Search Unity

[RELEASED] Truss Physics for Unity3D. Soft-body simulation plugin.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Heartbroken, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

This is AMAZING :O You create new ?

NotGoodEnoughh likes this.
  2. imblue4d

imblue4d

Yes, but it still needs a lot of work

Shadow-X6 likes this.
  3. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Great :)

imblue4d likes this.
  4. Goblox

Goblox

As far as RoR goes, I think it might be a good idea to check the other forks just to make sure someone hasn't already pulled the physics engine out into a separate library. If it hasn't been done, the first step is to get a fork that only contains the physics engine (ready to be built into a DLL). If I'm not mistaken this would make the repo pretty small and manageable compared to the entire RoR Project that is pretty much a full fledged game with netcode, sound, menus, and the entire ogre engine too.

It might then be necessary (from a licensing stand point) to setup another project that references the library that results from that effort so that we can be on MIT instead of GPL3. (It looks like Github is weird about changing licensing on a forked repo?) I want the licensing sorted out first thing. The point of this is a community built asset that everyone can use without turning the stuff we actually care about into open source project as well. This way the DLL can continue to be licensed GPL3, the Unity part of the project (the vast majority of effort) can be licensed MIT (or something better?) and just reference the interchangeable dynamically linked library that is the core physics engine.

5. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

This is good, like you said check that the physics hasn't already been separated, some how. I think we should start a new thread now on this, and start it with what you've just written here.

6. imblue4d

imblue4d

True, it deserves a whole new thread

I just checked all 117 forks of the ROR github repo, and none of them seem to have any utility.
    I think that it will be hard considering that if ported as a c/cpp plugin it will need multithreading and SIMD optimisations to match the truss physics engine's performance

7. Goblox

Goblox

I was surprised to see how long it has been since there were any contributions to the project. A fair bit of effort has gone into the solver so I assumed it would at least be better than starting from scratch.

If I'm honest I feel like Truss would probably be a better place to start (even if it didn't include all of the Unity integration) but I'm assuming it simply isn't on the table.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  8. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I think the CryEngine3 is using RoB, they turned down BeamNG due to bugs.

If it's possible to continue with Truss I'd be more than happy, if there was a way of improving it.

9. Goblox

Goblox

Sorry about the delay on this... I've been pulling the thing apart. I'd like to at least have a commit in there that isn't just RoR in another repo.

...there's really a lot of stuff in here that's making me question the viability of RoR. I'm hoping the physics sim itself is worthwhile.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  10. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Before committing too much, once you've ripped the guts out we should run some basic tests to see if the simulation is worth it, see if there are any problems, see if the problems are just the same as Truss. There may not be any.

11. m0nsky

m0nsky

Has anyone yet experimented with making truss data persistent? Saving data after a collision and loading on restart?

12. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

No but I did start looking into something similar, because I want to add a rewind to my project, so I can some how reset or manipulate a truss object during gameplay, is this kind of what you mean?

13. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Lamborghini Diablo SV full soft body physics, about 70% complete.

Attached Files:

14. trooper

trooper

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Fibonaccov likes this.
  15. kokimoki

kokimoki

,... Unity 2019.1.1f1 with fix from above posts ,... or witout fix ,... Unity crash on play ,...

16. Heartbroken

Heartbroken

Still works for me. What's in the log?

17. trooper

trooper

Any chance of buy a source code license either per project or per company?

Fibonaccov, devotid and imblue4d like this.
  18. ParaThoxic

ParaThoxic

Hey chaps, heres the deal:
    I managed to make a softbody tire and attach it to the red car. Also i cpnnected all the constraints together the right way.
    I make it fall and the tires just hold nice and still but when i press forward the wheels spin backwards... Any help would be nice.

19. ParaThoxic

ParaThoxic

Dude ur not from this planet u look like my kid asking stuff all the time xD also it seems u cant even use unity :) no hard feelings :)

20. nice2000

nice2000

Hi @Heartbroken I have the same Errors
    TxNative.cs:1542
    TxSoftBody.cs:254
    TxSoftBody.cs:159
    TxComponent.cs:234
    TxComponent.cs:97

but your link "Plugins_No_SSE4.rar" have 403 Error !

