Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

@wisteriasky > It's hard (if not impossible) to tell what your issues may be from that video. But I'd recommend looking at the characters in the Grasslands demo, I think that'll fix both of your problems.

2. TokyoArcades

TokyoArcades

Hi

I have an issue with movement in Top Down. I’m using the Grasslands demo as example. Basically when moving diagonally (e.g. pressing SD and letting go using keyboard/joypad) the character does not finish the movement on release, but it continues the movement sideways, following (wild guess) the very last direction pressed.

What I have tried:

-2 different keyboards (Logitech keyboard and apple keyboard), 2 different joypads (xbox controller and a compatible controller).

-turning off “smooth movement in the cameraUI”

-changing the dead zone and sensitivity values in the Input Manager (dead zone up to 2, sensitivity down to 0.1 etc) but the problem still persists.

Has anyone fixed this somehow? How?

Below a video of example, pressing the diagonals has the character going always sideways at the end.

3. reuno

reuno

@TokyoArcades > The animation controller will simply blend towards the latest pressed direction. If you were to debug your output, you'd notice you're (likely) not releasing both directions at once, but indeed inputting last whatever direction your character ends up in. That's the expected behaviour here. You can change it by implementing a different animator, this one is just an example. As for movement itself, you'll probably want to turn on AnalogInput on your CharacterMovement ability,

4. TokyoArcades

TokyoArcades

@reuno
    I am not talking about the animation in my previous post, but the movement. Turning on AnalogInput does not seem to fix the issue. By the way, the same occurs in the Minimal3DSandbox and Loft scenes. I've posted some videos below to further clarify the issue. The videos show Minimal3D, Loft, and Character Controller Pro as comparison, the last one sharing the exact same Input Manager settings (sensitivity, dead zone etc.) as Top Down.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  5. reuno

reuno

@TokyoArcades > It's hard to tell what your problem could be just from what videos where you film your screen :) That last video just looks like a higher threshold to me.
    I don't seem to reproduce the problem on my end, nor has it ever been reported, I'm not sure what could cause this.
    The engine exposes plenty of options, that will let you go all the way from raw input to fully processed input. As far as I know they provide full control to get any result you want.
    Have you looked at your input data? Is it any different?
    If your issue persists, please send me exact context info and steps to reproduce via the support form, and I'll be happy to have a look.

6. TokyoArcades

TokyoArcades

@reuno Not sure what what you mean by "higher threshold", anyway all the videos were done using 2019.4 LTS, fresh project install+ fresh unity install, same input manager settings (default, untouched). To reproduce it, as said in the first post, just open one of the scenes mentioned and go diagonal with the keyboard and release the keys. =Press SD and release your fingers from the keys, or AW and release. The character goes diagonal and then sideways for a bit. I'll try to investigate a bit more if it happens to others too and let you know.

7. reuno

reuno

@TokyoArcades > Yes, if you use default settings, and don't release SD exactly at the same frame, as I explained above, your character will move in the last input direction. That's the expected behaviour, and debugging your inputs will show you that.

But there are plenty of settings to control that if you prefer a different behaviour, and they will let you tweak movement to whatever you want. Here are a few :
    - higher deceleration on CharacterMovement (100 for example should be enough to prevent the behaviour you want to avoid)
    - analog input, interpolate movement speed on/off on that same class
    - input manager settings (gravity, dead, sensitivity)
    - smooth movement on the InputManager

So again, please use the support form to report this if the issue persists (https://topdown-engine.moremountains.com/topdown-engine-contact), and I'll get back to you quickly.

8. johnedvard

johnedvard

Hello, and thanks for making a wonderful engine/framework. I'm new to the engine and just got started, so the following question might be a trivial thing. How should I listen for input events on gameObjects that is not my player?

I am creating a game where other gameObjects need to listen for input events. Currently, the only way I know how to make my gameObject listen for an Input event, is to:
    1. Add the `Character` script to my gameObject
    2. Set it to be a player (not AI), and give it id: `Player1`
    3. Create a new script which extends `CharacterAbility`
    4. Override the `HandleInput()` function, and call `base.HandleInput()`
    5. Start processing the input events and do custom logic
    Is this the correct way to do it? Is there another way that's better? It would be neat to follow the pattern where you e.g. implement an `MMEventListener<MMInputEvent>`, and use the `OnMMEvent` function to process the input.

