Search Unity

[RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for Unity Pro - Volumetric Skies, Clouds, and Time-of-Day

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rvkennedy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. John-G

John-G

A cloud preset would make a nice addition.

2. unisip

unisip

Hi, I love Truesky.

A couple of questions:
    - it seems the demo scene vanished from the latest update on the asset store. That's too bad, why not reintegrate it (always useful at least for new comers) ?
    - Oculus Rift --> any news of Oculus DK2 support? Would love to use this asset in Rift projects...

Tks

3. thylaxene

thylaxene

Hi, any updates on OSX support?

Cheers.

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

There's a new version. The transparency issues should now be fixed

There is a boolean at the end in the inspector to flip the trueSky Alpha.

5. norby

norby

Any news about the OSX development ? did you succeed in getting a developer for OSX ?

Norby

6. AaronClark

AaronClark

trueSky currently uses compute shaders and OS X does not support this yet, I don't think Simul has any plans to port the code over to OpenCL so my guess is that we could be waiting a while to get this asset on OS X.
    I pickup up trueSkys when it launched though without OS X support I will not be using it in any current projects, maybe a future OS X compatible version will make it into a project though for now it will be collecting dust.

7. Guile_R

Guile_R

Wondering if trueSky currently/will support Unity5? I have been getting the following errors:

8. John-G

John-G

PM Dev for download to Unity 5 beta.

Guile_R likes this.
  9. Guile_R

Guile_R

Thanks John,

Quick question, did you get Truesky to work with Suimono after all? If I'm not mistaken I remember you mentioning it somewhere...

10. neomonster

neomonster

i'm having trouble with transparency issue.
    where can i get the latest update ?

11. neomonster

neomonster

@rvkennedy Hello. latest update you sent me seems transparency issue has been fixed . unfortunately it causes another problem. now transparency objects render on top of anything in the scene. would you please check it out

Attached Files:

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
  12. garyhaus

garyhaus

It was originally posted that there was an estimate of 3 months(ish) to get this over to OS X back in August I believe. Someone above said it is compute shader issue. Would like to hear from developer on progress... Or if it is dead on OS X.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

I'm also getting an issue with transparent objects rendering on top of everything else. This fence uses the standard Transparent/Bumped Diffuse shader. As you can see, in the game view it is rendered on top of everything else and in the scene view it goes off behind the hill.

Game view:

Scene view:

EDIT: Also interesting on hearing about Suimono compatibility as I'm trying to use the two assets together.

Andy

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  14. John-G

John-G

The transparent fix had Suimono working fine for me.
    It's rendering full distance now and no longer being masked of by Truesky.

With regard to issue above you may need to change the render order of the transparent shader.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is this an issue with DX11 ? Is it possible to change the sky shader instead, so no other shader change is required ?

Thanks

16. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

That's strange. I'm using the latest asset store version of both TrueSky and Suimono. Here's what I get when I enable the TrueSky Camera component:

And here is what I get when I disabled the TrueSky Camera component:

17. John-G

John-G

Asset store version is not the latest, you'll need to pm Roderick and get latest version that has the transparent fixes.
    What your seeing is Truesky not adding the transparent water to its depth buffer. So the water only renders against the terrain.
    Fixed version does not have this issue :)

Haven't looked to see if its the render order in Truesky shader, may very well be.
    Just remember had the same issue with another environment package that had the trees render behind the clouds, had to change the order to get clouds behind the trees.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  18. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Brilliant - thanks John. I'll contact Roderick now.

Andy

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Found it, but clouds are black at night, rather than having moon illumination and some cloud shading.

hopeful likes this.
  21. mradfo21

mradfo21

any promise on an OSX release?

22. Synapsy

Synapsy

I have some problems with integrating TrueSky with Marmoset Skyshop. I' not able to render my TrueSky inside cubemap. In skyshop there is a dynamic Cubeprobe script. And that's fine. But for a Skyshop workflow, we need a possibility to render a TrueSky inside a static cubemap. Is there a possibility, that i'm missing, to do that?

23. knotFF

knotFF

When I bought this right at the early-bird stage (aug/sep/14), the asset descriptions mentioned that eventually an OpenGL version would be developed.
    I just revisited this forum and noticed, that questions regarding the OSX version did not get an official reply.
    Is there a development going on for OSX, thus making this great asset available to multi-platforms?
    We are developing games for Windows/Mac/Linux and so far are unable to implement this asset , into our builds, simply because it's not universal yet and we don't want to end up with different sky system for each individual platform (we are a small team and do not have the resources to spend.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  24. hopeful

hopeful

(For what it's worth, the last post by a TrueSKY dev in this thread: Nov 14, 2014.)

25. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Hi, was just wondering how development is going, near beta yet?
    Got things working in Unity 5 and it looks great with the dynamic GI stuff.

26. Julian70400

Julian70400

Hello,

So we can say that Truesky Alpha is abandoned ?

Whitout anymore support, I refuse to buy this plugin.. It's sad :-\

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's not abandoned, the developers are busy as always. I have tested Unity 5 support and it works fine. This is still beta after all :)

28. lazygunn

lazygunn

It's not abandoned at all, in fact their response is very good considering they would naturally want to protect their work. They respond well to emails and will provide you with the latest good build happily on request and proof of purchase

29. sqallpl

sqallpl

Can we get any update on how the developement is going with TrueSky for Unity?

@hippocoder @Thiago Crawford

Works fine with Unity 5 ambient lighting sky input? Is the input (skybox asset) updated for GI (ambient light input) and sky reflection input when the sky is changing in runtime? Can you please tell something about it?

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have an old version they sent me for the purposes of console and desktop evaluation and bug testing. I cannot comment on if it's been updated since unfortunately.

sqallpl likes this.
  31. Elecman

Elecman

I send them an email a week ago asking for a Unity 5 compatible version. No reply since.

