Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

A roll ability has been added to the Agility Pack. All of the ability packs will support both first and third person, and with roll it can make you dizzy pretty quickly:

In order to reduce the dizzying effects the roll ability has the following options when in first person:

- Roll with the head rotation, as is in the gif above.
    - Roll without the head rotation, so the camera does not go upside down.
    - Switch to third person view while the roll ability is active.

Lohrion, Blackghost, Tethys and 3 others like this.
  2. Tethys

Tethys

Dude... this is.... AWESOME! Thank you. ;)

opsive likes this.
  3. opsive

opsive

Onevisiongames and Deckard_89 like this.
  4. kotor

kotor

How to buy the new Third Person Controller if you have already own legacy ?

5. opsive

opsive

6. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hi Justin,

very pleased with how UCC turned out. Any chance for wall running making it into the Agility Pack, or are there any resources on how to implement it oneself?

Thanks!

7. luniac

luniac

for melee combat,
    are there IK controls for aiming the shield at a target?
    are there IK controls for aiming a weapon attack at a target?
    I know for guns there's lots of IK stuff in Docs, but i haven't found anything for melee weapons.

if not,
    any news on integrating Final IK + Puppetmaster?

I'm researching tools for developing a VR melee combat game, and am looking for a good melee character controller for enemies.

8. kotor

kotor

9. opsive

opsive

Great to hear :)

Wall running won't be in the agility pack, but we do have a parkour pack planned :) You can create your own abilities by following this guide:

https://opsive.com/support/document...r-controller/character/abilities/new-ability/

10. opsive

opsive

You can definitely use IK for melee weapons - it's actually the code for any item type. In the third person documentation I do talk about positioning the non-dominant hand using an assault rifle but you can do the same with a two handed melee weapon.

FinalIK is the next integration that I plan on working on - we are currently working on a pretty big melee-focused update and the agility addon. After that I'll be looking at the FinalIK integration (hopefully February timeframe). @Partel-Lang mentioned working on a Puppet Master integration though I don't know the status of that.

11. opsive

opsive

Ahh, yeah, in that case it won't show the updated price. If you send me a PM with your email that you purchased version 1 from I can send you a coupon with the upgrade price.

12. Smartivity

Smartivity

Hi, by when can we expect the VR addon? Thank you.

13. opsive

opsive

No ETA yet - we have a base for it but we've gotten more questions about multiplayer so will be working on that first. After we release the multiplayer addon we'll pick the VR addon back up.

sjm-tech likes this.
  14. Smartivity

Smartivity

ok, Thank you for the reply. Can't wait for the VR addon :)

opsive likes this.
  15. opsive

opsive

Double Jump has been added to version 2.1. In prior versions double jump works only worked if the jump ability was already active, and we also didn't have any animations for it. Now it'll work anytime the character is in the air and we have animations for it.

Onevisiongames likes this.
  16. ncho

ncho

Can someone enlighten me as to the differences between Ultimate Character Controller and UFPS 2? This doesn't seem to be mentioned on any of the store pages.

17. kotor

kotor

Justin,

Since I bought Third Person Controller outside Asset Store, how can I get the discount?. I have the order#.

18. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Ultimate Character Controller is both First Person Controller and Third Person Controller combined.
    First Person Controller is basically UFPS 2 but it also has melee.

opsive likes this.
  19. luniac

luniac

Is it possible to control the IK of the left hand and right hand separately?
    Use Case:
    For enemy characters:
    left hand hold shield which has IK target as my character's weapon.
    right hand holds sword and has IK target as my character's head.

So with the left hand the shield is always defending against my characters weapon,
    The right hand the sword can target my characters body.

I don't see in documentation any mention of separate IK for each hand.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  20. opsive

opsive

Please send me a PM with your email or order number and I'll send you a coupon for the Asset Store at the discounted price.

21. opsive

opsive

Separate IK targets aren't built in, but with some modification you could add it. I can also add it to my feature request list (though it won't make it in version 2.1, 2.1 is ending up being a pretty huge update).

