Search Unity

[RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for Unity Pro - Volumetric Skies, Clouds, and Time-of-Day

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rvkennedy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. John-G

John-G

Hi Roderick, forgot to ask is visual magnitude of stars modelled?
    Also is it possible to add a scale feature to stars based on visual magnitude so the lower the magnitude the larger the star appears.
    This with the scale for sun would really help make the astronomical aspect of the package stand out, for those that like scale look more natural than actual physical reality based scales on monitor fov's.

2. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Thanks for looking into that Roderick.
    The fix for the shadow direction seemed to work (in the limited testing I did).

Regarding scripting not working, I corrected myself in post #91 because it works fine as long as no sequencer asset is assigned to the TrueSky object, but it has no effect if the TrueSky object already has a sequencer asset assigned.
    I'm not sure if that's deliberate or not.

What may be preferable is if we were able to assign a sequence asset to TrueSky and use that as a starting point, and then use scripting to adjust things as required.
    The way it works at the moment is that it seems default keyframes are setup when scripting. I'm guessing if no sequencer file is attached, TrueSky just generates a few default keyframes in code.

The example I gave was deliberately altering the first keyframe.
    Instead of creating new keyframes (which I think is already posible?), I thought it best to edit the pre-existing ones.
    That way I know all the keyframes are set up by me rather than relying on default values.

In my current code, I count the existing keyframes that TrueSky has generated (because no sequence asset is attached).
    I then loop through them setting up each one exactly how I want it (time, cloud cover, etc), within the current limitations of the API.
    It works really well, although I've not figured out precipitation through scripting yet.

One thing I've noticed is that if you have two keyframes where you alter the cloudiness from say 0.3 to 0.7. You can see a smooth transition between the two values over time where the sky gradually gets cloudier, which is great.
    However for a fraction of a second when a new keyframe starts, the cloud cover will noticeably change quite abruptly. The level of cloud cover is correct (0.7), it's just a different looking 0.7 to what you would have expected given the previous few seconds of playback.
    In other words, the smoothness of transition seems to break at the start of a new keyframe and only works in the time in between.
    I'm not sure if that's just a limitation of the system or a bug. If nobody know's what I mean, I'll try and capture a video at some point.

3. John-G

John-G

Having a sequence asset attached then using the for loop to go thru and edit like in the example works for me.

4. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Yes, we store the magnitude, and you can set the maximum magnitude to render in the Sky panel. I've just added constellations, there's a preview of the interface below - there's a few things I'd like to add before doing a new build though - some kind of sky grid perhaps.

I think scaling stars based on magnitude is worth looking at; but now have a look at the Star Brightness control. You can adjust it so that the low magnitude stars stand out against the dimmer ones.

John-G likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

Is it possible to see the Milky Way with this plugin?

6. John-G

John-G

Nice look the new diagnostics, really digging the neon glow.
    Any luck with the position of stars?
    Excellent see you got the 5degree spacing implemented.

Example of grids used in stellarium:
    Images from phone, orientation should be rotated 90deg to get correct grid orientation.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    rvkennedy and Guile_R like this.
  7. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

I'm also having an issue where stuff in the sequencer is greyed out for me.

I also see this when I try to create a new sequencer:
    UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\TrueSky\Assets\Plugins\x86\TrueSkyPluginRender_MT.dll" is denied.

8. John-G

John-G

Are you using latest build from dev, asset store version has some issues.
    Best to PM or mail dev for access to updated version.

9. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Yep, Roderick got me sorted.

The system clearly looks very powerful and I look forward to gaining more familiarity with it.

