Search Unity

[RELEASED] Trivia Quiz Game Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Anto187

Anto187

hai puppeter, my workflow on this framework was using xml, but everytime i loaded it, it always show "(XML)" Text, how i can remove that xml text permanently?

puppeteer likes this.
  2. puppeteer

puppeteer

Could be that this is the actual question text with the word "(XML)" written in it like this?

upload_2019-11-30_22-31-40.png

If that is the case, you can just remove that text from the XML file.

3. NiallT

NiallT

The demo link won't download -- Google Drive throws an error.

puppeteer likes this.
  4. puppeteer

puppeteer

5. brodskipod

brodskipod

Hi! Quick prebuy questions from a beginner coder:
    1) is there an out-of-the-box feature that saves all question answered so they can be displayed on the separate scene/screen? If not, how customizable is the template, is it possible to implement such a feature?
    2) is there a hint system?
    3) is it possible to make "introductory page" with the info of a specific level?
    Thanks a lot!

puppeteer likes this.
  6. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi,

1) There isn't something like this in the template, right now you can only get a statistic of number of correct/wrong answers, time taken, etc.

From what I understand what you need is the ability to review the quiz with a list showing a question, your answer to the question, and the correct answer. Doing this will need some coding to keep track of the questions, and a UI setup to display them in a readable way. It's a bit off my scope for this version, but I'll consider it for 2.0 since apps like Duolingo have something similar and it's very useful.

2) No, but it seems like a simple enough thing to do. The way I see it, you can have a Hint field that can take a text value and display it if the player didn't answer for X time.

3) Yes, in the GameController you can set a Start Canvas which is a separate UI screen that appears before the game starts. There are several examples of that in the package, such as the Category Selector:

upload_2019-12-8_9-3-29.png

brodskipod likes this.
  7. brodskipod

brodskipod

Yup, I was thinking exactly of that! Thank you for your quick answer. I'll buy the asset. Looking forward for the following updates, fingers crossed review system will be considered! :)

8. egem2015

egem2015

Hi

i bought your asset last month and i sent a mail yesterday from aa2060.

can you respond it?

thanks in advance.

King regards.

puppeteer likes this.
  9. puppeteer

puppeteer

You can put image answers and questions in addition to the text field, and also sound, like this:

upload_2020-1-13_12-57-38.png

10. eroms

eroms

I love your work. Its very helpful but I want to ask: Is it possible to show a type pad for a player to type the answer to a question by himself? If the answer is wrong (as compared to a predefined answer) he loses from his points. Secondly, can the game's appearance appear as portrait. Thanks

puppeteer likes this.
  11. puppeteer

puppeteer

Unfortunately there is no free text field option in the game.

For the other question, yes, there is a scene in the package that has a Portrait layout which you can try. It has the same basic structure as the regular scene, but the layout is different to fit portrait mode.

12. UnitySora

UnitySora

You should consider making a new template (or update existing template) with free text field option. I am actually also looking for such feature as a mini game.

puppeteer likes this.
  13. happindustries

happindustries

Hi, can i add the question from youtube ?, or this possible with video question ?

puppeteer likes this.
  14. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi, unfortunately video question didn't work out well with previous versions of my template. I thought it was due to the video file type that caused it to crash mobile devices, but it could be something else too.

15. J-Rossier

J-Rossier

Hello i'm using multiple Scene using template CS_GameCategoryGrid to create different theme. My problem is the high level reach on one theme is the same in the other one. Like French have 10 level and math 10 level. If i reach and unlock lvl 4 in french, level 4 is unlock in math to. How can i have different score? Hope i was clear sorry for my english.

16. Arcadeheroes

Arcadeheroes

Hi Puppetter, first off a big thanks for putting this kit together. After doing some research, this looked like the best fit for the kind of trivia game I wanted to put together. I am a big Unity noob and an stuck on a couple of things.I sent an email to Puppeteer, but might have gone to spam and all...and this might be helpful for others to see, in case you run into similar issues. I did scour the forums and documentation before getting to this point.

