Search Unity

[RELEASED] trueSKY Alpha for Unity Pro - Volumetric Skies, Clouds, and Time-of-Day

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rvkennedy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. BenjaminMcCarthyDev

BenjaminMcCarthyDev

Really, really cool. I bet that's super engaging to play.

Callum, I've done a reinstall of Unity and trueSky on a different computer, and I have it working perfectly there. I believe my issue is due to a weird install on the initial machine, so stop scratching your head if you're still worried about possible bugs.

2. RemexChris

RemexChris

Quick question - Fog seems to use a min radial distance which is quite harsh with visible banding - Is this fog near distance exposed anywhere to tweak? (I know we can tweak visibility and haze/fog however this radius seems to be constant/defined elsewhere? ) I would like bring the fog radius much closer to camera and ideally reduce the banding. Any thoughts/suggestions welcome :)

3. Exbleative

Exbleative

I've seen the same thing happen with rain, especially at that angle. Unsure if we are ever getting right up and close to rain/clouds/fog or if it's some other issue.

4. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

I have the same issue and request. Wondered for quite a while if there was a setting to tweak the falloff and just ended up setting a higher meters/unit scale. But it feels rather hacky.

5. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Unfortunately the error still exists in version 183.

With another skybox or with version 148 it looks "normal".

Marko

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  6. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm checking out the trueSKY trial at the moment - it's looking pretty impressive! A very good chance I'll be sending some money your way in the next few days. ;)

I do have one issue to ask about, though. When I set up trueSKY in my scene using your wizard, it correctly detects that there is only one directional light, but then it adds the SimulSun component to some other light (a point light) instead. If I remove it from there and put it on my directional light instead it doesn't seem to do anything. So I've got awesome looking sky, but no effect on the scene's lighting.

Unity 5.40, not sure of the trueSKY plugin version - I'll check.
    trueSKY 5.4-4.1.183, as best I can tell. That's the latest installer I've downloaded, and I'm not seeing a version number shown in the Editor.

I notice that the SimulSun light object is being rotated, it's just not getting a colour. Looking at the SimulSun script, getSunColour(pos) is always returning zeroes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Alrighty, on my other computer and re-did the integration from the start, and this time it's worked. It still picked the wrong light when setting up, but I manually put it on my sun instead and... success.

I haven't upgraded from Unity 5.40 to 5.42 here, I'll try to remember to pop back and say whether or not that makes a difference. (Pretty sure I had the same results pre-update on my main PC, though.)

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So it's working excellently in my Editor now on both dev machines. Sweet. But builds just have no sky or clouds - it's black.

Is there a step I'm missing? I've made sure it's running in DX11 mode, I don't see anything relevant in the Unity or troubleshooting section of the docs, and I saw no relevant errors in the output log.

This is no longer a trial, by the way.

Edit: Ahh, I haven't set my build to be x86_64, which is probably the issue.
    Edit2: Yep, that was it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    hopeful and Exbleative like this.
  10. Exbleative

Exbleative

OMG I haven't been able to build for ages, can't believe this was the reason. Thanks so much!
    Would this mean the game wouldn't have sky on a non 64bit system?

Have also been having the following issues, unsure if anyone else has encountered these:
    - Black/darkened regions in skybox. I've been getting long lines and geometric black shapes.
    - Occasional (can't replicate regularly) red cast to the fog and sky, as if I've set ambient light to red (it isn't as far as I can see)

Both in 5.4-4.1.18x

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Lighting artefacts or patterns in the skybox seem to occur when there's too much change at once. I definitely see a lot of them if I run at high time multipliers. Maybe also changing the CPU/GPU level sliders could help - I haven't experimented.

With the download I'm using from their website, yes. Noticing that it was listed as 64bit is what made me realise my error.

Exbleative likes this.
  12. Exbleative

Exbleative

That's definitely not my problem as I'm running at a 1 time multi. Will try the sliders and see. I was gonna ask how you knew to try 64bit, wish I'd thought of that! Thanks again.

13. Exbleative

Exbleative

When the red fog bug occurs, the sequence asset doesn't change from what I set it to, however if I pause, then change the sequence asset to anything else, then change back again, the problem resolves. I'm not setting sequences in code or anything like that.

14. jashan

jashan

Are there any news on support for single-pass stereo rendering (SPSR) and PS4 support?

