Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

Aaron2348 likes this.
  2. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

3. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > I answered you via email an hour ago about this, I'm not sure if you're getting my replies.
    In case anyone else has the same question, that's very likely because you're using an old version of the engine, on an old version of Unity (2018.4 if I'm not mistaken). CharacterSwap was added 5 versions ago, back in June 2019.
    Updating to a more recent version of Unity will let you get access to newer APIs, and in turn new features of the engine. You can check the first item of the FAQ for more info about this.

4. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

No im not getting your e-mail in my email it says i was the last to send a message so idk about that but you are basically saying since im using 2018.4 im not getting the the latest release from September 1 , why is that exactly when it clearly states support for 2018.2.6, So can you explain to me how my version of unity does not allow me to get the last release on the Asset store, i have never heard of this, Usually what ever version is on the Asset store will get imported correct or no?

5. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

If i update my project to a new version of Unity will i then have the CharacterSwap Script or is that going to break my project completely?

6. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > Sure, it's very easy. Your version of Unity is 1.5 years old. Back then a lot of APIs simply didn't exist, or were in a broken state. If you want to get access to newer features of Unity, you'll need to update Unity.
    Now that Unity has added even more dependency on the package manager, and breaks stuff at a more regular pace than before, that's even more the case. The Asset Store gets you the last compatible version of the engine for the version of Unity you're using. That's the case for all assets on the store, even if the store doesn't do a very good job at communicating it. That's why I added all that info on the releases page and elsewhere.
    So as explained in the FAQ I pointed you at, or on the releases page, you can see what version of Unity is required by each version of the engine.
    As for whether or not updating would break your project, it's hard to tell, that'd depend on the project. It's not something that usually goes easy, especially if you're updating from a version that is a year and a half old, as is your case. Whatever you decide to do, I'd strongly recommend having a backup in case something goes wrong, which unfortunately is very likely when updating over such a big gap.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  7. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Okay i see well that's all good info
    Ill try to update it to the 2019 lts and go from there if i have to start fresh its no problem i really only been prototyping and reading the docs in the last few days so its all good, Thanks for the Support

8. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > Alright! Make sure you read the first page of the documentation then, it explains how to update (basically, remove the old folder, import the new version). And again, unless you're ok with maybe losing your project, I'd strongly suggest a backup :) By the way, I've sent all my unanswered emails to you again, and also via PM, so hopefully this time you'll get one version of them!

Aaron2348 likes this.
  9. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi so i got the New Version Update in 2019.4 now and i was able to get the CharacterSwap working in my screne but there is one issue when i press the p key to swap characters it does swap but the whole level turns black until i switch back to the Character before, Is there something im missing.

10. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > Does the problem happen in any of the demos, no changes made? If yes, which one?

11. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Well no not exactly but i put my character in the Demo Character Swap Scene and change the Swap order to 7 so it is the last Character you can swap too, and it works without the level going black but if i move the Character to far he will disappear, So i find that kind of odd too.

12. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > I'm not sure I follow. Do you think you could provide repro steps to your issue?
    If the issue doesn't happen in the demo, then I suppose there's something wrong with your character that causes the issue. But nobody ever reported such an issue, so I'd need more info if you want me to look into it.

13. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

It might be the Character so ill try and fix which may be the issue the size of the Character because i also had noticed that when the scene would start the camera would not show my full character, so what i did was resize the scale from 1 to .05 so maybe i need to just resize the default sprite
    But far as steps all i did
    Was theses
    1.Duplicate The Minimal2d Scene

2. Add an empty an attach the Character Manager to it and Change empty name to Character Swap Manager

3. Add an empty object rename it Character Swap and add the Character Swap Manager to it as a child object

4. Add the CharacterSwap Script to my Character and set its order to 0

5. Duplicate My Character and add it to the hierarchy and Switch the Character type to Ai

6. Drag the Duplicated Character with the Ai type to the Assets to make a new prefab

7. Delete the Duplicate Character from hierarchy and drag the newly created Prefab to the hierarchy

8. Set the Swap order of the Character in the Hierarchy to 1

9. Create an empty object name it Character and make the Character a child of the object.

14. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > It's very likely an issue with your character. If it works fine in the demo without your character, and doesn't when you add it, then that's certain, that's why I asked for steps to repro your issue, which would have to include character creation, as that's where the issue lies.
    If the issue persists, please use the support form, I'll be happy to help you through it. On a side note I wouldn't recommend rescaling your character like that, at the logic level, it'd be much better to scale your model instead.

15. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

All i use to create character is Character Creator 2d Asset so im going to recreate and see what happens but again if you are actually reading what im saying the Character is working fine in my scene i have two of the same Characters in my scene when i swap one Character makes the level go black and i can only see the Character when i swap back the other Character works fine, so really the way i size it should not have anything to do with why the level turns black on swap

16. reuno

reuno

@Aaron2348 > Yes, I am reading what you're saying. Please don't doubt that, I'm trying to help you here.
    But if the demo works, and adding your character to it causes the issue, it's likely an issue with your character. Just like for your previous issue, knowing exactly what you do would help pinpoint the error. So if the issue persists, don't hesitate to use the support form, and I'll be happy to help you again.

17. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

And
    Alright

reuno likes this.
  18. reuno

reuno

You can also use the PMs if you keep having issues with your emails, that's ok :)

Aaron2348 likes this.
  19. keikusanaji

keikusanaji

@reuno
    Hello reuno, I think I found a bug. I tested this in my project and in your demo as well.

If you go to the minimal sanbox 2d and use the dungeon portal with the poolable ninja, everything is fine.
    But if you add to the poolable ninja an ai patrol component (both 2d and 3d), when the ninja spawn he will be invisible and he will not follow rules like obstacles. The super streange thing is that this bug comes up even if you don't use the patrol component into the ai brain.

reuno likes this.
  20. reuno

reuno

@keikusanaji > This looks like a bug indeed, I'll look into it for the next release. If you find other bugs, please use the support form to report them, makes it easier for me to follow up with a fix, and guarantees they don't get lost :)

21. keikusanaji

keikusanaji

Oki, gl for the 2.0!
    In the meantime I'm having a blast with the engine

reuno likes this.
  22. TiBiBo

TiBiBo

Hi @reuno!
    Can AIActionMovePatrol3D, AIActionPathfinderToTarget3D, AIActionPathfinderToPatrol3D and other 3D AI stuff work with CharacterGridMovement?
    Thanks.

23. reuno

reuno

@TiBiBo > No, they're only for "regular" movement for now.

24. guybro_thunderboots

guybro_thunderboots

Friendly FYI:

In the `MinimalScene3d_InputSystem` example, `UICamera > EventSystem` is missing `Input System UI Input Module` component, which is required for interacting with UI elements. Without it, you can't interact with any of the UI that shows up when you press Escape.

Having said that, it looks like `TopDownEngineInputActions` doesn't have a UI-specific button configuration associated with it.

I worked around this myself by copying the default input actions that come with the package and using them for UI control instead, but the asset should probably do the same so it works out of the box.

25. reuno

reuno

26. dataEcto

dataEcto

Back again- Hello!

I haven't checked too much into this. Is there a way to bypass seeing the Death Splash and respawn after a death animation plays? (Think Celeste when you fall down). Thanks so much

27. reuno

reuno

@dataEcto > Sure, you can simply extend the LevelManager to change its PlayerDead method to implement your own rules. Right now it calls the Death splash, but you could reload the scene instead, for example.

dataEcto likes this.
  28. djbyrne1

djbyrne1

Hi, I just got up an running with the TopDownEngine and so far I love it! great asset. I am currently struggling with editing the melee sword example. Is there a way to change the attack speed of the weapon? When the time control feature is use, the attack is speed up, but I cant seem to find a way to edit its default speed. Could someone point me in the right direction?

29. reuno

reuno

@djbyrne1 > So there are multiple things that can impact the speed, and there are also multiple sword examples, so I'm not sure exactly which one you're after.
    It's usually a good idea to tweak a few parameters, so hopefully that will answer your question :)

- first of all, there's the MeleeWeapon settings, a component on your sword prefab, where you'll be able to tweak a few things that impact the global speed (which is a sum of multiple delays and durations) : the delay before use (before the damage area appears), the time between uses (after a damage area disappeared and before the next time you can hit again), and the active duration (the time during which the damage area is active and applying damage. This is really the "logic" part of your weapon.

- then there's visuals, usually animation. How fast an attack will appear to the user depends a lot on that. How fast it is is entirely up to you, and that's something you'll define when creating your animation. Unity still gives you a bit of control in the animator, where you can specify a Speed multiplier per animation, but it's usually best to not rely on it and just author animations at the correct speed, helps with consistency.

- then there are other things you can use to impact the speed. You mentioned time control to speed things up, but it affects the entire world so it's not without consequences :)

I hope this answers your question!

djbyrne1 likes this.
  30. djbyrne1

djbyrne1

Hey @reuno thank you for your fast and detailed answer! I just realised that I never specified that it was the Minimal3D: Sword example, my bad!

