Search Unity

[RELEASED] Trivia Quiz Game Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Artomiano

Artomiano

Like wheretheidivides wrote. ;)
    I think it's not interesting enough to put only "question style" tasks in the game. So I would mix different game types. This improves the overall gaming experience.

I would like:

# creating different categories of "task types", such as "True or False", "Multiple Choise", "Image Questions", "Math Questions" and so on
    # multiplayer (like it is)
    # image questions (like is is)
    # sound questions (like image questions)
    # puzzle game type (with touch and/or mouse control)
    # the new scrambled word game type
    # math questions (the player have to put in the right calculation result)
    # let the player put in his name - at the beginning of the game or with an account (for later highscore listing)
    ### for the players name: maybe it could useful to get some type of "account" - combined with the highscore - so a player could save his name and nobody else can use it several times. but I don't want "must have" connections to facebook and twitter. It would be a nice option, but it should not must have.
    # web connection for self hosted highscore/account (php/mysql)
    # optional: connection/account using with facebook and twitter

All game types I want to mix in one game. And so I want summarize the points of each sub game for the final score. And this score the player can upload to my webserver (with the name he put in).

More ideas I can imagine... every time... ;)

2. puppeteer

puppeteer

Each highscore is recored in a local PlayerPrefs value for the scene, so that could be a starting point.

Reviewing new assets usually take up to 10 days, so it shouldn't be much longer ( if it gets accepted ). Updates after a release take much less time ( about 3 days to accept ).

That would be the dream, but I'm taking it one step at a time. There are many features still being added, and now with the puzzle games series it should be alot on my plate. But a highscore system would be nice.

3. UnitySora

UnitySora

Hi, I would suggest to release a trivia quiz pro version that's combined with matching game, scrambled word template, and any word education genre mini games in the future. People who purchased trivia quiz before can upgrade the template with lesser cost.

4. puppeteer

puppeteer

Trivia Quiz has always focused on trivia questions with text, images, sounds, videos, and very recently with the upcoming update will also include math. The package has been growing constantly in the last year with more and more game modes and features, but essentially kept the trivia element at its core.

With the new series of templates I'm trying to target the puzzle genre, which consists of small games that are different from each other gameplay-wise such as the Matching Game template (It's online now btw:
    http://u3d.as/y2s).

I thought about creating a pack for the puzzle games, but I want to release a good bunch of them first priced low and then group them together for an upgraded puzzle pack, maybe 4-5 games together.

BTW, they all work well together so you can basically import the matching game into your trivia project and use levels from there.

5. puppeteer

puppeteer

Back to Trivia Quiz business, the next update ( Time & Math ) is ready and submitted, it should take a few days to be accepted. Here's what you'll find in the new update:

1.65 (10.08.2016)

Game Modes:
    - Added game mode example for a math quiz with simple arithmetic questions.

Improvements:
    - You can set a global time value, which will override any time set locally per question. The global timer does not reset between questions like the local timer.
    - Option to lose timer when answering incorrectly. This fits well with the global timer feature.
    - Option to add bonus time when answering correctly, which runs only if we use the global timer.
    - You can attach a specialized Math Quiz component which will fill up any quiz with math related questions.
    - Removed button definition for ShowLargerImage() function, it is now auto assigned in the code.
    - Continue button is now automatically assigned to the question box when showing a followup text, so there is no need to add a continue button manually.

Fixes:
    - Error when trying to use video in WebGL (Video is not supported in WebGL).
    - When you set the address in a Dynamic XML component, the changes are not saved sometimes.

6. puppeteer

puppeteer

This alone merits a new look on the way score and time are being kept in TQG, maybe even have a separate time component to allow for more options and flexibility...

7. saguiitay

saguiitay

Just purchased your template - l love the work you've done.

Feature requests:
    • Integrated Ads support
    • Highscores (at least locally)
    • Facebook login
    Suggestions:
    • Load questions from JSON (in addition to XML)

On a more general note, when you release new versions, how do I update my game? do I have to make all the changes again on the new template?

puppeteer likes this.
  8. puppeteer

puppeteer

I don't think you would be limited by the number of hints. It can be like how the answer array is field, it can be expanded based on the hints you want to display, and there can be questions with 3 hints or 4 hints in the same game. The calculation can be done automatically. I'm not sure if this should be a game on its own, or it can be added to the trivia package as it's kind of in the same "area" ( text or image questions ).

9. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks, glad you like it!

- UnityAds is working really well in my templates, so check out the documentation or take a look here to see how I integrate it:

- Other user sasked the same thing so they could integrate trivia with my other puzzle templates. Local highscore will definitely be added, and I'm looking at some of the highscore systems on the store to maybe do an integration tutorial.

- In general I'm not good with all the social features that go around a game ( twitter, facebook, etc ) and there are some great solutions on the store already, but I'll see if I can make a simple tutorial for one of them too.

- The funny thing about this package was it's the first time I used XML with my template. I've never done XML before and had to learn it as I go, but it was thanks to many requests by users and participation to push me on ( thank you if you are reading this :D ), in the end it worked well and is now an integral part of the package. JSON sounds like another good suggestion so I'll definitely explore it.

10. saguiitay

saguiitay

Regarding the Ads, I think it would make much more sense to show ads before/after a game starts, and also perhaps granting another live to the player if he watches an Ad...
    That's actually quite simple to implement...

Regarding JSON, I think that it would be a nice addition, since JSON is much lighter and faster (and much more common these days). It's just a nice-to-have...

Regarding social, I really think that this is a must if we are to get some tractions to our games. What I would like to be able to do is have players "challenge" other players - share their score over Facebook, with a link to a download page of the game. That way one player can help you get more active players...
    Perhaps using the official Facebook asset (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10989) might be "simple" enough...

I'd be happy to contribute some code, if there were some code base, or some way to submit code...

11. Artomiano

Artomiano

I know, it's the next feature request, but... what do you think about achievements? A couple of days ago we spoke about an account system (players name and highscore feature for uploading on webserver). Could you imagine to extend this system in the following ways?

#1 access the mobile cam to take a players photo or get a picture from the mobile photo library - and take this picture/photo as players icon (instead of or with players name) - for the game itself and highscore entries
    #2 make achievements, such as "1st question", "100 questions", "10 question in less than 1 minutes" and so on (this should be an open system for own achievements) - these achievements should also be displayed on the highscore entries

:rolleyes: With an achievement system, I could make contests, and push the "passion for collecting" or create a nice player competition.

puppeteer likes this.
  12. puppeteer

puppeteer

@tom-art: One update at a time, one update at a time :)

Speaking of which, update 1.65 is now live on the store. I've had a question regarding assets overwriting each other when updating to a new version.

First off, make sure to copy over your project before updating so you don't lose your work. And if you're not sure about anything, just export the questions from your game in XML files, so you'll be able to retrieve them easily.

Next, if you have made changes to the example scenes provided with the package, and you still want to keep them after importing a new update, the best course of action is to duplicate the scenes you want to keep. This way Unity will think they are new scenes and not overwrite them. Another option is to take a look at the list of assets when importing and tick-off the ones you don't want to be changed.

13. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's some great advice.

I actually noticed some of the my earlier templates, when upgraded to unity 5, would overwrite each other since many of the assets were shared or modified without duplicating the original assets. Unity "remembers" which file is which using the *.meta files, which causes this behavior.

14. puppeteer

puppeteer

I think I'm starting to zero-in on what the next update should be. The main thing will be to try and make a working lock/unlock system for categories, so you'll be able to unlock them using maybe game tokens or, better yet, by buying them through Unity's IAP service.

I'm going to do a few tests and see how easy ( and non-destructive ) it is, and then move on from that point.

15. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hm... sounds interesting. ;)

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

17. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hm... basically it's like the normal question & answer system, only with six answers. I hoped you make an input form field where the player can put in the right number. With the actual system, the player only have to guess what's the right answer. :rolleyes:

puppeteer likes this.
  18. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yeah, the way I imagined it initially was that it would be a whole separate math game with its own presentation ( sort of like how the puzzle games are their own thing, even though they can be combined with trivia game ), but then reality hit, it turns out programming arithmetic calculations with multiple operations/operands and having missing elements other than the result, is more complicated than I thought.

About the answer count, you can actually change it for all the quizzes, you're not limited to 4 or 6 answers. I just thought it would be better to have more result options to choose from.