KyleOlsen and hippocoder like this.
  15. Exbleative

Exbleative

I'm trying to debug what's happening with my sky going red on scene changes, so have made a new project to narrow down the problem. Funnily enough, now on scene change, I can't seem to get the sequence to change. I have scene 1 with sequence A and scene 2 with sequence B. When I unload scene 1 and load scene 2, scene 2 is now somehow using sequence A for some reason. Now I'm trying to set the sequence using a script but that isn't working either.

Here's the code:
    simul.trueSKY ts = simul.trueSKY.GetTrueSky();
    ts.sequence.Load("2");

I just have that "2" sequence in my root assets folder. Couldn't find anything about loading them in the documentation either.

Would love to hear from anyone successfully (or not) unloading/loading scenes and sequences!
    Using 5.4.1f1 and trueSKYAlpha-Unity5.3-4.1.199-Win32_x64 (the latest one I believe)

*edit: the 'red bug' I was getting I'm pretty sure was down to using a sky sequence that was old, or used in multiple versions and was potentially broken, I'm not 100% sure. It may have also been related to a Unity reflection probe bug. Fixed now anyway.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Anyone had a go with Unity 5.5 yet?

Edit: Had a quick go and it looks like the reversed depth buffer causes issues, as I get a black sky where clouds only show up "through" objects that are occluding them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Exbleative likes this.
  17. trx

trx

It looks like there is a new version which runs on 5.5 (haven^t tested it yet thoroughly) unfortunately no VR support yet (still the same shifting issue since 5.4)

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Just had a play myself. No thorough testing yet, but the new 5.5 version seems solid on an initial look.

19. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Version 4.1.222 works great (Unity 5.4.3p3), but with all later versions the black skybox is back for me. Tried it also with a clean project without success. Or is there a solution for the black skybox?

Marko

EDIT: Also with the newest version 4.1.230.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    DxStd_IgnatPribylov likes this.
  20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, Unity flipped the depth buffer in 5.5, so you need to use the right version of trueSKY for the version of Unity you're running. On the download page they're listed under what version of Unity they're for. (Maybe the trueSKY team added an option - haven't checked since I haven't needed it.)

DxStd_IgnatPribylov likes this.
  21. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I don't use Unity 5.5. I still use 5.4.3p3 and downloaded the right version from the Simul website. But I can't get working the newest version 230 of trueSky. Version 136 and 122 works good, were the last two versions that worked properly for me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  22. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi, version 231 works fine with Unity 5.5. But I have an issue with the clouds rendering. In version 136 the representation of clouds are very smooth with nice looking soft edges. I can't get back these smooth looking clouds in the new version. I tried to change the Downscale factor and cloud steps without success.

Clouds with trueSky version 136.

Clouds with version 231.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  23. iddqd

iddqd

Is simul still active on this thread/forum?

24. hopeful

hopeful

The forums occasionally drop notifications to the thread owners, so they may be unaware of recent posts. You might try either PMing @callum_simul or - better yet - sending an email to their support address / website.

iddqd likes this.
  25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This is what I've been doing, and I've been getting solid and prompt responses.

hopeful likes this.
  26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

To me this looks like the clouds you're seeing are the ones sampled to the skybox rather than the 3D rendered ones. I was fixing this for someone just yesterday, and the issue was a DLL not being updated in version control since they're ignored by default. Re-importing the Unity package for trueSKY fixed it (and clearly the DLLs in the VCS need updating too).

27. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thank you for the hint angrypenguin. I tried to re-import trueSky. But how to make sure, that the VCS files are also updated?

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

"VCS" = "version control system". In our case the issue was that I'd done an update but not pushed the new DLLs into our repository, because DLLs are ignored by default. Explicitly pushing them is going to depend on what version control system you're using.

29. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I have checked the files, all files are up to date.

30. jashan

jashan

Obviously not at the moment. I did send them a reminder to check the forum via email, including a link.

But as hopeful and angrypenguin suggested, using email to communicate with them works really well. I usually get an answer within 24 hours, often much quicker.

So now I know that Single-Pass Stereo Rendering is finally working. I haven't tested it, yet, but am hopeful :)

31. jashan

jashan

Can anyone else still download the packages from the site? I'm getting a redirect that does not redirect and tried several download links - none of the worked. I was able to download the packages before (have an account and my invoice number submitted), last time I did that was mid November.

32. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Unfortunately no, download links are gone.