9. reuno

reuno

@johnedvard > For objects that are not the player, I'd simply poll the Unity input API directly, no need to go through the InputManager, and adding a Character script to non-character objects sounds like a bad idea (it'll work, but it's just not what it's designed for). This would be better : https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Input.GetButton.html.

10. johnedvard

johnedvard

@reuno Wow, thanks for the prompt reply! That sounds like a much better approach! Will this method also work if I press the "Jump" button on an Xbox-controller, Switch-controller, Nice Touch and so on? Or would I have to create code to process those events separately?

11. reuno

reuno

@johnedvard > This reads input as defined in the Unity's Input settings (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-InputManager.html). It will work for gamepad as long as you define axis for them. It won't magically for Nice Touch, which is a separate system (it's not using the Input API, it's mobile buttons). For these you'll have to bind your buttons to whatever methods you want to call, as explained in the dedicated documentation.

johnedvard likes this.
  12. johnedvard

johnedvard

I see. Thanks again and for the references as well. I really appreciate it. Cheers.

13. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

i try to implement Loot,
    and loot has two condition (spawn loot on death and spawn loot on Damage),
    i already follow the documentation, but the problem is spawn loot on death not working, but spawn loot on Damage working well,
    any suggestion please?

14. reuno

reuno

@rendi_unity > It's hard to tell what your issue may be without any info about what you're doing. If your issue persists, please provide (exact, written) repro steps via the support form, and I'll be happy to have a look.

15. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

i already found the solution,
    in Health Component, need to setup value in Delay Before Destruction. in my case i set to 0.1

Thank you for your response @reuno ..

reuno likes this.
  16. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just pushed v2.0 of the TopDown Engine to the store. As usual, this update fixes all known issues to date, adds procedural generation, new sound management, and brings with it the recent updates of MMFeedbacks, Nice Touch and Inventory Engine.

Full release notes :

