Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. spinape

spinape

88DD3BBC-81DB-408D-97B0-A6122CD0C507.gif
    I’m thinking something like this. If I can achieve this with the particle system then that works, but I kinda doubt it . Of course the effect will have an alpha transparency to sit overtop of the model

2. reuno

reuno

@spinape > That right here is a particle effect :)
    I'd suggest using the particle system for it, that's what it's designed for.

3. spinape

spinape

Just had a look. I didn’t know the unity particle system had that range. I will use that, thanks. I’m sitting on my computer animating every 16 bit frame . I should use these modern tools to my advantage. I guess the same goes for punching motion tracers, I’m sure I can use the particle system for that too

reuno likes this.
  4. reuno

reuno

@spinape > You can technically use an animator for these, but it's gonna be way cheaper performance-wise to use particles.

5. Dasheer

Dasheer

I am trying to build my APK but i get the same error all the time i cant figure it out, anyone have any thoughts?

Exception: Failed running C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.1f1\Editor\Data\il2cpp/build/BeeSettings/offline/bee.exe --useprebuiltbuildprogram --no-colors

stdout:
    [ ] Require frontend run. tundra.dag no longer valid. FileSignature timestamp changed: il2cpp_settings.json
    [ 0s] Executed build program. Created build graph with 2 nodes.
    [ 0s] Freezing tundra.dag.json into .dag (.dag file didn't exist)
    *** Bee build failed (0.10 seconds), 0 items updated, 2 evaluated
    stderr:

UnityEditorInternal.Runner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.Runner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, System.Action`1[T] setupStartInfo) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder.RunIl2CppWithArguments (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] arguments, System.Action`1[T] setupStartInfo, System.String generatedCppOutputDirectory) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder.ConvertPlayerDlltoCpp (UnityEditor.Il2Cpp.Il2CppBuildPipelineData data, System.String outputDirectory, System.Boolean platformSupportsManagedDebugging) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder.Run () (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils.RunIl2Cpp (System.String tempFolder, System.String stagingAreaData, UnityEditorInternal.IIl2CppPlatformProvider platformProvider, System.Action`1[T] modifyOutputBeforeCompile, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry runtimeClassRegistry) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.RunIl2Cpp.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <5cf84f2cc5134566935b135856517214>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) (at <5cf84f2cc5134566935b135856517214>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at <5cf84f2cc5134566935b135856517214>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args, UnityEditor.BuildProperties& outProperties) (at <5cf84f2cc5134566935b135856517214>:0)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

and:
    Build completed with a result of 'Failed' in 147 seconds (146990 ms)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

and:
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x002ca] in <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in <1e441e8684a14fe4b8f8a926d91afc3a>:0
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

6. christougher

christougher

@reuno Hi, have you had a chance to look at getting dashing in 3D to carry on momentum alongside the wall if you hit it at an angle, much like it does in the 2D examples? Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  7. reuno

reuno

@Dasheer > That's a Unity error, it's unrelated to the engine. Maybe try with a more stable version of Unity. I'd suggest the latest 2019.4 instead, but I'm not sure it'll solve your issue. It seems common enough, googling it returns a lot of threads (see https://stackoverflow.com/questions...p-doesnt-dompile-upgraded-project-2020-02-0b6 for example), but didn't find a solution. If it persists in 2019.4, I'd recommend reporting it to Unity.
    @christougher > Not yet I haven't, but it's on the todo list though. Looks like it's only ever got one vote so far.

8. christougher

christougher

I guess I better take a crack at it then! :)

Also I can't remember, did you recently add a dash attack somewhere?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  9. reuno

reuno

@christougher > No, there's no dash attack, but I can add one, it'd be quick.
    Let me know if you need help with any of these!

