Search Unity

[RELEASED] uConstruct - Fully generic, socket based runtime construction system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Bolt Integration video is done!,
    Going to upload it today.

So, basically now the system also has a video that shows how to use the API to implement networking libraries,
    this will allow you to learn on how to use the API for other things as well like pooling, etc.

If you have any more suggestions, feel free to let me know :),
    Elroy.

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think a quick start video would be very useful :)

BackwoodsGaming and ElroyUnity like this.
  3. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Would love to see a video showcasing using it with Gaia as well. :) I think I heard someone mention you did something special for using with Gaia? Or maybe I'm mistaken.. Grats on the release tho!

4. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thanks,
    I am actually at this moment working on an Quick Start video that shows how you can easily within less than 2 mins set up a scene with the demo assets working.

And yes Shawn :), theres an extension for GAIA at works as well, should be released after 1.01 :),
    I will be making a video that shows it off the moment i finish it :).

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Sorry for the amount of posts today,
    I finished another 2 cool videos which one of them is the networking integration :).

Quick start :

Multiplayer Integration:

Please note: the networking tutorial will only work with the newest version. until it will get accepted on the asset store then anyone that bought the asset email me with your innovice number and i will send it to you :).

Have a great day,
    Elroy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    AdamGoodrich and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  6. b889965

b889965

Very good and easy to understand videos Elroy.

7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you :).

8. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uConstruct Manager:

The process of getting uConstruct working when importing it from the asset store got reduced to clicking 1 button!.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Modular 3DForge assets with uConstruct :

Was created without much effort and all parts are placeable.
    as you can see, everything is possible with uConstruct :).

Elroy.

10. Teila

Teila

Oh, Elroy! So difficult to do UI text when you post something like that! LOL

ElroyUnity likes this.
  11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Haha, sorry ;)

12. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uConstruct 1.01 is accepted ( just a little update to fix some first submission issues ):
    - Removed project settings from the package ( it was accidently put in there ).
    - Replaced an image with the docs that was outdated.
    - Also moved the asset to the "Scripting" category.

13. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Tree houses will be added to the demo soon :)

Another example of the flatten ground condition (obviously the hill is too steep there, but just for the example) :

Got a cool feature that i am working on, hopefully will get it to a showable stage today :).

AdamGoodrich and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  14. phato777

phato777

This asset is really great and simple to use, especially if you're a programmer. I've only been using it for about 30 mins - an hour and I've already got it integrated into my games inventory system and am building away with the default assets. I've attached a screenshot showing prototyping done in 30 mins - 1 hour with this asset. Learning and integrating uConstruct is childsplay. Great work @ElroyUnity

Attached Files:

15. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you :), Great photos and happy you have had a good experience with the asset so far :).

16. b889965

b889965

This is the right man for the job :)

17. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

hehe looks good :)

18. Teila

Teila

I wonder if you should talk to @jorisshh about integration with Inventory Pro! That would be great.

19. jorisshh

jorisshh

Sounds like a good integration indeed :) @ElroyUnity if you're interested you can contact me at joris@devdog.nl and I'll send you a voucher. The integration should be quite easy and add some nice value to your asset :D

Teila likes this.
  20. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey, i will definitely do that.
    Going to send you an email today/ tommorow depends on when i will have time :)

AdamGoodrich, jorisshh and Teila like this.
  21. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey everyone,
    Will be posting a webplayer demo today due to a request (the "rust" demo),
    Will also be starting to work on the part 2 of the networking tutorial, which will cover saving and destruction :).

Elroy.

22. amasinton

amasinton

Just bought it (I've been keeping an eye on this for a while) and love it. I'm just getting to grips with it and I have a question:

Can I create my own building elements at runtime? My application requires users to define the parameters of custom arch pieces which means I can't make a prefab arch piece in the editor. Can I build a custom mesh at runtime then assign sockets and conditions too?

23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey, first of all thanks for buying uConstruct and i am happy you are having good times with it so far:).

And yes!, absolutely!, while this might require some code on the API this is definitely possible. The new upcoming version comes with a lot of new features and API extensions, 1 of them is the ability to add and establish through runtime new sockets and conditions.

Send me an email to the support mail with your innovice number and i will send you the most updated version with the new API changes :).

24. amasinton

amasinton

Thanks! I've PM'd you.

25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey everyone,
    i decided not to create a web demo, its pretty much not supported those days on some browsers ( i litterallly never play the web player demos ) and well i dont know if people would want to play the current cubes demo that existsץ

If you still insist, i might create a video that shows it off or something like that, but i guess the best way to get a grip off the asset is to watch the tutorials and look at the features in work behind the scenes.

Elroy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  26. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Networking tutorial part 2 is up !

Covers destruction and saving over the network.
    also shows how to convert the old code to the new API.

27. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Sorry for the amount of messages today, but i got something cool to show!,

3DForge Interior Demo :

Another example that shows that uConstruct can handle anything!,

All of this building were created on runtime with the building system!.

Please note : Next version might have a price increase as this price is a release-only price.

Might make a web player demo with this scene, any thoughts?

montyfi likes this.
  28. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

I've had a little experiment with this asset. So far so good. Is there anywhere I can look to replicate the destruction/collapse condition you showed a video of?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    You could write your own condition using the "BaseCondition" class, or use the demo condition named "LookForGround",
    Happy you like it so far :).