Having a field where you enter the answer freely is a good idea, and not too tough to make, so I'm going to steal that idea for an update :)

19. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hop over to the puzzles thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-puzzle-game-templates.425362/

I think you'll be positively surprised :D

20. puppeteer

puppeteer

I'm making progress in the new update, which focuses on improving the category grid, adding lock/unlock feature for categories and ( hopefully ) making a working IAP feature.

Here's what's been done so far:

The way it works now is that you have a list of categories and you must finish one in order to unlock the one after it. There is also a number of categories which will be unlocked from the start. This way you can have for example 3 starting categories which you can play, then if you finish the 3rd category you unlock the 4th category and play it. Win the 4th category to play the 5th, and so on.

TQGNewCategoryGrid.png

The other type of category unlocking I'm trying to make ( for In App Purchasing ) will be different. You will win coins based on the highscore you get in a category and use those coins to unlock categories. If you don't have enough coins you'll be able to buy coins with real money. If that doesn't work out maybe I'll just make it so that some premium categories can only be purchased with real money.

Artomiano likes this.
  21. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi pupp,

Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Sounds good. But - please - integrate both options! I think this flexibility is very important for us developers!

Cheers,
    Tom

22. UnitySora

UnitySora

The idea of unlocking levels/categories sounds good. For IAP unlock, there should be a choice of unlock only one category, or unlock all, with different price tag. When will it be updated in the store?

23. mediahanoi

mediahanoi

Hi bro, can i disable some quiz (e.g sound quiz...) ? Do you have a tutorial video ?

24. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yes, the levels in the package are examples of what you can have in the game. You don't need to include them all, just delete the button in the menu that links to the level you don't want.

Since the levels in the package are just examples, the best way to work is to duplicate the level types you want ( Ctrl+D ), and then in the main menu to set the correct names of the levels in the menu buttons.

25. muniraj_143

muniraj_143

Does the latest version 1.65 support video question on mobile devices(ios and android)

26. puppeteer

puppeteer

27. karmik

karmik

Hi @puppeteer
    Was testing my game and notieced that the image answers are not showing up in category grid sceen but showingup in the example you created specifically for image answers. I am not sure the reason why
    The image for question is whowingup but the answers are blank without the image.

I loaded the questions then removed text from answer and added image later.

Also my quiz has some questions with text answers and then after some 6/7 questions, the questions with image answers start. When i get to those questions the images for answers are blank.

I remember i made the image that showsup beside category name transparent. Would this have any impact.

puppeteer likes this.
  28. puppeteer

puppeteer

If the images simply appear blank without any error, then it's probably because the image object is missing. Take a look at video below to see how I copied the answer objects from the image-answers quiz to the category-grid quiz, and then assigned them in the gamecontroller:

Try it out and tell me if it worked for you.

karmik likes this.
  29. karmik

karmik

I have done that. the images are displayed correctly but not highlighted when selected. And the screen is not moving forward.

And when i start the quiz from a question without image answer, i am getting the below error. The answer is hhighlited but notthing happens when i click an answer.:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    TriviaQuizGame.TQGGameController+<AskQuestion>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at Assets/TQGAssets/CS_Assets/CS_Scripts/TQGGameController.cs:756)

30. puppeteer

puppeteer

If you followed the video and it still didn't work then there could be a different reason. I sent you a mail to check further.

31. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppeteer,

after a few weeks, now I'm back at game dev. In august and september we spoke about different features for the next update(s). How did you go? When do you think, can we expect the next "marvelous" update? ;)

puppeteer likes this.
  32. puppeteer

puppeteer

They are definitely on the table, though I pushed through a few games, most recently a couple of games in preparation for Halloween. Now I'm in the clear and ready to get some more updates. I had a few email conversations with teachers recently about better result sharing capabilities.

But first of course, the categories. It's been too long!

33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@puppeteer

Do more people use your product on mobile devices or standalone systems (e.g. Windows desktop PC)?

For standalone systems (Windows desktop PC) it would be nice to have support for a sqlite database to handle all of the questions or using it for storing the XML question file that you already have created. Something along the lines of using something like simpleSQL ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3845 ) which uses sqlite database. That could also be used for storing results in the sqlite database too. That is fairly easy database to move from machine at least on the desktop platform.

