Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. akalabeth0

akalabeth0

Hello, Opsive.
    I've purchased just today your Third Person Controller product and I've received by email two messages, in the first there is the name of my account opsive (during the registration to purchase by your site I've recorded the password required into the registering form). I go then to login and says there is no account with that name.
    After checked for some time, I make a new registration, and Microsoft Edge saves the data (I put the number of the order [but it's wrong the request, that tells about the invoice while in the email message it's the order number]). So I try again to login and despite I use the recorded data from Edge, your forum site says there is no account with that name.
    Is it possible to have an account from your forum, then?
    Thank you

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Harekelas

Harekelas

Quick questions:
    Is the Ultimate Character Controller able to let us create a brand new combat system, say, like dark souls or mount & blade?
    Is it possible to use our own animations for the system?
    Does/Will it support EasyInput or it can allow us to write our own input source already?
    Does/Will it support UMA2 (or upcoming UMA3)?
    Does/Will it support Final IK or it has its own IK solutions?

3. opsive

opsive

You just need to import FPC and TPC - no need for UFPS in this case.

IrishDev likes this.
  4. opsive

opsive

Are you trying to register on the forum or the opsive store? Can you send me a PM with the registration details? Make sure you are using the https:// version of the site rather than http://

5. opsive

opsive

Yes, you're mostly referring to the melee weapons, correct? Right now the major features of the melee system are the ability to dual wield items, have recoil, and also combos. Also, one of the major focus points for the first feature update (version 2.1) will be to increase the functionality of the melee system.

Definitely - the controller uses Unity's animator controller so the workflow is familiar.

You can implement new inputs but I plan on adding an EasyInput integration. Right now I am working on finishing up a bug fix update and then will start to take a look at integrations. The input integrations are easy to add so I plan on looking at those first.

There's actually already an integration posted on our forum but I plan on adding official support for it once things settle down.

http://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/uma-2-howto.14/

It can use Unity's IK implementation but I plan on adding FinalIK support.

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. cybersoft

cybersoft

Nice to heart that. :)

7. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hello again, thank you for the answers.
    I was just testing the demo build and found a bug:
    upload_2018-9-22_0-56-52.png
    When I try to jump slash down from the platform in the right, the character got stucked in this pose and cannot attack, move, change weapon or jump.
    Changing into first person view can let him move but no other actions, seems like some animation sequence jam.
    And I found the camera movement is quite jittering, not smooth at all. Expecting a dark souls level camera smoothness.
    Hope this helps improve the asset, really look forward to it.

8. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I'll take a look.
    The position smoothness of the view type can be adjusted and the input sensitivity/acceleration can also be adjusted to fit what you are going for.

9. akalabeth0

akalabeth0

I followed the link you sent me in the email message in order to register my account, it can't be wrong (unless it was wrong in the email).
    You say to send you the "PM", sorry but I'm new: what is a PM? Second, where I can send you that, if I don't see any email reference? I can't answer to that email (no-reply).

Another question: you have made a so good manual, and there is a good demo, but that is already finished (don't know why but in Unity 2017.3 the other demo, called UltimateCharacterControllerDemo, crashes any time I load it). Just because the matter is huge even if interesting, why don't you make a step by step example to create a simple demo? So many assets do that.
    From my side, I've created a new scene, made the setup, put and create the character, put and created the item. Now I may go around moving the character, and when I use the left mouse button to use the attack ability, it does a loop of a very fast animation, and the change between two (only) melee weapons I've put doesn't happen when I use the 'E' or 'Q' key. I've used the profile of the Sword when I created the two weapon, while I've used the profile of Nolan when I created the character.
    I didn't change anything on animator or on animations. For this reason I am surprised, because I used the same animator used in the demo, and so I was expected to find the same animation, but it is wrong (a loop) and not the right one.
    Where I may take a look to check why?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  10. opsive

opsive

Private message, or you can send me an email at support@opsive.com.

