Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Thanks for the reply. So does the speed up effect in the demo affect the entire scene? Is it just using Unity's built-in time system? (Like in UFPS basically?)

And yes I mean an action/event queue system, like you would use for AI pathfinding or explosions to prevent performance spikes. I like to use this asset to queue pathfinding for example.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/100283

2. opsive

opsive

The demo scene uses Time.timeScale but I realized later that I should change it to use the character's time scale. That piece was brought over from the UFPS demo scene and I didn't think of changing it at that time. I don't want to make any feature changes to the demo scene since we're so close to release but I do have it on my list to change.

Ah, yeah, the scheduler isn't that fancy like you suspected. It doesn't distribute the workload over multiple threads/frames and is really just a small class that will execute the event in the future based on the time.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  3. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Okay, good to know all of that ahead of time. Thanks for the replies.

4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Some basic set up videos just popped up on youtube for those who have not seen. I knew it would be easier, but the set up is also thorough. Much appreciated.

opsive and Adrad like this.
  5. opsive

opsive

Good eye :) The following videos have been uploaded:

Scene & Project Setup
    First Person Character Creation
    Third Person Character Creation
    Item Type Creation
    First Person Item Creation
    Third Person Item Creation

The next set of videos that I plan on adding are specifically setting up and configuring a couple of different options for shootable (the assault rifle and bow) and for melee weapons (a sword and punching/kicking).

6. natepacyga

natepacyga

@opsive I own both UFPS and TPC. I know you posted the upgrade paths, which come out to equal UCC, but will all the menus and flows be the same as if you bought the exact UCC asset? (Since it's really two assets together that equal UCC by your graphic) If not, then I will would want to buy UCC and not just upgrade to UFPS2 and TPC2. Just wanted to clarify this. Thanks for all your hard work on these assets and putting up with all the support questions. :)

IsntCo and Mohamed-Anis like this.
  7. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Yeah dude, it will be exactly the same thing for all affects and purposes. You won't need different tutorials or get different bugs or anything. It's modular. Everything executes the exact same way after you choose what to set up on your character (check the videos above).

The only thing different is that you might have to install both controllers from the asset store instead of just the combined controller. Since Unity doesn't support upgrading from two packages. I hate that. I'd go buy the full package if it were me. :p

8. IsntCo

IsntCo

Will Deathmatch AI Kit work out of the box with UCC? What about Playmaker?

Really hoping you're able to connect with Devdog/InventoryPro and Malbers/HorseAnimSet so they can have integration when UCC launches on the Asset Store! :)

Can't wait to try it!

9. magique

magique

Is there a playable demo of this new controller? Also, what integrations will work out of the box? I own several assets that integrate with TPC 1 and would not want to upgrade unless the integrations were already included.

[EDIT]
    I found the online WebGL demo so no worries on that question. I have another question though. Is it possible to get upgrade pricing through the Opsive store if the original purchase was through the Unity asset store?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  10. natepacyga

natepacyga

I hear ya, but which one has the menus / wizards then? I assume they will just magically detect the different character controllers? To me, it would seem like you would have to buy UCC to get everything you see in the videos. I just want @opsive to confirm this though.

11. Arganth

Arganth

send your invoice to opsive support
    thats how justin wrote it in this thread
    and it works ;) UCC yeah

magique likes this.
  12. opsive

opsive

@EvilGremlin is correct. FPC + TPC are same set of menus, editors, scripts, textures, animations, etc. It's the exact same functionality. There are a couple of minor differences:
    - It'll be two packages on the Asset Store instead of one
    - The demo scene with the FPC will contain the first person assets, while the demo scene with TPC will contain the third person assets. Thinking about this some I may try to include the UCC demo scene in the FPC and TPC packages so you can see it working together if you have both assets.

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. opsive

opsive

Deathmatch is going to be deprecated when we release v2 since it's not currently working with v2. Hopefully we'll be able to get it back on the store soon. Playmaker support won't be released at the launch but I hope to add it as well.

