Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. Onevisiongames

Onevisiongames

Another quick question regarding the footstep Sounds, where can we access the jump and land Audiosources of the player and assign them to an audio mixer?

2. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Any update on your plans for Multiplayer since Unite is over?

3. syscrusher

syscrusher

I don't speak for @opsive, but I believe the multiplayer is partly held up by a Unity bug that they are waiting to have solved. If I recall, it had to do with the way Unity propagates animation state over the network, but I could be wrong.

4. opsive

opsive

For support can you post on the opsive forums? This allows me to track requests better and also allows for better searching.

5. opsive

opsive

We are going to first release a multiplayer addon with PUN 2 support, and wait for Unity's implementation to mature. This should go somewhat quicker since PUN 2 is client authoritative.

Tethys likes this.
  6. opsive

opsive

That bug ended up being closed as by design. I don't completely agree with the conclusion but there's nothing more that I can do and will have to work around it. I think that I have an idea on how to do that but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

syscrusher likes this.
  7. SharkTeam

SharkTeam

What about Photon Bolt integration?

8. opsive

opsive

That's planned as well. I talked to the Photon guys and they recommended that I start with PUN because it's their more popular implementation.

9. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for linking the bug report. I wonder if they are de-prioritizing bugs like this because of the upcoming rebuild of the network features in Unity?

10. lod3

lod3

Can UFPS2/FPC2 be installed over legacy UFPS1, or do they need to be installed from scratch? Just curious as I've put a lot of work into customizing UFPS1.

11. opsive

opsive

They can both be imported, but the API is completely different so it'll require those same customizations again. If you are in the middle of a project I recommend waiting to upgrade until that project is completed.

12. iunami

iunami

Is there an ETA on the pun2 support? Curious

13. opsive

opsive

No ETA yet - I'll post here as I am making progress. PUN2 will be one of the next addons released though.

14. PeterB

PeterB

I apologise in advance if this question has been answered before, but I was wondering if the 2018.3 betas are supported? I get lots of import errors in 2018.3.0b9, which is the latest one.

15. opsive

opsive

Since Unity betas are a moving target they are not supported. I'll ensure that it works with 2018.3 before it is released.

PeterB likes this.
  16. PeterB

PeterB

Thanks for the reply. However, when I try to import UCC into a 2018.1.9f2 project, I get the following errors. Reimporting does not fix them:

Screenshot 2018-11-10 at 21.40.47.png

Any ideas?

17. opsive

opsive

Take a look at the importing section of the docs - that looks like a namespace issue. For future support questions can you post on the opsive forums? This will allow me to track the support requests better.

18. TechTools

TechTools

Hi, and thanks for this controller. So far I'm very impressed with how powerful, smooth and flexible it is. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have the Ultimate 3rd person shooter and after adding a character, and a weapon pickup I cannot pickup the weapon. I've added the PickupItem ability already but when I walk over the weapon it does nothing. The pickup is from the demo and works fine with the Nolan character. Another unrelated question, how would I add projectiles for weapons such as the pistol, assault rifle and shotgun?

Also, I'm not sure what profiles are as they aren't covered in the documentation, as far as I can tell. I tried using the Nolan profile on my new character in case it fixed the weapon pickup problem but that didn't work.

19. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post your questions on the opsive forum? This will allow me to better track support requests. Also make sure you take a look at the videos as I think that a couple of your questions are answered in the item and state videos.

20. TechTools

TechTools

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check the videos again and if I still need help I'll post in the forum.

21. derkoi

derkoi

As an UMA user, I'm very interested in your plans to support it. Will you be figuring a way to hide the head and arms of UMA characters and using seperate UMA arms?

Also I'm interested in the VR addon, will it contain different comfort levels?

Thanks

Edit: Purchased it anyway as it looks so good. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  22. opsive

opsive

Right now I have the UMA integration working with a third person character. I'm not sure on the first person aspect - I need to dig deeper into UMA to see if there is a way I can separate out just the arms with UMA. Do you have any experience with doing something like this in UMA?

Comfort levels are more of a gameplay feature so the addon will provide the ability to have different features that you'd enable/disable depending on the comfort level, but the addon won't contain different comfort levels since that is game specific.

Thank you :)

derkoi likes this.
  23. derkoi

derkoi

Third person isn't a problem since UMA has the bone builder now. I use UMA in first person with a modified standard assets controller but I have to angle the body back so the head doesn't show on my camera view. It's very hacky. I did experiment with using a different material for the UMA head in the recipe, that's probably your best option. There's a very active slack channel that might provide more insight.

I think I meant Locomotion not comfort levels. I was hoping for different movement modes like teleport or rotating in segments. I'd probably use this for comfort levels https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/camera/vr-tunnelling-pro-106782

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  24. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I'll take a look at that slack channel to see if I can figure out how to make it work for first person.

Ah - for this you could enable/disable an ability based on the comfort level. For example, if you want your comfort mode to use the teleport ability (which will be included in the VR addon) you could ensure this ability is enabled and not the restrict rotation ability.

derkoi likes this.
  25. derkoi

derkoi

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

26. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

Just updated from UFPS 1 and TPC 1 to FPC2 and TPC2, ($122 effectively more than the UCC if I include what I paid for the base two) and there is a charge of $85, for whatever reason, its not seeing that I already have TPC2.

27. opsive

opsive

If you have FPC2 and TPC2 that's the exact same set of files as UCC. You aren't able to combine upgrades into one product on the Asset Store.

28. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

Thanks for the clarification, if I wanted to use both, as if I was using UCC, what would be the process? just import both projects?

