for Inventory system progress updates.

21. opsive

opsive

22. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Hi. Im a little confused by what is the best package to buy here. I am mostly looking to use the FPS shooter stuff so your site recommends UFPS. If I at some point would need the meele system or third-person system will I be able to upgrade to the Ultimate Character System or do I just buy each of the other systems?

23. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at our controllers. You can upgrade between controller variants at any time so if you later decide that you want a particular feature of a different controller then you can upgrade for the price difference.

24. opsive

opsive

Version 2.1.8 of the Ultimate Character Controller has been released. This update adds support for the LWRP with a first person camera. Take a look at this page for the release notes.

LWRPAssaultRifle.png

FaberVi likes this.
  25. FaberVi

FaberVi

Only LWRP? And HDRP?

26. DankP3

DankP3

Hdrp is fine if you are only using 3rd person, but is not compatible with 1st due to the need for more than one camera, which hdrp does not support yet.

27. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

28. Eva-Dragonflame

Eva-Dragonflame

Aweseome! Will it be realeased this year? Please let me know, since I could wait till the end of the year if necessary, but not longer ;-)

29. Eva-Dragonflame

Eva-Dragonflame

I am so happy, that you are working on an inventory solution. I bought Inventory Pro and Rucksack, but Inventory Pro is more or less abandoned and Rucksack has nearly no features. I hope you will release a small core version of your Inventory System soon, so we all can start with your Inventory system! Can´t wait!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    L0ve3d and AwesomeNewbie like this.
  30. opsive

opsive

Great to hear that everybody is looking forward to this asset :)

We don't have an ETA though it would be nice to have ready by the end of the year. We'd rather wait and release a polished product than rush it to be released by some date. We will likely be doing a beta with it though so you can get it early. This beta probably won't have integration with the character controller yet but it will still be a sound framework for inventory. I'll make a post here (and also start a new inventory-related thread) when we get closer.

31. Lawina

Lawina

Do you think the shader solution for LWRP first-person compatibility will be released before or after the inventory system?

32. opsive

opsive

Lawina likes this.
  33. Lawina

Lawina

34. Eva-Dragonflame

Eva-Dragonflame

That sounds great!

35. borkbork

borkbork

Is it just me? The PC demo camera just keeps rotating - making it impossible to evaluate anything about the asset without getting a spinning head.

36. opsive

opsive

That generally indicates that you are using hardware that Unity doesn't recognize. The demo scene uses Unity's regular input system so it may not work with any non-standard input hardware. The Rewired integration will fix this, and as soon as Unity's new input system is released I also plan on adding support for that.

37. borkbork

borkbork

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a Wacom tablet-screen so maybe that is messing it up.

38. daklab

daklab

@opsive I'm still learning from the docs and experimentation, but I'm hoping to get clarity on a few things. For context to my questions below, my game Bugg is 2.5D and you can view progress videos at https://bugggame.com/#devlog. I now plan to use Opsive's TPC as the previous character controller solution has too many tunneling and penetration issues.

1. Is the core expectation of a custom controller built-on top of Third Person Controller supposed to subclass Ultimate Character Locomotion Handler?
    - Is it correct to assume that to increase the default movement speed I should use a multiplier on top of raw axis input? Other?
    2. From what I can tell thus far, it's a hard requirement of TPC to use Opsive's camera components. Is this true?
    - What steps do I need to take to get out of this requirement? I'd much prefer to us Pro Camera 2D.
    3. In my previous approach for wall and ceiling mounting (from both the ground and the air) I used a custom Raycast solution and then a tween (while disabling the controller temporarily). I realize TPC has the Align to Ground and Align to Gravity Zone abilities. Regarding Opsive's various systems, what would be the best practice ways for achieving wall mounting from both the ground and air?
    4. The main character Bugg can spawn/launch and toggle between Bot characters so puzzle solving is a team exercise. They will all share the same movement and abilities except each will differ in its "special" ability. Regarding reuse and the fact only one character is active and controllable at a time, do you have any general recommendations for approaching this? The Bots in this case could be both Items and Characters, so I'm looking for a nudge in the right direction regarding "the Opsive way".

Thank you in advance for helping me leverage Opsive's TPC in the most productive manner.

39. AwesomeNewbie

AwesomeNewbie

Good to hear that you are planning an inventory solution. The solutions that are out there are not good at all (Inventory Pro is not really worked on anymore and Rucksack has not many features) Hope to get my hands on your Beta soon ;-)

40. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Thank you!

41. daklab

daklab

42. photonic

photonic

Hi there, any news about this inventory solution of yours? Cheers!

43. hoodoo

hoodoo

Question about the best arms to use with the first person controller. I own UFPS 1 and am considering upgrading to UFPS2 and then upgrading to the First Person Controller.

What would be the best to use for the arms? Purchasing a set of arms on the asset store, or splitting the arms from an existing character model (humanoid)?

I read this page: https://opsive.com/support/document...troller/animation/animator/first-person-arms/

So this says that the generic arms are better with respect to quality, and I would prefer to go down the route leading to the best possible quality. What are the steps involved to use generic arms? I've mainly been doing third person, so don't know much about the tradeoffs with first person. Any tips are welcome!

44. opsive

opsive

This thread has all of the details. We're making good progress and hope to have a demo available soon-ish.

45. opsive

opsive

Using a set of generic arms is the way to go for the best results. There are two primary ways to do this:

- Create your own generic rig and animations using a modeling program like Blender. This was what w did for the controller and it works really well.
    - Purchase a set of generic arms and animations off of the Asset Store. An example asset that includes this is the FPS Weapons asset.

hoodoo likes this.
  46. hoodoo

hoodoo

I plan to take this route as it would give me the most control. It sounds like I can look in your demo scene for the first person controller to see how you have set it up, right?

47. opsive

opsive

Definitely. All of the videos also use this same technique so that should help as well.

48. creat327

creat327

hi there, I never got the invite and I paid for tpc1 and didn't ask for a refund because i was gonna get the beta invite. Now the price is super expensive and I was never able to use v1 because it was deprecated and I stayed waiting for v2
    I don't think it's fair we have to pay twice in that case, especially because I paid for TPC and UFPS expecting the upgrade.
    what do we do?

49. L0ve3d

L0ve3d

Any news on the new inventory system? There is´t much news on the thread you linked to.....please start a new thread about it in the unity forum...so everybody will know, that there is a new inventory solution in the making....I am sure lots of people are waiting for exactly that....

50. opsive

opsive

I have replied to your email :)