Can you upload this file on another server? or Attach it here ? Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  21. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

https://www.file-up.org/ajjbqpjs0nqj Try this v1.0.3

nice2000 likes this.
  22. ParaThoxic

ParaThoxic

Finally i managed to get a full working car and really good tyre physics. I found a really easy method for trusses. Both tyre and mesh deform. Just need to get my own vehicle control script. Friction seems to be an issue here

23. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

This physics engine is not 'yet' ready for vehicles/vehicle games, BeamNG are proof of this with the same issues you will get with this engine, until this library is open source, at the probability of two to the power of 276,709 to one against, the code can't and won't be tailored for tire physics and fast rotation issues. Only slow moving vehicles.

ParaThoxic likes this.
  24. ParaThoxic

ParaThoxic

Yes ur right. My aim is a slow pace vehicle like trucks and a few slow off-roaders. Truss physics seems to be the best pick. Even if its an abandoned project. I wonder how AndersOreum did his vehicle physics. Also there is a guy called "cristineltr" in youtube that seems to nailed the best way for truss physics.

Ps: it happens that im having trouble with the suspension. It just doesnt act normal. I mean, if i go over a rock with thr left wheel the right one seems to follow the other tyre height.

25. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

AndersOreum spent years working on his projects, plus you don't know if he purchased the rights to the code and heavily modified it, and you don't know what spec machine he is using, it's all well and good running it on an uber machine but what about on an average system, mine is above average and it runs like a pig and I get inaccurate physics from the solver. Check your links from the front end aren't effecting the back end links, and visa versa.

26. ParaThoxic

ParaThoxic

Pretty sure im not a pro, but beware that some just want it for the "eye pleasure" inatead of real REAL physics. If u get my point, im good with just a overall "good" physics car but something that makes ur eyes smile... Also my pc is very low spec and i get to run the physics just fine, 80 avrg. I have a pentium G 465 2.8 with a very ancient gt 720. So u get the point. Anders didnt purchase the code cuz hw is making his own from scratch. Peak physics it is

27. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

I believe it is only for eye pleasure, here is a challenge for anyone using truss physics, rig up any high performance sports car, 4 wheel drive whatever, and race it around at 'High' speed 160-200mph, taking tight corners, donuts, anything showing off this physics engine with a high speed vehicle, I haven't seen any evidence this is possible. Using an average to above average system with the solver set to a sensible level, about 3, running at >= 60fps. I have only had what I can tell is accurate tire physics driving at 30-40mph, give or take, anything above and the tires do no perform properly. No slow moving truck videos lol!

28. Adamantius

Adamantius

Amazing asset.

29. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

do somebody have the car? redcar from the demo?

30. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

I need this also

31. noodles0026

noodles0026

Has anyone tried to implement some sort of a node grabber i.e. BeamNG style or any node manipulation during gameplay?

32. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

noodles0026 I didn't tried it. But can you try it?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  33. noodles0026

noodles0026

I have not but I will most probably stop my development using this asset as future support is uncertain. Although there is a similar unreleased plugin on a different engine using FEM method, I would rather wait for that as it is being developed by a bigger company and moving forward is a bit more certain. IF it will be released publicly.

34. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

As far as I can tell you can not do anything with this library because it's not open source and you need to pay 100 to get the source, it'll never be supported again. You're better off wasting time forking the Rigs of Rods engine than playing around with Truss getting nowhere. It's full of issues.

Arsyl_Games likes this.
  35. AlanEvo

AlanEvo

Did you mean FEA by any chance?

36. noodles0026

noodles0026

Finite Element Method.

37. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

38. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

39. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

how do you mean?

40. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

I mean you find model Red Car :) in Asset Store

41. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

Aan ok. Yup, only model

Shadow-X6 likes this.
  42. Shadow-X6

Shadow-X6

Ok :)

43. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

Do somebody still haves the softbody script?

44. pjw2856

pjw2856

45. markgusseff

markgusseff

friends, apparently I was able to fix a unity crash

but I need about a week to test, then I will give you a new version of the red car demo.
    Sorry for my bad english, i use google translator.

Fibonaccov and Arsyl_Games like this.
  46. markgusseff

markgusseff

47. moo9

moo9

can you tell us how? even without a test please..

48. Arsyl_Games

Arsyl_Games

Does anyone nows somebody that can make Truss physics again but for unity 2019.3.4 and up? If you now that person pls ask him to remake it. I really need soft body physics for my car crash game. Here a video about it:
    (not selfpromoting but just to show how much I need this)

NotGoodEnoughh likes this.
  49. markgusseff

markgusseff

Arsyl_Games likes this.
  50. moo9

moo9

seems like It's not the full package, should I add the old demo and replace with yours? thank you in advance :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.