Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

Glad you are enjoying it! For support requests can you post on the opsive forums? This allows me to track support requests better. Also make sure you are looking at videos/docs for version 2 - vp_LocalPlayer is from version 1 :)

2. opsive

opsive

Version 2.0.6 has been sent to opsive store purchases and is slowly making its way out to the asset store. This version only adds support for Unity 2018.3 which made it to RC last week. If you aren't using Unity 2018.3 there is no reason to download this update.

3. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

thanks for reply.
    i cant regidter the forum...
    Forum system said "Could not find invoice. Please enter a valid invoice number to register".
    i can show you my Invoice number using e-mail.

4. opsive

opsive

Go ahead and try to register one more time. If it doesn't work feel free to send me a PM or email with your invoice number and I'll take a look.

5. opsive

opsive

One of the improvements for the melee system in 2.1 is the ability to have input combos start a particular attack. For example, you may only want to play a heavy slashing animation when the player performs a series of inputs such as down, right, down. Or you may want to play a special counter attack after the enemy got a hit on you. These situations can now be accomplished the the Ability Starter.

The Ability Starter is an abstract class that allows you to decide when the ability should start. It can be thought of as being similar to Ability.CanStartAbility with an Automatic start type, except it's generic so you don't have to code the conditions within a specific ability. A new start type of Custom has been created, and when it is set to custom you can select a class that inherits the AbilityStarter class. In version 2.1 we will be shipping an AbilityStarter that will start the ability after an input combo has been performed:

ComboTimeout.PNG

With the above setup the ability will start after the Action, Action, Crouch inputs have been detected with Button Down. If Combo 2 or Combo 3 is not detected within 0.2 seconds from the previous input then the combo will restart. This class is just an example, but the AbilityStarter API gives you full control over when you can start your ability:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         /// <summary>
    2.         /// Can the starter start the ability?
    3.         /// </summary>
    4.         /// <param name="playerInput">A reference to the input component.</param>
    5.         /// <returns>True if the starter can start the ability.</returns>
    6.         public abstract bool CanInputStartAbility(PlayerInput playerInput);
    8.         /// <summary>
    9.         /// The ability has started.
    10.         /// </summary>
    11.         public virtual void AbilityStarted() { }
    13.         /// <summary>
    14.         /// The ability has stopped running.
    15.         /// </summary>
    16.         public virtual void AbilityStopped() { }
    18.         /// <summary>
    19.         /// The object has been destroyed.
    20.         /// </summary>
    21.         public virtual void OnDestroy() { }

6. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hi. So I tried modifying the values in the Character IK Script: Position Spring and Rotation Spring with little avail. Maybe I'm editing the camera motion in the wrong area?

I'm looking for the camera motion when I "right-click" and zoom in, but remove the zoom in camera part when Im in the default motion.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. opsive

opsive

For support can you post on the opsive forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This will allow me to track the requests better. If you can also add more detail to what you are trying to do that would be helpful.

8. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Sure, I can do that. I'm looking for the camera motion when I "right-click" and zoom in, but remove the zoom in camera part when I'm in the default movement.

9. opsive

opsive

10. opsive

opsive

Along with version 2.1 we are also working on the Agility Ability Pack. The Agility Ability Pack will contain 7 abilities focused on different agility animations. We plan on including the following abilities in this pack:

Balance
    Crawl
    Dodge
    Hang
    Ledge Strafe
    Roll
    Vault

A few of these abilities existed in version 1 of the Third Person Controller and compared to version 1 we plan on expanding on the abilities so they are able to do more. One of the things that we are expanding on is the hang ability. When you are hanging you will be able to jump hang to different hang objects in the horizontal and vertical direction. You will also be able to hang on rounded objects.

hang.PNG

TonyLi likes this.
  11. Tethys

Tethys

You may have heard it before, but UFPM really should be folded into UFPS. I haven't played a shooter yet that doesn't have a basic melee attack that players use close up in combat - from COD and BF to Destiny - its a basic function that came with UFPS 1. This means that UFPS comes broken, missing a basic function - melee. Requiring devs to purchase a second $70+ package that only has melee to fix the missing functionality, essentially broken UFPS, just comes off as not very dev friendly and kind of money grubby. It's probably already been said but here it is again - just doesn't seem right and I have changed my mind on purchasing this asset until that part is fixed. While I can appreciate your need to make money, us spending 2-3 times the money to get in UFPS 2, that which came with UFPS 1, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your feedback. We are still evaluating the different sub controllers to see what makes sense and you're correct in that UFPM is the least popular sub controller. If you have UFPS you can upgrade to the First Person Controller for the difference of $20 so you don't need to purchase another $75 package.