When the CharacterIK component does its IK pass it does a pass for each hand. The hand gets the target through the look source's look direction (the camera's forward direction in most cases), and adjusts from there. In order to add support for different targets you'd need to adjust this look direction.

22. luniac

luniac

I got reasonable enough script skills to at least modify an existing implementation.
    Thanks for the tip.

Since you're implementing Final IK at some point which comes with the FBBIK component and Aim IK, it would make sense to harness that power for more IK options.

23. opsive

opsive

For the past couple of days Final IK has been a really popular topic on the discord and support forum so I decided to take a look at it now. I have it working for a third person perspective, still need to figure out first but the integration will definitely be included in the 2.1 release :) This should also allow you to have different targets by using the full body ik solver.

Deckard_89 and TonyLi like this.
  24. luniac

luniac

sweet, since im making a VR game, id need it only for enemy models anyway, thanks.

opsive likes this.
  25. lo-94

lo-94

Hey so I'm going to be purchasing this for my next project in a couple months. Quick question, as the current project I am finishing work on I am using UFPS 1.7. With this version is there an easier way to take control of the character and perform sequences? For essentially short "cutscenes" like standing up after being knocked out, automatically walking through a corridor and looking at something, etc.

I've been having a very difficult time doing this with 1.7 and am wondering if there is perhaps plans for something like behavior designer integration to sequence short cinematic like sequences.

26. kotor

kotor

Thanks I bought the asset.

I am getting the following error running the demo in unity. I followed the document how to import. Still getting this error

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.DeterministicObjectManager.SetCharacterMovementInputInternal (Int32 characterIndex, Single horizontalMovement, Single forwardMovement) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/DeterministicObjectManager.cs:399)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.DeterministicObjectManager.SetCharacterMovementInput (Int32 characterIndex, Single horizontalMovement, Single forwardMovement) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/DeterministicObjectManager.cs:388)
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.Update () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:71)

27. kotor

kotor

I ran the wrong demo. Now it is running fine

28. opsive

opsive

Thanks! For cinematics I would disable input and then issue the commands directly, such as starting an ability or taking damage. You could also use Behavior Designer which would call the same methods as if you were to do it via script.

29. lo-94

lo-94

Oh neat, what sort of behaviors does Behavior Designer currently have integrated? Firing of abilities, movement (both WASD and mouse), etc?

30. opsive

opsive

Behavior Designer can do pretty much anything that a human player can do. Take a look at this video for an overview of the sample behavior tree:

Movement is controlled by the pathfinding implementation (Unity navmesh or A* Pathfinding Project). You could also create your own ability that has a custom movement.

boysenberry likes this.
  31. boysenberry

boysenberry

Just to confirm, once I've gone through and upgraded my versions of UFPS 1 and TPC 1 to their FPC 2 and TPC 2 versions (through Unity's Asset Store) I don't need to purchase the Ultimate Character Controller to use 1st to 3rd person perspectives interchangeably, correct?

Also, it's been a while since I dug through everything. Do the new updates integrate with UMA?

TIA, Boysenberry

32. opsive

opsive

That's correct.

You can use UMA's bone builder and it'll work for third person. After the next version, 2.1, is released I'm going to see if it's possible to have UMA work with a first person perspective.

boysenberry likes this.
  33. Janoooba

Janoooba

I'm trying to develop a first person controller that can seamlessly go from zero-g "jetpack" controls (with 6DOF) to gravity (may not be directly up and down). I'd like to keep the features that deal with weapon sway and bounce, but roll my own locomotion for the zero-g part. I own UFPS 1 and attempted to do this there, but found that everything was too closely tied. I'd have to rewrite large portions of the setup to get it working the way I want.

Will the ultimate character controller allow me to do what I'd like relatively simply? Can I pick and choose what "modules" and features to use? And finally, how is the rewired integration? I'd like to have COMPLETE control over the naming and functions of player input.