1) I cannot get the XML files to import. I had originally come up with over 1200 questions on a spreadsheet in Open Office; that didn't work so I tried using the Excel template that was provided in the kit (that has the presets for Question, Answer, Image, Wronger Answer, etc). I opened and saved that using Excel in Win10. That didn't work. I tried modifying an existing XML file in notepad, changing one of the Category XML files from the original questions to my questions - still didn't work. I have tried putting the files into the XML folder and tried using the Trivia import tool. It has saved questions if I input them manually, but with 1200~ questions, it'd be really nice to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2) I tried to make a build of the game just to test it out in Windows 10 and received two errors. This completes me stumps me and is concerning, as I would hate to put all this work into it then can't make a workable game out of it. Here are the errors:

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00242] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:194
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x0007f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:97
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

UPDATE: I did some tinkering by creating a new version of the project and verified that the build process works fine - it does. I also have discovered that by modifying existing XML files in Notepad is working, it's just a little tedious as I still have to port everything from my spreadsheets manually. Going to try and port just questions and once that's done start tinkering with the program. Previously I had removed things like the Math Quiz and Online XML from the start menu as I have no need for those, but I'll read up more carefully on how to properly remove unneeded elements so that I don't break the program.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  17. sughoshbhat_unity

sughoshbhat_unity

I'm trying to make quiz game where the data(questions/answers/options) will be stored in online(firebase or somthing) can i use this template to achieve my goal? is it possible with this template?

pradocaetano and DuaneMc like this.
  18. daniloalves450

daniloalves450

When i insert a music it plays until the end of music instead of going directly to the next question after i pressed the right button, is there a way to fix this?

19. send2icq

send2icq

I would like to purchase, but. Are there any plans to add admob?

20. Arcadeheroes

Arcadeheroes

I'm trying to finish up the game for a release, but am running into some issues.

In Close up/Image only mode, it is only showing 1 or 2 questions at a time, before it says "All of the questions have been asked, Resetting the quiz" It then asks the same two questions over and over. My settings are such that it shouldn't be happening like this, unless I am missing something? I sorted all of the questions with scores separated by 100, 200, 300, 400, & 500. The questions it shows are from the 100 category, but I have many more than two that fall therein, so this bug really baffles me.

Another issue is that fields that I put text into become bold and the more questions I add starts to slow things down. It wasn't doing that, but does it all the time now.

Please help! quiz_closeupsettings.jpg

puppeteer likes this.
  21. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi @puppeteer,

couldn't find a direct forum thread for it, so let me ask here:

1. "Scrambled Image Game" - could you add another game type option, so that the player have to move/slide the tiles? The slide should be only allowed to the next field - IF IT IS FREE! Example:

2. "Pop the bubbles" - could you add some new types of "falling objects", like bombs, blocks and so on? The goal could be, to collect only the bubbles, but not the other stuff. The other (wrong) stuff should be editable by myself.

22. puppeteer

puppeteer

An extremely late answer, but here goes.

It could be that the QuestionsPerGroup value is set to 0 instead of a higher value?

upload_2021-1-1_23-15-22.png

Regarding the bold text, that happens when you modify values in a component in a prefab object ( the objects in the scene that have a blue box icon and blue text ), so it indicates to you which fields values are modified, and you get the option of applying these changes to all instances of the same prefab, across all other scenes in the project.

About the slowdown, it happens when you have many questions in the same list, for example thousands of questions in a single component. You can alleviate this by dividing up your questions to category objects in the project, and use the Levels Grid object to load them in separate bunches instead of mixing them up all together.

Arcadeheroes likes this.
  23. WhiteWomanInTrouble

WhiteWomanInTrouble

@puppeteer
    i have sended you an email, so many days waiting a response... T_T

puppeteer likes this.
  24. puppeteer

puppeteer

I may have already answered by mail before, but in case I didn't I'm posting here also to help out others.

