Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. nanase

nanase

Hello, I have a problem. It seems that I can't stop the walking animation immediately when I release the move button. The walking parameter seems to depend on_ Horizontalmovement and_ Is the value of verticalmovement 0

hotpeperoncino likes this.
  2. reuno

reuno

@nanase > This may be due to a wrong animator setup, make sure your transition out of the Walk animation doesn't have exit time.

3. nanase

nanase

This is also true when I'm running minimalswald3d,Please watch the video.
    When my finger releases the move button, the walking property does not immediately turn to false. When the zspeed property turns to 0, the walking property turns to false

4. reuno

reuno

5. unity_26735D256064CA3542F5

unity_26735D256064CA3542F5

would it make sense to create an ARPG (think diablo type game) with this? It seems mostly to be focused on 2D with the 3D still being mobile centric.

6. reuno

reuno

@unity_26735D256064CA3542F5 > There's no difference between 2D and 3D in the engine, and it doesn't target mobile specifically. But it's focused on topdown action games, not ARPGs, so no, it wouldn't be a very good match, there is almost no overlap in core mechanics between both genres.

7. a-xu

a-xu

Hi there, i am playing around for some days now with tde and im really exicted, however i am still a beginner with unity. I am planning to make a topdown game with a vehicle as character. So i created a character and this works so far, but i need something like a reverse gear for backward direction instead of rotating back (forward and side rotation is ok). Is there a solution within tde or do i have code this?

8. reuno

reuno

@a-xu > No, there's nothing in TDE for that, it's designed for characters, not vehicles (that would be Highroad Engine).

9. Axhead

Axhead

I have been trying to follow the How to create a Character youtube video, but I am unable to drag and drop or copy things. There is probably a setting to unlock this but I have not been able to find it.

For example:
    • at 17:07 you talk about clicking on the Koala Prefab and copying it. I cant copy it :(
    • at 21:40 you drag the Circle UI from the left Hierarchy pane onto the Scene. I cant drag and drop ANYTHING onto the scene.
    I assume its the same setting that unlocks all of this, but I have no idea what it is.

Please Help!

10. reuno

reuno

@Axhead > These (copy, drag & drop) are native base features of Unity, they're not related to the engine. I'm not aware of any setting that would prevent them from working. I'd recommend contacting Unity about it, as it looks a lot like a bug on their end.

11. Axhead

Axhead

I think its because I don't have Scene View for Koala 2D.

Is there a way to turn this on?

EDIT: I figured it out. Sorry for the dumb question, but don't worry, I will ask a lot more noob questions! :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  12. reuno

reuno

@Axhead > Sure, ctrl + 1
    You can learn more about the scene view at https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UsingTheSceneView.html
    I would strongly recommend following entry level tutorials on Unity before tackling the engine though.
    The engine's documentation assumes at least a basic understanding of Unity's core features. If you don't have that knowledge, you'll keep running into issues. I'd suggest taking at least a month to discover the basics, then get back to the engine once you feel ready.

Axhead likes this.
  13. Axhead

Axhead

That is excellent advice, which I was hoping to avoid :)

One more question before I go and dig into the Unity Documentation (and maybe take a beginner course or two).

I followed the Custom option for Character Creation and added my own Sprite. The problem is when I move the sprite so it clips its head or foot on a corner of the dungeon, it starts spinning. I have been through that portion of the video several times, and I am confident that I have followed all the steps.... Any pointers to keep my poor little guy from cartwheeling all over the place?
    upload_2021-3-27_20-28-55.png

14. reuno

reuno

@Axhead > Without more info, I have to admit I don't know what could cause this, it's not an issue that's ever been reported. Maybe you forgot to freeze the z rotation on your rigidbody?

15. Axhead

Axhead

@reuno That was exactly it thanks! I really appreciate the patience and advice, but don't want to wear out my welcome. So I have started the Unity Learning courses, and will follow your take a break from my bumbling development until I have a stronger foundation. I am working next week, but am taking the 10 days after that as vacation and will use that time to focus on this stuff.

reuno likes this.
  16. reuno

reuno

@Axhead > That's the right move, it'll make your journey so much easier. Have fun learning Unity!

17. jakubsobun

jakubsobun

Hi! Awesome asset! I bought it to speed up my afterhours projects. I'm writing here because I stumbled on a problem. Maybe I'm just trying to make something to much complex. The mechanic I'm trying to implement in my local multiplayer game is: A ButtonActivated building that has two available options, f.e. 'button X' and 'button A', and any player that is near it can use it, and the building knows which player pressed which button. So there are multiple challenges to overcome.
    1 ButtonActivated class isn't aware of which player pressed button,
    2 ButtonActivated class has only one button to choose, and its not simple to just add another one as its not aware which button is pressed
    3 if i try to use multiple classes ButtonActivated on same object, only one at a time can be triggered
    Hope it is understandable. I don't expect you to solve the issues for me, but maybe you could have advice how to handle this problem, as maybe I just missing some simple solution there. Anyway i will overwrite some stuff probably or will make my own

EDIT: That is what I thought, thank you for fast reply! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  18. reuno

reuno

@jakubsobun > There's no feature like the one you're after at the moment, it's something you'd have to implement. I think it's doable to do that by extending the ButtonActivated class, to add support for your multiplayer context, that seems like the right path.