The UltimateCharacterControllerDemo scene included with TPC and FPC is currently missing some references. Take a look at this post for more details. I have it fixed for the next version which should be released shortly. Please post any support requests on the opsive forum as it allows me to track things better. You should also be able to follow along with the videos at:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  11. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Can I add ITEM types such as health potion?

12. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

using unity 2018.2.9f1 when i build the character it falls through the floor

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. opsive

opsive

It's not built in but it would be fairly easy to extend to allow for this - you'd derive a new IUsableItem class and when the item is used the health increase would be applied. This would go along well with the spell/magic items that we are planning so I've written it down for a future update.

Mark_01 and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  14. opsive

opsive

chrisabranch and Mark_01 like this.
  15. nl2012

nl2012

First of all Sarah/Justin, what an awesome new controller, congratz! One question: in the "old" version of TPS i used the "cover" ability alot. In the latest version it is completely gone (in animator and layers) or am i missing someting? Will it come back or should i add as a generic ability (and also include all cover cams)? thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

My guess is it will be an add-on pack. A cover system is a lot of work on it's own, not to mention it can completely transform the type of game it is being used in, and not everybody will need it.

So yeah, an add-on pack seems like a smart way to go.

17. nl2012

nl2012

"not to mention it can completely transform the type of game it is being used in" correct and agree..thats why the question..;)

Deckard_89 likes this.
  18. opsive

opsive

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the controller :)

@Deckard_89 is correct - cover will come back in the Tactical add-on :) I haven't started on any of the ability add-ons yet, want to first ensure we have an extremely solid base, but after that the Tactical (and Agility for things such as vault and roll) will be the first set of add-ons that we work on.

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. nl2012

nl2012

Great news! Tactical add-on it is.Have a nice day..

opsive likes this.
  20. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Is there a UMA integration so that we can use the Charachter controller with UMA avatars?

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. opsive

opsive

I haven't been able to add any new integrations yet (hope to start this week with the input assets such as Rewired) but a community member has been able to add support for UMA: http://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/uma-2-howto.14/

Mark_01 likes this.
  22. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Very good to hear. Encourages my interest to buy this asset significantly.

opsive likes this.
  23. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

24. DaveFace

DaveFace

Our team has been testing this out (the third person controller) over the weekend and we've come up with a few bugs / issues:
    • Movement animation is stuttery. This might be fixed by using our own animations, but right now in the demo the forward walk animation skips frames. You can see this here.
    • If you walk forward and do an action that interrupts the walking animation (e.g. swing the sword) footstep sounds continue as if you're still walking
    • There is no controller deadzone / slower walk animation, so anything but full analogue stick input leads to this by default.
    • Walking into walls cycles the walk animation, rather than stops it playing

25. GWStudio

GWStudio

Any chance for true fps .. I mean Third character controller with FPS Camera

26. opsive

opsive

A second camera is the correct way to handle a first person view in Unity. There are workarounds to try to use just a single camera but none of them are as universal as a second camera. Eventually when SRPs are more mature I'd like to look at adjusting the culling order so you don't need this second camera but this probably won't happen for awhile.

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. opsive

opsive

Thanks - we'll take a closer look at updating the animations for these cases.

I am working on releasing an update now so the fix for this won't be included but I'll take a look after this update is out.

This will require a new ability to stop the animations. I have it on my list but I haven't been able to get to it yet.

28. opsive

opsive

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. IsntCo

IsntCo

30. opsive

opsive

31. ferretnt

ferretnt

We have a very short timeframe to mock up a small-environment 2v2 with LAN play (the final target won't be LAN obviously) for a review. We can cut most of our feature set to fit the timeframe, but we can't cut multiplayer. We also don't plan to take any of this prototype code forward to production.

Assuming that LAN-based multiplayer is an absolute requirement, one option is to simply hack something out of the UNET merry fragmas demos and not use UFPS at all. Is there any combination of UFPS that is currently in usable state with any version of networking (UNET or Photon) that we can use for a throw-away prototype?

32. opsive

opsive

The controller is structured to be able to handle networking, but our networking addon won't be released for many months from now. I'm waiting on the new unity networking implementation before I really get going with that addon again. With that said, I do know that people are already attempting to add networking but I'm not able to help much since networking is a huge subject.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

When do you plan to provide health potions and magic items? I want to know the approximate time.