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Some features I'd like to see: cloud height, writing depth that's scalable so DOF doesn't obliterate the details, perhaps some form of fix for transparent things.. etc.

sqallpl likes this.
  33. MS80

MS80

Hi, did anyone use TrueSky successful with Unity5 and OculusRift?

34. sashahush

sashahush

Running into the issue of rain/snow only showing up at high altitudes with the latest version.
    Also seeing a grid like clouds showing up. Anyone run into these issues?

35. Elecman

Elecman

The grid like clouds are indeed an issue. Try to post them a mail and see if you can get a response. I had no luck with that unfortunately.

36. CheeryDach_Bryan

CheeryDach_Bryan

I've got an email told me to register in their website but unfortunately I haven't received any password email back, even if I had registered using two email accounts.
    I think that their website's account system is broken.

The most annoying part is that the author did response to me when I send him the email first time to ask for the solution.
    But no any response when I sent him the second, third, fourth email...
    I believe that he did receive my email but I don't know why he is not willing to solve my problem.
    I've paid for this plugin but no any support now makes me really angry...

37. hopeful

hopeful

The trueSKY dev that has been on this thread was most recently online in the forums on March 3. He hasn't posted anything, though, since November.

IMO, the next time he comes around he should drop a line or two to say "howdy" and let us know how things are going.

38. sashahush

sashahush

Ok. once you register on site https://simul.co/ using your invoice # you get access to unity packages.
    Unity 5 Works and Unity 4 Works, problems with the rain and grid clouds are fixed.
    Unity 5 also has an oculus demo which i haven't tried yet. I highly recommend registering there and getting latest from their site.

hopeful likes this.
  39. Elecman

Elecman

I tried registering on their site, but there was no option to add the invoice number.

Edit:
    Ah, I see that you need to log in first and then you can add your invoice number.

By the way, I noticed that Mac support is not on their roadmap.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  40. sqallpl

sqallpl

Can you answer some questions about TrueSky with unity 5 please?

How it works with the Unity 5 ambient light system at the moment?

Is the ambient light updated in real time? Is ambient source affected by both sky and clouds so you get correct ambient input from the skybox or maybe just by the sky?

41. tcn5150

tcn5150

I tried logging in after establishing an account, and there's no option to enter my invoice number. There's just two fields to enter an email address, and a company name. Tried enabling all cookies, and two different browers. Same result.

Edit: after signing up with the same email address I used to buy TrueSky in the asset store, I was able to add my invoice number. Maybe that's what the problem was.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  42. Elecman

Elecman

Strange. Try emailing them, although they don't seem to be too interested in user support atm.

ThunderTruck likes this.
  43. sashahush

sashahush

The scene has a directional light object which truesky is connected to. So truesky controls that light depending on time of day and other settings.

44. tcn5150

tcn5150

Has anyone been able to get TrueSky's dynamic skyboxes working for lighting/reflections? There's no real info on it in the docs that I can find. I was able to get it working (only) in the editor by:

1. Adding a gameobject and attaching the "cubemap probe" script found in /simul/resources/
    2. using /simul/Resources/trueSkySkybox skybox material in Lighting->Skybox

However when I play the scene (or build it) the skybox goes gray (as shown in ambient light and reflections). It's probably something really basic I'm missing here.

besides that, the latest update is very nice! Cheers to Simul!

45. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Howdy guys, sorry for my recent absence! It's been all hands on deck to get the new version ready.

The new version, 3.52, is ready! I've submitted it today to the app store, but if you register at simul.co/register you can get it straight away, as mentioned above.

A lot has been fixed, and a lot added, for this update. Dynamic skyboxes work with Enlighten. You can detect cloud and/or rain at any point. You can even add dynamic point lights to illuminate the clouds. The demo scene shows this in action, containing a detector that glows red when in clouds, and a rain detector that turns red in rain. More API Details at https://docs.simul.co. The artifacts should be much reduced - let me know if not. Unity 5 is now the lead engine for the plugin. Anyone who's still on 4, let me know by email mailto:contact@simul.co, and we'll build a version for you. It works on both 32 and 64 bit editors, for 32 and 64 bit targets.

Mac OS is on the roadmap! We're working on our OpenGL rendercode right now; when it's mature we'll be able to do an OSX build. Another couple of months at least though, I'd say.

The current fix for transparency is the TransparencyCamera class. It's not ideal, and we are working with Unity to find a better solution - more on that when I have it.

Now that the release is ready, I'll crack on with making a tutorial video, stay tuned!

thylaxene, DMeville, sqallpl and 4 others like this.
  46. John-G

John-G

Great to see you back Roderick. Great news on the new version, any chance you got the lightning fixed.

47. AaronClark

AaronClark

Glad to see OS X is still on the roadmap. Thanks for the update.

DMeville likes this.
  48. sashahush

sashahush

Fantastic! thanks for the updates, been looking forward to these new features!

49. hopeful

hopeful

Downloaded the new version into a clean project and I'm getting this:

DllNotFoundException: Assets/Simul/Plugins/x86_64/TrueSkyPluginRender_MT.dll

and lots of related errors, like

Failed to load 'Assets/Simul/Plugins/x86_64/TrueSkyPluginRender_MT.dll' with error 'The specified module could not be found.
    ', GetDllDirectory returned ''. If GetDllDirectory returned non empty path, check that you're using SetDirectoryDll correctly.

I'm not familiar with running TrueSKY, so if I'm missing some step, please let me know. I've tried clicking on the demo scene and get the error, and I've tried "Initialize trueSKY in Scene" in an empty scene and I get the error.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  50. siliwangi

siliwangi

Install directx SDK

John-G likes this.