Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@opsive will there be a megapack of addons too?

2. opsive

opsive

That's an interesting idea.. right now we have 7 different addon pack ideas on our Trello board for a total of about 35 different abilities. I think that we'll first release one or two of these addons and see how it goes and then decide if it makes sense to have a complete addon pack.

TeagansDad likes this.
  3. opsive

opsive

A demo of beta 1 has been released!

BetaAnnouncement.png

You can test the beta with the links below. Please let us know if you hit any issues - we'd love to get it fixed before final release! The features within the beta should be considered stable and before final release we will be adding:

- New UI
    - Generic character (a horse that you can ride on)
    - More weapons
    -- Dual pistols, rocket launcher, sniper, shield, more

The controls for the beta are:
    - Move: WASD
    - Crouch: C
    - Run: Shift
    - Shoot: Left Mouse Button
    - Aim: Right Mouse Button
    - Reload: R
    - Equip Next: E
    - Equip Previous: Q
    - Toggle Equip: T
    - Action: F (interact with objects)
    - Grenade Throw: G
    - Secondary Attack: B (melee attack with assault rifle)
    - First Person Lean: Z/X
    - Drop Item: D
    - Switch Perspective: V
    - Switch Movement Types: Enter

You can play the beta at:
    - Windows (recommended): http://www.opsive.com/assets/Version2/Beta1/Beta1Windows.zip
    - WebGL: http://www.opsive.com/assets/Version2/Beta1

Mark_01 and TeagansDad like this.
  4. opsive

opsive

As shown in the beta released screenshot above, one of the more interesting features that we've added to version 2 is the ability for your character to change gravity directions. This doesn't just apply to the character - trajectory objects can also have a non-standard gravity direction which allows for your projectile to be fired in the correct direction when you're upside down.

Inverted.PNG

5. MostHated

MostHated

Man, you guys webserver sure has some slow upload. : P

6. PlinkoPenguin

PlinkoPenguin

Wow that's awesome!

opsive and TeagansDad like this.
  7. Banglemoose

Banglemoose

Can everyone please go upvote this issue so that Opsive can continue with the networking?

IrishDev, SirTwistedStorm and opsive like this.
  8. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

I keep running into an issue where my gun stops shooting, and it displays 0/145 or whatever ammo, and I am unable to reload my gun. Dying does not solve this issue.

9. witcher101

witcher101

Does First person mode uses separate hands??

10. opsive

opsive

Thank you for the bug report! This was related to the Reload ability not working properly. We'll be doing a beta 2 which will have this fixed in it!

Legorobotdude likes this.
  11. opsive

opsive

Yes, it does.

12. roykoma

roykoma

Clicking the button in the interaction-room doesn't work and essentially stops you from being able to move.

Also you can mess up the gravity direction completely if you stand on the top of the building on the sphere and blast yourself (grenade to your feet) back on the building.

13. opsive

opsive

Thanks! This one related to the Item Equip Verifier ability waiting for the Move Towards ability to finish, while the Move Towards ability was waiting for the Item Equip Verifier ability to finish.

I like your method :) The gravity direction now resets when you are no longer aligning to the ground.

--

Thanks for all of the bug reports so far - we've heard of some use cases that we'd never think to try and this has really helped us build a more solid release.

14. roykoma

roykoma

Also forgot to mention that I managed to trigger both view-styles simultaneously, so I was able to see the first person arms and the third person player on the same time, both being controlled by input.

Happend somewhere while testen the door opening, will try to replicate later.

15. opsive

opsive

Thanks - when the character interacts in first person there is an option to disable the first person camera so your arms don't render in front of the object. This allows you to grip the door handle and have the handle overlap the hand. This option wasn't being reverted correctly so you ended up with a case where the first person hands were visible in third person view.

Definitely let me know if you find anything else!

16. Zurra

Zurra

I have quite weird problem which actually prevents me testing UCC.
    Somehow input for aim and fire are always true.
    As you can see from this webm when UCC demo is not focused, there is no input hence aim action is disabled. Immediately when I focus UCC aim and shoot action are activated.
    https://webmshare.com/q56Pz

This applies to standalone and webgl versions

17. opsive

opsive

Thanks for trying to give it a try :)

Do you have any controllers/non-standard keyboard/mice connected? My guess is that the input mappings aren't setup for the input devices that you have. When we release the input mappings will be setup for a standard keyboard/mouse and an Xbox controller. We will also have an integration with Rewired which has support for an insane number of controllers.