You had a question about having a button that can remove two wrong answers, so I made this block of code that checks answers and removes two random wrong ones:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void RemoveTwoWrongs()
    2.         {
    3.             int timeout = 100;
    4.             int removedAnswers = 0;
    6.             while (removedAnswers < 2)
    7.             {
    8.                 int randomAnswer = UnityEngine.Random.Range(0, answerObjects.Length);
    10.                 if (answerObjects[randomAnswer].GetComponent<Button>().interactable == true && questions[currentQuestion].answers[randomAnswer].isCorrect == false)
    11.                 {
    12.                     answerObjects[randomAnswer].GetComponent<Button>().interactable = false;
    14.                     removedAnswers++;
    15.                 }
    17.                 timeout--;
    19.                 if (timeout <= 0) return;
    20.             }
    21.         }
    Add it to your TQGGameController script and then call it with a UI Button in your scene.

I'm also planning a new update to TQG which will add some of the requested features such as multi-choice answers, etc.

25. Arcadeheroes

Arcadeheroes

Hi @puppeteer - Hope all is well. I recently got back into trying to finish my quiz game and have come across a couple of issues that I'm not sure how to resolve.

First are the built-in leaderboards. I've followed the instructions on the dreamlo plug-in and the installation(receiving and inputting both my public & private codes as needed), but after I imported the TQGShareToLeaderboard.cs script from the link in the manual, this is the error I get; It does not allow me to add the script to the PopUpShareToLeaderboard object in either the Victory or Game Over scenes:

Assets\TQGAssets\CS_Assets\CS_Scripts\TQGShareToLeaderboard.cs(136,32): error CS1061: 'dreamloLeaderBoard' does not contain a definition for 'LoadScores' and no accessible extension method 'LoadScores' accepting a first argument of type 'dreamloLeaderBoard' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Sounds like it doesn't like something in the script, but I have no idea what to do there.

For some other issues, they are minor, but this is what I've encountered, along with someone who has been kind enough to beta test the game for me:

*True or false: right side answer randomly shows as red (incorrect color but correct response)
    *Randomization of questions is low within all modes
    *Repeat questions within the same game on all modes
    [My note on the randomization/repeat questions - in all game modes, I have my settings for the questions to be like this, but we've come across repeat questions anyways]

upload_2021-6-6_15-22-38.png

*Cannot scroll in the category selector mode
    *Volume and SFX buttons don't work consistently and require constant toggle to correct (volume and SFX settings not saving? / in-game and app exit)
    *App has no integration with Android back / previous button (Android 7 and below?)

Sorry if that is a lot of stuff, but those are the only obstacles left for me to finish the game. Thanks in advance!

puppeteer likes this.
  26. puppeteer

puppeteer

Going through the dreamlo plugin again, it looks like some of the code was changed, and currently it has no direct method called LoadScores, so instead you can add in the dreamloLeaderboard script a function that just calls it so you can keep following the tutorial as is:

upload_2021-6-12_9-56-8.png

I also noticed that there are some new warnings in the plugin about the use of HTTPS on android builds, so I'm not sure how it will function on mobile devices.

About the other points, I'll have to go through and check them for bus. I'm planning to do a new update that has some new features, so it will be a chance to fix up and rework some of the code too.

27. puppeteer

puppeteer

A new feature for the next update is the ability to choose multiple answers for a question, here's how it looks:

TQGMultiChoice.gif

This will work along with the normal quiz, so you can set some of the questions as single-answer and some as multi-choice in the same quiz.

When you toggle "Multi Choice" for a question, it forces the player to choose all correct answers and confirm to check if they chose correctly or not.

upload_2021-8-1_10-39-56.png

Before posting this update I want to fix a few other things from the feedback and make sure it all works correctly together.

28. trojant

trojant

Hi, @puppeteer
    I want to export an XML file through Excel. This file contains questions, images, answers, etc., as well as followup, followup image, etc. now I can't get the followup in XML. Is there any way? I didn't find the relevant information.Thank you!

Attached Files:

puppeteer likes this.
  29. puppeteer

puppeteer

Ok, so I think I managed to make it work. Here's how:

- First I created an XML file that can be mapped in excel. The file needs to have at least two records in order to allow excel to understand that it will have multiple question, and it needs to have the relevant items filled out. So an easy way to do that is to export one of the existing category objects in the trivia project which already has the items you need filled out.