- Adds the MMTilemapLevelGenerator, which will let you generate tilemaps with seeded randomness, with a ton of options to get interesting results
    - Adds the KoalaProceduralTilemap demo scene, which demonstrates how you can use tilemap generation to create infinitely unique levels
    - Adds the new version of MMFeedbacks, packed with a ton of new content
    - Adds the MMSoundManager, a brand new sound manager packed with features and optimized for performance. It'll let you play/stop/pause/resume/manage sounds, with a massive amount of (optional) parameters. It comes with built-in pooling, audio mixer support, ready made tracks (master, music, sfx, UI), track controls to mute/pause/etc entire tracks, save and load mechanics, fades, solo mode, and a very pretty inspector.
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Sound Feedback, that lets you play a sound with full control over its settings
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Sound Control Feedback, which lets you play/pause/resume/stop/free a specific sound
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Sound Fade Feedback, to fade a specific sound to a destination volume
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Track Control Feedback, to play/pause/resume/stop/free an entire track at once
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Track Fade Feedback, to fade an entire track to a destination volume
    - Adds the MMSoundManager Save & Load Feedback, to save or load sound settings without a line of code
    - Adds the MMSoundManager All Sounds Control Feedback, to control all sounds playing in the MMSoundManager at once
    - Adds the CharacterRotateCamera ability, that lets you rotate the camera on the vertical axis (z in 2D, y in 3D) around your character. Comes with options to also rotate input to match the camera's direction, and a dedicated aim option for weapons. Adds an example of that in the Loft3D demo scene (use L and M to rotate the camera).
    - Adds the AimMarker component, that you can use in conjunction with WeaponAutoAim to display an aim marker on, next to, or around your target. Adds an example of it in action in the Colonel demo scene.
    - Adds the Damage Dash 2D and 3D abilities, and examples of it on the Colonel and RotatingKoala playable characters
    - Adds the MMFeedbackTopDownEngineFloatingText, that lets you display damage text from a Health component, and an example of that in the blue rectangles at the start of the Loft3D demo scene
    - Adds the AIActionReload action, that lets you reload your AI's weapon on demand
    - Adds the AIDecisionReloadNeeded decision, that will let you know if a weapon is empty or not
    - Adds the PatrolSeekAndDestroyReloadingAI prefab, demonstrating how you can factor reload AI decisions and actions into your AI Brain setup
    - Adds the MMInputExecution helper, a class used to store MMInputExecution bindings, associating a target keycode to UnityEvents
    - Adds MMFaderDirectional, a new type of fader that slides a panel from or to the top/left/bottom/right
    - Adds the MMAdditiveLoadingScreen, a new loading manager, that offers plenty of options and events for full customization
    - Adds Teleporter support to Grid movement, in both 2D and 3D, and examples of that in both minimal grid scenes
    - Adds AIActionMoveAwayFromTarget2D and AIActionMoveAwayFromTarget3D, actions that let your AI character move away from its target, up to a specified MaxDistance
    - Adds magnetic objects system, and examples of that in the KoalaDungeon and MinimalSandbox3D demo scenes. The system lets you have objects get attracted to other objects, useful for loot for example
    - Adds MMSceneName, a simple component that displays the current scene name
    - Adds an option to the GridMovement ability to work with normalized input, providing better controls when using touch input
    - Adds a new Curve mode to MMWiggle
    - Adds a public method to Projectile to set its damage output directly, and also exposes its associated DamageOnTouch component for easier access
    - Adds an option to AIActionShoot2D to pick various points of origin to consider when determining aim direction
    - Adds options to the AI Shoot actions to specify what HandleWeapon ability to pilot
    - Adds dead zone support for slope reticles
    - Adds an option to Teleporters to have their fades ignore timescale.
    - Adds MMFeedbacks hooks to WeaponAutoAim
    - Adds an option to CharacterSwap to reset an associated AI Brain on swap
    - Adds xVelocity, yVelocity and zVelocity animation parameters for all Characters
    - Adds DashDirectionX, DashDirectionY and DashDirectionZ float animation parameters to Dash2D and Dash3D
    - Adds support for HDR colors to the ShaderController
    - Adds support for circle colliders for 2D characters, and an example of that on the Koala2D
    - Adds an optional ReferenceTransform slot to AIDecisionDetectTargetLine2D to support rotating characters/models.
    - Adds a faster variant of the LoftSword, which is now the default weapon in the MinimalSword3D demo scene
    - Adds the RandomConstant animation parameter to the Chracter class, a random int (between 0 and 1000), generated at Start and that'll remain constant for the entire lifetime of this animator, useful to have different characters of the same type
    - Improves concurrent input management for grid based movement, allowing for more fluid and natural input sequences
    - The LoadingSceneManager is renamed to MMSceneLoadingManager
    - Adds a new, mandatory damage direction parameter to Health's Damage method
    - MMHealthBar's initialization now happens at Awake
    - Adds extra security checks to AIActionAimWeaponAtMovement
    - LayerMasks are now automatically initalized
    - AnimatorExtensions methods now use hashsets instead of lists
    - WeaponAmmo.EnoughAmmoToFire() is now virtual
    - Adds extra sanity checks to MMProgressBar's OnEnable
    - Renames multiple assets in the Demos folders for consistency
    - Adds an option to the Character class to avoid performing sanity checks on the existence of animation parameters
    - Fixes a bug that could cause a character's collider to not resize properly when running while crouching and only releasing the run button.
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent the DetectTargetRadius2D decision to work correctly when obstacle detection was turned off
    - Fixes a bug preventing auto ID attribution on MultiplayerLevelManager
    - Fixes a few directional bugs with damage caused knockback
    - Fixes manager coordinates in the Minimal2DGrid demo scene
    - Fixes magazine based, auto reload, prevent movement enabled weapon blocking movement while auto reloading.
    - Fixes a bug that would let the player jump while crouching in a tunnel
    - Fixes a bug that could cause a 2D grid based character to get stuck between grid units when stressing the controls.
    - Fixes a typo in the HornsSword prefab's horizontal attachment offset
    - Reverts an overridden offset model transform within the first ninja on the left in the KoalaDungeo demo scene
    - Fixes a layer order in the Startscreen demo scene
    - Fixes a bug that would cause issues with fixedDeltaTime in MMTimeManager
    - Adds a missing decorator on the Weapon's inspector
    - Fixes a bug that could cause the wrong fader to be called upon by the LevelManager
    - Fixes non-zero z indexes on some level props in Grasslands and some Minimal2D demo scenes
    - Loading ammo into a weapon's magazine now removes from the inventory stock first
    - Fixes missing droppable prefabs on Loft3D's ammo items
    - Fixes a bug that would cause mouse driven dash to not aim correctly when working far from zero on the y axis
    - Fixes a typo in MMConeOfVision
    - Fixes a bug that could cause initial facing direction in 2D on certain AIs to not apply correctly.
    - Fixes a bug that could cause the mouse cursor to remain hidden when unequipping a reticle powered weapon from the inventory panel.
    - Fixes CharacterAbility not looking for a Health component in parent, preventing some split nodes setups.
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent a scene reticle used with 3D weapon aim to rotate when in stick to slopes mode
    - Adds the LoftAISword, an example of a 3D melee weapon an AI can wield
    - Sets the InitialSpawnPoint on the LevelManager in the MinimalScene3D demo scene
    - Adds obstacles layout to MinimalGrid2D
    - Adds TextMeshPro to the bundled dependencies. It's completely optional, feel free to remove it if you don't intend on using it.
    - Adds Inventory Engine v2.0
    - Adds MMFeedbacks v2.0
    - Adds Nice Touch v1.5