Mark_01 likes this.
  18. Zurra

Zurra

Only non-standard controller I have connected is Razer Nostromo, I'll check what happens if I disconnect it when I get back to home.

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thank you. I was just about to ask about a Rewired integration.

20. somosky

somosky

Hi I have both UFPS and your Third Person Character Controller. I decided a while back to switch out UFPS for another FPS controller that I've heavily modified. I have couple of questions about the Ultimate Character Controller.

First how flexible will the gun controls be? For example how extensive are the recoil options or would I be able to do some sort of damage fall off system where a certain amount of damage is done depending on how for away a target is.

Also is it easily customizable to add my own functions to it .For example every gun in my game has a different aiming icon that changes whenever the weapon is switched and goes away during zooming .

How does the damage system work? At least for the raycasting. Does it send certain messages or can specific messages be set up through the guns? One reason I am asking is because I'm using Puppet Master with my enemies and I have functions on them that get triggered through my weapon raycasting script.

I'm super excited to try this out and I'm a day 1 buyer. Just want to know a little more how customizable UCC is. Oh also could you go over the "Agility" add on you where talking about? Would that be double juming and wall running etc?

21. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

With the Unity bug I noticed the priority is low because there is a possible workaround, do you guys think you would move on a workaround? I can see Unity taking a very long time on this one.

22. opsive

opsive

Comparing the item components between UFPS v1 and TPC v1 the components are more similar to TPC. There is now a concept called item actions which perform the actual action function, such as shooting or slashing. There are events that you could subscribe to in order to implement any custom behavior (such as a falloff damage amount). The recoil system has been rewritten so it's more customizable then version 1 of either UFPS or TPC.

You'll likely be making use of the events, but specifically for changing out the icon that would be possible without any code.

Shootable damage can be applied through a raycast or projectile. There is an event sent when the object gets hit.

Agility is more similar to vaulting or rolling. We do have a parkour addon planned in the case of wall running. Double jumping can already occur through the existing jump ability.

23. opsive

opsive

Where did you see there is a workaround? I've been working with Unity support and they said that there isn't a workaround for this case.

24. somosky

somosky

That all sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions . I did forget one question though . A major feature I am having with my own solution is adding screen shake to my FPS controller. It messes up the fps camera which already has a courintine on it to deal with recoil. Is screen shake handles in UCC?

Can't wait to try this thing out .If there's another round of betas in Unity I'd love to get my hands on UCC I'd even purchase it right now.

Thanks again for the answers.

25. opsive

opsive

Yes, camera shakes are now added through the effect system:

effect.PNG

Both the earthquake and boss stomp effects add a camera shake. The effects system can be thought of as a lightweight ability system and has a pretty simple API if you want to create a new effect.

Glad you're looking forward to it! Right now we don't plan on releasing any betas for purchase so we can instead focus on polishing the 2.0 release, but watch this thread in case anything changes. Either way we're getting close to the release!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  26. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@opsive

what is the minimum unity version that you will be supporting?

27. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

It's actually when you hover over the 'severity' of the issue a popup appears saying 'workaround is possible', but now that you say that perhaps it is generic. But does that not mean we can get the severity bumped up? Because there is no work around....

28. opsive

opsive

29. opsive

opsive

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, that must be a generic message.. I'll try to get the severity bumped up.

30. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

Sounds good - good luck!

31. opsive

opsive

Good news - the animation team bumped up the severity to 2 because there isn't a workaround. They still don't have an update on when it'll be fixed, but at least it's at the correct severity now.

If anybody hasn't seen it yet please vote on this issue. With enough votes we may be able to get Unity to bump up the priority. This issue is blocking development of the multiplayer addon so we won't be able to release that until after this issue is fixed.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/animation-animator-transition-does-not-get-interrupted

joshrichardson1234 likes this.
  32. somosky

somosky

Since the FPS and Third person Controllers use different meshes and models (FPS with just the arms and 3rd person with the whole body model) how exactly is that set up? Is the third person set to Humanoid and the first person to Genetic? The reason I'm asking is I'm unfamiliar with Blender but I'm guessing I'll have to manually separate the arms from my third person character to generate just the arms for that character. If that is the case is there any specific specifications on how the arms must be created with to work properly?

