Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for Unity Pro - Volumetric Skies, Clouds, and Time-of-Day

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rvkennedy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Works great @nachosimul. Thx for the updated version. Now I'm looking forward to see the snow back to trueSky. And any chances that the sound system will be integrated in one of the next versions? :)

Konst likes this.
  2. nachosimul

nachosimul

I think that snow and other features will be on the 4.2 ;)

Konst and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  3. thylaxene

thylaxene

Is there ever going to be a macOS version? Does having Metal 2 on the horizon help at all?

4. nachosimul

nachosimul

Hi, at the moment we don't have planned a macOS version but it's something that at some point we would like to have.

5. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi @nachosimul is there an ETA for the version 4.2?

Exbleative likes this.
  6. nachosimul

nachosimul

We are still fixing some things and adding features so I think it will probably take a few weeks until we are ready to release.

Konst and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  7. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thanks for the info. ;)

8. VengenceARTs

VengenceARTs

Question, will there ever be tornadoes in between the clouds or below them in the future? I really want to make a Venusian Sky.

9. nachosimul

nachosimul

Hi! In future versions, we would like to add more tools that will give the user more artistic control over the cloud volumes, I don't think we will have a "tornado" per se, but you will have the tools to make it.

Konst, John-G and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  10. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I've had some problems since I upgraded to unity 2017, has anyone else experienced any of these and have any solutions?

upload_2017-9-26_10-43-9.png

Konst likes this.
  11. nachosimul

nachosimul

Hi @Mr-Logan , I just tried it and I've got the same error when creating a new project and importing the plugin. Creating a new scene and initialising trueSKY there will work just fine. I've been investigating that error and it may be caused by our repo adding some weird endline characters. We will investigate this :)

12. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

OK, that's the conclusion I came to too as I looked through different forum posts!
    We don't need to build any time soon so I'll just leave it be for the time :)

13. nachosimul

nachosimul

Does building the project cause any problems?

14. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Yeah, it simply can't.
    These are the errors I'm getting:
    upload_2017-9-29_15-19-20.png

Also, on an unrelated note TrueSky seems to disable ambient lighting (the blueish backlighting), this has been going on since I started using TrueSky, but it didn't really seem very critical, but it also doesn't seem like anyone else has reported it, so I figure I'll just do that now. :)

upload_2017-9-29_15-20-6.png

As you can see the amount of actual light on the terrain is too low, and the house is entirely black on the shadow side, I've fiddled with pretty much all the settings and can't seem to affect the terrain or meshes in any way.
    The only "Ambient Light" setting I've found is directly on 3D Cloud nodes, but it only affects the clouds.

Also I'd love some way of "pinning" the sequencer window so it doesn't vanish when I click something else (if that's possible) :)

John-G likes this.
  15. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

My bad, it seems the errors that were causing it not to build were actually caused by RTP and not True Sky, sorry for the miss understanding on that one.
    However, I have a different issue, now that I can build, the clouds aren't showing ingame.

I got a null reference exception from TrueSkyCamera.cs at line 93, after tracking it down it's caused by CloudsShadowsRT not being imported properly, which of course means that it can't be assigned to the field on the TrueSky camera component, doh... ^_^

16. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I get the same errors with all versions since 4.1.679. Version 678 is the last version without errors for me. And I can't create a build with the newer version. I noticed that all versions after 678 have a big difference in the file size (around 127MB and size version 679 around 115MB).

17. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

It just struck me that I could just replace the missing render texture, and the game builds with no errors and runs with no errors being logged.
    However I still have some shader errors (that vanish if I don't use truesky)

upload_2017-10-2_11-13-7.png

As you can clearly see the clouds are missing, also everything is covered with redness (which flickers).

18. nachosimul

nachosimul

Mr-Logan likes this.
  19. nachosimul

nachosimul

An update on the problem with the files. It seams that we recently changed a config on the repo and for some reason it is parsing some unity files (like that render texture or the material) as text. It is also adding a default "EOL" and that is what is breaking those files. We are in the middle of an update of the main 4.1 branch so this fix will take some time.
    In the mean time, there are two solutions: stick to an older working version or just recreate the problematic assets yourself.
    Sorry about that.

Bartolomeus755, Lex4art and Mr-Logan like this.
  20. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Thanks for the response :)

nachosimul likes this.
  21. nachosimul

nachosimul

Hi guys, sorry for the delay it has been crazy last weeks, I updated the repo to don't mess with end of lines. As always the build server is not ready so I will let you know.