10. christougher

christougher

I think a lot of people would love a dash attack.

reuno likes this.
  11. reuno

reuno

@christougher > They should use the support form to request it then! :)

12. spinape

spinape

I’m having issues with Jump 3D. My game is only 2.5d, so when the character jumps I want to lock the z axis. Only being able to move along axis x and y. I’ve been trying to just set _controller.Velocity.z = 0f once the jump is active. Not getting any results. Any thoughts on this? I’m likely handling the motion vector wrong

13. reuno

reuno

@spinape > No, you can't set the velocity like that, that won't work.
    It'd be easier to create a new class that simply moves on x and y, instead of altering one designed for 3D.
    Or if you're looking for a 2D gameplay maybe simply go with the 2D ability instead.
    But I'm not sure what you mean by 2.5d gameplay for a top down game, maybe if you could clarify what you're going for I'd be able to point you in the right direction.

14. spinape

spinape

It’s a beat em up. So think final fight, streets of rage, Tmnt arcade game. Now I went with 3D mode because top down 2D doesn’t have an actual jump.

It’s really just a temporary constraint only while jumping.

15. reuno

reuno

@spinape > Ah ok, well then for final fight/TMNT/etc I'd strongly recommend going with 2D, not 3D.
    Implementing an alternate 2D jump ability will be much easier than bending the entirety of the engine against its design :) Most 2D top down games handle jump via animation only, that's why it's implemented in this way at the moment, but if you need more, don't hesitate to use the support form to request it.

16. spinape

spinape

Ok that helps. I’m going to try to mess around with the 2D space a bit then. I wasn’t totally sure which one to go with.

reuno likes this.
  17. spinape

spinape

So making a jump in 2D space does make sense. Just create another layer called inair. The collides shouldn’t be an issue. The thing I’m wondering is about the jump itself . Do a take the y position at the base of the character and create a temporary platform with physics at that point? I want to be able to jump and move along the x axis as well as attack in the air. Can I fake all of the physics with the animator alone? This is where I’m feeling stumped. Thanks

18. reuno

reuno

@spinape > You can handle that with the animator, or simply evaluate your y position along an animation curve. There are almost as many approaches to these jumps as there are beat em all games, but these two would be the easiest to implement.

19. spinape

spinape

Perfect, thanks! It does seem like this is the way it’s commonly done.

reuno likes this.
  20. caprisunpepper

caprisunpepper

Hi, I'm looking into TopDown engine as I've already bought Corgi engine but realized I want some top down sections in my game. Would it be possible to switch between Corgi and TopDown engines /character controllers between scenes or something like that?

21. reuno

reuno

@caprisunpepper > As explained in the FAQ (https://topdown-engine.moremountains.com/topdown-engine-contact#faq) :

Can I mix this with the Infinite Runner Engine, Highroad Engine or the Corgi Engine into just one project?

All of these assets are what Unity considers "Complete Projects". That means that they come with their own dependencies, and their own project settings (input, most importantly, but also layers, tags, etc). All of these assets were designed to be foundations on their own, not to be used together. It's of course possible to do so, but you'll have to do some refactoring, and this is not officially supported (it'd be impossible to maintain compatibility across all assets at all times). If you decide to do so, I'd recommend unifying MMTools and input first, the rest should be pretty straightforward.

caprisunpepper likes this.
  22. SuperMarioT

SuperMarioT

Hi @reuno,

I absolutely LOVE your engine. It has made my life so much easier and is what actually motivated me to start game developing. I have read most if not all the documentation offered on your inventory engine, however I'm still stuck so any help would be wonderful. I'm using the TopDownEngine Version 1.10.1 and Unity 2020.1.10f1 if that is any help. Here is what I'm trying to create:
    - A main inventory with 8 slots, item description, moveable and droppable items, that can be open or closed with a button press (basically what you already provide in your engine, almost no problems here)
    - A hotbar with 7 slots that is always on screen, it can scroll through items and the selected item is automatically equipped. Items can be moved between this hotbar and the main inventory, but can only be used when selected/equipped in the hotbar (using the LMB - left mouse button)
    - A gun hotbar with 7 slots that is also always on screen, it can scroll through guns and the selected one is automatically equipped. Guns CANNOT be moved between this hotbar and any other inventory and the only way to interact with this hotbar is by holding the RMB (right mouse button), disabling all other inventories, while either using the scrolling wheel (to scroll through guns), pressing LMB to shoot or pressing R to reload