33. opsive

opsive

You've used UFPS 1, correct? It'll be a similar setup with a few differences:

- The Animator/Animator Controller is used instead of the legacy Animation component
    - The main character animator can be humanoid or generic. If it's generic then you won't get the bone retargetting feature within Unity though. The arms are generic.
    - A single set of arms can be used for multiple weapons (or you can have new arms for each weapon like UFPS does).
    - An editor script will add all of the necessary components.

This does mean that you will need to have the arms separated from the base model. You can use a tool like FPS Mesh Tool to do this for you.

Mark_01 likes this.
  34. opsive

opsive

Unity animation bug update:

The animation team marked this bug as by design and sent me an explanation for the reasons why. Their explanation makes sense for the context of the bug, but it doesn't apply in the case of my actual use case of reverting the animator controller for multiplayer. I just sent a message to the Unity support person that I've been working with on this to see if he has any ideas. The multiplayer code hasn't been updated since February so I need to spend a few days to get it back into a working condition with the current code (which I can't do right now as we get closer to the base release), but as soon as I have a working solution I'll let everyone know.

Thank you for all of the votes within the issue tracker!

35. somosky

somosky

Congrats on possibly making some headway on the multiplayer issue.

Any weekly update or any interesting new info that you haven't told us yet about the Controller? I'm dying here.

Also I tend to work a bit better with these types of assets with video walkthroughs. Any idea if those will be released upon the release of the asset as well ?

36. opsive

opsive

Last week we were mostly fixing bugs and adding in the UI so wasn't too interesting, but we hope to release beta 2 this week. We added the shotgun and dual wield pistols yesterday and are spending the next couple of days polishing those weapons. Hopefully we'll also have some audio for these weapons when we release the beta.

Definitely. I was also thinking of doing a twitch stream showing the controller before we release it. Would that be of interest to anybody?

Neviah likes this.
  37. somosky

somosky

Yea a Twitch Stream would be really nice I think.

I noticed in the latest demo the rifle scope had a zoomed look to it when you hip fire or idling . I hope I explained that correctly . I've always had trouble implementing that. Is that part of the weapon setup?

38. opsive

opsive

Are you talking about the scope camera? Or something different?

camera.png

39. somosky

somosky

Yea the scope camera. So in that picture you are aiming. But even when you aren't aiming the scope still has some magnification on it.

40. opsive

opsive

That's right - the assault rifle uses a second camera with a render to display the magnification. The ShootableWeapon properties component has a field which allows you to specify the scope camera:

camera.png

This camera isn't part of the initial item builder but I'll make sure to document how it is setup.

41. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

The bug is now marked as "By design". Does this mean they will not fix it?

42. opsive

opsive

Mark_01 likes this.
  43. opsive

opsive

We've been working on beta 2 which will hopefully be out early next week. This beta will have:

- Lots of fixes from beta 1
    - New UI
    - Dual Pistols
    - Shotgun

Here's an early screenshot of dual pistols:

DualPistols.PNG

44. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

Wow - that is amazing news!! Good work. I keep playing the beta and am so excited to get into using it! I was just wondering, as a guess how many players will the multiplayer addon be able to handle without lag if we have the top of the range Photon servers? I know this has many factors just wondering for out the box.

45. opsive

opsive

Because I'm not too far along with the PUN portion of the multiplayer addon I'm not able to say. I'll try stress testing it when we get closer to release of the addon.

46. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

No worries. Do you have any idea how many players the UFPS1 PUN plugin supported without lag?

47. opsive

opsive

I'm not too familiar with the version 1 multiplayer addon so I can't say. There are also a ton of factors that go into this though so your best bet is to run your own set of tests and profile it to see where the bottle neck is.

48. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

No worries, I will run it though some tests. Might be worth waiting for V2 though as it looks so amazing. Do you have any estimates on when you will launch the PUN add on for UFPS2? Do you think it will be before September? If the workaround works of course.

49. opsive

opsive

I don't have an estimate for the multiplayer addon but I'm pretty certain that it'll be after September. Multiplayer is a huge subject to do correctly and while we are already pretty far along with server reconciliation/client side prediction it is still going to take a good amount of time to get working.

50. somosky

somosky

Ant update on a possible Twitch Stream? Are you still targeting a August release for the UCC?