Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

@nichjaim > Again, please use the support form for support questions like that, thanks!

2. Malaussene

Malaussene

Well I finally had some time to work on the 2D bouncing projectile.
    This is what I've come up with...

https://pastebin.com/1BQVh6rB

It's not polished, it's not efficient I guess.. but it works just fine with a proper collider setup.
    Anyway, I bet once @reuno will come up with his implementation, it will make me feel just dumb (codewise at least :D)

reuno likes this.
  3. reuno

reuno

@Malaussene > Don't say that, if it works for you it's good :)

Malaussene likes this.
  4. nichjaim

nichjaim

Are you talking about the Contact page on the engine's website?

5. reuno

reuno

6. cousinehy

cousinehy

For Topdown Engine can I create Simple AI and Player that is only a simple box without animation in both 3D and 2D?

7. reuno

reuno

@cousinehy > Oh you absolutely can. Animations are completely optional. You'll actually find ready-made "simple box" demo characters in both 2D and 3D.

8. cousinehy

cousinehy

I see , thank you for the answer. In Topdown Engine is it possible to make the camera like First Person by adjusting the camera?

9. reuno

reuno

@cousinehy > While everything is technically possible, I wouldn't recommend using a top down solution to create a FPS :)

10. cousinehy

cousinehy

I understand that you don't want to recommend using a Top-down Engine solution to create a FPS. I already have other FPS like Dark Tree, UFPS, and Third person shooter but still, I think this topdown is best for me to turn into First Person because the Top down engine has good for performance and giving me a bunch for simple features to make a 5 simple game. I like the dialogue zones v1.8 update

Thank you.

reuno likes this.
  11. lcizzle

lcizzle

With the built-in renderer being depreciated do you have plans to support URP?

12. reuno

reuno

@lcizzle > The standard RP won't be deprecated for another 2 years. At best. LWRP was supposed to replace it, it's been deprecated already. Considering the current state of URP, I'd say there's at least a chance it gets deprecated first as well :)

That said, the engine is already compatible with any RP you decide to use, it doesn't do any rendering, so that layer is entirely up to you. The few RP specific classes included in the engine (mostly post processing related) come in both flavours, so you can use one or the other without distinction or issues.
    The demos are using SRP for now, as it remains the common denominator, and the most used RP. If and when that changes, I'll switch to whatever replaces it, but for now the asset store unfortunately doesn't let me deliver the same asset with support for multiple RPs, so I have to stick to the most common and used one.

13. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hey, what exaclty does new class AIActionRotateTowardsTarget3D in v1.8 ? Im using 1.7 since i customized many 3D classes for my purpose, so i rather not update to 1.8 for now, but im curious if it worth to download it to blank project and copy from there. Thanks for info.

14. reuno

reuno

@Felinsky > As the name implies, if put on an AI (and processed), it'll rotate to face towards its target.

15. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Hi Reuno, I was just playing around with the key and door on the Koala stage and realised the player is basically stuck and cannot complete the level if you collect the keys and when on the inventory screen accidently use the keys when not near any doors. This leaves the player to having to restart the level and to learn this mistake to avoid this issue which doesnt seem reasonable. Just wondering should the keys be unusable when in the inventory screen ? thanks.

16. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Sorry Reuno my bad, I totally didnt check the options on the key , problems all solved :)

17. reuno

reuno

@AKAGT17 > I'm glad it's working now, thanks for letting me know!

18. vlaxep

vlaxep

How can I adjust settings so that a character is controlled with W,A,S,D where A and D rotate my true-top down character's facing direction, and W and S make him go forwards and backwards?! I just cannot figure this out after over 8 hours trying to solve this.

19. reuno

reuno

@vlaxep > That's not a feature of the engine at the moment, so that's something you'd have to implement.
    Alternatively I can add it to the todo list if you'd like.
    I'd recommend extending CharacterMovement to do so, and likely getting rid of CharacterOrientation to handle orientation directly in your movement script.

20. khrysller

khrysller

Hi @reuno. Just tried the teleport feature from the sandbox 3d scene and I found it a bit weird if you put the destination far from the origin... the camera does not stay in place correctly... you have to move the character to fix it... do you know if this is a bug? thanks

21. reuno

reuno

@khrysller > I'm not aware of any such issue, I'd need to know more about what exactly you did, and in what context (Unity version, engine version, etc). Please send more info via the support form and I'll be happy to have a look.

22. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hey, i saw feedbacks asses (inside topdown engine) supports URP. Do they support HDRP too ?

23. reuno

reuno

@Felinsky > No, there are only URP post processing examples at the moment, but you could easily modify these for HDRP, it's basically the same APIs.
    Note that the vast majority of feedbacks are pipeline agnostic, only the post processing ones are dependent on your RP of choice.

24. gferrari

gferrari

Hi! I want to make 2D like Zelda game, but I want to could move my character with touch and the player will have a pathfinder to destiny with avoid obstacles. It have something like this? or it will have? ( Similar movement like Strange Things android game). If not, can I add this movement by my own? Thanks!

25. reuno

reuno

@gferrari > That's not something that's planned at the moment, but you could use any A* implementation to do so. You'll find a 3D example already (using Unity's navmeshes), it'd be relatively similar. If you're not into coding I wouldn't recommend trying to implement it though.

gferrari likes this.
  26. CF-Games

CF-Games

Hello,

I've been having some issues with the PatrolSeekAndDestroyAI. I'm using Unity 2019.4.2 on the built-in render pipeline. The PatrolSeekAndDestroyAI seems to patrol fine in the beginning (before it sees me), but after going from BackToPatrolling state to Patrolling state, they just stand there after reaching a point on the path instead of actually patrolling along the path again. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but their Target in the AIBrain gets set to PatrolSeekAndDestroyAIBackToPatrolBeacon (Transform), and it just stays that way. If I get in range again, he'll chase and shoot at me again, but once he goes back to Patrolling state, he just stands there again.

I haven't made any changes after importing, and this happens even in a simple scene like the MinimalAI3D. You can also see this happening in the your AdvancedAI video:

After going back to the patrol state, he just stands there after reaching a point in the path.

27. reuno

reuno

@CF-Games > That's indeed an old bug that's been since fixed. You can adjust the DistanceToWaypointThreshold to fix it (via the CharacterPathfinder3D inspector). If the issue persists after that, don't hesitate to use the support form and provide more info (asset version, etc), as it shouldn't happen.

28. CF-Games

CF-Games

Thanks for the quick reply. Changing the DistanceToWaypointThreshold didn't fix it. I sent in a support form.

reuno likes this.
  29. BlastingGamesSL

BlastingGamesSL

Hi! I noticed that after updating to the last version of the Asset (1.8) weapons aren't auto equipped anymore after picking them up. That applies to my own items but also to the ones in the KoalaDungeon demo (both in Unity and in the online HTML5 demo). I see that the items still have the AutoEquipMode set, but not working. Is there any extra set up needed in the last version to recover that behavior?
    Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@VandalProductions > That is indeed a recently introduced bug, it's been heavily reported and fixed for the next release. Don't hesitate to drop me a line on the support form if you need the fix before the next release hits.

31. Naughtykyuubi69

Naughtykyuubi69

perhaps I'm missing something but I have been digging in the documentation and reading and I been trying to figure out how to get the score to update. I have the score prefab hooked to the HUD and the enemies to give one point each on death. I'm surely missing something, so if somebody could clue me in it would be much appreciated!

32. reuno

reuno

@Naughtykyuubi69 > Does the issue happen in any of the demo scenes, no changes made? If yes, which one?

33. Naughtykyuubi69

Naughtykyuubi69

I'm using one of the 2D minimal scenes as a sort of framework. It didn't have the score prefab object in it initially. I added that object from the Top Down engine's set of prefabs after I had set some basic enemies to give one point upon death. I'm sure I'm missing something. Probably a script needs to be added on or something to pass that info around. I'm using Unity 2019 4.2f1 and Top Engine version 1.8

34. reuno

reuno

@Naughtykyuubi69 > Ah ok, I thought you had the issue in Grasslands, which is one of the only demo scenes where points are involved. I'm not sure what prefab you're referring to then, as (as far as I know) there's no prefab called Points (or similar) in the engine. In fact, the engine doesn't really have a generic concept for points (or use it), it's more for specific demos.

