Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. Toby31

Toby31

Hi I have purchased the UFPS version 1 and considering getting Version 2 but can't decide if its worth me buying it? whats the big difference between the two?
    seems like you have a more trimmed down version in 2 with an easier set up with additional purchases for things that are already included in 1.
    Do you plan to keep supporting version 1?

2. opsive

opsive

The major additions are the ability system, dual wielding, and dynamic gravity. There are lots of little things though so I recommend going through the demo/documentation to get a feel for it.

I really haven't gotten many questions on version 1 since version 2 has been released so my last update to version 1 will probably be to support Unity 2018.3 and then stop answering support questions after that. This is just thinking out loud though so we'll see how things go.

3. MrBeros

MrBeros

Wasnt there the ability to swim in TPC 1?
    Do we have this in UCC too? I didnt see swimming.

4. opsive

opsive

TPC 1 did have a swim ability - UCC is focused on the core character abilities and for the more advanced abilities such as swimming will be released them through an add-on pack. I am spending less time on bug fixing with UCC so things are getting more stable and I hope to be able to start on these add-ons soon.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

Just started porting my project from the old version over. Liking all the additions so far. I am having an issue with adding my own Assault Rifle. When i start the scene it aims correctly and lowers when i release the aim button, but as soon as I click fire, it does not play the fire animation and it is stuck in the aim idle state. Also, the Additive-Assault Rifle state is stuck in Attack Idle and prevents the weapon from being lowered/not aiming. I made sure always aim isn't on and when setting up the weapon I duplicated the animator controller for the assault rifle that is included, and put none for all the animations. I checked the events on those animations and didn't see any events so don't think that it has to do with the assault rifle animations but not sure.
    I went through the same steps with the included assault rifle and controller and seems to be fine, so it is when I add my own assault rifle model.
    Any ideas?

6. opsive

opsive

Glad you are liking it! For support can you post on the opsive forum? This will allow me to track support requests better :) The shootable weapon troubleshooting tips may also help.

7. opsive

opsive

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. SkandYxyz

SkandYxyz

Hey!

Any plans on updating Inventory Pro integration?

Best,
    Andre

9. opsive

opsive

DevDog is working on the Rucksack integration, though I don't know about Inventory Pro. I'll ask them about this.

10. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Can vehicles drive around that sphere? I will try testing the horse again

11. opsive

opsive

The horse would be able to if you enable align to ground, but the vehicle controller that you use would also have to be setup to be able to dynamically adjust gravity.

12. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Tried to do it but every time I went to ride the horse towards the transporter it disappeared still do I need the UCC to be able to walk and drive/ ride on a spherical planet and I take it A.I can do this as well?

13. opsive

opsive

Yeah, the demo specifically disables it because I haven't setup the horse to be able to adjust gravity. The horse uses the same locomotion system as the character does so the functionality would be the same though.

You do need to use the UCC locomotion to rotate with gravity, and whatever vehicle controller that you are using would also have to support dynamic gravity while being synchronized to the UCC gravity. Anything a player controlled character can do so can an AI agent so it would be able to adjust gravity directions.

14. syscrusher

syscrusher

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  15. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Go here for support: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php

syscrusher likes this.
  16. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

I guess I have to do my own vehicle controller then? And I bought the 1st version of UFPS so I guess I can get a discount? Of course I will have to buy UFPS 2 but might get it on Monday or Thursday

17. opsive

opsive

This looks related to the surface manager and it having a different material setup. If you can post on the opsive forum with the material that would be great so I can look into it.

18. opsive

opsive

That's correct.

Yes, the upgrade from UFPS 1 to 2 is $45.

19. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK Good but since I own UFPS 1 how will you be able to get me the discounts and yes the discount for UCC Too and I was thinking if there was a way to make this compatabile with Space Combat that then might work for vehicles I must admit I heard the mount instruction before ,the Torque Engine 3D I think

20. opsive

opsive

When you go to the Asset Store you'll have a $45 upgrade price for UFPS:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/106748

From there you can upgrade to UCC for the price difference ($105).

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

Will do, and sorry I forgot about the Opsive forums being separate. Absolutely no hurry on resolving this from my standpoint, because in my project I don't need the footstep sounds. :)

Done, new thread here. I turned my original post into a link to declutter this forum.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    opsive likes this.
  22. Ascensi

Ascensi

@opsive would your footstep/material sound system work with Megasplat to play sounds according to the painted terrain textures? I'd be using this not on Unity terrain but Voxeland.