Your suggestions makes sense. I will play around with these settings and try to understand the components a bit better. Thanks,

Donal

reuno likes this.
  31. Ioruko

Ioruko

Hello, @reuno , I've watched your tutorial videos and read the explanations about character abilities and weapons, and I want to know if I had to add a parry/ finisher move to the game, is it better to add it as a character ability or as a melee weapon? The mechanic will look like this: when enemy's state is "Attacking", if the player is in the range and not attacking, they can press a button and perform parry (the enemy gets damaged and possibly killed, if the health is less than specified percentage, and special animation will be played depending on what direction they are facing at the moment). At first I presumed it will be an ability, but now I think it should be a weapon class, what do you think?
    Oh, also I guess the enemy will need a new state (like stagger) while parrying is in progress. Is this the right approach? Sorry, I'm new to programming in general.

32. reuno

reuno

@Ioruko > Both would work. Whether you want to make it an ability or a weapon is mostly a design choice.
    - weapon : can be equipped/unequipped, comes with built-in delays, rate of fire, feedbacks, animation parameters, etc
    - ability : always there, gives you more design freedom than the relatively strict design framework of the Weapon class

33. Ioruko

Ioruko

Thank you for the answer! I see, it would be easier to add it as a weapon class because of the in-built functionality, I guess. Has anyone ever asked you about implementing counter attacks and parry in your system, or am I the first one, @reuno?

34. reuno

reuno

@Ioruko > I've got quite a few requests for a shield mechanic. Counter attacks and parry would be a different system I suppose.

35. frbrz

frbrz

I have some questions:
    1) Can the TopDown Engine (room system) work with a procedural level generation tool like Dungeon Architect?
    2) Do you have any news on your Diablo-like example? Will it include a playable character with a click-to-move controller?

36. reuno

reuno

@frbrz > 1. You could implement procedural generation of rooms working with the rooms system, yes.
    2. No, unfortunately I don't, it's only received a handful of requests so far (compared to hundreds for the top requested features), so it's very low priority at the moment.

37. frbrz

frbrz

A few more:
    1) A playable character is tightly coupled with WASD movement or could be easily refactored?
    2) A Diablo-like example would include more functionality outside of click-to-move?

38. reuno

reuno

@frbrz > 1. I wouldn't say tightly coupled, there's a controller API, you could target it from anything. AIs do that, for example. How easy that'd be would depends on the dev's skill level, it's hard to answer.
    2. Yes, right now a lot would be missing from the engine to do a Diablo like, at least out of the box.

frbrz likes this.
  39. Kumanori

Kumanori

Question regarding the KoalaUiCamera:

I didn't see it in the previous threads, but I'm having an issue with the UI camera, after updating my project to use the 2d lighting render data. Everything is absolutely fine prior to updating it, so I'm assuming it must be an issue with the URP. I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem, but after updating all my project files the UI camera renders the solid background color even if I drop the Alpha or set it to uninitialized.

40. reuno

reuno

41. Kumanori

Kumanori

Quick and easy, that worked; thank you!

reuno likes this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

how to create my own scene by using Topdown engine

take things from demo?

i still don't know how to use the engine

please helps!

43. reuno

reuno

@takumi_cs > Just answered your initial message. You can find the documentation at https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/. It covers all the specifics of the engine, the rest is just regular Unity.
    As for how to create your own scene, I'd recommend starting from the minimal scene. You'll find minimum scene requirements in the documentation.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

one more question

does the corgi engine make a game easier to understand than topdown one?

45. reuno

reuno

@takumi_cs > The Corgi Engine is a framework to let you create sidescrolling platformer games. I wouldn't say it lets you create games that are easier to understand, it's a different genre. I don't know which genre would be easier to understand :) What usually makes games easy to understand (or not) is how you build them, not really the tech that supports them.

46. muddmaster

muddmaster

Is there a score system in the top down engine?
    Trying to put together a simple pacman like game.
    never mine i can use the CoinCounter for my needs;)
    Thanks for making this Awesome assets .

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    reuno likes this.
  47. muddmaster

muddmaster

I can't get the CoinCounter to add points in 3D .
    maybe I'm missing something
    any tips on how to get it to work.

48. reuno

reuno

@muddmaster > There's no CoinCounter class in the engine, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    The Grasslands demo has a CoinCounter text comp in its HUD, all it does is display points. That's unrelated to 2D or 3D, it's just a display.
    If your issue persists, please use the support form and provide more info about what exactly you're doing, and what exactly is not working, and how, I'll be happy to assist you.

49. muddmaster

muddmaster

that's all i want to do is display points
    i can pickup the coin but it does not add the points in the text comp in the HUD
    later today i will make a video and email it to you

50. SwatHound

SwatHound

Hello Reuno. first I want to say, thank you very much for all your hard work. This engine is a blessing to us who have not mastered coding and programming.

I am having some issues with melee.

I want to be able to press attack , 3 times in 1 second. -- But I want the system to acknowledge that I have pressed 3 attacks, and play out the 3 animations.

But right now, if I press 3 attacks in 1 second, It only does the first attack, and it feels "very clunky" to me.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?