We aren't making anything more by having UFPM - if we just had UFPS which included melee we wouldn't have FPC and UFPS would have a price point of $95. Instead UFPS is $75 and there is a $20 upgrade to FPC.

Tethys likes this.
  13. Tethys

Tethys

Hey thanks for clearing that up - so it looks like I could just pay $20 to upgrade to the other package and have both. Seeing that one is on sale right now that is reasonable. Thanks for listening to the feedback. I'm wondering, is purchasing the UFPS and then upgrading to TPC an option as well, to obtain the melee and Third Person Perspective?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    opsive likes this.
  14. opsive

opsive

UFPS/FPC and TPC are independent in terms of upgrade paths. From FPC you can upgrade to UCC for the price difference, or if you get TPC then having FPC and TPC is the equivalent of UCC (unfortunately there isn't a way to combine upgrades into a single asset on the Asset Store)

15. Tethys

Tethys

@opsive - Ok got it - can the assets UFPS and TPC be combined, from a functionality standpoint? Price wise since they are both on sale, it would be cheaper than buying UCC and between the two it has everything I need.

16. opsive

opsive

With UFPS and TPC you won't have first person melee weapons, but FPC and TPC will work together.

Tethys likes this.
  17. Tethys

Tethys

I went with Third Person Controller for now. Good deal on it and it has most of what we need for now. Thanks again for the information.

opsive likes this.
  18. MetaDOS

MetaDOS

Where can I follow the progression of networking solution?

19. opsive

opsive

I will likely be creating a new thread specifically for the multiplayer addon on the WIP section of the opsive forum. For anything more major I'll also post about it here or on twitter.

Right now I am updating the thread for version 2.1 and the agility pack.

20. MetaDOS

MetaDOS

Please let us know when you create the thread.

Tethys likes this.
  21. GEOMETRICBYTES

GEOMETRICBYTES

Hello, please, could you inform me where I can find the control to crouch? I need to move true to a variable to mark that the player is in stealth mode.

22. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the opsive forum? This will allow me to track requests better.

Thanks!

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

I purchased Behvior Designer and Third Person Controller in May. TPC cost 67,- at the time. Today I wanted to download and try it for the first time, but the store page says this:

"This version of Third Person Controller 1.3.11 has been deprecated from the Asset Store and replaced by this version(s) of the package:
    Third Person Controller 2.0.7
    This version of Third Person Controller 1.3.11 is no longer available."

Now I see that the new version costs 84.87. Even for 42.43 during the sale that upgrade price is steep.

I'm confused, what's happening? I don't mind having to pay an upgrade price for a maintained asset, but that's a very disappointing overkill.

24. opsive

opsive

Version 1 was deprecated in September and May was beyond the grace period of getting the upgrade for free. The normal upgrade price of TPC is $57 USD but the current sale is less than the upgrade price so it is using the sale price.

25. Reiner

Reiner

hi when you think multiplayer is finished?

MetaDOS likes this.
  26. opsive

opsive

I am holding off on implementing Unity's new networking implementation until it is mature but I hope to have PUN released in the first half of 2019. I hope that this is a conservative estimate but I won't really get into it until after we release version 2.1 (planned for January).

27. Reiner

Reiner

okay thx for the quick answer :)

opsive likes this.
  28. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!

I sent you an email but didn't get any answer. This is not technical support, I believe, so I'm going to try ask it here :)

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I'm not seeing this in any FAQ.

I own UFPS v1, and I can see reviews from v1 in the current v2 asset.

I can see there's two different Opsive developers now on the store, one called (UFPS) Opsive, and another just Opsive (not sure about the reasons, but it surely makes impossible to upgrade from v1 to v2).

The UFPS I own should be v1 as well, since in its description says in bold "DO NOT PURCHASE this version - version 2 has been released!"

yet, I see no options for upgrading to v2.
    Is this intended? Does everyone owning v1 have to pay in full again for v2 (description implies it's the same product)?

I see the asset is now on sale, yet, I'm wondering if the absence of an upgrade option is intentional or not.

I gladly reinvest my profits back in the asset store, yet this is probably the only one case I see this clear "separation" and no technical way to make any upgrade option to v2 for v1 owners.
    ...and it kind of puzzles me.

Am I missing something? Is/Was there actually a way/chance/time window to upgrade and I missed it? :/

Rowlan likes this.
  29. opsive

opsive

The upgrade from v1 to v2 is still active, it's just that the current sale price is cheaper than the upgrade price so that's why you aren't seeing the upgrade price. Hopefully that helps!

30. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks!

