Search Unity

[RELEASED] TPSA - Third Person Shooter System (template)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stiffx, Jan 24, 2015.

?

What additional pack would you like to see in TPSA?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2015.
  1. Enemy AI Shooter

44.4%
  2. Friend AI (like sherry from Resident evil 4)

55.6%
  1. Stiffx

Stiffx

Hi there guys, I'm just passing by to tell you that I'm working on the new updates. It will take a little while because I'm refactoring most of the features + new character with better animation transition.
    Please stay around....

ActiveRigStudios and silentking like this.
  2. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

awesome! :)

Stiffx likes this.
  3. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Stiffx You can tell me if the inventory file does not appear when download the pack

4. Stiffx

Stiffx

HI there, I don't think I understand your question. Can you please explain it?
    Cheers

5. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

can I get this work the motion controller?

I'm looking for a tps weapons system and I like this one and it has alot more like maps and inventory.

Stiffx likes this.
  6. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

I bought the package yesterday and download this pack and the file "INVENTORY"
    in GUI / HUD not appears

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  7. Stiffx

Stiffx

You need to download the update from my website www.stiffix.info
    Register your assetstore invoice number and then download the Unity 5.x 1.3 Oficial version.
    The assetstore version does not have the inventory for now, because take too much time for them to update the pack, but I'll be uloading to the assetstore the 1.3 version this week.

Thank you

8. Stiffx

Stiffx

Do you mean a usb/wireless controller like Xbox motion controller? If that is the case, yes of course :)

9. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Thanks Stiffx i got it

Stiffx likes this.
  10. blabla06

blabla06

Hello,

Here is my problem : everything works fine except when my character is aiming, he doesn't follow the mouse.
    Can you help me ?

Thank you in advance for your reply !

11. silentking

silentking

What exactly happens when aiming?

12. blabla06

blabla06

Well, the weapon doesn't follow the cursor when I look up or down.
    Capture d’écran 2015-04-13 à 20.57.43.png Capture d’écran 2015-04-13 à 20.51.46.png
    Any ideas ?

13. silentking

silentking

Have you set the IK? in systems?

14. blabla06

blabla06

15. silentking

silentking

This has some arm adjustments, that might help.

16. Stiffx

Stiffx

@silentking thank you for your reply I appreciate it.
    @blabla06 why are you using the old version of the project?

silentking likes this.
  17. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I'm sorry I ment can I use other functions like your pick up weapon, the map, inventory system with my own charater controller? I'm sure the built in controller is amazing I was very fond of the one I have.

Stiffx likes this.
  18. Stiffx

Stiffx

Ohh I see... yes you can, you have to read and understand my code then you will be able copy parts of it To use them at your own controller. :)

19. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

cool thank you sir, love your asset been looking at it for a while. But as I buy an asset I like to focus on one at a time before buying another. will be picking it up soon.

Long live C#

thanks agian

Stiffx likes this.
  20. Skarabx

Skarabx

Hi Stiffix! I just want to toss out a few questions and comments. I may of missed these in the forums and if I did, I apologize.
    1) When you have a weapon equipped and you unequipped it, the weapon stays in the hands of the player.
    2) I did read that you are considering ladder support. Is this still on the burner?
    3) Jumping? For example being able to jump from a ladder to a pipe.. etc.
    4) Player - NPC interaction Is there any suggestions for a third party program that works with your system in regards to conversation?
    5) Purchase Sell - Again, any Third Party addons that work well with this?
    6) Clipping - We got most of the clipping issues ironed out but we are still getting some when boarding starcraft and trains, and with our elevators. Any pointers?
    (Will post images if required)

I am a 3d artist, not a coder so I can build pretty much anything static, but ask me to code and my head explodes. As a matter of fact my whole development team is about the same way. Hiring coders or using a prebuild is much more feasible to us. So just thought I would ask!

Keep up the good work, your slowly beating out UFPS for our engine of choice.

21. drewradley

drewradley

Skarabx, how did you handle the clipping issues? I've started looking into that myself and wondering how you fixed most of them.

p.s. I use the Okashi Role Playing Framework for NPC interactions and stores, among other things such as spawn points. It works fairly well but there is a bit of coding involved to get the player to stop during interactions. Luckily, this asset has a nice "Can Control" Boolean to do just that.