34. opsive

opsive

UFPS 1 uses Unity's Character Controller component which requires up to be Vector3.up. In version 2 the locomotion is completely driven by the Ultimate Character Controller scripts so you have complete flexibility. You can use the ability system to create your own zero-g locomotion system. In fact, with the next update the planet transfer feature is done within the ability system.

Yes.

That's fine - no input strings are hard coded.

35. Janoooba

Janoooba

Thanks for the quick reply, looks like this should be a good upgrade for us then!

36. opsive

opsive

Awesome. I should also mention that the planet transfer feature isn't in the current version yet but it will be with the next version, 2.1. Right now the gravity system works by detecting the ground normal and adjusting to that, but in 2.1 I made some changes so more of the gravity variables are exposed to the ability system. With 2.1 even the align to surface feature is now an ability instead of being added directly to the core character controller.

37. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! My question is to the Third Person Controller, Does it still support split screen like the old one did? whats the price when I own ufps and tpc ?

38. opsive

opsive

Third person does, but first person doesn't because there isn't a way to swap out the materials per camera so when you look at your split screen partner their materials use the full body instead of having the head removed. As soon as I get that solved then I'll include split screen in the feature list for all of the assets.

This image describes the upgrade flow.

mattis89 likes this.
  39. mattis89

mattis89

Sounds awesome!

40. mattis89

mattis89

Hmmm yea I guess I just buy them, still confused But same price if I buy one at a time or cheaper if I buy both first & third? just wondering about the checkout from assetstore

41. opsive

opsive

The cheapest is if you first checkout with UFPS 2 and TPC 2 at the same time, and then do a second transaction with FPC 2. This will give you the discount from UFPS 2 to TPC 2.

42. mattis89

mattis89

whats the difference between fpc and ufps? will anyhow buy as soon the splitscreen works. I understand these new controllers support more materials and AAA bullets effects from the store wich ufps 1 didnt?

43. VagabondOfHell

VagabondOfHell

I've been looking at purchasing the ultimate character pack and have noticed in a few places that there is an Agility Pack and Parkour Pack addon coming out for first person swimming and climbing. Is there an ETA for these? I'd be comfortable enough making them in the ability system as it seems straightforward to use, but would rather not put in the time if it isn't necessary.

Thank you
    Adam

44. opsive

opsive

UFPS doesn't include melee weapons whereas FPC does. This post includes a breakdown of what is included in each asset.

45. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at the Ultimate Character Controller. The Agility Pack should be released next month, but we don't have an ETA for the others. After we get the Agility Pack out we plan on working on the multiplayer addon because that has been a really popular request.

46. luniac

luniac

I know the VR component is in development, but im just curious as to what type of features are involved?

Also for the OnImpact callback for both melee and projectiles, maybe it's good idea to also add Impact Force to the callback?

Actually im kinda curious how do impact forces work on the Kinematic Character Controller?
    like for jumping, it applies a upwards force, how does that work? Is it explicitly setting velocity in code?

Where can i see a list of all the built in events? can't seem to find the spot in the docs.

thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  47. mattis89

mattis89

Thank you! Meele is a must so ‍♂️ .. What is the eta on the splitscreen for ufps/fpc?

48. opsive

opsive

Right now we have being able to pickup an item by holding it, flick reload, dropping, and a teleport ability. After we finish with the networking addon we'll flesh out the rest.

For support can you post on the opsive forums at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track the questions better and also allows for better searching :)

49. opsive

opsive

No ETA yet, it'll be after multiplayer though.

mattis89 likes this.
  50. luniac

luniac

that's cool, but you know with the free VRTK 4.0 coming out soon, an integration with that could be useful long term.

I had access to old forum cause i bought infinite runner pack back in the day, but i think new forum has new user database cause i can't log in.
    I haven't bought UCC yet cause still doing research.
    I'm curious about how the physics force works since im thinking of making physics based combat but the controller is kinematic, so im not sure who the Impact Force from the documentation actually works on it.