Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Hi reuno , I dunno if its just my setup or just a bug, but on the Startscreen menu, on the Play button ( ButtonAlt), and in background, I insertred an Audio clip in Audio Source, in which I assume when I click the play button the sound would play. Instead theres no sound. I tried inserting audio clips for the button circle gear and I hear a sound when it is clicked but not the play button. Is there something wrong?

2. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

I have a question that I probably already know the answer to, but here it goes anyway. Is there a way that is built in to only show the current room that you are in or in the process of entering? If not, would something along these lines be something that could be implemented? Also, is there URP support on the asset or is it still something that you don't feel Unity has gotten to release readiness yet?

3. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > No way to only show the current room right now (at least not built-in), but that's the specific focus of the next update, and it's already done :
    https://imgur.com/a/xLKQch6

As for URP, the engine itself doesn't do any rendering, and will work whatever your chosen RP. The demos are in legacy, because it's still (by far, in my opinion) the best and most common denominator RP, but you can use the engine with URP or HDRP, it's up to you.

4. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hi there
    After installing i get these errors:
    Ashampoo_Snap_2020.04.17_09h59m14s_007_UnityEditor-ConsoleWindow.png Ashampoo_Snap_2020.04.17_09h59m33s_008_UnityEditor-ConsoleWindow.png

Using TDE 1.7
    And Unity 2018.4

5. reuno

reuno

@Pourya-MDP > It's very unlikely that you're running v1.7. You can check what version you're running in the readme.
    And for older versions of the engine like that, I'd recommend following the install instructions included with the asset, or the ones found in the documentation : https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/install.html
    Make sure you pick the ones relating to your version.

6. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

I'm sure im running 1.7 :)

7. reuno

reuno

@Pourya-MDP > v1.7 requires Unity 2019.3.2f1 or more, and you said you were running 2018.4.

8. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

That's interesting but not quite what I had in mind. I'm basically thinking that if an area has a closed door, what is behind it doesn't reveal itself until the door is opened. Does that make sense?

9. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > The next version will include classes that will let you do that.

10. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Awesome! Thanks! This shall be yet another quality More Mountains purchase then.

11. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > Just to clarify, it wouldn't be out of the box, but you'll get a basis that would help.
    I wouldn't buy the asset just for that.

12. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Hi Reuno, on the StartScreen when I press the Play button on the controller or the mouse, no sound is being played. I have tried adding a sound fx myself in the ButtonAlt - background- audio source and still nothing. I have added sound fx to the button circle gear and that works but not the BUTTON ALT, is there some bug?

13. reuno

reuno

@AKAGT17 > You can't really play a sound while at the same time changing scene. Add a delay and it'll work. That's not a bug :)

14. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

Hi all, interested with engine.
    Question 1: Will it suitable if i just create top down space shooter with it?
    Question 2: For mobile control, doest it have dual analog virtual joystick?

Thanks

15. reuno

reuno

@hoyoyo80 > 1. It's a bit vague to give you an answer. There's no inertia, if that's what you're wondering.
    2. There's a stick script, you could have two or more, sure.

16. TiBiBo

TiBiBo

Hi @reuno , nice engine! Worth every cent!

I have a question about Moving Platform 3D.
    The "player" with the "TopDown Controller 3D" jumps and sticks to it perfectly. But when I make a platform rotating in a plane (like a carousel), the player is thrown from it - he does not stick to it.

How can I make a "player" stick to a rotating platform?
    Is it somewhere inside TopDown Controller 3D or do I need to make separate code for rotating platforms?

17. reuno

reuno

@TiBiBo > That's not a feature at the moment, you'd have to implement it, or request it via the support form.

18. TiBiBo

TiBiBo

Ok, thank you!

reuno likes this.
  19. ominousartemis

ominousartemis

@reuno Hello and thank you for creating such a powerful engine for people like me. I'm a 3d artist with ideas I want to implement, but not a coder.

So I installed this today and am having issues playing any of the demos. I saw the documentation that stated the camera changes for orthographic size and pixels per unit. That fixed the zoom in issue.