29. opsive

opsive

That's correct. With both FPC and TPC imported that's the exact same set of files as having UCC imported.

30. opsive

opsive

Mark_01 likes this.
  31. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have been doing some testing of UCC 2.0.5 on a Voxeland terrain, with the Crab Alien model from the Asset Store. With the standard Unity character controller, I'm unable to get the AI to move more than a few meters before it stalls, even on the flat parts, because of the peculiarities of the voxel collision mesh. With UCC, as you can see in the video I've linked below, it works really well and has great foot IK for both AI and human-controlled characters. The lead character here is AI, while the follower is a dual-mode (FP and TP) human-controlled character. Another interesting factor here is that this alien model (which, by the way, looks much better in a real scene with decent lighting) is somewhat larger than human-sized, so I have scaled the animation time using UCC's settings to make it look more ponderous.

The movement isn't perfect. I will be posting to the Opsive forums with another short clip showing a minor bug I have found. But compared to Unity's standard controller, UCC is leaps and bounds ahead. I am especially impressed with the ability to handle extreme slopes and step heights. I have a slope limit of 55 degrees and a step height limit of 0.6 meters on both of these characters, and it works wonderfully.

opsive likes this.
  32. opsive

opsive

This is awesome. Both Sarah and I love seeing how people are using the controller. I'm glad it's working so well! (I'm taking a look at your forum post now :) )

Mark_01 and syscrusher like this.
  33. opsive

opsive

We are starting to work on the feature list for version 2.1 and one of the areas that we'd like to focus on relates to the melee system. @Hamesh81 posted a lot of great suggestions - anybody else have any other features that they'd like to see?

34. castor76

castor76

I have tried to play the demo, but the character just falls through floor. It happens in build as well as webgl demo. :(

35. opsive

opsive

That's no good.. which demo are you trying? The Ultimate Character Controller demo? Also, at what point does the character fall through the floor?

36. castor76

castor76

Oh. Just tried The Ultimate Character Controller demo, and it does work. The one that has the problem is the Third Person controller demo. It happens right away. :D

-- Edit --

Bought the asset anyway!

37. opsive

opsive

Thanks for letting me know. Looks like my build script didn't assign the animators correctly for any of the demos besides UCC. Uploading new demos now :) The Asset Store version doesn't have this problem.

Thank you!

38. opsive

opsive

@TriaDev -

I replied to your TPC review on the store but the Asset Store notification system isn't very good. Take a look at my reply for full details but it sounds like you using the Ultimate Character Controller Demo scene instead of just the Third Person Controller Demo scene. The UCC demo scene requires that you have the First Person Controller and lot of errors will output if you don't.

39. opsive

opsive

Things have settled down in terms initial bug fixing/workflow improvements so we've started to work on new features. The next planned release is version 2.1 and this will bring a lot of new features. To start with, in version 2.1 you'll be able to set custom scales on your character's transform. While this seems like a standard Unity feature it has to specifically be added when the controller is doing all of the collision detection.

DtXK2X_UUAAj5Vs.jpg large.jpg

Mark_01 likes this.
  40. Tethys

Tethys

Following development on this, looks great. We have the original UFPS with the Multiplayer add on but never got around to using it in a project. We're now getting ready to start our newest project/prototype and we want to use the new UFPS 2, but require the Multiplayer component. We are eagerly awaiting the launch of this extension and will pull the trigger on UFPS 2 once you have the MP in place. In the meantime, great job, asset is looking fantastic!

41. opsive

opsive

Thanks! We should have the pun multiplayer addon out towards the start of 2019. After we release version 2.1 and the first ability addon that's what I'll primarily be focused on.

42. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

I purchased UFPS2, I am puzzled by sudden many error.
    i open UFPSdemo and i start the scene. setup is completed https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/videos/
    but it's not work.
    version: unity 2018.3.0b12
    could you help me? thanks.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.DeterministicObjectManager.SetCharacterMovementInputInternal (System.Int32 characterIndex, System.Single horizontalMovement, System.Single forwardMovement) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/DeterministicObjectManager.cs:399) Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.DeterministicObjectManager.SetCharacterMovementInput (System.Int32 characterIndex, System.Single horizontalMovement, System.Single forwardMovement) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/DeterministicObjectManager.cs:388) Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.Update () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:71)

43. opsive

opsive

This looks like it is an error specific to the Unity beta. While we are not officially able to support all Unity betas/alphas, I do have a fix for this and it will be sent to the Asset Store before 2018.3 is released. Feel free to get in contact with me if you'd like this fix early. Also, for future support, please post on the forums at https://opsive.com/forum, the discord channel, or email.

Can you please also update your review on the Asset Store?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  44. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

ok,
    Thank you developer.
    I am looking forward to it!

opsive likes this.
  45. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

It will be good support for not only for latest version of unity, need support for LTS version of unity.

46. opsive

opsive

Definitely. I have the new version ready to go that adds 2018.3 support, just need to make sure Unity doesn't change anything last minute before they release 2018.3.

Mark_01 likes this.
  47. opsive

opsive

In version 2.1 a new gravity zone component has been created allowing your character to change gravity dynamically instead of just based on the surface normal. In this example a gravity zone has been added to two planets so the character can jump between them:

48. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey, I would like to know if there is a camera shake component on projectile impacts and explosions. I didnt see anything of the sort in the documentation. Thanks

49. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

hi, team.Thank you for a awesome tool!!!
    btw, where is vp_LocalPlayer or such the script?
    I saw manuals and videos, but I couldnt find it.

50. opsive

opsive

Effects are perfect for this. For future support please post on the opsive forum - this allows me to track requests better and allows for better searching :)

Blackghost likes this.