Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Tropical Forest Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baldinoboy, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

So the LWRP, URP and HDRP packages are setup and now just doing some testing. Still if anyone wants to get early access and also help test them let me know. Hopefully can clear everything this week and start uploading.

Nothing new prefab wise in the update unfortunately. The SRP support took up all the time I could spend on it. Hopefully that support will help out some people though who have been wanting or needing to jump to a render pipeline.

SickaGamer and Hawk0077 like this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

I toyed around with the beta today and it is awesome. However, the terrain was too small for me and I used Vegetation Studio Pro for planting the vegetation. There were a few things to notice, so I wrote it up in case anyone else needs it.

Open e. g. the PromotionTerrain demo
    Add Vegetation Studio Pro
    Add the Tropical Forest Pack Biomes, e. g. like this:

i1.png

Then select the default Biome and apply the textures to the terrain. Then hit the "Generate biome splatmaps" button.

A problem is that the shader doesn't support Instanced Indirect, so you'd have to change the render mode of all vegetation items of the biomes to Instanced. One solution might be to change each vegetation item manually. But I couldn't be bothered, so I quickly wrote a batch function because maybe others might have use for it as well, so it paid off to put a little work into it. To use click "Add Batch Functions" and use the render mode change and prefab refresh function for all the biomes.

That's basically it. This is what you should get then:

tfp 15.jpg
    tfp 16.jpg
    tfp 17.jpg
    If you have questions, just ask.

3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @Rowlan, Thanks for the help testing with info and screenshots!

Just to note to everyone else, this is in HDRP. Partial support is setup and just need to do some minor cleanup and setup for final upload now. Also instanced indirect is not working in HDRP at the moment. Still need to test but instanced indirect should be fine in standard unity still.

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

You're welcome and thanks a lot @Baldinoboy for letting me participate in your beta, your asset is really great. I couldn't stop toying around and remembered that I bought some snakes during the last sale on the asset store. So I had to try an integration :D

snake 1.jpg
    snake 2.jpg
    snake 3.jpg
    snake 4.jpg

I should add birds and what not.

ElevenGame and Baldinoboy like this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

HDRP Instanced Indirect with custom generated VS Pro Biome:

ftejada, hopeful and Baldinoboy like this.
  6. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Nice! That is a dense scene.

So the SRPs seem to be working well and have everything setup for upload. Will get them up this weekend.

Rowlan likes this.
  7. Migueljb

Migueljb

Looking forward to trying out the pack as well when its uploaded to the store. If only we can get can some good HDRP ocean beach water and tie this all together.

Rowlan and Baldinoboy like this.
  8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi all, Tropical Forest Pack 1.3.1 with SRP support is up!

Few notes:

-Water & some particle shaders are not updated for SRPs yet. So in the LWRP, URP & HDRP demo I hid the waterfall and particles in the Forgotten Ravine Demo. When I have time in the future I will work on new shaders with Amplify to work with the render pipelines.

-While support is added, and it is working on my end and for testers, SRP support with shaders like these is quite fragile. So things might break and it will take time to fix. Feel like SRP support is always going to be in "Early Access" because of the nature of the multi renderer support.

-Folder setup has changed from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1. Not an improvement for usability but just needed to do for development with SRPs. Importing the package should be fine and it will just replace the things in their original place. If there is an issue though it must likely will need deleting of the TFP folder and reimporting the 1.3.1 package.

Thanks to @larsbertram1 for the awesome work on the shaders and their SRP compatibility! A few that helped with SRP testing and especially @Rowlan for some help and awesome videos!

Let me know how it works for you all and if you come across any issues with the update.

ftejada and Hawk0077 like this.
  9. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I updated about an hour ago and everything looks fine but I have a pink terrain so its hard to tell. Waiting to buy CTS on pay day. lol. But as mentioned the trees look fine. Maybe issue with the plants but I wont know until I get CTS as well as enviro updated.

10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @Hawk0077, Could you send a screenshot of the issue? Is it the terrain just missing its HDRP material? If so should be an easy temp fix till you get CTS.

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Might be that the terrain Material needs to be set to the HDRP Terrain Material in the terrain settings. You don't need CTS for this.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  12. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Roland, but Im already setup with CTS and so cant find any HDRP settings in the terrain settings etc.

13. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sounds good and let me know when you get that setup and if there is an issue with anything else.

Also Rowlan was meaning the material in the terrain setting. If it is an import issue for some reason it could be the terrain material is set to Built in. In this case you would want to change to Custom(or whatever the input option is) and input the included Terrain_HDRP material.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  14. norby

norby

Hi Rowlan
    I am always impressed with your work, Do you have a list with tools you are using?

