Search Unity

[RELEASED] uConstruct - Fully generic, socket based runtime construction system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Oct 17, 2015.

1. drcfrx

drcfrx

Note that I found a semi fix here , Edit > Project Settings > Editor settings > Asset Serialization > Mode Mixed > then reimporting the package, the YAML waring have not reapeared. I could Play the Demo, still no Commands on screen, but it seems to work. I can place things and built a structure normally. It also saved the structure, I played again and it was there intact. I have a lot of warning (about 70 ) like this one:
    The referenced script (ForgeBuilding) on this Behaviour is missing!
    UnityEngine.Resources:Load(String)
    uConstruct.Core.PrefabDatabase.PrefabDB:get_instance() (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/PrefabManager/PrefabDB.cs:19)
    uConstruct.Core.Saving.BuildingGroupSaveData:LoadSpecificData(BuildingSaveData) (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Saving/BuildingGroupSaveData.cs:53)
    uConstruct.Core.Saving.BuildingGroupSaveData:Load(BaseUCSaveData) (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Saving/BuildingGroupSaveData.cs:44)
    uConstruct.Core.Saving.UCSavingManager:LoadExternalData(Stream) (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Saving/UCSavingManager.cs:191)
    uConstruct.Core.Saving.UCSavingManager:Load() (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Saving/UCSavingManager.cs:147)
    uConstruct.Core.Manager.UCCallbacksManager:Start() (at Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Manager/UCCallbacksManager.cs:102)

hope this helps!

ElroyUnity and twobob like this.
  2. recon0303

recon0303

Hello I see some people having issues, I also ran into some errors, which I fixed myself. It seems UConstruct may want to get a gone through some time, and update. its been almost 2 years, so something to think about. it has been working well spite no updates which is prolly why no updates where needed, but with 2018.1 etc, I have seen errors all over some no big deal just old out dated code and some other stuff , not so much. So when you can, you may want to take a look at it. and give it a update when you can. for 2018 ++ as I bet you will see more people with issues, just my 2 cents. cheers

ElroyUnity likes this.
  3. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yep!
    Cheers for sending your console log, I will work on an update for uConstruct this weekend to fix compatibility issues with 2018 :)

recon0303 likes this.
  4. recon0303

recon0303

Ya I don't really use 2018 since its full of bugs myself for my games I'm working on, but I did want to keep up to date on the new stuff so I do have a test scene a use to learn the new stuff to stay up to date and noticed some issues, 2017 had some issues as well but nothing major in Unconstruct.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yep makes sense :)

6. Tethys

Tethys

@ElroyUnity - Just want to remind you of a still existing bug where when you make a new piece it uses the prefab id of the last piece, and you can never set that original prefab Id to that original piece anymore - making it a major hassle for a live game that plans to push content packs. What happens is this. Start up the project. Go to cubes example. Duplicate a floor piece. Reset and re-add to the prefab database. Shutdown. Start up. Duplicate the last made piece, reset and re-add to prefab database - this piece now steals the last ID used, duplicating it. I can try to reset it- it wont give me any id but the last used one. I now have to go to the piece that HAD that ID, reset IT and re-add it which gives it a new id. This of course causes problems on a live game now because then because 1 live piece will have its id changed, and a new piece will be there when existing worlds are loaded up. Im pushing this live on a project on Steam on Thursday - would be great to get a fix before then if possible.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    twobob, ElroyUnity and hopeful like this.
  7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh wow I see, will fix today or tomorrow and send a fix asap :)

Tethys likes this.
  8. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Fixed the issue with the UI, made it a lot more clear now :)

Ok, fixed the ids issue. The prefab database is smarter now and detects new buildings automatically and adds them to the database, detects when an prefab was deleted and also when a duplicate was created.

9. drcfrx

drcfrx

Great news, thanks Elroy! Any idea when fixed version is going to be available?