- Then the XML might need some modifications, specifically naming of "Answer1/2/3", and it looks like this in the end

upload_2021-8-23_10-46-50.png

- In excel, using the Developer tab I import the XML file, which then prompts for an automatic mapping. You can see the map by clicking on "Source" button in the developer tab. Finally I dragged the edge of the block to set the size of the XML file ( you will see the blue lines ), and exported to XML after filling up the data.

upload_2021-8-23_10-48-52.png

Tested it in unity and it seems to import the XML correctly.

I also attached the files for you to try out here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXW1Rb3roeWaPo35nnOt5hJEVHqej49a/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

30. trojant

trojant

hah,very detailed teaching, I also succeeded.Thank you!

31. trojant

trojant

Hi,@puppeteer

When I selected the question correctly:

(1)Can I display a successful particle effect and sound effect?

(2)After that, can I use c# code control to display the next question? It does not automatically jump to the next question or click the picture button to jump to the next question.

Thanks.

puppeteer likes this.
  32. puppeteer

puppeteer

(1)Can I display a successful particle effect and sound effect?

It can be a little tricky since the entire game is made in UI, so particles will not normally appear in the same space as the Canvas that shows the UI. There are a few plugins on the store that should do that, or you can check out one of the tutorials that show how to do it:

(2)After that, can I use c# code control to display the next question? It does not automatically jump to the next question or click the picture button to jump to the next question.

As long as there is a followup text, it will wait for the player to click to continue. Instead of that you can do a workaround with an invoke to skip the followup even if we don't click it ( we can still click it though ), like this:

upload_2021-9-2_0-21-39.png

And then to prevent the invoke from triggering multiple times, cancel it:

upload_2021-9-2_0-22-26.png

trojant likes this.
  33. trojant

trojant

Thank you for your reply.

(1)I have a new correct canvas, which contains some special effects and sound effects. I want users to display this canvas every time they answer correctly.(This canvas has its own animation, and it will disappear in 5 seconds). Is there any way? Thank you.

(2) _tQGGameController.SkipQuestion();//Thank you. I sovled the question in this way.

puppeteer likes this.
  34. trojant

trojant

Hi,@puppeteer
    I have a dynamic XML problem to need your help.I've seen CS_GameCategoryChallenge demo, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with dynamic XML.

I don't want to play problems sequentially or randomly. I want to choose different questions according to different events.In dynamic XML, I want to play a problem through index value(or category value). the index may be a string.index also looks like category.
    For example, if first question is 0 or -1, it will not be played in sequence or randomly. and I play the problem in this ChooseQuestion method by c# code. When there is only one index, the problem can be played directly. If there are more than one index, one of the problems can be played randomly,as ChooseQuestion(string index, bool isRandom = true, bool dontRepeat = true).

Or do you have a simpler way to implement it? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  35. trojant

trojant

Hi,@puppeteer

In a dynamic XML file,Can I get both true and false questions and choice questions? They differ in the number of answers.They both exist at the XML file.Thanks.

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yes, create a reference to that special canvas, as a GameObject, for example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject correctCanvas;
    And then when you need to display it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. correctCanvas.SetActive(true);
    And a method to turn it off after a while:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void DeactivateCorrectCanvas()
    2. {
    3.     correctCanvas.SetActive(false);
    4. }
    Which can then be called with a delay with invoke for example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Invoke("DeactivateCorrectCanvas");

37. puppeteer

puppeteer

I'm not sure I understood the question well, but I will answer about what TQGDynamicXML does; When you attach this component to a GameController or Category object, it will allow you to load questions directly from an XML file located online or locally on the user device. It works as a normal xml file so it should support all types of questions.

38. trojant

trojant

Thank you for your reply. Your answer is not what I want. I need to modify the code of this TQGGameController script, because I don't know when to execute the correct method or event.
    In the script, I added on 100 lines:
    public Transform correctCanvas;
    upload_2021-9-21_18-6-52.png
    then I added on 1116 lines: // Choosing the correct answer
    if (correctCanvas) correctCanvas.gameObject.SetActive(true);

finally, I added on 2330 lines: //in SkipQuestion()
    if (correctCanvas) correctCanvas.gameObject.SetActive(false);

Now the special effects are played when the answer is correct.

puppeteer likes this.
  39. NIVBAJOKA

NIVBAJOKA

Hi,
    I purchased the asset yesterday.