NOTE: http://www.sqlite.org/ is the website has more information on the capabilities. It is probably one of the better tested databases that are in the public domain (including source code) and used by many large companies and products. http://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    puppeteer likes this.
  34. Realidade

Realidade

puppeteer likes this.
  35. puppeteer

puppeteer

Most of the implementations I saw were on android, but there are many questions coming from teachers who have their quizzes on a website or locally on the computer in the classroom. A dedicated database for standalone builds would be great, or at least a video tutorial to show how to use TQG with a database to store info about users and quizzes.

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

37. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

A tutorial how one could approach integrating a local database would be nice.

38. karmik

karmik

@puppeteer just wanted to check if there is any way of having expressions like square of a number/ root of a number in the question or answer..

Using image answers to overcome this right now which is time consuming

puppeteer likes this.
  39. karmik

karmik

Planing to publish my game end of next month. Fingers crossed. Will keep you updated

puppeteer likes this.
  40. puppeteer

puppeteer

I will try to add sq and root to the list of operations and get back to you. When I first made the math component I was only able to have + - / * in the operations, but I'll try.

41. karmik

karmik

Hi @puppeteer was thinking it would be nice to have a function to allow users to suggest/submit a question to quiz or create his own local quiz dynamically. May be just a text based one.

I know its a lot to ask, but it would be a really great selling point.

It would be more engaging and more chance of having returning/ active users. Which is a really hard thing to achive for a game.

Or perhaps a seperate asset to create own quiz from frontend which we can integrate in to this package easily

Also i sent you an email with my problem and a sample category to replicate. Need your help on tht :)

42. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppy,

okay... let's talk about the "table". ;)

What can we expect? And when? I currently planning some of the needed questions for my quiz game. My technical question now is: What should I planning for? Which of the features, we talked about, can we expect in the first and second next update?

This is not a sort of bustle. I only have to make a choise which features I can integrate.

For me, the most important features are the highscore feature (with mysql-support on my webserver), the naming system for usernames, the category unlock system (as IAP and unlock per play). Some of the other features are also important, but not sooo important.

So what's up? ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    puppeteer likes this.
  43. puppeteer

puppeteer

:D

The unlockable categories will definitely be the first in line, and I expect to submit them within a couple of days, but after that I want to try to improve the mail sharing feature which was requested by many teachers on PC.

the database is the most difficult for me to tackle but I will give a better answer once I'm done with the categories and started with the mails.

44. ToothlessGrin

ToothlessGrin

Is it possible to have an image and audio assigned to the same question?

puppeteer likes this.
  45. puppeteer

puppeteer

I just made a minor change in the code ( removed "else" ), and added a dedicated button to play the sound of the question. This is the result:

If you already have the package, contact me and I can send you the changes.

46. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.73 (16.10.2016) has been submitted to the store:

Game Modes:
    - Updated the Sound Questions game mode to also allow sound answers, as well as image and sound displayed at the same time. There is now a button you must press to play the sound of the question/answer.

Improvements:
    - The category grid now has unlockable categories. In order to unlock a category you must complete (win) the previous one. You can also set an initial number of categories that will be unlocked from the start.
    - Category colors appear on the tabs in the category grid, just like how they appear on the category wheel.
    - Improved the Dynamic Grid component, so now you can also change the number of rows/columns based on whether we have the device on vertical or horizontal mode.
    - You can scroll through the grid of categories if there are more tabs than the available space.
    - Allow sound and image questions at the same time, and also allow them on answers.

Fixes:
    - Fixed formatting errors with the XML Load/Save script.
    - Fixed a case where the question image will not appear if there is a question sound.

I had to overlook he IAP portion in order to push this update. I will make a video tutorial showing how to add IAP to Unity 5.2+ and if there are needed scripts to make work I will put them up on my website for download, similar to how UnityAds integration is in this package.

Artomiano likes this.
  47. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppy,
    sounds good. I am looking forward to further development... ;)

48. Realidade

Realidade

Nice!!!

49. Realidade

Realidade

Hello!

There is the possibility to enter questions externally? Type online?

puppeteer likes this.
  50. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yes, instead of writing the questions inside unity or importing them from XML, you can target a location on your computer or online and the game will load the questions from it when playing. You can then change the XML online and the questions will be updated in the game without building it again in Unity.

You can find an example of Online XML in the scene CS_GameOnlineXML:

TQGOnlineXML.png