ElroyUnity and twobob like this.
  10. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    Going to probably publish it today, just making sure its all working properly :)

11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Going to submit the new version to the store today. But, if you want it sooner (sooner than 1-2 week) please send me your invoice in a private message and I will send it over :)

julianr, drcfrx and Tethys like this.
  12. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome, ty man!

julianr likes this.
  13. drcfrx

drcfrx

Excellent, thank you Elroy. I can wait a little =)

julianr likes this.
  14. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey seems like it didn't get on the store yet.. and seems like it wasn't even submitted... Going to resubmit now :/ If you guys need it urgently please pm me :)

drcfrx, recon0303 and julianr like this.
  15. crimsonmortis

crimsonmortis

stuck with 2 errors:

Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Extensions/Extensions/GAIA/GAIA_PART/GAIA_uConstruct.cs(212,36): error CS1061: Type `uConstruct.Demo.BuildingPlacer' does not contain a definition for `buildings' and no extension method `buildings' of type `uConstruct.Demo.BuildingPlacer' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/uConstruct/Scripts/Core/Extensions/Extensions/GAIA/GAIA_PART/GAIA_uConstruct.cs(212,36): error CS1061: Type `uConstruct.Demo.BuildingPlacer' does not contain a definition for `buildings' and no extension method `buildings' of type `uConstruct.Demo.BuildingPlacer' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I can see the scripts when i import package but it will not let me select them.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  16. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    Sorry I forgot to change the integrations probably. Try changing it to categories or simply disable the GAIA integration for now as it doesn’t have much of a use :)

17. crimsonmortis

crimsonmortis

I had to resort to removing it for right now will try again for a bit tonight. I have no option to change the integration since I get compile errors and it does not highlight that integration is on.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  18. recon0303

recon0303

I had to remove most of them anyways GAIA, Unet, Forge etc. anyways. and I don't get errors anymore

ElroyUnity likes this.
  19. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Will fix on Thursday when I am home :)

recon0303 likes this.
  20. recon0303

recon0303

no worries I don't use any integrations anyways.:) so wasn't a big deal .:)

if some isn't using better off removing for now anyways.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  21. PeterB

PeterB

Hi, I've just installed uConstruct and am trying to run the Cube Demo. The layers are defined, but I get no UI and clicking has no effect whatsoever. Running under Metal under 2018.2.1f1 on a MacBook Pro with the latest OS.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  22. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey, do you get any errors?

23. PeterB

PeterB

Yes, I got one initially, something along the lines of uConstruct not finding a specified path, but only once. After that it says that it successfully has saved and loaded, but nothing appears on screen.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  24. recon0303

recon0303

I would re-import, UContruct. I been noticing lately, when importing assets , getting odd errors..and I end up re-importing and it solves my issues. Just something to try. since you aren't getting an error. if the error happens again, I would copy and paste it here. It will help find the issue if it happens again.

PeterB and ElroyUnity like this.
  25. Dorf

Dorf

I’m trying to create a simple vehicle building game based on attaching parts in sockets. Trying to see what asset options there are for the socketing. Does this asset work with dynamic, physics based parts?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  26. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yea that should do the trick. Also make sure that you haven’t renamed the uConstruct folder (you can change the path but not the folder name)

Yes it does and it should work really nicely :D

27. PeterB

PeterB

Re-importing indeed fixed it. Thanks!

ElroyUnity and recon0303 like this.
  28. recon0303

recon0303

Yes I started creating something awhile back . It works great. I added a lot of my own custom code due to other things related to my design. but all of the core code is there, and then some for this.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Awesome! :)

PeterB likes this.
  30. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings fellow devs and @ElroyUnity . I ran into a small issue and am looking for a tip if possible. Our game uses Photon network for online, but we also have a single player mode that is done by simply running the game in offline mode. I have recently discovered an issue however - the building no longer works when in offline mode. I do know there is a workaround, however, because my AI and other functionality are all networked and continue to work well in offline mode. I tried a workaround by disabling the handle ready mode but that didn't work around it. Elroy or anyone else who may have had to fix this, can you share a solution to the problem or point me in a direction? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  31. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    That could maybe be because of the integration, do you get any errors?