Thanks

Norby

Rowlan likes this.
  15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you! But keep in mind that I'm using only assets of the publishers, so all credits to the publishers. The assets I use are all in the description of the videos. If you have questions, just ask :)

16. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, I have now converted my projhect to HDRP and got most of it rendering, although there are a few issues.

Regarding TFP I have the following issues:

1: The Papaya Trees in the image has no top/leaves.

tree2.jpg

Here you can see that the shader is not working. But I cant find a suitable shader. The Shader Graphs option isnt in the drop down menu to select it as I presume the because the Bark uses one of those shaders that the leaves do too. But like I said, I cant find the shader.

Tree.jpg

Also, is there a way to get the billboards working as they just dont work with VS

Thanks

17. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @Hawk0077,

Thinking this is an issue because of the folder change. Was hoping it was not required but did you import the update into a project that TFP was already in?

If so would you be able to delete the TFP folder and re-import the latest version? Then can unpack the _HDRP package and see if that does it.

Always recommend backing up a project before doing a change like this though.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  18. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Badinoboy, I did import the update into the current folder. I will inform you later today when I perform this. Thanks.

19. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Ah, doing that breaks VSPro so not able to re-add the biomes.

20. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Strange. How does it break the biomes? Is it just missing assets and could you add them back in the VS instanced setting? Know that is annoying but it should add them back in and have it working.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  21. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

It breaks VSPro so not able to re-add/remove the biomes. To get it working again. See image:
    BIOME.jpg

In the image I a know I am using the old folder structure but thats because I keep adding one and removing it then adding the latest and removing that. Basically trying to kick it into gear so I can:

Either remove the TFP biomes and then start again, but that doesnt let me now as it seems even when I remove TFP VegStudio is still broken.

I may have to open an old project and bring the VSPro Prefab into this project because I saved the TFP Folder not the whole project. That was a mistake as I believe VSPro is now broke because I saved the scene whilst in the current state when I had the NEW Folder structure version within the project.

The only way I can now see is to bring the prefab from an older project. To get it working so I can remove the TFP items before updating to the new folder structure. So there wont be TFP related VSPro errors.

22. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is crazy! Why would VS Pro break for changing a folder?

Sorry about this. Would try importing VS Pro from the asset store to possible replace any corrupted scripts and see if that does anything.

When it comes to Biomes there are some setup in that VSBiomes package that you can use once this is fixed. In case it erased the other biomes you already setup.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Also have you tried deleting the VS Pro gameobject and making a new one? Would copy the scene and do this on the copy to test first.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  24. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Yeah, I thought it a bit crazy too... No need to apologize. I understand your learning this stuff anyway, but this is not your fault. Its mine if im honest. doah. Il sort it, its just a matter of what I have to do and redo to get it sorted.

25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Let me know how it goes. Hopefully it is an easy fix

Hawk0077 likes this.
  26. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Sorted it. I just Extracted then opened a backup project anddragged VSPo into a prefab folder. Copied the prefab to the new project and imported TFP, then added the biomes I needed. They look awesome. Cant wait for VSPro to become fully compatible. The trees deserve to be visibly rendered at an distance.

Many thanks for the assist.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  27. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesome! Glad you got it working. Again such a weird issue.

Yeah looking forward to VS Pro HDRP update. Going to be some cool scenes to make when that is out.

Cheers!

Hawk0077 likes this.
  28. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @Baldinoboy A question
    TFP shaders are compatible with GPU Instancer ??
    I want to make two scenes the same but in a VS Pro and another GPU Instancer to see which one is best for the project

Cheers

Baldinoboy likes this.
  29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @ftejada,

Good question! I contacted the GPUI dev about CTI compatibility when it was still pretty new. Do not think there is any compatibility at the moment. Just sent an email asking about it though and too see if we can get them working together. Will message here if I hear anything.

ftejada likes this.
  30. ftejada

ftejada

31. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

ftejada likes this.
  32. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi all, Just checking in to see how the pack is working in HDRP, URP for anyone who has used it in them.

@ftejada, Just a quick update on GPUI. Contacted the devs about compatibility and last thing I heard was they were going to take a look at the shaders.

ftejada likes this.
  33. ftejada

ftejada

@Baldinoboy Thank for reply!!
    Your Shaders? .... Ok I will ask today in the GPU Instancer forum.

On the other hand, to tell you that last night I downloaded TFP for HDRP and in principle it seems to work well, but today I'm going to try some crazy tests to see how it turns out.
    There is a small detail and that is that some of your plants seem to be overly affected by the effect of post-processing motion blur or a specific type of Antialising, making their movements cloudy, especially with those that have thin leaves.
    I'm going to test more these days but I have other thin leaf assets in the same project and it seems to affect them less than your Shaders ... but I'm not sure yet.

I will review it well and upload videos if so.