My next issue is that when I move around the screen, the scene does not pan as you move. Only the koala moves past the screen edge and you cannot see what you're doing. This happens in koala2D and also the minimal 2D demo.

I can fix this in play by dragging the model to the CM virtual camera Follow. But when I stop playing, the changes I make are reverted. But I don't know how to fix this when not in play. Because I know changes in play do not stick.

I'm having massive errors in console. Even when not in play. Here are just a few of them.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.AmbientOcclusion.IsEnabledAndSupported (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.14-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/AmbientOcclusion.cs:90)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetLegacyCameraFlags (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.14-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:538)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.SetupContext (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.14-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:598)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.BuildCommandBuffers () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.14-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:341)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.OnPreCull () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.14-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:309)

I recall, in documentation, having to manually install post processing. But post processing doesn't haven't anything to do with camera follow so I don't think they're related. Seems like a lot of weird issues going on. Any insight?

When post process volume and layer, are turned off on the main camera, the errors stop.

I'm also wondering if I should install 2019x and if that would be more stable than 2018.4.

I'm using Unity 2018.4.21f1. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  20. reuno

reuno

@ominousartemis > Hard to tell without more info, but my guess is you didn't install the asset correctly. I'd recommend following the install process described at : https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/install.html
    Note that in more recent versions of the engine (and of Unity) that install process is much easier. You may want to update.
    If the issue persists, please provide more details via the support form, thanks.

21. ominousartemis

ominousartemis

----------------------

Thanks very much @reuno. Btw, you have excellent customer service skills. I wasn't expecting a response so quickly. In rereading the documentation, that's what I'm thinking as well. Except my brain is dead right now. I'll attempt this after lunch tomorrow. And will post with an update.

I think I'll update to unity 2019. Use Hub to experiment in each unity version. Would you suggest 2019.3?

But I think I have the latest version of the engine. I bought this a couple of days ago. Thanks again. : )

reuno likes this.
  22. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

I'm not buying it just for that. The whole engine is what I'm after. This feature is an added bonus once it becomes available.

reuno likes this.
  23. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > All good then, just wanted to manage expectations :)

24. ominousartemis

ominousartemis

Thank you for your advice. I feel silly because I should have just read the documentation. For whatever reason, I didn't think it addressed my problem. In case someone else is here searching for a solution, here is how I dealt with this. I develop for a platform that requires Unity 2018 to be stable. For the moment anyways.

So I downloaded Unity Hub. Prior to this, I did not have Hub. So in Hub, I have my other work in Unity 2018.4. For this personal project, I installed unity 2019 and created the new project. Installed the engine and all dependencies. Worked flawlessly. Demos are great. No need for adjustments anywhere.

So work is Unity 2018 and my personal indie projects are Unity 2019.

reuno likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@ominousartemis > I'm glad it's working now! Thanks for letting me know.

26. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

Just a thought Reuno,would you consider in the future updating the start screen ui with more options? Such as having Start game then options that leads to another ui with sound volume ,game brightness, control settings etc?

27. reuno

reuno

28. neapolitanstudios

neapolitanstudios

@reuno I'm having some issues with friendly AI collisions in 3D.

The documentation says to use layers for collisions. There doesn't appear to be a collision for friendly AI, only Enemies and Players. I tried getting around this by using the Obstacle layer; however, that allows the player to jump on the heads of the AI. How would you approach this?

29. reuno

reuno

@neapolitanstudios > At the moment there's no built-in example of AI collision avoidance. It hasn't been requested either, but I'd be happy to add it to the todo list if you'd like. All it'd take would be creating a new decision for it (or modifying the way pathfinding works, both would do. As for layers, you can add more if you want, the ones provided are just a suggestion.

MudPuppet likes this.
  30. Mary_Cline

Mary_Cline

Hello @reuno
    I think there are some problems with AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius2D. It only seems to work when you move around, standing still makes enemies ignore you

The AIBrain is just a slight modification of the NinjaRifleman with a A* pathfinder
    https://imgur.com/a/u6rOzTJ

31. reuno

reuno

@Mary_Cline > I don't reproduce the problem, and it's never been reported either. Doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a bug.
    If you think you've found a bug, please provide (written) repro steps (from a fresh install, no changes made) and context info via the support form, and I'll be happy to have a look.