1. I was trying since then, how to add new category. Looks am not able to figure it out. plesase help me.

2. Also, Do I need to update the (Level) box in GameCategoryGrid Scene object that matches the number of category added. Right, in the UI it is displaying only 15.

3. If yes is the answer for 2nd question, how would I add it as when I click Category Grid, it is not displaying correct scene ? please see the selected Scenes and the object(Grid)

upload_2021-10-1_5-59-22.png

puppeteer likes this.
  40. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi @NIVBAJOKA ,

So I took the chance to make a video explaining some of the features of the Category Grid mode, as well as showing how to make a new category with custom color, icon, name, etc

Check it out and tell me if that covers your questions.

Specifically about the questions:
    2. When you add a category to the list in the TQGCategoryGrid component, it will automatically expand the UI to accommodate the new categories. So no need to edit the UI on your part, just add as many categories as you need.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  41. puppeteer

puppeteer

So I had a question from a user about increasing the maximum answers in a quiz. Here's how you can do it:

MaximumAnswerObjects.gif

In the GameController object you can find the answer objects. Duplicate one of the answer objects to increase the maximum count. Now you can have a quiz with up to 5 answers ( you can have less answers in a quiz, but not more than the maximum answer objects ).

42. asterval21

asterval21

is there a free assets for this.? i need it for school project huhuhuh

43. puppeteer

puppeteer

Sometimes there are sales from Unity Asset Store, but there is no free version of this template.

44. Kiamiya

Kiamiya

Hi,
    Is it possible to feed the grid with multiple xml categories?

puppeteer likes this.
  45. puppeteer

puppeteer

It's an interesting idea.
    I think with a bit of coding you can use the DynamicXML component to swap out addresses from multiple XML sources. The way I'd go about it could be like this:

- Attach TQGDynamicXML component to the GameController object
    upload_2022-9-19_8-38-15.png

- The gamecontroller will always load whatever address it finds in the dynamic XML

upload_2022-9-19_8-39-58.png

- So we can reuse this call several times during play after changing the address manually (addresses could be placed in a list?)

Just an idea, didn't try it out.

46. AGS_Five

AGS_Five

Hey there, just wondering if I'm able to track user scores / clicks / what questions they got wrong and right through this. I've noticed there's an "online quiz" portion to the demo, just trying to understand if it's setup for google analytics or something.

(Need to monitor data of students and their ability etc)

47. AdrianSoto

AdrianSoto

Hi, Im having an issue where the Trivia MultipleChoice demo runs perfectly in Unity editor, however when I build the apk the game wont start. The music playes but its like the GameController never loads.
    Any ideas?

48. djm

djm

This is an excellent asset. I have been using the template to create educational iOS apps for years and I appreciate all of the improvements and new features.

I’m using the “Follow up” field to provide rationales for each question but the user has to tap on the screen to continue when seeing the follow-up, which isn’t always intuitive. I know I can add a "tap to continue" button but it's an extra step for the end-user. I was curious if there is a way to have the follow up screen wait for a few seconds and then move on to the next question without tapping on the screen.

I realize this can be done if you don’t use the follow up option by changing the WaitForSeconds time but it would be ideal if this could also be done with the follow up option for each question.

From the TQGGameController.cs script:
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f);

I apologize if I’m missing an obvious solution here.

Thanks,
    DJM
    https://highdesertgames.com/

49. djm

djm

Bump

Hi,@puppeteer any thoughts on how to force the follow-up screen for each question to move on with out having to tap on the screen? Ideally, the enduser would see the follow-up screen with a new image and an explanation for a few seconds and then it would move onto the next question without having to tap on the screen. Right now I am manually adding a continue button to the image in Photoshop which I understand isn't a very smart way to work around this. Appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

50. unity_Kbkpuya9swVoBw

unity_Kbkpuya9swVoBw