Just starting to play around and have a few questions:
    • Can I customize the day cycle speed and still keep some things "normal"? For example I'm doing a survival game, I want a shorter day cycle (~30min to 1hr = 24 hrs), but keep normal pace of clouds and weather. When I adjust the "speed" float variable on the TrueSky script, things indeed speed up, but of course cloud speeds are ramped up accordingly, and sunsets and sunrises are over very quickly, which looks great for a timelapse, but bad for general gameplay. Do I just set clouds to a lower speed to match? and is there a good way to stretch out the sunrise/sunset time period to accommodate a 24-48x increase in speed? I see the section on fixing daytime and about decoupling Time from TimeOfDay, but I don't think that's necessarily the route I want to go.
    • For my game I'd probably like to construct a "default" day and night cycle that will repeat consistently, and use some of my own logic to determine weather events and such. For instance, maybe at 12:00 it is partly cloudy, but the game decides it should be fully cloudy with some light rain by 15:00, how do I set things in motion so that it that would happen by this time, but the transition will look natural (not abrupt). Looking at the scripting API I'm guessing I would start inserting or modifying keyframes at 15:00? Ideally I'd like to make template methods for this so I can update a bunch of settings by just calling "MakeCloudy(15);"
    • Other than the couple pages of docs listing functionality, are there any tutorial resources showing how to make some more beautiful day cycles? Playing around will get me more familiar I'm sure, but it would be nice to have a "best practices" tutorial (and this could probably be engine agnostic, since I know you're not just Unity). In the same vein, a project version of the .exe demo would be nice to see how that is being done.
    • Something annoying I've found after using for a few minutes. I use the scroll wheel to move up and down the Sequencer pane, except if my mouse cursor happens to be over a slider control at some time, then it will stop scrolling the pane and modify the slider, leading to lots of unintentional changes. Personally I'd prefer to just drag sliders because I know I'm consciously changing them. If not by default, could you "disable" this by a bool?

10. John-G

John-G

Yes you can decouple the time from day/ night cycle. It's explained in the read me.
    You can access it from menu TrueSky help.

11. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I think we have the star positions correct, based on the tests I've done with Stellarium and calsky.org. With the new interface you'll be able to highlight constellations to verify this. Don't forget, we ignore daylight savings!
    I guess we could make it somehow that clouds and sky are on a separate timeline, not sure what that would do to the editor though. But you can override cloud wind speed so that wind is a realtime (non-interpolated) property - would that do the trick?
    Yes - you can do this from C# and it should work well. We'll be adding subdivisions to the cloud keyframes at some point so that changes are less abrupt.
    More tutorials are on the way! I can't distribute the whole demo project as it contains some landscape assets that aren't ours, but we can give you the rest of it.
    I think we'll just disable wheel-control of sliders. Does anyone really want this?

Yes!

John-G and hopeful like this.
  12. John-G

John-G

Latest update is looking fantastic, can't wait to test it our 'will keep the daylight saving in my mind when testing'.

Will lightning be fixed in next update, no worries if not. Not in any rush.

EDIT:
    +1 For disabling of wheel control on sliders.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    rvkennedy likes this.
  13. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

When I tried it with a sequence asset attached I could loop through and edit the values via scripting, but the rendering wouldn't update to reflect the changes (eg. cloudiness from 0.4 to 0.8).
    However, running the same code without a sequence asset attached meant any changes I made via scripting were instantly visible in rendering.
    Will try again after next update.

14. John-G

John-G

Hi RichJones:

This is my test KeyFrameTesting.cs script using a sequence attached. Works 100% setting all keyframes to slide values.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class KeyframeTesting : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public simul.trueSKY trueSky=null;
    7.     float Cloudiness = 0.5F;
    8.     float DistributionBase= 0.5F;
    9.     float DistributionTransition = 0.5F;
    10.     float UpperDensity = 0.5F;
    11.     float CloudBase = 5.0F;
    12.     float WindSpeed = 200.0F;
    13.     float WindHeading = 0.0F;
    14.     float SimulTime = 0.5F;
    16.     void OnGUI() {
    17.         GUI.contentColor = Color.red;
    18.         //Slider's for Sky Main
    19.         Cloudiness = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 20, 200, 15), Cloudiness, 0.0F, 1.0F);
    20.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 5, 150, 20), "Cloudiness: ");
    21.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 5, 100, 20), Cloudiness.ToString());
    23.         DistributionBase= GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 40, 200, 15), DistributionBase, 0.0F, 1.0F);
    24.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 25, 150, 20), "Distribution Base: ");
    25.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 25, 100, 20), DistributionBase.ToString());
    27.         DistributionTransition = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 60, 200, 15), DistributionTransition, 0.0F, 1.0F);
    28.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 45, 150, 20), "Distribution Transition: ");
    29.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 45, 100, 20), DistributionTransition.ToString());    
    31.         UpperDensity = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 80, 200, 15), UpperDensity, 0.0F, 1.0F);
    32.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 65, 150, 20), "Upper Density: ");
    33.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 65, 100, 20), UpperDensity.ToString());
    35.         CloudBase = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 100, 200, 15), CloudBase, 0.0F, 25.0F);
    36.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 85, 150, 20), "Cloud Base: ");
    37.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 85, 100, 20), CloudBase.ToString());
    39.         WindSpeed = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 120, 200, 15), WindSpeed, 0.0F, 1000.0F);
    40.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 105, 150, 20), "Wind Speed: ");
    41.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 105, 100, 20), WindSpeed.ToString());    
    43.         WindHeading = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 140, 200, 15), WindHeading, 0.0F, 360.0F);
    44.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 125, 150, 20), "Wind Heading: ");
    45.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 125, 100, 20), WindHeading.ToString());
    47.         SimulTime = GUI.HorizontalSlider(new Rect(25, 160, 200, 15), SimulTime, 0.0F, 1.0F);
    48.         GUI.Label(new Rect(25, 145, 150, 20), "Time: ");
    49.         GUI.Label(new Rect(165, 145, 100, 20), SimulTime.ToString());
    50.     }
    52.     void Update ()
    53.     {
    54.         if(trueSky!=null)
    55.         {
    56.             int numj=trueSky.GetNumCloudKeyframes();
    57.             for(int i=0;i<numj;i++)
    58.             {
    59.                 //Update 2D with value set by slider
    60.                 uint uid2D=trueSky.GetCloud2DKeyframeByIndex(i);
    61.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid2D,"time",SimulTime);
    63.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid2D,"cloudiness",Cloudiness);
    64.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid2D,"windSpeed",WindSpeed/2);
    66.                 //Update 3D with value set by slider
    67.                 uint uid3D=trueSky.GetCloudKeyframeByIndex(i);
    68.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"time",SimulTime);
    69.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"cloudiness",Cloudiness);
    70.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"distributionBase",DistributionBase); // Not Working (distributionBase - Incorrect Name)?
    71.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"distributionTransition",DistributionTransition);
    72.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"upperDensity",UpperDensity);
    73.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"cloudBase",CloudBase);
    74.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"windSpeed",WindSpeed);
    75.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uid3D,"windHeadingDegrees",WindHeading);  // Not Working (windHeadingDegrees- Incorrect Name)?
    77.                 //Update Sky with value set by slider
    78.                 uint uidSky=trueSky.GetSkyKeyframeByIndex(i);
    79.                 trueSky.SetKeyframeValue(uidSky,"time",SimulTime);
    80.             }
    81.         }
    82.     }
    83. }
    Some of the values are not working like Wind Heading - have been unable to find correct names for these as ones in docs do not work.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Have a minor issue. When adding trueSky to my scene my landscape is getting cut off. Tried just about every setting I can think of. I'm sure I am missing something. See attached before and after screenshots.

BeforeTrueSky.png AfterTrueSky.png

16. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Hi Vern,

You don't seem to be getting atmospherics over your landscape either. Can you enable the trueSKY Compositing debug overly in the trueSKY gameobject and show me what it does? Also, is this with deferred or forward rendering, and what are the camera near and far distances? What happens when you change these values?

17. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi,
    I bought version 4...
    To upgrade at the version 5 I have to buy another one?

18. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Hi - I just picked up this asset and am blown away by how easy it is to set up and drop into our game. I'm still playing with all the settings but have one question I wanted to ask now.

I love the stars and want to see lots, but is there a way to disable the 'twinkling' while still seeing lots of stars?

Lovely stars :)

In a still screenshot it looks really lovely, but I find the brighter ones a little distracting. That's not the main issue though - the main issue is what happens when I turn on night vision...

Euurgh!

The brightness, combined with the 'pulsing in and out' is really ugly.

Is there a way to disable the halo effect around brighter stars while still maintaining a large visible number?

Thanks!

Andy

rvkennedy likes this.
  19. John-G

John-G

Strange, I don't have a halo effect around my stars. Mine even on brightest setting all are only a few pixels wide. In fact I've asked the dev for an option to scale the stas up based on light distance.
    Are you using forward or deferred rendering?

Really like the look of your GUI.

20. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Hi,
    i'm trying to achieve the best convincing lightning.
    With the SimulSun.cs script i get good results but i realized that it is also important to set the ambient light.(Especially at night/sunrise/sunset). A quick hack in the script enhances it :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update()
    2.         {
    3.             if (trueSky != null)
    4.             {
    5.                ......
    6.                 this.light.color = c;
    7.                 RenderSettings.ambientLight = c;//Ambient hack
    8.             }
    9.             else
    10.             {
    11.                 UnityEngine.Debug.LogError("SimulSun script needs trueSKY object");
    12.             }
    13.         }
    but i think of be a better solution that should involve that main color of the sky and the clouds.
    A first step would be that trueSky has a method like trueSky.getSkyColor(). (At least for the pure sky without clouds) .
    Is this possible or is there another solution to get a better ambient light that changes in combination with the sun?

rvkennedy and John-G like this.
  21. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Hmmm. That's strange. I'm using deferred rendering. I just tested in forward rendering and I don't get the halo effect. I'll keep tinkering - it might be something on one of the cameras.

22. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Ok now.
    Unity asset store error I suppose...

23. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Hey Andy! There is a global Brightness control in the Sky control panel. But that would affect the visibility in non-night vision mode. I realized after reading your post that we need a more general control of Sky and Cloud layer properties, so we've added this. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. trueSky.SetSkyFloat("StarBrightness", 10000.0F);
    Ping me at contact@simul.co for the update!

I've added trueSKY.getAmbientColour - you can add this yourself to trueSKY.cs as:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Vector3 getAmbientColour()
    2.         {
    3.             if (!_initialized)
    4.                 Init();
    5.             Vector3 c = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    6.             try
    7.             {
    8.                 float r = StaticGetRenderFloat("AmbientRadianceRed");
    9.                 float g = StaticGetRenderFloat("AmbientRadianceGreen");
    10.                 float b = StaticGetRenderFloat("AmbientRadianceBlue");
    11.                 c.x = r;
    12.                 c.y = g;
    13.                 c.z = b;
    14.             }
    15.             catch (Exception exc)
    16.             {
    17.                 UnityEngine.Debug.Log(exc.ToString());
    18.             }
    19.             return c;
    20.         }
    Or mail me for the update. We'll post a new Asset Store version soon.

John-G likes this.
  24. John-G

John-G

Hi Roderick any update with the documentation for correct state name to use in code.
    Will updated be available to download today, can't wait to text star positions.

25. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Can you remind me what you mean by state name? We have a new version - I'll email you the link.

26. John-G

John-G

For example time, cloudBase, distributionTransistion.
    While distributionBase does not work.

So in essence a full list of current unity names for each of the currently implemented script hooks.

Thanks Roderick, look forward to new version.

27. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Ah - that should be distributionBaseLayer. I've updated the docs at https://simul.co//wp-content/uploads/documentation/unity/TrueSkyUnity.html with a more comprehensive list; also I've sent you a link to the update.

Anyone else who needs it, just mail us at contact@simul.co (please send your Asset Store invoice number the first time you contact us).

I've also added the demo - you'll find it in Assets/Simul/demo.

And 64-bit should be working fine now.

Let me know!

UPDATE: Here's the new demo: http://simul.co/wp-content/uploads/private/master/trueSkyAlphaDemo2.zip

I forgot to change the settings to work with Oculus Rift so the next demo will have this, but for those of you looking at Rift support - select the 3D Clouds layer and check "3d Noise".

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    John-G likes this.
  28. John-G

John-G

Thanks Roderick just looking over the new documentation, looking a lot more extensive than previous.
    Also spotted the sun scale feature so thank you for that. Now just need to get home and try it out. :)

Ooh also see a new ocean tab in the screenshot, that has me intrigued. ;)

rvkennedy likes this.
  29. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Ah yes, the ocean. This is an experimental feature so it will be some time before we can release it, but the idea is to have a water object that works as well from below as above, and integrates seamlessly. But our priority is skies for now!

hopeful, Xeir and John-G like this.
  30. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

I just bought this asset and I got a problem with my tree billboards and other transparent objects being overlapped by the clouds and sky.
    I am not that great in shader programming so could you give me a hint on how to change that?

Attached Files:

31. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Hi DrThirteen, are you using the unity standard trees and transparencies? Can you let me know which assets they are and I'll test them and see if I can find a solution for you.

32. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

I just changed the billboard shader and it works but I am still having issues with particle shaders.

For example when I use the built-in Particles/Additive shader

Attached Files:

33. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Can you release the sequencers you guys use for the demos with the project downloads? I'm still on the original release, but I have been downloading the newer versions, and I have noticed you have to start with a blank slate. It would be nice to have some examples included that could be dropped in quickly as a basis for creating new ones. The demo one would be a good start.

34. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

True Alpha SKY

TrueSKY Alpha ( COOL! but can be a sales limite; people believes is in Alpha stage )

Alpha TrueSKY

Thanks team for this product!
    Was a nice surprise for me when I realized that was not in alpha stage.
    Is not super stable. Hoping you improve it; I can work with it.
    I recommend it with 5 stars; looking to the future...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    rvkennedy likes this.
  35. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Wishes for the future in order.

Add 2d Cloud shader that multiply the actual shader
    Add 3d Cloud shader that multiply the actual shader

To take out the burning bloom, or make the transition from light gray to white smoothly.
    (I apply the ColorCorrectionEffect (Script) with psdTexture Ramp. The ramp was remap in Photoshop with strong S shape curve in the levels but the improvement was not good enough)

For Simulation:
    What i need if possible is a extra texture (alpha channel) filter from top
    for changing the cirrus type.
    examples:
    http://www.cesbio.ups-tlse.fr/multitemp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Paris_cirrus_avions.png
    http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=63665
    http://www.redorbit.com/images/pic/72017/earth-labrador-sea-cloud-streets-image-by-aqua-022013/
    Into the cirrus 2d noise layer or into the 3d cumulus noise layer.
    So that I can brake the noise repetition (clouds repeat themselves too much). I can take out data from it (lift, shadows) and we can add a real satellite cirrus image from a server.

For Artist:
    Capacity to change sun texture and dimension without loosing performance ( when is going down i wish as an artist to make the sun much much bigger and darker orange interacting with the deep clouds).( When i apply John G scripting looks that the performance drop down).

A extra texture (rgb channel) filter from top to paint cirrus (2d layer) and add color into it, ( interacting with the alpha channel).

A extra color texture tilt (rgb channel) filter from front to paint bubbles into the cloud (3d clouds) and add color into it. ( so i can change the power of the cloud, making a transition from a fumulus to a powerfull congestus.

