Search Unity

[RELEASED] Tutorial Master 2 - Effortlessly Create Interactive UI Tutorials

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by elmar1028, Aug 2, 2016.

1. elmar1028

elmar1028

In that case, you won't need them. Module position will be applied when the Stage begins and data validator ensures that you don't have anything invalid before starting the Tutorial.

2. username132323232

username132323232

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void UpdateArrowPointerExample(RectTransform newTarget)
    2.     {
    3.         // if you want to modify arrow module AFTER starting the tutorial, disable data validator
    4.         tutorialManager.Tutorials[0].DataValidatorEnabled = false;
    5.         tutorialManager.StartTutorial();
    7.         // get a currently running stage
    8.         var targetStage = tutorialManager.ActiveStage;
    10.         // e.g. change the point target of the first Arrow Module on our list
    11.         var arrowModuleSettings = targetStage.GetArrowModuleSettings(0);
    13.         // update the point target
    14.         arrowModuleSettings.PointTarget = newTarget;
    16.         // this will apply changes you've made to an arrow module
    17.         targetStage.UpdateArrowModulePosition(0);
    18.     }
    I tried using this approach, but I'm getting

NullReferenceException
    HardCodeLab.TutorialMaster.Module.CalculatePositionFromCanvas () (at Assets/Tutorial Master/Scripts/Runtime/Modules/Module.cs:248)
    HardCodeLab.TutorialMaster.Module.CalculateTransform () (at Assets/Tutorial Master/Scripts/Runtime/Modules/Module.cs:430)

Not sure why this is happening. Perhaps because newTarget is a RectTransform and arrowModuleSettings.PointTarget is a simple Transform?

3. elmar1028

elmar1028

Found the problem! There was a bug when Module Pool wouldn't instantiate Module prefabs. Another problem I found is that we're updating the wrong Arrow Module setting. Instead of a Point Target, we need to do this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. arrowModuleSettings.UITarget = newTarget;
    Could you PM me your order number so that I could verify your purchase so that I could send you a fix?

Sorry for the inconvenience!

4. username132323232

username132323232

Thank you for looking into this. I actually found another solution that already works. I use an empty GameObject as a target and then move it to the center of the real target created in runtime. So I can wait for the fix in Asset Store.

Also, I think it would be a nice feature to be able to specify arrow target by object name. So, just before starting tutorial, TMM would assign it automatically. Just saying :)

elmar1028 likes this.
  5. elmar1028

elmar1028

Alright then. Glad it worked out for you. I do recommend getting an update the moment it hits the Asset Store.

That's a good suggestion! I will take it into consideration. But the most reliable way to get Modules' data is through indexes. You can even see their index number in Modules section of the editor.

6. username132323232

username132323232

Thanks again Elmar for your quick support. I have the tutorial working and look forward to using this asset in the future.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but let me just it mention it :) How about writing some kind of converter that would read a spreadsheet (like Excel) and set up TMM automatically based on it. This would be ideal for the simple type of tutorial that I was making. I found myself spending most of time navigating in TMM between stages and modules. For example, if you want to change arrow fly-in speed for 10 different stages, it takes a lot of clicking around :) That probably won't work well for more complex tutorials, but for a simple "what is this button for?" deal it could be a great time-saver.

7. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hmm. That's a great idea and will definitely be helpful down the line. I have something like that planned for future updates.

Thanks for the suggestion!

username132323232 likes this.
  8. Cogniad

Cogniad

Since the black background covers the entire screen, will it also block event triggers in game objects like sprites in the scene?

9. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @Cogniad

As mentioned in release notes, Tutorial Master 2 has deprecated the Dark Background due to technical difficulties that came with multi-canvas support.

Kind Regards,

Elmar

10. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.7 Patch Notes

API Changes
    • Module.cs - CallerManager property now made public

Improvements
    • Added support for Unity 2019.2.0f
    • [Editor] Tutorial Master editor visuals are now more consistent with Unity styles

Bug Fixes
    • [Runtime] Fixed a bug when "Play On Start" wouldn't work properly
    • [Runtime] Fixed a bug when module pools wouldn't be instantiated when "Play On Start" is disabled
    • [Runtime] Fixed a bug when Fly-In and Float effects wouldn't work when "Update Every Frame" is enabled
    • [Editor] Fixed a bug when UnityEvent control would use light skin style when using Dark Skin mode

Found a bug, or have any questions? Be sure to check out the support section or send an email to support@hardcodelab.com

To see currently open issues, see the issues page.

To see previous patch notes, visit the official website.

11. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.7.1 Patch Notes

Improvements
    • Now works with Canvases whose parents are GameObjects.

Found a bug, or have any questions? Be sure to check out the support section or send an email to support@hardcodelab.com

To see currently open issues, see the issues page.

To see previous patch notes, visit the official website.

12. shaldar

shaldar

Do you have a documentation of updated AIs that can be used with TM2 using the TutorialManager namespace? The PDF that came with the asset lists only 3 API calls.
    - tmManager.StartTutorial()
    - tmManager.PrevStage()
    - tmManager.NextStage()

Are there other calls that can be made? For example - if I want to invoke a stage by name or index - or something more complicated, like calling different stages based on outcome of player interaction, like calling different stages for a case/switch block of code.

13. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi Shaldar,

You can invoke stage by index by calling
    Code (CSharp):
    1. tmManager.JumpStage(stage_index);
    Kind regards,

Elmar

14. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

Your asset store page link doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
    jrDev

15. elmar1028

elmar1028

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

17. elmar1028

elmar1028

18. elmar1028

elmar1028

In the next few months, I will be gathering feedback from you guys. Data from the survey will help me make appropriate decisions and focus on areas of Tutorial Master that matter. With your help, I will be able to see areas that need to be addressed and improved, reworked or even removed.

To kick things off here's a very short survey revolving around compatibility: https://forms.gle/Lg6b6d33YbpoudC66

Note you need Google account to be able to take part in a survey.

Thank you in advance!

19. GuruGurra

GuruGurra

It's a bit hard to complete your survey since the scripting runtime version field is no longer present when using Unity 2019.2 or later.

20. elmar1028

elmar1028

Thanks for bringing that up. In that case ".NET 4.x Equivalent or higher" is fine.

21. elmar1028

elmar1028

22. jGate99

jGate99

23. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi jGate99,

I am working on a major update, but I don't have a concrete date on when it's going to be released. It's too early for me to disclose any more details at this stage, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Elmar

24. Brundewald

Brundewald

Hi Elmar,

Our company is currently developing a mobile game and we are interested in your Tutorial Master 2 utility. However, before making a purchase, we would like to test it to see how well it fits into our project. Do you provide source code for testing or do you have a trial version of your utility?

Best regards,

Nick

25. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your interest in Tutorial Master 2

Unfortunately, there is no free version of the product for testing at the time.

Kind regards,

Elmar

26. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.7.2 is now live!
    Full Release Notes

This is a minor update to make Tutorial Master more compatible with the latest Unity versions and C# API.