Search Unity

[RELEASED] Truss Physics for Unity3D. Soft-body simulation plugin.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Heartbroken, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASDev

ASDev

Wat is exactly wrong? Can you send a screenshot?

2. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

3. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Hi, first of all this is a great Asset, I've been using it for about 3 months now and I have created a TXrigidbody car, with TXrigidbody wheel hubs and soft body tires, I only wanted soft body tires for performance reasons. However, this is the problem, the softbody tires drag the wheels from the unity joint! which is a Configurable joint, projection on, I've played around with masses, different types of joint, time steps, setting the Inertial tensors up, everything, I've tried setting the tire masses to 10 and hubs to 20, hubs to 10, tire masses to 20, I've tried changing friction. I just can't get Truss softbody to work with Unity's built in joints without it stretching them? Anyone else have this problem?

4. ASDev

ASDev

if you want soft tires only, not soft car body, you should connect wheels to very simple TxSoftbody with TxConstraint, and after this connect unity rigidbody car body to softbody with TxConstraint too

5. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Can someone make Tutorial video for cars ? :)

6. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

This is what I thought of trying, but as I was building the Softbody hub to then attach to the rigid car body, well axle hub, I just thought wouldn't that just stretch the joints it's connecting to? I.e. the Axle hub which the brakes are part of, this would all be Rigidbodies, and the wheel hub (softbody) which it's connect to, from there the unity joints would stretch, just further down the line? Or am I missing something?

7. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I'm thinking of making a blog on my progress using soft body tires only, but there are many ways to build a car, my way has it's own problems I'm still trying to solve., my advice, just go for it, make it your own.

8. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

I can do a bit of this, but I can not figure out how to link FL FR wheels to Truss
    I need a tutorial from someone to help me finally

9. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

You create a single node on the car truss, and call it something like AxleFL, then on the wheel truss which is connected to the car body under constraint select the AxleFL in the node list, make sure 'connecting to' is set to node and not edge. If you download the RedCar demo you can study the prefab car, that has everything including how to create the steering as well. From what I can tell using all Softbodies for a car is straight forward, mixing soft and rigid for a car is a nightmare, if anything not possible from my experience.

10. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Turns out ultimately you can not use Truss with Unity's built in Joints, as in mixing soft with rigid, joints are too soft, this includes all types of applications not just cars, apparently PhysX has an Articulation Joint which has been part of the PhysX library for many years, however Unity hasn't ever integrated it, this joint is solid, apparently truly solid. So this is a major flaw in the unity engine as a whole until they integrate the Articulation Joint. My project is on hold until this problem can be solved. I'm looking into using APEengine for the physics. Again this is not a Truss problem, this library is actually very promising, it's just not enough people are willing to spend the time studying it, instead of putting it down.

11. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

I dont know i dont know i dont know :/
    I dont know HOW :( i need videotutorial

12. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Have you downloaded the RedCar demo?

13. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Yes i have downloaded RedCar Demo

14. paulprog

paulprog

Hello all, good job on the RedCar demo. Does anybody know how to fix the "sliding" of the car? it feels like it is constantly sliding and drifting. I tried to increse the friction values of the wheel matter but to no avail.

By the way, to avoid the craches the onDestroy method should be:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnDestroy() {
    2.     if (TxWorld.created){
    3.         TxWorld.instance.onBeforeStep -= UpdateCar;
    4.     }
    5. }

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Fibonaccov likes this.
  15. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I've created a car ground up using custom suspension and Unity joints but kept the tire objects only as Truss soft bodies, I don't get any crabbing, so I'd guess it's the design of the RedCar wheel truss, it's an odd shape maybe?

16. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I've tested the APE DeepMotion physics engine for Unity, the Articulation joints are stable and runs fast, but the physics are built ground up, so the base classes are extended from the Monobehaviour, so it doesn't interact with unity's Rigidbody, infact it has it's own Rigidbody, so Truss doesn't work with it! I wonder if there is a way of integrating Truss into DeepMotion physics code?

17. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Okay here is my project so far using Truss soft body for the tires only, I've fixed the joints and in final stages of preparing for a demo video. This has required a *lot* of time the achieve but the results are well worth it, I will be rigging more vehicles soon, including Lamborghini Diablo, Ford F150 Raptor, 69 Dodge Charger and one Hyper car, all demonstrating different drive trains and tire setups, thicker walls etc and the potential for this soft body physics library, there is no additional code for the tires, just matter settings. For advise to anyone having trouble with Truss, don't give up, there are many ways to create applications with this library it just requires patients and imagination, there is no simple tutorial. Hearbroken, is there no way to come back and spend more time on it?
    JointSolution1.jpg JointSolution2.jpg
    JointSolution3.jpg

Fibonaccov likes this.
  18. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

Can anyone post a link to download Red Car Demo? That most legendary, ideal, to which everyone is trying to come, but no one succeeds. I just want to drive, it's so nice! But I lost it on my computer. :(:(:(

19. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Can anyone confirm that the Mesh Collider side of this engine isn't functioning properly before I waste anymore time, doesn't matter what I do I can not get a mesh collider TXRigidbody to behave properly, it flys around the world uncontrollably?! If it does function properly how to hell do you get it to work? It only works if the mesh is a cube, as soon as you change any angle of the cube the physics screws up!

20. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

red car demo will never be public very likely to avoid the pest of asset flippers or the onew looking for a quick buck. This is a complex aset? yes, but it does deliver

21. ASDev

ASDev

I think redcar demo don't helps to understand or create something like redcar. It will give more questions than answers. Please look carefully on the Truss examples and try to understand the idea of truss physics. There is no simple way to create car with truss physics. You will never create car or something like car until you understand the basics. First of all try to create car body without wheels and setup deformation for it. I'll take some screenshots to help you understand

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  22. ASDev

ASDev

upload_2019-2-4_19-2-24.png

upload_2019-2-4_19-3-7.png
    upload_2019-2-4_19-3-35.png
    upload_2019-2-4_19-3-58.png

The basic idea - truss body is not a jacket. It's not like a mesh in 3D graphics. Mesh in 3D graphics is like a tent jacket, and truss body is like a tent with support axles. This axles calls links, and joints calls nodes. You have to create stable truss body with links and nodes, and then create jacket - faces. It's outer shell of truss body

upload_2019-2-4_19-9-43.png

It's the only way to setup car body

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  23. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Yeah this is how you do it, and for me the Red Car demo did shed a lot of light, but basically it's just like the Beam physics and there is tons of resources to do this, and it works! The hard part I'm finding is using this physics engine with Rigidbodies, there just isn't much out there to work with, no examples on how to import a mesh properly to use as a collider, I've done everything, Reset xforms, no rotations, centered perfect at 0,0,0, pivot set to 0,0,0 yet it works fine with a basic cube but nothing else? The objects just fly around and don't collide properly, yet when I switch TXRigidbody off it collides just fine with the Unity physics :/ And the Rigidbody settings are exactly the same as the examples. Need an example of how to use a MeshCollider Rigidbody, and I don't think it supports more than 1 box collider either, because I've tried that and it has the same side effects as a MeshCollider, switch them off, use 1 collider and it works properly.

24. ASDev

ASDev

I don't use Truss physics with regular Unity physics or colliders. So I can't tell you how to use meshcollider rigidbody with truss

25. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

This is the impression I'm getting so far with regards to this physics engine, most people use it with 100% Soft body objects, doesn't seem to be much testing with rigid bodies. I won't give up but I'm not seeing anything good to come of this, I'm testing it 7 hours a day and the conclusion is looking bleak.

26. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

It looks like this engine only supports primitives for Rigidbodies, spheres, cubes and cylinders all work fine, even exported from a 3D package, as soon as you start adjusting the vertexes and re-export the physics begin to get worse the more you adjust the shape.

Added: Also doesn't support multiple Cube colliders, this was last resort to get over it not supporting Convex Hull collisions. Unless there is an answer to this problem it's pretty much useless for any application that wants to use Soft and Rigid support.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  27. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

You have Car Control ? (truss )

28. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

The RedCar demo has a car controller, it has everything you need to learn how to build a car Truss and a Vehicle Controller Truss.