The forum wouldn't let me put all the MMFeedbacks/NiceTouch/InventoryEngine updates in that same post, don't hesitate to go check their respective release notes.

And as usual, expect a few days until the update is live, while Unity validates the update.

17. ifhd

ifhd

congratulation reuno on 2.0

I was wondering if i can use Dungeon Maker by Antipixel to make the Dungeons? its currently part of the mega bundle

How is the procedural generation in 2.0?

Just updated to 2.0. update is live

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  18. reuno

reuno

@ifhd > I don't know about that specific asset (never used it myself), but as long as your levels conform to the engine's specs (colliders, layers, etc), you can build them any way you want. The new update shows an example of procedural generation, you can look at it for reference.

19. ifhd

ifhd

Thanks,
    I have two concerns. I'm worried that using too many assets will bug the Engine and that I will be forced to upgrade to 2020.3.7 or higher. Since it the minimal Supported Unity versions for Dungeon Maker

I tested the KoalaProceduralTilemap and found it interesting. I still could not figure how to spawn enemies or items

20. reuno

reuno

@ifhd > Why would you be forced to use 2020.3.7?

As for spawning stuff, it can be done like in any other project. You can look at examples of it throughout the demo scenes, the Minimal 2D Sandbox for example's got a timed spawner. There's also a loot system, and more :)

21. ifhd

ifhd

about the new Damage on Dash in 2.0. I saw that it had more options from the one in corgi. Will corgi get the update? I also noticed that KoalaRotating dose not have DamageOnTouch script attached to him. is it not needed? I also would love to be able to phase through the enemy instead of the knockback

thank you for adding this ability. I was trying to add it in corgi engine but it did not work. I end up taking damage by touching the enemy. I didn't think the invincibility frames are working even after increasing the time

Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG 1.JPG

22. reuno

reuno

@ifhd > You can phase through enemies by simply disabling the Health component. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to use the support form.

23. ko-de

ko-de

@reuno Congratulations to v2.0. One question: Is there any button on mobile to open the inventory for example in the loft3d demo? I managed to implement one by myself but just want to make sure iam not missing something. I also tried to add the mm-touch-button component to the weapon-inventory ui in the top right as this is where I would expect it to open as a player but it seems it does not work so I changed one of the predefined buttons like a, b and added the call to open the inventory...

24. reuno

reuno

@ko-de > No, I don't think there is in any demo, but you got the right idea. Create/duplicate a button, set it to target the InventoryInputManager's open/close or toggle methods.

ko-de likes this.
  25. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Hi Reuno I'm glad you have the new update up! :) However, I have tested making a build and in the start screen SETTINGS , I had the sound/music on/off to the desired setting and pressed save assuming it will save the sound configuration. I exited the build and then reload the build file and the save settings for the sound/music on/off and it didnt appear to save.
    Am I missing something or is there something new in this version of the engine I need to manually add?
    Thankssss

26. reuno

reuno

@AKAGT17 > I may have forgotten the save call :) Right now it won't save to file, and that's why it won't save if you exit a build. It'll be fixed in the next release, thanks for having mentioned this!

27. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hi is 2.0 already available on store ? im trying to update asset, it shows in store its 2.0 but when i import asset from store its still 1.10.1 after i download asset. New features like AimMaker are not included.