23. opsive

opsive

I haven't used Megasplat but what do the materials look like? I haven't used Voxeland either but I'm working with @syscrusher now to figure out how to add support for it. Based on the error that he is receiving it looks like the surface system can't find the texture because the shader that is being used doesn't contain a main texture.

Ascensi likes this.
  24. Ascensi

Ascensi

Megasplat uses texture arrays, Voxeland has it's own array system as well but also works with Megasplat for expansion. Other than that I would suggest contacting @JasonBooth to know if its even possible and if not traditionally than that maybe a raycast color recognition system hitting directly below the character might work as long as the character is on a collider but it maybe too confusing for the system -too many colors ;)

25. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm happy to report that the AI option for UCC works correctly with a standard Unity NavMeshAgent on Voxeland terrains with fairly rough contours. This was something that the Unity "Standard Assets" character controller has had difficulty doing for me. I've got my test character using root motion for position animation (but not for rotation), and it looks great after some minor tweaks to the animation and motion speeds (required because my character is a humanoid alien that is slightly larger than a typical human).

This sounds like a small thing, perhaps, but the character part of my project has been held up because of this limitation of the Standard Asset controller.

Incidentally, if you're using AI and non-AI UCC characters in the same scene, and the camera is doing weird things, read this page in the UCC docs: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/camera/. When I set up my AI character, the UCC wizard tagged it as "Player", and the camera manager was choosing the AI as the target. It's clearly explained in the docs; I just hadn't seen that page yet. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    opsive likes this.
  26. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Look I am looking to buy today so how do I get the discount for UFPS 2 and The UCC? Because I can't see it on the Asset Store Plus can I make AI agents go to a vehicle and get into it or order it or them out of a vehicle and how could I do that?

27. opsive

opsive

After seeing @syscrusher's post I think that it can easily be supported assuming I know which texture to use. If the terrain uses multiple textures and the surface manager can only use one to determine which sound to play, which texture should it use? Voxelland/Land uses 20 textures - should it use the first one? The surface manager currently doesn't have the functionality to be able to group multiple textures into one effect.

syscrusher likes this.
  28. opsive

opsive

That's awesome to hear! The wizard shouldn't have tagged an AI agent as player so I just fixed that ;)

syscrusher likes this.
  29. opsive

opsive

You'll purchase UFPS 2 first, and then the updated price will be applied to UCC.

Not with the current functionality - this will require a new ability.

30. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK bought it (though I had to go through Paypal for some reason) And it will require a new ability for A.I to use vehicles? OK is there a way to do this, send the A.I to the vehicle, when its very near the vehicle it is turned of including in the renderer and the vehicle is activated when the vehicle is destroyed the A.I pilot is reactivated is there a way to that?

31. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your purchase. Yes - you can do all of that through the ability system. I recommend spending some time with the controller first and go through the documentation/videos to get a feel for it.

32. UserNotHere

UserNotHere

What is the difference between First Person Controller and UCC aside from the 3rd person functionality? There are so many controllers that are updated from one to another that I am getting lost in understanding them all. Does current FPC=FPC2? Because I do not see FPC2. Thanks.

33. magique

magique

If you're looking at Megasplat integration it is important to know that @jbooth provides some sample code for getting the texture information from the character position so that a footstep system can be implemented. I adapted it myself for a project a while back and got it working with Ootii's controller. I still have the code, but it's not something I can just copy and paste here. But if anyone wants to implement it themselves and needs help, PM me and I can assist.

opsive and Ascensi like this.
  34. R1PFake

R1PFake

Can you upload a demo video of the VR (Vive) features?

35. Ascensi

Ascensi

Just to be clear, I'm looking for sounds to be used for each different material/block in Voxeland. I guess if it works with the material land blocks listed in Voxeland then it may work with Megasplat.. but from reading your post it seems like to would only be able to have one block/one sound set up which for me wouldn't work. After materials are painted on a surface isn't there any coordinates recorded? it seems like there is since textures can be tiled and the individual areas painted are mapped and will show the textures being scaled. This is a grey area for me, I don't know what the road block would be that might negate UCC from being able to know where individual materials have been painted since once painted they are still able to be changed procedurally/scaled

syscrusher likes this.
  36. Ascensi

Ascensi

That's a relief to know! I hope@opsive could integrate this, I'm no coder but if it's a matter of cutting and pasting the code to specific areas that's easy enough.. but hopefully it just becomes integrated with UCC at some point.