Konst, Lex4art and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  22. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thanks for heads up @nachosimul.

23. nachosimul

nachosimul

Hi guys, version 4.1a.779 (25 Oct) is up and ready to download, let me know if its working fine!

John-G, Bartolomeus755 and hippocoder like this.
  24. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi nachosimul,

I tried the newest version. Works great so far, no issue during the import. The rain and snow works also fine. I really like the new night sky, looks much better.

Now I'm looking forward to have some environment sounds like wind-sound with higher windspeeds. And I have a request, it would be nice to have a CTS integration in trueSKY like in other weather/time of day assets. So you can control the wetness and snow fall on the terrain with trueSKY.

But so far, the new version is great. Thank you!

Marko

Mr-Logan and John-G like this.
  25. nachosimul

nachosimul

Yeah the point stars are now working and also the snow and rain are enabled. For the sound I'm not sure if it is a thing we should handle from the plugin side or if the user should implement it, rain status can be queried and the sounds could be reproduced, what do you think about that? What is CTS?

Thanks!

26. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

It's the Complete Terrain Shader from Adam Goodrich, but it's not a must have for me, I have my own integration just finished. ;)

But for the sounds it would be great to have a basic integration of environment sounds in trueSKY.

27. nachosimul

nachosimul

It would be something simple to integrate I guess, if they supply a way of setting the wetness/snow it can be queried from our plugin. We could have some AudioClips for rain and for the storm.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  28. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

29. nachosimul

nachosimul

Mr-Logan likes this.
  30. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Here an update after some testing with the newest version. I tested trueSKY with Ultimate Water System. And it's really nice to see that, if the sunlight is blocked by the cloudiness, then the reflections on the water surface are also reduced.

But I have an issue with the skybox. The skybox is rotated 180 degrees so the sunrise is now in the west. If I rotate the skybox then the direction of the sun and moon is correct. But the shadows are still 180 degrees inverted. Or did I miss something?

EDIT: Ok, I found the problem. I have forgot to activate automatic sun and moon position for all sky properties in the sequencer. Works great now!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Mr-Logan, nachosimul, John-G and 2 others like this.
  31. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I have a problem with the new point stars. They work fine in the editor, but after creating a build they're disappeared. Then I only have the 2d cosmic background map. They are only work in the Unity editor.

32. John-G

John-G

@Bartolomeus755 do you have an issue with depth blending of Truesky clouds and UWS water?
    Just got UWS and finding that the clouds are not viewable above the water, water always masks the clouds out for me.
    Had similar issue previous with Ceto which was solved with the transparent shader order.
    But not sure how to do the same with UWS.
    Issue is very noticeable when camera is above clouds looking down at water.
    Have you found a solution around this issue.

Exbleative likes this.
  33. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi John-G,

Unfortunately, I have no high cameras in my sim, I only use cameras near the water surface. That's why I have not noticed this issue with trueSKY and UWS. But I will check this. I think the best would be you put the issue in the UWS repo on github.

Regards
    Marko

John-G likes this.
  34. Vassa91

Vassa91

Hi!
    I'm using TrueSky (last stable version) on a VR project on unity 2017.2 and as soon as i install truesky into my scene when i'm in play every material in my scene turn almost completely transparent and the sky is not animating and showing properly.
    The only materials immune to this are the cutout materials.
    Opaque, fade, transparent and all my custom shaderforge shaders are not working.
    Also it seem the camera has some clear flag problems, because it happens
    that the camera print on itself some part of the properly lit scene (with no transparency at all).

EDIT:
    i'm using a vive, currently on forward + single pass rendering, i have beautify and post processing stack v2 in my scene.

Do anyone know why this happen?
    I really need to use directly truesky in my scene, rendering it in a skybox and putting it im the scene will make me lose a giant amount of time trying to simulate the lighting change during time of day change and etc..

35. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi @nachosimul,

I'm quite happy with the new version(s) of trueSKY, the only thing I can't get it to work is the point stars after creating a build. In the Editor the point stars are working properly.

Marko

36. nachosimul

nachosimul

I've seen some issues before caused by the interaction of ts and the stack. Can you recreate that problem with a simpler scene?

I'll need to take a look at that.