That could be the reason. I still think that this is rather unusual that upgrading from v1 (€81.74 VAT included) to v2 (€81.74 VAT included) is:

(I had to revert to the old store since the new store doesn't say when it's an update and when it's not)

And the upgrade price is undiscounted (49 instead of 24.5 maybe. Here appears as 40.87 because it's 9 dollars lower):

But, well, even if this means that being a previous customer of the asset doesn't grant equivalent benefits during sales, it's still a great thing that you're offering the base asset at a bargain price :)

Also, nice thing to know that Unity allows cross-developer/cross-account upgrades, I thought it was not possible before today - but I believe Unity decides about it on a per-case basis :)

Thanks for the blazing fast reply!

Best,
    Alex

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    opsive likes this.
  31. opsive

opsive

Thanks!

This definitely took some patience :) They sort of have a method now, but it's a manual process.and ended up taking 11 months for the upgrade to be added. I hope that now that it has been done once it would be a quicker process for any future cases.

32. holodevice

holodevice

Where are the videos & documentation for the older version?

Bought this in May, 2018. Trying to use it first time now.

You guys refused for the free upgrade. That's bad for customers and does not reflect good on you the sellers.

33. opsive

opsive

Unfortunately May 2018 was before the grace period for the free upgrade. I'm sorry that it was before the grace period but we had to cut it off somewhere. All of the old resources are at https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/UFPS/

34. holodevice

holodevice

Will the older version work in the latest Unity versions or ?
    Unity 2017.4.13f Few errors on import.

Assertion failed: GetObject failed to find Object for Library Representation: name 'RunForwardOneHand' path 'Assets/UFPS/Base/Content/Art/Body/Animations/RunForwardOneHand.FBX' guid 4bea189f5a8e647f08c31194e4939463

&
    more

35. opsive

opsive

To keep this thread focused on version 2 please post any version 1 support questions on the version 1 forum at https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum.

36. holodevice

holodevice

• We couldn't confirm your email. Check the link in the email we sent you or try sending another confirmation email.
    I could not post in your forum.

37. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Hey there, new here. Anyone who purchased the original UFPS is basically left stranded, unless we buy the 2.0 version?

38. holodevice

holodevice

"Unfortunately May 2018/ur pur date was before the grace period for the free upgrade. I'm sorry that it was before the grace period but we had to cut it off somewhere."

They will say/send/post the (one above) same static message to every one asking.

39. opsive

opsive

The last update to UFPS 1 adds compatibility with Unity 2018.3 but UFPS 1 will no longer be receiving updates and will no longer be supported.

40. kotor

kotor

I own Third Person Controller 1. How to upgrade to version 2 and how much it costs. Right now the sale going on for $47. Do I get further discount ?

Thanks

41. opsive

opsive

No - the sale price is less than the upgrade price. We will be playing with the upgrade price in 2019 but right now I don't have any idea on when we will be or for what percent.

42. ddesmond

ddesmond

do you get a discount on UCC if you own UFPS v1 and third person controller?

43. opsive

opsive

If you purchase v2 of UFPS or TPC then a discount will be applied so you only need to pay the difference. There isn't a way to combine upgrades on the Asset Store so you can't join two products into one. If you have the First Person Controller and the Third Person Controller that is the exact same set of files as UCC though.

44. ddesmond

ddesmond

thanks for the quick response, one more question, what is the difference between tpc and ultimate tpc?

45. ddesmond

ddesmond

sorry I misread it, it is Ultimate third person shooter

46. opsive

opsive

That's correct - TPC versus UTPS. On the first page there is a comparison chart but UTPS doesn't include melee weapons where as TPC does.

47. ddesmond

ddesmond

purchased ufps and tpc, keep up the good work!

opsive likes this.
  48. ddesmond

ddesmond

for some reason I am getting an error itembuilder.cs(591,101) the type or namespace name FirstPersonMeleeWeaponProperties does not exist in the namesapce

49. opsive

opsive

For support can you please post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track these types of requests better :)

50. opsive

opsive

In version 2.1 the attribute system has been expanded to the items:

1. The shield will now use the Attribute Manager instead of having a separate Durability field. This gives you more flexibility in defining if you'd like the shield to be able to restore itself:

ShieldDurability.PNG

2. UsableItems have two different attributes: one that affects the item itself, and one that affects the character.
    • The first attribute (called Use Attribute) affects the Attribute Manager that exists on the item itself. An example use is for melee weapons and wanting to give them a set number of uses because their durability degrades with each use.
    • The second attribute (called Character Use Attribute) affects the Attribute Manager that exists on the character. An example use is affecting the character's stamina value with each use.
    UseAttribute.PNG

One of the next features that I plan on adding is the ability for the item to be removed when the durability reaches 0.

Tethys likes this.