I hope this made sense and you can help me in any way possible. The hotbars are what I struggle on and my guess so far is the player needs more inventories for all the separate hotbars, but I'm not sure how to move items between inventories or link two different inventories in any way. Again, I've been trying lots of different options so far and nothing really worked, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS. I have sent you an email before on your Support Form page, but you didn't reply so I don't know if you didn't receive it. Hope you see this one! :)

23. reuno

reuno

@SuperMarioT > I don't have any unanswered support requests at the moment. Maybe you didn't input the correct email for me to reply to. To answer your question, there are no "hotbars" like the ones you describe in the engine at the moment, it's something you'd have to implement. It's not as much a hotbar (as defined in the Inventory Engine) as it is regular UI at this point. But in any case, that's not a built-in feature, I'd create a dedicated class to handle that.

24. SuperMarioT

SuperMarioT

Thank you for replying! I've also been playing with the idea of making my own inventory and linking that inventory to the player, but again not sure how to do that. As for your reply, what exactly would I make my dedicated classes handle specifically?

25. reuno

reuno

@SuperMarioT > You'd need to create a class (or a set of class) to handle your specific rules, typically exactly what you described above. There's no such thing already built-in right now.

26. SuperMarioT

SuperMarioT

Thank you!

reuno likes this.
  27. frattapa

frattapa

Hi! Has anyone tried to use the pixel perfect camera with the split screen scene? I've been trying but the screen becomes completely black, and if I change the resolution it starts working oddly.

Any help is appreciated.
    Filippo

28. reuno

reuno

29. bmanLA

bmanLA

Hello,
    I am making a projectile weapon and I have followed all of your instructions in the tutorial, but it appears that my weapon will not flip. I checked and the flip box is checked, but it still won't flip the weapon when it reaches the correct point.
    Any Suggestions?? They are appreciated.

30. reuno

reuno

@bmanLA > I suppose you must have missed a step, as it'd flip otherwise :)
    It's hard to tell what could cause it without more details though. Maybe you could compare with any of the demo weapons, the ones in the Koala demo for example.
    If your issue persists, don't hesitate to send me steps to reproduce your problem via the support form, I'll be happy to help you figure it out!

31. bmanLA

bmanLA

Thank you! Will do!

32. bmanLA

bmanLA

I figured it out the issue wasn't with the weapon at all. I had accidentally set the character orientation to the wrong setting so now it flips and the character movement looks better.

33. reuno

reuno

@bmanLA > I'm glad it's working now, thanks for letting me know.

34. VP_no1

VP_no1

How can I make it work with URP in Unity 2020 ?
    The solution I found here and on deocumentation do not work.

35. reuno

reuno

@VP_no1 > What exactly do you mean by "the solution on documentation do not work"?
    What happens exactly? Did you try these steps? https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/#can-i-use-urp-with-the-topdown-engine

If your issue persists, please send more info via the support form (what exact version of Unity you're on, what version of the asset - it's in the readme, and what exactly you're doing and what the outcome is), I'll be happy to help you.

36. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

Are there perhaps any tips from anyone who has successfully implemented Rewired into the TDE? Ive tried everything, Ive looked at Rewired's implementation of Corgi, all I am able to get working are the Primary and Secondary Movement Axis by using ReInput.players.GetPlayer(PlayerID).GetAxis instead of Input.GetAxis inside the SetMovement and SetSecondaryMovement functions. However when I try to use the Rewired equivalent for the buttons (GetButton, GetButtonDown, GetButtonUp) none of the inputs pick up Ive tried setting the buttonIDs in MMInput. Please any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

37. TonyLi

TonyLi

TDE's discord server channel has two stickied posts on how to integrate Rewired, including screenshots and example code/scenes.