That said, in any scene, if you create a Text UI element, position it wherever you want, then select the GUIManager (usually on the UICamera in most demos), and drag that Text object into the GUIManager's dedicated slot, like this, you're halfway there :
    upload_2020-7-8_19-35-54.png

Now all that's left to do is call the GUIManager's RefreshPoints method. There are many ways you can do it (using events would be the cleanest) but a simple one is by modifying the GameManager's methods that handle points, like so :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public virtual void AddPoints(int pointsToAdd)
    2. {
    3.   Points += pointsToAdd;
    4.   GUIManager.Instance.RefreshPoints();
    5. }
    7. public virtual void SetPoints(int points)
    8. {
    9.   Points = points;
    10.   GUIManager.Instance.RefreshPoints();
    11. }

35. Naughtykyuubi69

Naughtykyuubi69

Awesome! I got it to work! Flawlessly I might add! Now I got a score system. Thank you very much, it compliments the minimap radar I put together very well.

reuno likes this.
  36. reuno

reuno

37. LassieLemon

LassieLemon

Hi @reuno
    your Unite talk led me to the TopDown Engine - which I think is a great asset.
    One "pre-buy" question: as the new input system is now verified for 2019 - will you support it?
    Keep up the good work!

38. reuno

reuno

@LassieLemon > I've added an example of it to the next release. I still wouldn't recommend using it, it's still not production ready in my opinion, but you'll have the option.

39. LassieLemon

LassieLemon

WOW thank you - then that's great for future use!

40. reuno

reuno

And technically it'll be two examples, one single player and one multiplayer :)

41. LassieLemon

LassieLemon

:cool: cool! Just bought it and will try that out.

42. jlhacode

jlhacode

After adding TopDown Engine to my project, my Android installation size jumped from 48.32MB to 84.24MB. This is after adjusting all TopDown Engine settings back to my original ones (it would be 84.75MB if the settings were left alone).

Is this expected? I'm on Unity 2019.2.21f1, and using TopDown Engine v1.6.1 according to the readme.

43. reuno

reuno

@jlhacode > If you've got all the demos in your build settings, then yes it's expected.

44. jlhacode

jlhacode

Oh, the project size is 84.24MB after stripping the demo scenes out of the build. I've actually removed them from my project, since I created a separate project with a clean TopDown Engine installation to use as a reference.

45. reuno

reuno

@jlhacode > Then that's not normal. Unity shouldn't add stuff (textures, animations, etc) to your build if they're not used in your game, and that kind of weight can't be just the scripts. If the issue persists please use the support form and provide me with your build log, I'll be happy to have a look at it for you.

46. reuno

reuno

@jlhacode > Alternatively, simply removing the entire demos folder is guaranteed to remove the size (unless the issue lies elsewhere, but if for some reason Unity is adding textures etc to the build when it shouldn't, this will solve it for sure.

47. jlhacode

jlhacode

@reuno I found the issue and it was unrelated to TopDown Engine. My bad. Another dependency was sneaking its way in via NuGet. Sorry about that!

48. reuno

reuno

@jlhacode > No problem, thanks for letting me know it's ok now :)

49. adamq_q

adamq_q

Hi! I actually started to implement something like this for a 2D topdown game using A* for pathfinding so the player can move around via touch. I'm using KoalaRooms as a starting point. When I add A* to the Guide (NPC) in the room, he follows the path and moves around via tap just fine.

But I'm having some issues when adding A* to the player (Koala).

These are the settings for the Guide (NPC):
    upload_2020-7-13_13-57-48.png

But for the player, Gravity option becomes this:
    upload_2020-7-13_13-58-28.png

The player will not move around via A* pathfinding unless I first remove the Rigidbody 2D component from the player. Then it works. But then I get errors thrown by TopDown Controller 2D (which makes sense).

Wondering if you have any thoughts on this? Is there a way this might be handled gracefully where I don't need to remove Rigidbody 2D and TopDown Controller 2D? I would like to keep those components active so that PC players could still move around via WASD.

Just wanted to see if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction. Apologies for being a newb!

50. reuno

reuno

@cute4u > One way of doing it would be to swap between 2 prefabs, one handled by the TopDown controller, one handled by A*, and you pick one or the other based on context. But as far as I know A* won't work with a rigidbody, it's its own controller. That'd be more a A* question though, maybe there are options there to have it work.