EDIT: Download links are back.. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  33. jashan

jashan

Is anyone using the current version with Unity 5.4.3p3? So I downloaded trueSKYAlpha-Unity5.4-4.1.233-Win32_x64.unitypackage and imported it to my project. The result being that I'm getting several error messages in the console:

"Thread::CurrentThreadIsMainThread()"

Those were not there before I upgraded trueSky and they also appear in a completely new project where I only import trueSky.

What's worse: The demo scene only has empty-name, disabled objects. Not sure what went wrong there but it seems to me that this version is completely broken.

I also tried 232 and 231. Same thing. Still had 199 on my harddisk - that one still has a functional "demo"-scene.

The 233-version for Unity 5.5 seems to not have this issue. But I cannot upgrade my project to Unity 5.5, yet. Also, while at least finally, Single-Pass Stereo Rendering seems to be working in 5.5 (it did not work in 5.4.3 even after the upgrade to 233), the clouds look pretty terrible in VR (left/right eye get more or less unrelated images with strange distortions).

This is using OpenVR, I don't have an Oculus Rift attached to this computer so I don't know if that would be any better.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with trueSky.

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Unless Simul built something in to detect what version of Unity you're running and flip depth calcs accordingly I don't think this will work. As far as I understand:
    I've no idea about anything VR related, though.

I slightly agree on the frustration front. This is way better than plenty of things I've worked with, and considering what we're getting for the price I'm certainly not going to raise a fuss, but some improved documentation wouldn't go astray. The package itself seems reasonably solid and functional, but a couple of times I've had to figure things out for myself that I think should have been covered in the manual, FAQ, or load and clear error messages.

John-G likes this.
  35. jashan

jashan

They have versions to download specifically for 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5. It seems like the version for 5.4 has issues, so I'm not sure what exactly is specific for 5.4 there. The issue with the demo scene I encountered at least might be a scene opened and saved in Unity 5.5, which might cause this kind of thing when opened in 5.4. But then, they probably shouldn't offer a download for 5.4.

36. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

With the latest version, the smooth clouds are back for me. And the lighting of the scene looks really nice. Great work so far.

The only problem I still have, is that the precipitation does not work.

Attached Files:

RemexChris and John-G like this.
  37. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

UPDATE
    It turns out that I needed to set the wind speed in the Sequencer to something greater than 0. I was only changing the speed on the Prefab that was generated on my hierarchy. That worked in earlier versions.

I downloaded TrueSky 5.5.4.1 and imported it into Unity 5.5.0f3. I set up a scene, ran the Initialize TrueSKY, selected the Demo_sq, and played my scene. It shows clouds, but they don't move. I increased the speed to 50, and still nothing. I added my user name and invoice number within the Sky Sequencer, and it says "ok".

Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  38. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Does that sequence have wind? And are the clouds close enough for you to notice the effects of the wind from moment to moment?

In my game I want unrealistically dramatic cloud motion. For that I've got my clouds low and fairly dense with significant wind, and run trueSKY in accelerated time at 50x or 75x (though this is also because I want a shortened day/night cycle).

39. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I believe this was to me... I updated my post above. Thanks though.

40. shwa

shwa

Is this now compatible with OSX? If not, any eta? thanks.

41. iddqd

iddqd

Is anybody using truesky with VR? Does it require some special defines?

42. Konst

Konst

@callum_simul
    Unity 5.5.1 p4 , TrueSky 4.1.259 (22 Feb) , Oculus Rift CV1, demo scene, TrueSkyCamera.cs VR Headset = 1;
    Have strange behavior, every object in scene (even a terrain) become some sort of transparency and a black shadow offset: To replicate the issue move objects in the editor. 1.jpg

Sxalpha likes this.
  43. iddqd

iddqd

Better send them an email.

Konst likes this.
  44. Konst

Konst

45. Lex4art

Lex4art

Btw, I humbly & polite requesting update of TrySky for Unity features video - that one on Asset store page is almost 2.5 years old and not so eye-catching ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  46. RemexChris

RemexChris

Konst are you using single pass? multi pass isn't supported

47. Konst

Konst

@RemexChris , Thanks! Single Pass fixed the issue!

RemexChris likes this.
  48. Lex4art

Lex4art

orbobservation likes this.
  49. hopeful

hopeful

What is the status on it right now? Does it work?

50. nomax5

nomax5

Do we get our money back?

You can't just take peoples money then advise them to find an alternative, thats called robbery