Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. Ascensi

Ascensi

Ok if you need any help getting Megasplat setup for Voxeland let me know.. Although as I've said above I'm no coder but can test and help you through Megasplat/Voxeland integration a -people can get fooled by initial settings, panic and think things have gone wrong. I'm not that well familiar with UCC or previous versions due to waiting for more VR integration so it will take me a bit of time to go through that. In the mean time when you're ready to add Megasplat if you like I can PM you solid quick but complete steps to get up and running so you don't have to dig all the material up because they're all mix up in different tutorials in versions etc :) if you're ok with that I'd send you that asap.

syscrusher likes this.
  2. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks, and again just to clarify, I'm currently *not* using Megasplat because it's not required for my current project. Your offer of help is appreciated, and I'll keep it in mind when I'm ready, but for now what I'll be doing is directly between Voxeland and UCC. :)

3. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK though I don't know why the demo that comes with it is running slow starts of well enough but slws down I will experiment more I hope I don't need a new graphics card I have a 12 GB memory rig with ATI Radeon 7000 series GB Setup

4. Blackghost

Blackghost

I have a question about the projectiles. Can I replace the current projectiles and impact effects with any of the asset stores special effects packs easily? Is it as simple as replacing the prefabs?

5. opsive

opsive

That really depends on the asset - the Projectile component needs to be added and it will get a reference to the particle system to start/stop it but for anything more than that it will require some type of an integration.

6. Blackghost

Blackghost

Ok, so the materials and textures can be replaced easily, aside from the scripting?

7. opsive

opsive

Definitely on the materials and textures - the projectile component doesn't care about that.

Blackghost likes this.
  8. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Can't I just use the UCC or FPS controller for vehicles I was wondering? And why does the in game demo slow down and when I go to shoot the bullets don't come out? I am not talking about the stand alone demo that works OK

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  9. opsive

opsive

No - vehicle controllers require completely different logic compared to character controllers. For support please post on the opsive forum so I can track it better. You'll also want to profile as that will tell you want the bottleneck is.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK

11. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK I have posted on your forum I will get the bottleneck later for you

12. opsive

opsive

Mark_01 and syscrusher like this.
  13. Blackghost

Blackghost

Ok great. I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

14. opsive

opsive

IrishDev and Onevisiongames like this.
  15. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK I have Nolan on the planet Vultron but when I try to add scripts I am either getting a ''Script needs to be attached to Monobehaviour'' error or ''This is an Editor Script '' or I am getting '' The Script can't be abstract'' Error Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here when adding scripts please?

16. opsive

opsive

This sounds like a Unity related error message. I recommend doing a search on the Unity forum for this as it is not specific to the Ultimate Character Controller.

17. opsive

opsive

New video explaining the Ultimate Character Controller / Behavior Designer integration scene:

Tethys, Mark_01 and syscrusher like this.
  18. opsive

opsive

The Ultimate Character Controller is now integrated with the A* Pathfinding Project. You can see the docs for this integration here.

APathfinding.jpg

syscrusher likes this.
  19. herun

herun

Can you predict the release date of Networking part ?One month, two months, three months or more,and is it use photon?

20. opsive

opsive

I don't want to estimate a date because there is a lot that can change but I'll be at Unite next week and will find out more about Unity's new networking implementation so I'll have a better idea then. The goal is to create an abstract networking layer that adds support for multiple implementations including pun.

21. opsive

opsive

New video is up showing how to script a new ability:

syscrusher, Mark_01 and 99thmonkey like this.
  22. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

This video is great! Very easy to understand! Can't wait til I have money so I can buy UCC.

opsive likes this.
  23. witcher101

witcher101

Does third person controller has hipfire. Is it possible to create old tombraider like shooting mechanism with UCC.

24. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Can you make a video on gravity? I want to make my character walk on a sphere And I can't find where the Align to Ground instructions are it would be nice to see how its done

25. opsive

opsive

Yes
    Can you explain in particular what you are looking for?

26. Toby31

Toby31

Hi Justin,

Wanted to ask if UFPS 2 is compatible with some of the assets that are compatible with UFPS 1.
    1, inventory Pro?
    2, Flow Canvas, Bolt, Visual scripting?
    3, Locks and safe cracking template? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/locks-safe-cracking-105408

I'm trying to decide if its worth me upgrading to version 2 and it's hard to decide when so many assets are compatible with version 1, it would be good to know what is compatible for clarity for me to plan future projects?