37. syscrusher

syscrusher

I did some further testing last night after my post.

In Voxeland, each voxel will have one and only one of those textures active; you don't get the blending that some terrain shaders can do. (Well, actually, it *does* blend, but it does so at the voxel boundary and not in a way that you could detect from an API, so not relevant here.) I'm pretty sure there is a Voxeland API call that, given a voxel position, can tell which "land block" type (roughly, their term for which texture is used) is applied to that specific voxel.

As an interim, though, I was able to make the error vanish by setting a fallback material as you suggested in the foot effect inspector of UCC. (Forgive me for imprecision here, as I don't have the Unity project available just now to get your exact parameter name.)

I'll see if I can dig up the needed API functions to grab the texture number index given a Vector3 position, and assuming I can make that work, I'll share a code snippet with you -- if this would help. Again, I don't speak for the other poster asking about this topic, but from my standpoint @opsive everything I need in the short term is working well for me, so I'm not at all upset if you want to table my issue for a while and revisit it later after I get you some further data. :)

opsive likes this.
  38. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hi! I hadn't yet seen this when I posted my latest, but it sounds as if you and I should coordinate efforts. I think @opsive can get this done for both of us if we provide them with the needed Voxeland details. I'm willing to do that if you don't have time, but I'm in the middle of my company's annual meeting, so it will likely be a couple of days before I have time to work on it. Let me know if you're planning to move ahead on your own, so we don't duplicate efforts. :)

Addendum: FYI, I have a license for Megasplat but have not yet used it; I grabbed it on sale for an upcoming project but don't actually need it for my *current* project.

39. syscrusher

syscrusher

Tremendous and proactive support, as always...thanks. :)

40. opsive

opsive

That is the only difference.

Yes :)

41. opsive

opsive

@Ascensi @syscrusher - it does sound like there needs to be some type of integration with Voxelland/Megasplat in order to have full functionality of the surface system with those assets. UCC is getting to be more stable but I'm still smoothing out some edges before adding new features/integrations.

syscrusher likes this.
  42. opsive

opsive

We are still developing the VR addon - as soon as I have something to show I definitely will :)

R1PFake and Mark_01 like this.
  43. R1PFake

R1PFake

I have a few more questions about VR if you dont mind:
    - Will the input be based on the native Unity XR classes or on the individual VR SDKs?
    - I think this asset has a bow weapon, will bow/arrow also work with VR motion controller?-
    - Melee weapons (or any object) attached to VR motion controller can often have collision detection issues if you move the controller really fast, did you also have this problem and will you add additional code/checks to prevent these "missed" collisions for fast moving motion controllers?
    - Is IK supported for VR full body "avatars", for example to see the movement of other VR players in multiplayer (or to see your own movement if you look down)?

Im already working with VR (Vive) projects and currently using my own input/weapon handling, but I might buy your first person controller in the future, depending on the VR support.

44. opsive

opsive

Native Unity classes

I'm not sure on this yet - we just have pistols working right now but the bow would be neat.

I haven't added melee weapon support yet. We won't release the addon until melee weapons work well.

No - for this you'll likely want to use something like FinalIK.

45. R1PFake

R1PFake

Thanks for the info so far.

About the bow, not sure if you already know this but if you download the SteamVR SDK in Unity there are VR mechanic examples and there is also the full code of the "The Lab" bow/arrow and as far as I understand it's allowed to reuse the code for any other project, maybe you can get some inspiration from their implementation, because many people say that the "The Lab" bow is still one of the best VR bows.

opsive likes this.
  46. Mark_01

Mark_01

Will you guy's be able to test the VR add-on for oculus rift as well ?
    Thank you.

47. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I haven't seen it but I definitely will now!

Definitely - I have both devices to test on. With Unity's XR layer the only real difference are the input button mappings.

---

Related to VR - if anybody is interested in developing this addon with me let me know. We have lots of plans for UCC and having some extra help with the VR addon would be awesome. This would be a paid position and I'm looking for somebody who already has VR development experience.

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. UserNotHere

UserNotHere

Thanks for the reply.Couple more question hopefully you can answer. What is the difference between Behavior Designer and Emerald AI. They seem to have similarities but BD has more "stuff". EAI seems to have animator functionality does BD have it likewise?

49. opsive

opsive

To keep this thread on topic can you post this in the Behavior Designer thread?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/behavior-designer-behavior-trees-for-everyone.227497/

50. UserNotHere

UserNotHere