A test photo from last night, although not all the vegetation in this photo is from TFP:
    IslaTest_2.jpg

Rowlan and Baldinoboy like this.
  34. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Was just letting you know they are taking a look at the CTI shaders for compatibility. Do not have to message them on it as it might take some time for them to get to it.

Yeah let me know how your testing turns out and send a video of an example if you see the issue badly. Saw this before but thought it was resolved.

35. ftejada

ftejada

36. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @ftejada,

Oh okay. Will ask the shader dev on this. Did it still work or was it a critical error that flooded the console?

Thanks for the info! I am not the shader developer but will share this info with him. The shaders are from the Custom Tree Importer by @larsbertram1

The GPUI dev message me today with good news and a lot of info. Out of the box TFP(with CTI shaders) works well in GPUI. Just need some minor tweaks like Shadow with Original Shader option enabled and also will need the GPUI generated billboards since the CTI ones will not work.

TFP with GPUI in SRP support is not complete at the moment with some minor edits needed. Also would need a billboard system like Amplify Imposters needed to make billboards working in HDRP. Not something I could include on my end.

37. ftejada

ftejada

It works but the error does not stop ...
    The problem I think will come if I try to do a Built ... although I'm not sure either.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  38. ftejada

ftejada

Ok...

39. Akshara

Akshara

@ftejada Kronnect's Shader Control asset can help with the shader keyword issue, by disabling unused shaders and keywords, like those for other SRPs and unnecessary shader variants.

Baldinoboy and ftejada like this.
  40. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

41. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

I have problem with rendeing billboard version of trees into rendering texture. The rendering camera is set to clear to solid color (RGBA = 0x00000000), and after rendering billboard version of tree alpha value on rendered texture remains zero, so, nothing is visible (see first image). RGB values are, however, correct. The 3D version of trees are rendered correctly - RGB correct and alpha is white, (see second image, and in the scene the rendered texture is applyed to billboard mesh). We have many objects and trees, and the only problem caused by billboard versions of tropical trees. Is it possible to fix this somehow?

PalmBillboardRenderTexture.jpg Palm3DRenderTexture.jpg

42. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @Ishizuke,

What are you using the billboards with? Is this in VS, GPUI or Amplify?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  43. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

I use it with modified Real Imposter, now obsolete imposter system, was available in Asset Store some time ago. It's custom imposter creation at runtime. It uses RenderTexture and ordinary camera to create imposter. I only encounter this transparency problem with billboards from tropical pack, tree billboards from other packs and even 3D meshes from tropical pack work correctly. So, I think it's somehting in custom tropical billboard shader in combination with RenderTexture.

44. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Oh okay. Not used Real Imposter so not sure the cause of the incompatibility with CTI billboards. The thread for the custom tree importer that the shaders are from is here-

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-custom-tree-importer.263224/

Could you generate the imposters from the mesh instead if it works or do you need it from the billboards?

45. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

For now I am doing exactly this - generating imposter from 3D mesh, but it's a temporary solution - imposters re created in realtime, so lowest LOD is preferred.

46. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Oh okay. Yeah not sure about how the imposter system can work better with the CTI billboards. Is there anything about SpeedTree billboards with Real Imposter? Any support or edited code to work with them? Believe CTI billboards are similar but might be wrong.

47. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just installed the latest version of Tropical Forest Pack for HDRP. I noticed something is off. Maybe others run into this as well, so here's some info:

* the biome height rules start at 0, so if you have a flat test case terrain either move the terrain up a bit, add hills or change the height rule of the vegetation items

* when you use the Vegetation Studio Pro Biomes hardly anything gets rendered at first. You have to refresh the prefabs to fix that. I wrote a batch function in my vsp extensions with which you can set all biomes to instanced indirect and refresh the prefabs during my beta evaluation. So feel free to use that as well as time saver.

* Ambient Mode of Visual Environment must be set to Dynamic or otherwise you'll have grey plants in shadows instead of green ones.

This is the difference between

static

before.jpg

and dynamic

after.jpg

* the Foliage diffusion profile must be set in the HDRenderPipelineAsset

setting.png

without

diffprof.jpg

with

diff prof 2.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Baldinoboy and hopeful like this.
  48. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks @Rowlan! Something you think I could fix on the packaging side of things or something needing to be done in use? Did set the HDRP mode to Dynamic but not sure if this will load properly when unpacked.

49. Rowlan

Rowlan

I actually don't know about the prefabs. I'll ask Lennart on the VSP discord.

But I suggest extending the documentation with a note about Dynamic Ambient Mode, it makes quite the difference.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  50. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sounds good. Will try putting a video together for TFP and VS Pro setup in the next week. Also will add a note somewhere for setting the ambient mode to Dynamic.

ftejada likes this.
unityunity