28. reuno

reuno

29. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hi im running 2020.1.17f1 and I need to stick with that version but until TDE 2.0 every time i downloaded into this version it downloaded latest, only at 2.0 it doesnt. Thanks

30. reuno

reuno

31. Tretiak

Tretiak

Okay i deleted asset store cache and now it downloaded 2.0! thanks !

32. reuno

reuno

@Felinsky > I'm glad it's working now, thanks for letting me know!

Tretiak likes this.
  33. ko-de

ko-de

@reuno Is it possible to extend GUIManager? I'm trying to extend GUIManager class as GUIManagerX class but it seems its impossible because GUIManager inherites from MMSingleton<GUIManager>. I think it would work if it would just inherit from GUIManager directly. I want to have my GUIManagerX attached to the UICamera instead of GUIManager and show the key/vals from GUIManager + my new defined In GUIManagerX. Any examples of how to extend a singleton class or its root class?

34. reuno

reuno

35. ko-de

ko-de

@reuno Oh no, i was missing the casting in the end. Great documentation… my fault :p

36. ko-de

ko-de

@reuno Im trying to add to health (regenerate) over time, currently using something like ...Add(health * Time.deltaTime) in update. It works - but I'm not sure if there is something better to work with in the framework. It should take time-slowdown and pause into account if possible. Thank you in advance

37. reuno

reuno

@ko-de > That's how it's done, simply using the Health API methods.

38. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

@reuno , how to implement Attack Animation on character while doing attack? because there is no Attack Parameter in your Animation Parameters

39. reuno

reuno

40. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

@reuno , how to make enemy health bar always facing on the camera? i'm using MMHealthbar - Drawn in 3D character.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  41. reuno

reuno

42. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

@reuno , i try using AIBrain, in first state Action i setup AIActionRotateTowardTarget3D to see the Target, but not working, any suggestion please?

43. reuno

reuno

@rendi_unity > Please use the support form, and provide more context than that, that's not enough for me to tell you what you're doing wrong, thanks.

44. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

ok, please check your email support,, thank you.

45. reuno

reuno

@rendi_unity > I do that pretty much constantly, but thanks for the advice :)
    I don't think I got any question related to AIActionRotateTowardTarget3D recently though, how did you send your message?

46. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

47. reuno

reuno

@rendi_unity > Yes, that's the one. I get 50 or so requests a day via this form. Not sure why yours wouldn't go through, it's unheard of. Make sure you press the Send button.

48. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

i already send you email twice but i didn't receive your email, i think better we discus here.
    my problem is how the right way using AIActionRotateTowardsTarget3D, because i need the enemy always look on the target.
    and this is the screenshots my Enemy3D-inspector:

49. reuno

reuno

@rendi_unity > Ok when I asked for more context, I meant what are you doing, in what version of the engine/Unity, and what is the problem exactly, not an avalanche of screenshots :) Please, just written steps of what you're doing, and how I could reproduce your problem in any of the demos will be enough, thanks. You can also look at pretty much every enemies in the 3D demos for reference, they all behave like that already.

50. rendi_unity

rendi_unity

Ok, What am i doing is, i try to create enemy to rotate on target only, not MoveToward to target.
    TopDownEngine Version 1.10.1 / Unity3D 2020.3.1f1,
    The problem is, AIActionRotateTowardsTarget3D not working but AIActionMoveTowardsTarget3D is working well.

Steps:
    1. I create Two Cube,
    2. Rename it to "Enemy" and "Player",
    3. in Enemy and Player i add Character component,
    4. Player:
    > in Character component i click AutoBuild Player Character3D
    > Character component > Model > add Player Object
    > Character Orientation 3D component > Movement Rotating Model > add Player Object
    5. Enemy:
    > in Character component i click AutoBuild AI Character 3D
    > Character orientation 3D component > Rottaion Mode > Both
    > Character orientation 3D component > Movement Rotating Model > Add Enemy object
    > Add component AIActionDoNothing
    > Add compoennt AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius3D
    > Add Component AIActionRotateTowardsTarget3D
    > Add component AIActionMoveTowardsTarget3D
    > Add component AIBrain

6. Enemy > AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius3D > Radius = 5
    7. Enemy > AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius3D > Target Layer Mask = Player

8. Enemy > AIBrain > See details in screenshot

in State Rotate, if i change Action to AIActionMoveTowardsTarget3D it will working, but if i change to AIActionRotateTowardsTarget3D it will not working.

what do you think @reuno , this is clear enough to make you understand about my problem?