I sent both DevDog and Malbers an integration package earlier today and will help them with the integration if they need it!

Mark_01 and EvilGremlin like this.
  14. opsive

opsive

Only Behavior Designer is available right now, but hopefully the main ones won't take too long after release. I know some publishers are planning on having an integration ready shortly after release and I'll work on adding some as well. I don't have a timeframe on any of those integrations though.

I'm glad you found the RC3 demo. There have been a good amount of fixes since then and I plan on adding the new demo within a day or two. We're upgrading the opsive.com server tonight and then it should be ready for the new demos.

EvilGremlin and magique like this.
  15. magique

magique

@opsive I'm torn between sticking with TPC 1 and upgrading to TPC 2 so I'm looking for some guidance. I'm early in a new game development and barely got a single character in using TPC 1 so I can easily rip that out and go with and upgrade, but I don't want to do it if there's not enough upside to doing so. One thing I noticed in the Messy Coder's stream was that the jump/land looked much better, but aside from that I can't discern whether or not there are any compelling reasons to upgrade. I know that I risk a lot more bugs initially and I know that integrations will not be there immediately so there's that, of course. Those obvious things aside, what are good reasons to make the upgrade? Are there any major new features or fixes? Do I lose any features currently in TPC 1? Are there performance gains in the upgrade? Anything you can tell me to help make the decision easier. Thanks.

16. opsive

opsive

I recommend going through the demo scene that I'll upload within the next few days and also take a look at the docs:

https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/

In general things are a lot more polished compared to v1.. there's a reason it took us two years to release it :) The major things that aren't in v2 right now is the set of integrations and all of the abilities. We'll be adding both of these with enough time... Even without those it's still a much better controller compared to v1.

17. magique

magique

You mean like swimming, vaulting, horse riding, etc? None of those are there?

18. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

@magique Play around with the beta link. I personally like it, but don't have the money to buy it yet :( Bummer. I plan to buy UCC (but can't afford until closer to January) so no videos from me until then...

opsive likes this.
  19. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I am just parroting what Justin said in his Messy Coder interview and tutorial though. :p

You should watch these. (Everybody interested in UCC should really.)

Flurgle likes this.
  20. opsive

opsive

21. opsive

opsive

Just ignore all of the bugs.. they've been fixed since that interview :D

22. magique

magique

That's kind of a deal killer then. I don't mind upgrading, but there are some key missing abilities. I'm not sure I like the idea of add-on packs when the original version had them included. I know it follows the model that other third person controllers use such as Invector and Ootii, but one of the big selling points of your controller was that they were included already, but now that's not going to be the case.

23. opsive

opsive

That's no problem. Version 1 will still be supported with the latest Unity updates for some time. For the addon packs we plan on adding 5-10 abilities in each pack and keep it theme focused rather than just on a single ability. This allows you to get only what you need.

24. magique

magique

Well, at least that doesn't sound too bad. I'll keep an eye on it as it develops then and consider it for the future.

25. opsive

opsive

Two new videos have been uploaded - these go more in depth showing the setup/configuration options for the shootable weapon and melee weapon:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    EvilGremlin likes this.
  26. Gasimo

Gasimo

Will there be a discount for anyone having UFPS (1)?

27. opsive

opsive

Yes - take a look at the first page for the upgrade flow :)

28. mattis89

mattis89

Okay so... I encountered some bugs ... I took sceeshots.. one was the sniper clip was beside hands an all weapons the player hold it was there... grenade range went chaos after throwing multiple grenades and the arms somehow twisted and got pulled forward :D the 2.5d glitched and fell thrue floow at the beginning, and then went from 2.5 to third person with a mix you can rotate the camera around, x axis :D .. I have screenshots, where to send them?