37. nachosimul

nachosimul

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  38. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That's great nachosimul, looking forward to get the fix. Thanks! ;)

39. sqallpl

sqallpl

@nachosimul

Hi,

After updating TrueSky to the latest version (trueSKYAlpha-Unity5.6-4.1a.814-Win32_x64) I'm getting a lot of errors that start with "DllNotFoundException: TrueSkyPluginRender_MT" and "
    Failed to load 'Assets/Simul/Plugins/x86_64/TrueSkyPluginRender_MT.dll' with error 'The specified module could not be found.'

I've tried it on a fresh project with same result.

I've tried with oldest available package of 4.1a (trueSKYAlpha-Unity5.6-4.1a.774-Win32_x64) with same result.

edit: I've just tried with the new 4.1 package and it works. (trueSKYAlpha-Unity5.6-4.1.814-Win32_x64)

Previously I was using some older TrueSky version that was few months old.

I'm on Unity 2017.1.0.p4

Any idea what can I do about that?

Thanks.

BTW. When I'm reverting to the older package and updating it to the new one, Unity shows an error that it can't access the dll file. When I skip it, TrueSky works with the old dll. Anyway after relaunching the editor or updating it once again it's not working.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  40. thijslinssen

thijslinssen

Hi guys,

I saw some great projects and I also want to make one ;) I tried some stuff in UE4 but find unity a bit more pleasant to work with. I've got a scene with TrueSky (looks great!) and want an ocean in the scene that works good with truesky.

- What ocean/sea works well with Truesky? I saw some ceto posts but that asset isn't in the store anymore.
    - Also, I would like to know if it's possible to setup real-time reflections of the sky on the ocean, and of course a good way of doing this.

At the end I want a 'game' with a truesky as a sky. the sun does not move (I've figured that one out) but the weather is random (needs some more coding) and also with an ocean view (no land). The ocean changes in wave height as the wind picks up goes down. Camera does not move.
    Would love to get some help setting this up ;)
    Thx and keep up making cool stuff!

41. nachosimul

nachosimul

Ok so, first thing. If you try to re import the plugin after having launched a scene that uses it, it won't allow you to replace the DLLs, you need to shutdown the engine and import it.
    Second, some people had problems with windows User Account Control, it may help to reduce the UAC level or disabling it, we are investigating why trueSKY triggers it.

Hi! I'm glad that you like trueSKY. I think that some people are using CETO + Ts (take a look here for some info:https://docs.simul.co/unity/Troubleshooting.html). And yes, you will have the ability to capture trueSKY skies into a cubemap and the use it in your reflections. (you can take a look at the probe in the demo scene).

42. thijslinssen

thijslinssen

Thx Nacho, I think I will be asking you a lot of questions in the next few weeks ;)
    To start, if i open the demo scene there is nothing there... so I dont see the probe :(

Also CETO isnt available anymore :( Any tips for other good oceans that go hand in hand with Ts?

43. nachosimul

nachosimul

@thijslinssen sure np! Do you get any errors opening the scene? (Which TS and Unity versions are you using?). For the water, I think we have a few people here ( @Bartolomeus755 ) working with water systems and ts, maybe we could ask them :)

44. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

@thijslinssen I use trueSKY together with Ultimate Water System to create a ship simulator and I'm quite happy with the result.

45. o_vieira

o_vieira

I have an app using truesky running in 2 machines and I'm having the following problem:
    Machine A(windows 10): truesky shows up as expected
    Machine B(windows 7): truesky not showing up.

Machine B can still run a previous version of the app where truesky shows up (unfortunately, I'm not sure of which version of truesky was used here)

Anyone has a clue of something that might be causing this? Nvidia drivers are the same on both machine btw

46. nachosimul

nachosimul

A few versions ago, we had a problem where we used the Windows 10 SDK, this caused some trouble on Win7 machines, now it should be fixed. Which TS version are you using?

47. o_vieira

o_vieira

Can you point me to a file in the plugin where I can see the version, updating the version was not my decision so I have no idea which version we're using right now (sounds stupid I know..)

48. o_vieira

o_vieira

I'm gonna go with 4.1a.812

49. nachosimul

nachosimul

Unfortunately, the only way to know that is by checking the downloaded file name. I'll recommend using the latest 4.1a version.

50. o_vieira

o_vieira

See the answer above, that's the version we're using.

On the website, there's nothing for unity 2017, should I just download the one for 5.6?