Thanks

Toby

27. opsive

opsive

There are a few integrations with version 2 but not as many as what was in version 1 yet. You should be able to use the reflection takes for the visual scripting assets (flow canvas, bolt) but there aren't any native integrations with the assets that you listed.

28. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Tried out the in game demo again and if I leave it for a while then it works and runs fine though I have to say the guns and arrow don't shooot I guess thats for us to work out how that is done right?

29. opsive

opsive

All of the weapons should shoot out of the box. If you're having issues feel free to post on the opsive forums with the steps to reproduce from a fresh project.

30. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK No problem did get it to work but now its not working again

31. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

What integrations are planned with UCC. Will be there the same integrations as in version 1?

32. opsive

opsive

I create the integrations based on the number of requests and I'd like to build it back up to what was in version 1. The next integration that I plan on adding is support for UMA.

derkoi, syscrusher and Mark_01 like this.
  33. lod3

lod3

What's the overhead like compared to UFPS1? Is this modular, in that unneeded features can be disabled so they aren't eating up cycles? Is adjusting all the movement, gun sway, etc. as easy to edit as it was in UFPS1? How about replacing weapons? Is there a regular machine gun template like in UFPS1? I'm currently using the basic "Advanced Player" character from UFPS1, love how it's stripped down and clean (no body or extra features that aren't needed), and wondering if I can achieve the same with this. Normally I would just stick to what I have which works, but there are some features in this that I'd like to have.

Lastly, could you go into how this asset handles its stock animations? Played the demo, but the animations are different from UFPS1 and don't feel as natural - almost unnaturally sped-up even. Can animation speed be adjusted? Thank you.

34. opsive

opsive

Yes - many components are optional and you can use the character builder and ability system to add/remove what you want to use. Take a look at these videos:

Yes - v2 still uses the spring system.

Take a look at this video:

There is an assault rifle which is similar

You can do the same - no body is required.

Version 2 uses the animator so you can adjust as you desire. Can you list specifically which animation looks sped-up? I'd love to take a look at that more in depth to see what you're referring to.

35. lod3

lod3

Thank you for the reply! I have to head into the office, but will go over the demo again tonight to identify the animations I mentioned. But glad to hear that it sounds like I can re-create what I have, but including the new features I'm interested in. More later.

opsive likes this.
  36. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

37. opsive

opsive

38. opsive

opsive

I have created a third person cinemachine view type - if you have experience with cinemachine and would like to try it out early feel free to get in contact with me and I'll send you the necessary files.

Blackghost and syscrusher like this.
  39. lod3

lod3

Turned out it was just the transition from reveal to idle on the AR and rocket launcher. Is it possible to adjust the transition speed?

Also, I noticed in the demo that shooting the mannequin's head played an audio file. Is that a surface feature where a sound plays an impact sound according to its material, or custom script? I don't recall hearing surface impact sounds anywhere else.

40. opsive

opsive

Yes - that's adjusted by the spring's damping/stiffness values similar to version 1.

Take a look at this page - the headshot is detected by the health component, and then a script is subscribed to the damage event which plays the audio

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. cometeor

cometeor

Did I miss something? How is the height of character controller changed automatically when start crawling?

42. lod3

lod3

That's awesome. So, I was confused when I realized I was evaluating the UCC demo, but I found the proper UFPS2 demo. I'm curious... why were melee weapons omitted when UFPS1 had the mace melee weapon?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  43. opsive

opsive

You didn't miss anything :) A component on the collider will automatically adjust the height based on the animator height.

44. opsive

opsive

This post has a good explanation on this.

45. lod3

lod3

Ah, I see. Makes sense; thanks for the link. So, if I upgrade to UFPS2 from 1, then upgrade again to FPC2, that's basically UCC without the extra perspectives?

46. opsive

opsive

Yes - that's UCC without the third person perspective.

lod3 likes this.
  47. lod3

lod3

Perfect. Thanks for the help :)

48. cometeor

cometeor

Which component? Does it get the height from animator's bounding box?

49. opsive

opsive

Can you post on the opsive forums for support? This will allow me to track requests better and also make it easier for searching if somebody has a similar question :)

50. syscrusher

syscrusher

Definitely interested, as Cinemachine figures prominently in my current project using UCC2. My characters are all AI-controlled third person. It may be a few days before I have time to engage on this, though. I am covering at work for two colleagues who are attending a technical conference this week, which is only fair since they covered for me last week during Unite. :)