More stable interface window.

An extra

36. John-G

John-G

Don't forget to disable the debug calls in the Truesky.cs script, or you'll suffer a hit to performance as its constantly writing to console.

37. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Thanks Captain
    I double check and I disable "Diagnostics" in the TrueSKY script.

Passing from 4fps to close to 200fps

upload_2014-10-22_17-46-55.png
    I need to look at my custom transparent shaders (Are not working ).

As well as the reflection cub map.
    Any idea?
    Do i need to make the cub map textures in last update?

upload_2014-10-22_17-57-12.png

rvkennedy likes this.
  38. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

I've been trying to get this to work and still having no luck. I'm having the same issue as was seen on page 1 where no matter what I do (new project, tried on 2 different hard drives) it constantly tells me it can't find the .dll files (but they are there!) Any fix for this greatly appreciated

39. siliwangi

siliwangi

Install directx SDK

40. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Thanks HGarry, that solved the problem..

I have a quick question about true sky for the devs...

We are looking to use it in a multiplayer environment where the sky is very important. Is it possible to have the density controlled by a map that we could specify? some data that we could feed into the shader? I'd love to know if there are any variables in the shader we can set (through script) that could be used to create truly deterministic non repeating clouds based on some kind of external weather source.

Many thanks

41. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

This asset is off to a great start - the skies are beautiful. I've encountered a couple niggling issues/bugs so far, I'll be brief:

1) The Directional Light direction doesn't match the rendered sky
    suggested fix: replace line 702 of trueSky.cs with this:
    Quaternion q = Quaternion.AngleAxis(180f + az, Vector3.up) * Quaternion.AngleAxis(el, Vector3.right);

2) The sequence editor: some sliders update the sky while you adjust them, some update it after you release the mouse button, others don't update it at all

3) The sequence editor: sometimes it closes for no reason. Trying to figure out what else is going on that might cause it to lose focus. Personally I'd prefer that you had to explicitly close it rather than it just closing automatically when you click off of it.

4) Sky general settings are not saved or loaded property. Sun latitude and longitude values are getting saved into the .asset file, but for some reason they get reset when pressing Play or doing a Build & Run. This means you can never set the Longitude/Latitude in a project, or the date. Not sure if other sections are affected.

5) I've had the wizard/initialize function crash on me sometimes and it was unable to resume, had to close and reopen Unity. I'll try to watch for repro steps. Log from error:
    I really want to give this a 5* review on the store, I just think it needs a little more polish to get there :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    rvkennedy likes this.
  42. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

Also a feature request: would it be possible to add a method, Vector3 trueSky.getMoonRotation() ... and maybe float trueSky.getMoonPhase() ? something that would help us to make a SimulMoon.cs script? :) night times are going to be an important aspect of my project...

rvkennedy likes this.
  43. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

It's certainly something the system can handle, we need to create an interface for it though. We're working hard on transparencies and Unity 5 support just now, after that we'll be able to get back to new features!

44. John-G

John-G

Transparency will be great, especially for waves on an ocean against the clouds. Looking forward to that one.
    Just a reminder if you get a chance to look at lightning, currently does not generate correctly.
    Seems to just draw a straight line between clouds or from cloud to camera position.

Been testing the new star positions and while much better they appear to be a bit of still.
    Will do some testing and post results of times days lat/long for viewing.
    Can you show an example how to script the sun resize, all my attempts have the sun at default Size, followed the doc but no success.

rvkennedy likes this.
  45. Elecman

Elecman

46. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Done!

There's a new version. The transparency issues should now be fixed - so water and particles should work well. Stars and planets are correctly obscured by scenery. The trueSKY UI changes skin with the Unity Editor. And for those of you testing Unity 5, a pre-release package is now available for the 64-bit Editor. So mail me at contact@simul.co for the update.