Skermunkel and reuno like this.
  38. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

Oh WOW!, ok awesome! Thanks so much for the heads up!

Do you perhaps know where on the Discord Server cause the only sticky post I can find is for ControlFreak2?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    reuno likes this.
  39. plufz

plufz

Hi reuno!

Extreme beginner questions here. Hope you can bear with me.

1) When testing the demo app for mac (since I havent yet bought the asset) I get extremely low FPS (4-13 FPS) on all demos on a macbook pro 13" 2018 with intel integrated gpu. I know this is looong from a gaming rig but I thought something like this would run decently, especially since most of the demos dont have that many objects. I have tested some other 3d unity games which seems to run better. Is this bad fps just from unity rendering or does it have anything to do with the performance of the topdown engine?

2) Is there a demo game or real game using the 3d engine available for iOS so I can test performance on iphone and ipad before buying?

3) I'm struggling finding documentation on the dialog classes. Can I read more about it somewhere? Does it for example support dialog trees where the player can select different responses and events triggered by chosing different options?

Thanks for you time!

Regards,
    Emil

40. reuno

reuno

41. RaviRK

RaviRK

Hi, how to make the AI reload once a while instead of shooting at the player continuously. I tried to make the enemy AI gun to be magazine-based. he shoots till magazine end and won't reload do we need to create an inventory for each enemy to achieve this?
    Please comment on this. Thank you.

42. reuno

reuno

@RaviRK > No need for an inventory, but you'd need to tell your AI to reload if you want it to reload.
    Right now there's no AI action for it, and no AI decision to know when to reload either.
    These are two things I've already added to the next release though, along with a new AI prefab demonstrating that.
    Don't hesitate to use the support form if you need them before the next release.

43. bdae

bdae

Flicker is not working for sprites. Based off all the other issues I've had so far, I'm going to assume this is also caused by UniversalRP. Is there a way to fix this?

44. reuno

reuno

@bdae > My recommendation would be to not use URP, it's not production ready, and you'll run into plenty of issues with it. It's fun and fine to experiment with it, but using it in production at the moment is very risky.

45. Sofiel

Sofiel

you may want to lower the quality in the project settings. This will help get some FPS Worked for me with an integrated amd gpu both for the top down and corgi engine. It’s got nothing to do with the engine by the way. You can get your graphics to look nice once you’re done with development.

reuno likes this.
  46. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

Hi reuno.
    I have try to do this senario:
    player trigger (enter) to the zone. so i try to disable the Run ability (I try disable component, false ability permitted, stop run function call) all of them not working properly.
    if player was running, and trigger to the zone. he can continue Running.

in the other hand, if player enter the zone. then stop, then try to move again he will not run.

is there function i should call or anyway to fix this problem? Thanks.

47. reuno

reuno

@SarhanSoft > I suppose you forgot to call this one :
    upload_2021-2-3_13-32-33.png
    If you have more questions, please use the support form, thanks.

48. RaviRK

RaviRK

Hi, @reuno Are you planning to include a grenade-throwing mechanism for Loft 3D. I tried to use the ThrownObjectScript, modified it a bit so that I can use that as a projectile for a gun. Didn't work as planned. can you please suggest any method?

49. reuno

reuno

@RaviRK > I suppose the way I'd do it would be to extend the Projectile class, add a rigidbody and physics behaviour, and (for a grenade) a countdown that makes it instantiate a DamageOnTouch zone when it reaches zero. Don't hesitate to use the support form to request features though!

50. bdae

bdae

How do I go about creating and adding my own loot table? I read the documentation but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I noticed the loot table in the koala2d demo was a scriptable object, but I have no idea how to work with those. I tried clicking it open it thinking I could just modify the items inside but that didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021