22. Skarabx

Skarabx

Stiffx likes this.
  23. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, I've played around with the settings but nothing really helped. Still clip right through walls unless I have the collider on the character too wide to go through doors. My next step is to start messing around with the code to see if I can't fix it in there. Otherwise, I'll just go back to my 1st person project that I shelved in favor of this. I'm sure he'll get that fixed pretty soon.

edit: played around with the collider thickness and it seems to help.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Stiffx likes this.
  24. Stiffx

Stiffx

Hi there @Skarabx
    That's really strange behavior could you please check at the TPSA_WeaponController Weapons Array if there's any "Is Selected" boolean set to true? You can check that by the inspector while game is running.

Yes Sir. It's under development for free to be included in the pack. I just need to explain a couple of things before talking more about ladder system (I'll do that at the end of my post)

This is a very nice idea, however I think this can wait a little more, I'll explain at the bottom of the post and you'll understand why :)

I'm working on a Friend AI, this AI can follow, talk and help, maybe it could have most of the basics NPC abilities you need.

Unfortunate can't give you and advice about that, I've never tested any in app purchase system sorry :(

I see... We can work something out to make it better no worries.

Well then, I need to tell you guys something, I received alot of requests about new stuff, new cool ideas that got me crazy to implement, but I took a deep breath and started to focus at change the pack to the people who does not know how to code. My first thought was hey I can have a small template that uses allot of good mechanics and dynamic adaptiation and "coders" can use it to create their own game. Silly me! Turns out that most of my costumers are designers just like you @Skarabx , that's why I'm refactoring most of the classes making things more customizable so you don't need to touch the code. This is a very hard task I know that, but I'm trying the same way as I've created all of the Editor Scripts to help you create a new player, jump objects, packable objects and so on... Anyways I'm trying my best to make things more Comfortable while changing the template variables, adjustments, etc... There's alot, but alot of improvements thinking about not being a coder, so I ask you guys to wait until I finish this task, because once it's finished we can work out on the adjustments and I can place this adjustments at the inspector, for example: the maximum speed of the player was set to 1f by code. But now you can adjust that via inspector with a Slider, easy don't you think :) ? Many other adjustments that i've done by code now can be done via inspector.

So once I finish this task we will talk about what else should be improved, and what else should be added to the Inspector in order to get the job done easily.

Sorry for the long post but that is what I've been working on and I really think you guys would be proud of the pack once it's done.

:rolleyes: big thanks man you made my day :D

snackzilla and Skarabx like this.
  25. Stiffx

Stiffx

By the way you guys are talking about camera clipping, isn't that?

26. Stiffx

Stiffx

Following the good news there's no need to use the IK_Left or Right component anymore, and the Upper body aim rotation now has more options in order to bend properly thanks @drewradley for the tip.
    I've reduced drastically the number of needed components to set via inspector, most of them now will be set by the scripts automatically.

27. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Wow. Being a silly artist who doesn't know nothing about code, I'm really looking forward to all this. Thanks a lot for thinking about people like me.

Stiffx likes this.
  28. Stiffx

Stiffx

But I don't think you're silly, your work is very solid, much respect :) but thanks anyway :D

29. AgathaCrup

AgathaCrup

Hey Staffix, the time we spend waiting for your adjustments will easily be made up by the time saved not having to work through code so holding my breath and anxiously awaiting updates and addons

Stiffx likes this.
  30. drewradley

drewradley

Not sure if clipping is the right word or not but when you stand next to a wall and turn, the camera passes slightly through the wall and you can see on the other side. I "fixed" this by using box colliders and increasing their width.

31. Stiffx

Stiffx

Could you please try one little thing? I didn't go trough the details but you could extend the raycast to check if there's collisions a little bit before the camera position, I would try something like that.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  32. jbooker410

jbooker410

Hey Stiffx. This is an amazing asset!!! Having a strange issue with setting up my own character. First off when i go through the 1.3 character set up I get an error saying camera target can not be a child of the camera object which it is not it is a child of the character. Will not let me finish set up. I set it up manually and works ok. When i set up the weapons working on ak now. The player is bending up and down when I move my mouse side to side instead of up and down like it should and the left hand IK works when holding in idle but does not follow the IK when in aim. Any ideas?