29. opsive

opsive

I am uploading new demo builds now - can you try it again after it has been uploaded? I'll make a post here when they are all up. After that if you can send the steps to reproduce to support@opsive.com that would be great.

mattis89 likes this.
  30. opsive

opsive

mattis89 likes this.
  31. mattis89

mattis89

no problem :)

32. mattis89

mattis89

33. IsntCo

IsntCo

I would like to suggest AI/Behavior Designer tutorials next (from creating an AI enemy through Inventory/Item use and Behavior Designer integration)

34. opsive

opsive

IsntCo likes this.
  35. IsntCo

IsntCo

I think right now the most confusing thing getting AI to Use a weapon.

My behavior tree is indicating success in Seeing the Player, Aiming at the Player, and Start Stop Use Attack:
    https://gyazo.com/aa80919bb80dfbe5cd1e6d4baaa3767d

But the enemy just stands there (rotates slightly towards player).

He never uses his bow.

Here are the BD settings:

And the Item/Inventory setup on the AI:

AI Abilities:

36. opsive

opsive

For support requests can you please post on the opsive forums at https://www.opsive.com/forum? This will allow me to track the requests better and makes it easier for searching.

Thanks!

37. opsive

opsive

38. IsntCo

IsntCo

There's actually a problem when trying to register for the new forums.

Tried adding both Asset Store and Opsive product IDs, clicked Check Invoice and nothing happens. Tried registering and it says Product Purchased field requirement (but you can't manually enter text into that field either). This is on Chrome.

39. opsive

opsive

You purchased from the opsive store, correct? Can you send me a PM with your order ID so I can test it out?

40. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Nice to see version 2 finally. After playing the demo, I will absolutely be picking this up. :D

PS: Will there be an upgrade path from UFPS version 1 to UCC? Since I have UFPS version 1 already, I'd have to upgrade to UFPS version 2 and then upgrade to UCC to save about 30 USD.

41. opsive

opsive

Awesome! Yes, I added an upgrade path so once you have UFPS2 you should be able to purchase UCC.

42. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Oh, alrighty then :D

opsive likes this.
  43. opsive

opsive

I received a note that Third Person Controller 2 is stuck in the submission process and has to be reset by the Asset Store developers. Hopefully it'll appear on the Asset Store soon!

44. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hi I sent a PM about upgrade path

45. syscrusher

syscrusher

Just grabbed my license for UCC from the Asset Store! I'm looking forward to working with it.

TheLetterS and opsive like this.
  46. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

there is no way to upgrade from tpc 1 to tpc 2 in any version ?

47. Melle_

Melle_

I own both UFPS 1 and Third person controller.
    I looked at the upgrade cost on Opsive twitter.

upload_2018-9-19_8-27-41.png

For me, the price for Ultimate controller is €160.80 is that correct?
    If I look at the chart above I tought the cost would be 45 + 20 + 57 = 122$ ?

Attached Files:

48. roykoma

roykoma

You can not upgrade directly to Ultimate Character Controller, but have to follow the upgrade-line displayed on the graphic.

Meaning:
    You Upgrade UFPS 1 to UFPS 2 and then upgrade from UFPS 2 to First Person Controller 2. Resulting in 65$ cost.
    Then you upgrade TPC 1 to TPC 2, resulting in an additional 57$ cost (making a grand total of 122$).

That will leave you with FPC2 & TPC2, which when both imported are the same as having UCC.
    This is due to the assetstore not providing a way to upgrade from two assets to one new one.

But: As stated in this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...rson-controller-2.533637/page-10#post-3693520
    This is not possible yet, as TPC2 is not yet released on the store. You can already upgrade your UFPS1 to UFPS2 and then to FPC2 though.

Dreamaster likes this.
  49. opsive

opsive

That's right.. it doesn't look like TPC2 is through yet :( I'll try to get an update today.

50. cybersoft

cybersoft

I am still on UFPS 1.
    UCC looks impressive but the price...
    Some of us have to wait for the Black Friday or other promotions.