19. Lengjai

Lengjai

Hi Reuno I am making my game for PC and making the primary control to be on the XBOX controller. I have made the second analogue stick as the aim control in the WEAPON AIM 3D and the mode as SECONDARY THEN PRIMARY MOVEMENT. However I would want the players to have the option to have the mouse as the aim aswell for if they don't have an XBOX controller. Am I correct to say currently on the engine I can only have only one or the other mode and can't set it up to work on both the 2nd analoge stick and the mouse as aim together? Thanks

20. reuno

reuno

@Lengjai > Yes, you're correct, as it'd be quite hard to decide on resting states if you were to handle both at once. What you can do (and what most games do) is detect mouse movement / stick movement, and have a class activate one mode or the other on your WeaponAim based on that. But both at once doesn't really work.

21. Lengjai

Lengjai

@reuno I have no knowledge of coding and won't know how to set this up, would you implement it to any future release by any chance if its an easy task? Thank you
    PS: any updates on the next big release?

22. reuno

reuno

@Lengjai > What gets added to next releases is based on amount of requests by the community. Feel free to use the support form to suggest this feature.

23. DJVDJV

DJVDJV

Hi,
    I made just 100x100 tilemap top of 2d demo. I got huge performance loss.

Edit:
    Strange behavior: performace loss only hit when I change player characters trensform X and Y in Unity with mouse. And trying move after that with keyboard.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  24. reuno

reuno

@DJVDJV > That's a Unity/Tilemap bug unfortunately, nothing to do with the engine.

DJVDJV and Baris-B like this.
  25. MWMusker

MWMusker

Great asset, really happy with it, especially with the inclusion of mmfeedbacks and the other extras.

I've come to the point of implementing game specific functionality but given the way the various components interact with one another I thought I'd ask your opinion on some best practices stuff.

Weapons use the ammo system to tag and track ammo types specific to that weapon, but lets say we wanted to share resources between two abilities. My use case here is a stamina bar that is consumed for both dodge and sprint.

I know how I'd write a quick and dirty version from scratch but I'm trying to remain consistant with your modular design here so as to not cause problems later. If you were writing it, how would you handle that, and further, do you think adding default components for ability agnostic player resources with recharge/pickup type definitions in the inspector is something you feel would be appropriate for the base package?

Or, you know, if I'm just being dumb and overlooked an already present simple setup to support it that's already on display in the demos can you nudge me in the right direction?

26. reuno

reuno

@MWMusker > There is no such feature at the moment. How to implement it really depends on your specs, there are tons of ways to do it, and all would be valid. I'd go with whatever you're most comfortable with, as really there wouldn't be any dependency with any existing features in this case.

27. MWMusker

MWMusker

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'm just writing a resource manager to stick on the character and extending any included abilities I like to call its methods.

Stand by my suggestion on the vote pile for making it feature update though. I feel like "this innate ability uses a shared resource bar / cooldown" is a pretty common situation for tons of games, including a lot of top down games, and unfortunately my implementation is gonna be too game specific to really be of use on your repo.

Still, GREAT asset! Tons of value!

reuno likes this.
  28. DJVDJV

DJVDJV

Yo. Is there an example for multiple inventories (like inventory for chest). Where I can put item from inventory to other?

29. reuno

reuno

DJVDJV likes this.
  30. DJVDJV

DJVDJV

Thanks. I was not clear enough. I meant like have UI-inventory also for chests. Now its are just removed from the chest.

31. jakubsobun

jakubsobun

hi, its me again. Is anyone having issues with Explodudes demo? I get characters randomly stuck when moving. Usually first 30s of game is enough to get one stuck, it occurs every time I play. Tried xbox controller and keyboard. Tried Unity 2019.4 and 2020.3. When the stuck occurs, character stops moving, but the animation of running is on, and its rotation updates with input Could not invest to much time to investigate it, but looks like the animation state stays "running" without going back to "idle".

32. reuno

reuno

@DJVDJV > No, there is no such feature, you'd have to implement it.
    @jakubsobun > I'm not aware of any issue with the Explodudes demo. If your issue persists, don't hesitate to provide more info (such as what version you're running, for starters) via the support form.

33. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Maybe this can help:

Tilemap and Composite Colliders
    You can use the Tilemap Collider 2D component together with the Composite Collider 2D component. When you add both components to the same Tilemap, Unity composites the Collider shapes of neighboring Tiles together. This smoothes out the corners and edges between Collider shapes in neighbouring Tiles.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TilemapCollider2D.html

34. hotpeperoncino

hotpeperoncino

I'd like to make MMHealthbar face to main Camera always. Does MMHealthbar support such billboard-like functionality?