33. drewradley

drewradley

Do you mean changing the camera script where it does the linecast around line 200? I set up a new vector3 called tempPos which I set to equal "position" and used that as the "to" in the linecast. Then I adjusted tempPos.z to see what happened. Adding to it made it worse and subtracting seemed to cause strange jerking when rotating. I'm guessing I just don't understand what to do.

34. Stiffx

Stiffx

@jbooker410 why are you using the old version?

Ok then, I'll check on that later, I just need to finish the Player Controller changes and we can discuss about that.

drewradley likes this.
  35. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

bought it and about to dive in

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Stiffx likes this.
  36. Stiffx

Stiffx

Thank you, don't forget to download the update from my website, have fun!

37. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

yeh updates just drag and drop to project file I assume. Got little kids one 5 year old and 8 months with a hot wife of 12 years they require alot of my time so my 3D project for me is rush and go and I miss things I normally don't . At first I could not get update till I took the time to read the PDF then all is well lol.

My purpose is to merge 80% of your wonder asset to my own character who has a character/camera controller any tips or advise?

maybe as easy as just drag scripts to character component?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  38. Stiffx

Stiffx

To do that you need to fully understand my scripts there's no other way ;)

39. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Understood. I'm still new to c# but I am going to love the process it has to be done.;)

or I might just hire a coder to help me with this project since i'm no use when it comes to coding

thanks friend I look forward to your updates.:)

Stiffx likes this.
  40. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

OK I take action and bought this last night to get me up to speed on scripting in unity https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/?dtcode=Nd44LuY2MNUu

Its a start but was the best option for what I want to learn

is there a way to import a custom CHARACTER/CAMERA controller into the project TPSA

If not then my only option is to code all myself because I looked into hiring someone (HELL NO) WAY TO COSTLY

41. drewradley

drewradley

Why do you want to import a custom character/ camera controller into this project since it is primarily a character/camera controller? It would probably be much easier to figure out what specifically you want from that other system and edit this one to include that.

42. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I have changed this many times over. I bought the TPSA after seeing what it did while

working with my other controller.

Man I wished I bought this a long time ago. After reading up and digging in I realize my only

challange is to map TPSA to the xbox 360 but I remember Stiffx telling me last week that

I could do this.

I had tunnel vission, This is amazing and there add ons coming WOW.

great job Stiffx

really thanks looking forward to your other add ons

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Stiffx likes this.
  43. drewradley

drewradley

I did it. It's pretty easy. You'll need to dig into the code a bit. A lot of the controls are hard coded to a specific key so you need to change ( or add) all those to use a button so you can then map it to the controller through Unity's input manager.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'm more than happy to help.

Stiffx likes this.
  44. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I am learning C# now as we speak. Will I have to understand the sntax of C# to map to xbox or is it simple as adding or changing getkey for input (if that makes sense) Remember I am a noob when it comes to code.

I got this to start the learning process

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/?dtcode=Nd44LuY2MNUu

Thanks for your input you were right when respnding to my post on custom controllers

I may do it later but why ? TPSA has it all.

Take Care.

45. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, pretty much. Just change any version of getkey to the same version to getbutton and everything should be fine once you set them up in the input manager. I used "||" and just added the getbutton to the same line as the getkey. This way you won't even mess up the built in controls. Just be sure to not map over a built in key.

Stiffx likes this.
  46. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

cool. Hey thanks for taking the time it means alot.

Stiffx likes this.
  47. Stiffx

Stiffx

Hi there guys, I'm still working on the new updates, now you can adjust the camera height while sliding.
    Also there's a new free surprise I'm preparing for you guys. Stay around

blackbird and thenamesace like this.
  48. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

anyone know to how map xbox 360 controller to TPSA I am having trouble

i can not code or understand code, Although I am learning now.

any input manager files or script I can drag n drop.

Any documentation on how to get it done.

Drewradley you out there :) How you get it to work.

I'm getting my but kicked over here lol

49. drewradley

drewradley

Well, let's start with something simple: open the Input Manager and look for the second set of "Horizontal" and "Vertical" and change "type" to "Joystick Axis". Set Horizontal to X axis and Vertical to Y Axis and this SHOULD let you move the player with the joystick.

50. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

It does move but thats it. no camera, buttons, and triggers