30. montyfi

montyfi

Interesting, all my favorite assets are going to be integrated. I think I will buy it today. You can say thanks to @AdamGoodrich for advertising :)

ElroyUnity and AdamGoodrich like this.
  31. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hehe, happy you like it :).

And thanks a lot @AdamGoodrich :)

montyfi likes this.
  32. Pequisto

Pequisto

Wonderful asset. Thank you!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  33. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you for your kind words ! :).

34. Recon03

Recon03

I think looks ten times better than the last time I seen it, and looks top notch work, great work Elroy!

How well does this perform for Android , IOS xbox 1, PS4 ??? I love the fact that you are supporting Bolt.. That's a plus in my book!

35. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you !

And well i have never tested it on those platforms but it should behave well on consoles , not sure about mobile but i think its pretty well optimized so that should be okay :)

36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

HUGE News :

New update is getting closer and it will be including 1 more new feature other than the ones that were shown, the "Blueprint" system, yes you heard me right!,
    this will allow you to get ANY building working without any effort with just 1 click!, we are talking about 3d forge assets, ANYTHING.

EDIT : blueprints will have the option to be created on runtime, the blueprint's data file could also be streamed through network, meaning you could do some nasty stuff with it over network :)

The version will come with the 3d forge demos blueprints that were shown above, so you could get any building working with that pattern with 1 click!, if its 3d forge assets, or any building you customly make!.

This version will raise the price to 30$ as 20$ was just a starting price so if you are interested in the asset, buy it fast :).
    A demonstration video will be uploaded later today/ tommorow :),
    if you have any questions regarding this feature or the system at all dont be afraid to ask i will be glad to answer them :).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    montyfi and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  37. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Just for clarification, the blueprints are like the 3DForge blueprints where it is just the prefab. You will still have to own the 3DForge pack to actually have the model. But the blueprints will have the stuff pre-rigged to work with uConstruct, right @ElroyUnity? I don't think that was really clear and want to verify so nobody gets confused and throws up a bad review. :)

John-G likes this.
  38. Teila

Teila

Yep, that is how it works, Shawn. :) Just had that conversation with Elroy.

39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup.. Me too.. Just thought it would be good to have clarification here so people don't get confused and think they are getting the actual models included... :)

Teila likes this.
  40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes that is mostly correct,
    i am currently working on finishing up the basics and i will make a longer post on how it works with a video showcase :).

Elroy.

41. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

A little peak to the blue print system ! :
    https://i.gyazo.com/b2b98b05b6c8ecfe2d222cc8e428d55d.mp4

dragged a drop a random 3d forge asset, clicked 1 button and all of the building is configured with sockets, conditions and anything you like!!.

Will have a full video with a big overview of the feature.

Elroy.

AdamGoodrich and montyfi like this.
  42. montyfi

montyfi

Wow, that's so cool! I love how simple it looks!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  43. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you :)
    Will be getting a video today and yea its really great ! :)

montyfi likes this.
  44. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Blueprints feature showcase!! :

The assets that are used in the video are 3DForge Exterior and 3DForge Interior Created by : @S4G4N

So what is it ?
    Basically blueprints are data that holds information about certain building propoties such as sockets, conditions, etc.
    This data can be "unpacked" on any mesh/ prefab and will basically allow you to have that mesh / prefab transform from just an empty prefab/ mesh to an complete building with sockets + conditions + anything required with just 1 click!,

You can create your own blueprints extremely easily, and because sockets and conditions can in the new version be created on runtime, i also worked on getting blueprints to work on runtime and that means that you could give your players the ability to design blueprints, design sockets, design conditions and the best thing is that blueprints can be serialized through network!, giving you the ability to make some really great stuff with it!.

Blueprints are also saved as files in your project so you can share it with any one you like, it does not include any assets from your project so you arent risking on distributing assets.

If you have any more questions i am here to answer them :),
    Also, this version will increase the price so if you are interested in the asset make sure you buy it now.

Have a great day/night,
    Elroy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    montyfi and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

So!! a new feature for the blueprint system, it now supports meshes with wrongly placed pivots!!.

just for showcase, here is a screenshot of a floor that used the "Foundation" blueprint and instead of that little cube there being over all of the middle black zone, that happened :

Now, after adding the pivot fixer which works on BOTH runtime and editor, it looks like this :

So now, i can confidently say it can handle ANY type of a building, litterally just drag and drop anything and you got your self a ready building, no need to design sockets or anything!!!!!

If you have any feedback or questions about the system dont be afraid to ask !,
    Elroy.

46. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

The blueprints look like a great feature. Will save a lot of time when processing a number of assets.

Having played around this for a while, it really is simple and gets better with each new frequent release. I really like the destruction.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

So heres a little cool video that is demonstrating the power of the blueprint system, the assets used in the tutorial have wrong pivot on purpose to show how the blueprint system automatically fixes the pivot as part of its core functionality :

Will be getting a full change log of this version soon enough after i finish it (very close),
    Elroy.

48. Recon03

Recon03

Nice looks awesome, great job!

49. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you!

50. Recon03

Recon03

Even though I have my own tool for this, I bought yours to support you.. We will mess around and see what is better about yours, and maybe even replace ours if yours ends up being better.. also I like that yours supports Bolt, since we use Bolt.