34. opsive

opsive

I currently do not have an ETA for when we'll have the spell/magic items completed.

35. opsive

opsive

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  36. kotor

kotor

Justin,
    I have bought Third Person Controller 1 and Behavior designer. How do I upgrade to Third Person Controller 2. Do you think is there any advantage buying Third Person Controller 2 ?

37. opsive

opsive

On the Asset Store there should be a discount for $57 to upgrade to version 2. Version 2 started with a completely new project so the API is different from v1. If you are far along in your project I recommend that you do not upgrade. Other than that I'd take a look at the features within v2 and see if any are useful to you. Version 2 is about a week old so we're still getting going with it and working on adding new integrations and (somewhat soon) new ability addons.

https://opsive.com/assets/third-person-controller/

38. opsive

opsive

39. gavrus

gavrus

Is it possible to setup third person view for networked object in First Person Controller? If so, how?

40. opsive

opsive

The networking addon is not released but when it is it will support UFPS so you'll be able to see the full body of the remote players.

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

I'm very interested in the gravitational system. The Charachter can run on surfaces via AlignToGround, but if I want it to run on a planet, with mountains and everything around it, it would run up the mountain walls. is there a way to simply set an origin to orientate itself to (the center of a planet)?

42. opsive

opsive

For support requests can you please post on the opsive forums at https://www.opsive.com/forum? This will allow me to track the requests better and makes it easier for searching.

43. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

If we have requests in General, where do we post them? As I don't own the asset yet, I am not able to join the Opsive forums.

44. opsive

opsive

This forum works well for that case - I'm just trying to keep all support requests over in that forum because it's easier for me to track and ensure I've answered everything properly.

45. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

Sorry I think it was misleading, it's a theoretical question, I don't own the Ultimate Charachter controller yet, but I think it's definitely worth its money and would like to buy it. But with the proud price I would like to know in advance if I can use it for my application purposes. From your documentary i can see under the point "Gravity" that there is the AlignToGround function. but here i want to know if i can use it for a real planet. are there any other third plugins regarding gravity that are compatible with the Ultimate Charachter controller?

46. opsive

opsive

Ahh, I see. I haven't heard of any gravity assets integrated with UCC as the asset is so new, but I should be able to help answer your question. With align to ground selected the character will use the surface normal of the ground to determine the direction gravity points. In your case you'd want the gravity direction to be based off of the sphere's origin which shouldn't take too much work. I imagine that it would just be a component that is added to the sphere and sets the gravity direction of the character while the character is within the trigger. If you do end up purchasing UCC and post on the forum I should be able to help you implement it and then include it in the next release.

valentinwinkelmann and Mark_01 like this.
  47. JohnnyRey

JohnnyRey

If I have 1.7.4, how do I update to 2.0?

48. Mauri

Mauri

You'll need to follow the very complicated upgrade path that you can find on page 1 in the original post (or, for your convenience, attached below).

Should you struggle in upgrading (e.g something is unclear), then read the following posts from roykoma:
    - https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...rson-controller-2.533637/page-10#post-3695347
    - https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...rson-controller-2.533637/page-11#post-3695908

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  49. blacksun666

blacksun666

I'd love to have a list of what is exactly included in each of the above once you've gone through those uprgade processes. I'm still unclear if there is any functionality included in UFPS1 or Third Person Controller 1, that isn't included in UFPS2 or Third Person Controller 2? Further more if there is any additional functionality I would gain. Lastly if the modules that aren't released yet for Ultimate character controller (such as multiplayer or VR support) will be included for free once released and similarly with any integrations yet to be migrated to the new platform?

50. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK your advertisement says this can do ANY FPS game well a lot of Space Combat games are FPS and there are a lot of sandbox/survival games are FPS so what I am trying to say is can this do spheres? Can you use this for a FPS game on a Spheroid planet with driving and flying vehicles that both the Player and A.I can use?