After a few days of testing this, we'll address the remaining issues you've raised, and hopefully get onto making some tutorials. Real-time cubemaps are underway, though Unity seems to have some issues with using RenderToCubemap with a depth texture.

hopeful and John-G like this.
  47. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

TrueSky looks amazing! I have it on my wishlist. Great news on solving the transparency issue, and it's nice that you're already working on Unity 5 support.

I have a question regarding weather effects: Is it possible to disable the default rain particle system, and replace it with custom particles of rain/snow? I might want to use a GPU particle system, or custom billboard textures.

Also, I noticed in the demo program that there's a very strong bloom effect on the sky. Is this a Unity setting, or is it inherent to the plugin? I would probably prefer less bloom and a more distinct sun.

rvkennedy and John-G like this.
  48. stuckon3d

stuckon3d

Is it possible to control where the clouds go, either by drawing a box volume or a texture map?

49. Seith

Seith

@rvkennedy Hello, I just bought this asset and while the visuals look very good I have met several issues in my short time trying to use it:

- I am simply trying to orient the path of the sun to match my scene and I am failing miserably so far. How can I do that relatively basic thing? My directional light's rotation is being taken over by TrueSky (which I understand) but so I have no way to change the overall sun orientation (not just time of day). I've tried playing with Latitude and Longitude but that didn't work; the sun remains on a straight line through the sky.

I've tried the fix by @Homer Johnston but I still miss a general simple (and hopefully visual) way to set the plane of ecliptic.

- There is a grave transparency issue with particles, which are hidden as soon as they overlap the sky. I understand you might have fixed that already?

- In the same topic the stars appear over my set/characters. Instead of just the sky. But it seems you're already aware of this small problem.

- The Simul trueSky window remains on top of all other Window's applications (eg: Firefox) even when Unity is not in focus, which is obviously a problem.

- The sun looks like a white square in the sky. Almost like a gizmo icon. Which is very strange:

- I've been trying to follow the documentation page called "FixingDaytime.html" unfortunately things don't work as described. When I select all the keys I have no field to set their daytime. And no dialer gizmo either.

- The overall settings are not persistent; they're reset as soon as I hit play mode.

- When clicking in a field to input a number, the number that is already present should automatically be selected so you just punch in the new value (which is the standard way Unity works). Currently you have to carefully aim and select all the numbers in the field.

- The middle-mouse button (used to scroll down the sequence editor window) is sometimes caught by the sliders themselves which is very annoying indeed. It should only scroll the UI, not change values.

- The sequence editor seems unresponsive sometimes because the game view is updated only when releasing a slider. While some other controls seem to have an immediate effect. As such I'm always unsure if what I did had an effect or if I need to release the mouse button.

- I rely on the SunShafts.js post-effect Unity script but it requires an actual transform from which the rays emanate. However (unless I'm mistaken) there is no actual transform for the sun in TrueSky. Is there a way for me to put a transform at the sun's position (at a certain distance)?

- The Simul trueSky sequence window now pops up every time I open a scene, even if that scene has absolutely no TrueSky elements whatsoever. :( I suspect this has something to do with there existing a default TrueSky sequence asset with that scene name (from when I was testing the asset).

I agree with Homer Johnston that this asset looks very promising but of course it still needs a lot of work (as all those problems can be found within 10mn of using the asset). Documentation would also need to be updated and video (or written) tutorials are indeed sorely needed.

I do hope you'll be able address all those issues as I really would like to use that asset for Ghost of a Tale. Cheers!

Seith

PS: I am on 4.6rc2, using DX11.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  50. Elecman

Elecman

1) I can see some repetitive patterns. It would be nice if you could randomize it a bit more.

2) I noticed that when using Forward and Linear rendering, when adding a tone mapping component to the camera, it flips the image around.

3) Feature request: Easy cloud type presets like cirrus, cumulus, etc, without having to meddle with the keyframe editor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cloud_types