Fibonaccov and Shadow-X6 like this.
  29. ASDev

ASDev

I create my own car controller for my purposes. It's not very hard

30. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

He's going to ask you for it lol.

n00b_013 likes this.
  31. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I've been looking at your project and I believe there is 2 problems with creating a vehicle wheel with 100% softbody, unless you can figure out, which I couldn't, separating the wheel hub from the tire, as 2 seperate softbody objects, like BeamNG.drive, I think your wheels are all 1 soft body, and you can actually see the hub *deform* this also causes the issue of tire separation from hub on collision. Where I've used a rigid hub and softbody tire these 2 problems are easy to solve.

32. ASDev

ASDev

As you can see in soft tire demo, wheel hub is not deforms when tire deforms. Yes, wheel is 1 softbody, but wheel hub has more links and these links has more stiffness than tire links, and wheel has internal pressure. Not necessary to create separate tire and hub

upload_2019-2-6_18-50-3.png

33. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Yes I was thinking of doing it this way, the way the Red car demo does it, I've notice there your tires have actual mesh tire tread, that must run slow with TXSoftbody?

34. ASDev

ASDev

It runs about 400fps with 1 car is scene and box as a ground on i3 8100 and gtx1060 3gb

35. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Have you tested it on an average system yet? one thing you don't want to do is get heavily into development and find it only runs on your computer.

36. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

ASDev
    A quick question about your project so far, are you experiencing any issues with the tire behavior at higher speeds, for example does your vehicles reach their top speeds in the right amount of time and do they steer properly at higher speeds? I'm finding my tires don't steer correctly at high speed, maybe to do with fast rotations?

37. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Yes please

38. ASDev

ASDev

I tested it on GT930, but I don't remember results. It was about 150FPS, without freezes. But on mobile devices softbody tires causes freezes about 2-3FPS. So it unusable in mobile projects for now

39. ASDev

ASDev

It steer correctly, but I have issue with collisions at high speeds. Cars are stick together and rotate with abnormal speeds, and Unity crashes. I think I need to create some limitations with speeds

40. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

This is normal I think, BeamNG lost their contract to the new cry engine due to bugs, and even now you can see the issues in their demos, sticking together on crashes, mesh explosions. Instead of limiting speed how about increasing Truss substep power or Unity iterations, and maybe reducing how much the meshes crush, make them more rigid.

41. ASDev

ASDev

Truss substep and unity iterations or other scene settings doesn't take effect. I cant decide which genre to choose for my project to show capability of Truss physics

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  42. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

A game that demonstrates the physics engine on more than 1 vehicle, I'm making a Forza style game, as you can tell from the screens shot I posted on this page. I think there needs to be a Tire class made specifically for truss and vehicles, we need an optimized contact patch for tires, so only the contact patch is calculating the physics.

43. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Hi you can contact me ? :)

44. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Okay I'
    Okay I'm setting my vehicles up using Softbodies, but I'm noticing new crashes and unity hangs, mostly when I started setting up Motors in the Constraints, have you solved this problem in your project? It crashes or hangs when I hit Play and sometimes hangs on startup, this has only just started since using constraints with motor enabled.

45. ASDev

ASDev

How you links wheels to body? Can you take a screenshot with constraint settings and scene?

46. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Okay, I had 2 soft body parts to the wheel, center hub no internal pressure, outer soft tire with pressure. Now, the only way I could think of constraining them together was with each node on the outside of the rim to each node on the outside of the tire, on both sides, so there where 18 nodes on the left and 18 on the right, so center hub had 36 node constraints and the tire had 36 node constraints, this holds them together, with collision off. This works as it is but when I add a motor to the wheel it crashed on hitting play. Since changing to to all 1 soft body there has been no crashes, so I'm guessing it was the 36 constraint nodes?

47. khos

khos

This is some very nice work! Would you be willing to share some how to's , for the community? I think that would be very helpful for a lot of people. I can understand if not :)

48. ASDev

ASDev

I'm using wheel with 1 softbody and internal pressure. Hub has more solid links and it looks pretty good. I'm not using 2 softbodies for 1 wheel

49. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

50. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Thank you :) Yes I certainly will, I'll get some videos up soon on some how too's. Anything specific?

khos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.