35. reuno

reuno

@hotpeperoncino > No, right now there isn't, but there's a MMBillboard class you could add to your health bars to add that functionality.

hotpeperoncino likes this.
  36. hotpeperoncino

hotpeperoncino

@reuno > Thank you. I got good result by using the combination of MMHealthBar + MMBillboard + MMFollowTarget to make billboard-like healthbar following target.

reuno likes this.
  37. ko-de

ko-de

Hi @reuno ,

spend a few hours over the weekend testing out what's possible with your (great) engine. To test if it works with terrain in general I replaced the ground in the LOFT3D scene with some terrain. Sadly it seems that AI can't find its path anyomore in most cases resulting in AI moving back and forwards on the same position. But the player/character can move everywhere without any issues. Does the AI need something to work better with terrain? I think it must be possible in general if it works for the player right? I would be thankful for every hint. Thank you

38. reuno

reuno

@ko-de > The AIs in the Loft demo are path based, they follow an exact path, and in this case it has to be flat. You could try using navmeshes and the pathfinding actions instead of the "perfect" waypoint ones. You'll have to setup your terrain's navmeshes first.

ko-de likes this.
  39. ko-de

ko-de

@reuno Thank you for the fast reply, that points into the right direction. I setup a navmesh now but not sure what action fits best. What exact type of action from the framework did you mean with "pathfinding actions" and do I need anything else? If possible you could add a demo with terrain in the next release. I'm sure that will help not only me. Thank you very much

40. Martin_Blackbird

Martin_Blackbird

Hi @reuno,
    I have an issue with the knockback system for melee weapons: I setted up the knockback mode to AddForce and add X and Y values but despite the damage is inflicted correctly, the animation works but the enemy does not get knock back at all.

upload_2021-4-29_13-35-49.png

I have been trying to change the values and adding extreme values to try to find the factor that create the issue but I did not find anything.

Any advice?

EDIT: I am working with 2D elements of the engine.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  41. reuno

reuno

@ko-de > Sure, if more people request a specific terrain demo, it'll make it into a release. Right now it just doesn't seem to spark much interest, I suppose mostly because it already works out of the box. Don't hesitate to use the support form to add your vote to that! As for the pathfinding action, that'd be AIActionPathfinderToPatrol3D.
    @Martin_Blackbird > That's (very likely) due to a bug, fixed in the upcoming next release.

42. Martin_Blackbird

Martin_Blackbird

@neru, I know you said before there will not be public ETA for the releases,but...
    Should I invest time into create a workarround (like the one I just made for negative recoil weapons... -not supported currently but I implemented in my project :p-) or the release is too close that it is not worthy the time nor the effort?

Thanks a lot!

43. reuno

reuno

@Martin_Blackbird > I think it's safer if you implement it on your end considering the effort on this specific issue, if you want a quick fix.

44. Martin_Blackbird

Martin_Blackbird

Ok, thanks for the advice.

I will go on with the "magic" on my side... just a little "duck tape" here and there, a firm slap on the top and it will do the thing for sure... let's hope I will not break anything important... o_O

upload_2021-4-29_17-52-8.png

reuno likes this.
  45. RonTang

RonTang

@reuno Hello there! I've buy this asset a few days. The demos such as minimal 3d scene run at very low fps(less than 20) on my pc. My pc's system is Win10 and CPU is intel 10th i5 and 8G memory. The engine shouldn't perform so badly.
    Please help me , thanks

46. RonTang

RonTang

OK, It is my pc‘s graphics card too bad~~~~ Turn light off the fps up to 80+

47. weblanzarote

weblanzarote

Hi! I just wanted to comment that I am also interested in this.
    I take this opportunity to ask if you think I can take advantage of the Dialogue System for Unity variables to create my own Level Up environment. For example, when leveling up, the maximum life or movement speed increases.

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - I think the original poster was asking about unlocking different scenes (levels) to travel to. For character levels (health, abilities, etc.) it's probably better to handle this outside of the Dialogue System. However, you can make your character level methods available to the Dialogue System so you can use them inside conversations -- for example, to say one thing if the player is above a specified level and say another thing if the character is below, or to give the player experience points when they talk to an NPC. If you have any questions about that, please feel free to post on the Dialogue System forum or in the Dialogue System's Unity forum thread.

49. reuno

reuno

@RonTang > The demos (even the minimal ones) are relatively "heavy" on the GPU side. The engine itself is super lightweight. To optimize them, you can disable all effects, post processing, vfx, lights, etc. What remains is the engine :)
    @TonyLi > Thanks for your feedback on this!

50. wisteriasky

wisteriasky

Hello! I have a 4 directional sprite as the main player and when they deal damage I would like it to happen in front of the player, currently even if I'm facing away from the "enemy" damage is still dealt. Also when the weapon is first equipped the "slash" animation plays, I'm wondering how I could turn that off. I've uploaded a video for reference. Thanks in advance!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pist285zgh10b0i/2021-05-02 12-09-14.mov?dl=0