32. Tethys

Tethys

Nope no errors. Was looking through some of the Photon stuff you added but haven't been able to put my finger on what prevents it from working. Scripts are all active, it must be listening for something maybe that happens in the online mode that does not happen in offline. We still pass through the lobby and all that, same play scene, everything for the most part is the same except for Photons state is set to Offline instead of Online. I use ICE AI with Photon networking, AI still spawns fine with all the Photon stuff enabled, all my players functionality works fine as well - just seems like there is maybe a little condition in your integration that is listening for this? Thanks for the response!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  33. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Ah I see, I will be in the office later today and wil try it myself, must be a small bug :)

34. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Fixed your issue and also the GAIA integration errors issues.
    Going to submit the version to the asset store now. As always, send me a private message with your invoice to get the new version asap.

Elroy

Tethys and recon0303 like this.
  35. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome man, thanks so much!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys Its Yum Kippur in a few hours and so wont be online till tomrrow evening (around 27 hours)
    Sorry!

Stormy102 likes this.
  37. laurie71

laurie71

Hmm, I tried the free version and it didn’t work very well, but I just noticed it didn’t get updated earlier this year. Do you have plans to update and resubmit the free version? I’d really like to test it out before buying (and had already started looking into working alternatives before I noticed that the free version was outdated).

I can give you more details about the problems I had, but you’re probably already aware of them from working on the 2018 compatibility fixes :)

Laurie

ElroyUnity likes this.
  38. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    Sure, I will do it this week :)

Also - what issues were you having? there are built-in errors in the free version that prevent you from building the game on purpose if thats the issues you were encountering.

39. laurie71

laurie71

Thanks!

There were a couple of errors on import (one was a missing or incorrect path I think, I'm not sure about the other one without retesting). When I ran the sample scene, though, the only thing I could place was foundations and stairs; walls were always red and I couldn't get anything else to come up at all.

If anything there sounds like something you aren't already aware of, let me know and I'll be happy to re-test and give better details.

Laurie

ElroyUnity likes this.
  40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh i see. I will have a look at it and resubmit :)

41. apexsoftworks

apexsoftworks

Hi, any word on Forge Networking Remastered integration?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  42. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    Probably won't happen any time soon due to working on the actual functionality of the projects, hopefully once I finish it I will look into it.

43. tredpro

tredpro

For ummorpg because I know everyone owns that now, I have found an add on that is for for it that would should make integration of this easy

44. Ivalobon

Ivalobon

I'm using the Inventory Pro integration and having issues with raycast layers. I'm using a 3rd person controller and no matter what I do it keeps hitting the player layer. Worked fine using the regular building placer script.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That's interesting, checked the scripts and it looks like it should work,
    Have you made any changes to the script?

46. Ivalobon

Ivalobon

I tried changing it to use my own layer mask but it didn't work, everything is back to default now. When I jump and the character scrunches up the ray can pass it works. Second he lands and stands back up placement freezes.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

The placement freezes in what way? No longer detects the raycast or?

48. Ivalobon

Ivalobon

The item prefab while choosing a location to place. It moves around fine when I jump but once the character stands back up it doesn't move anymore. Debugging the code I just noticed that the distance is getting set to 0 UCPhysics.cs, see the screenshots.

after that method it goes to zero

ElroyUnity likes this.
  49. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That's weird. That value is assigned from the "BuildingPlacer"'s Placing Distance.
    can you check if its also modified when landing for some reason?

50. Ivalobon

Ivalobon

I don't think it has to do with being grounded. I was just walking up a steep hill and was able to get the placement to work above the characters head. If I set the character to ignoreraycast layer it works.

ElroyUnity likes this.