32. AhmedVawda

AhmedVawda

Hi Reuno

First off, great work on the documentation as well as the YouTube series. I am busy going through them now. Just had one quick question. When I run the StartScreen and pick a demo (KoalaDungeon for example), I am able to run around and shoot and open menu with my Xbox Gamepad. But I am not able to aim. The right thumbstick does not aim, the way one would expect it to work. Please advise ? I could use a seperate input manager, but given that the TDE supportds the xbox controller, seems logical to use this natively. Just that the aiming does not appear to work, unless I am doing something wrong.

33. reuno

reuno

@AhmedVawda > As explained in the documentation, you can set what method you'd like to aim on each weapon, via the WeaponAim component. I suppose that you didn't make that change, and your weapons are set to the demo's default, which is mouse aim.

34. AhmedVawda

AhmedVawda

I checked this out first :
    https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/weapons.html

Then I updated the KoalaRifle WeaponAim control within inspector. I tried SecondaryMovement and SecondaryThenPrimaryMovement. Neither one engaged the right thumbstick in game.

Still pretty new to Unity and first look at the TDE. I will continue watching the YT series and hope that this helps me figure our what I am doing wrong.

35. reuno

reuno

@AhmedVawda > My guess is you didn't modify the right prefab, but without more info it's hard to guess. If the issue persists please use the support form and provide more details, thanks!

36. AhmedVawda

AhmedVawda

b
    Before I log anything, perhaps you could advise if I have made the change in the correct place ? Its the very first weapon pickup, which references the KoalaRifle

Unity_bFr97WUbId.png Unity_tCboe0GQHT.png

37. reuno

reuno

@AhmedVawda > That depends on what you're trying to test, and how, I can't tell just from that screenshot.
    If you're trying to test in Koala2D, then no, these are not the right ones, that'd be the AmmoBased, just below that folder.
    But again, please use the support form if you have more questions about this, thanks!

38. khrysller

khrysller

Hi reuno. Your engine looks nice. Is there a way do make a coin fly when picked up from the place it is to the HUD?

39. reuno

reuno

@khrysller > Certainly, but you wouldn't need the engine for that, that's a VFX you can do with "native" Unity :)

khrysller likes this.
  40. lanihou

lanihou

Hi is there a way to create say a grid of XY tiles that fit in the screen ? normaly in 2d you can play with th camera size . but it seem to be fixed to 6.9.
    in 3d also. something like explodudes but with a variables size grid that fit on the screen. no scrolling is nedded. thank.
    edit : Field Of View seems to be fixed to 40 also.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  41. reuno

reuno

@lanihou > Sure, Unity exposes enough info about the screen size, ratio, and camera for you to compute that.

42. nichjaim

nichjaim

Hey, sorry if this has already been asked but how do I get local multiplayer characters to have separate inventories? Whenever a character picks something up it goes to the wrong character and when I tried to change their inventories names it seems to cause an error. I looked at the inventory documentation but I'm still a little confused on what I am doing wrong. I'm using the minimal 2D as a basis btw.

43. reuno

reuno

@nichjaim > That's not something that is built-in (yet, but it's on the todo list). It'd require a dedicated implementation.

44. lanihou

lanihou

just realised , You need to disable cinemachinebrain on the maincamera , in other to be able to modify FOV or orthographic size.

45. reuno

reuno

@lanihou > No, you don't have to do that, and I wouldn't recommend it. Just set that via your virtual camera.

46. nichjaim

nichjaim

I've been trying to get a twin stick style mobile control scheme working with a second virtual joystick aiming and shooting but i'm having some difficulty. I figured I need to have a second joystick set the input manager's secondary movement value and call the fire button but none of my finicking seems to be working. Is there an easier way to do this or am I just missing something.

47. reuno

reuno

@nichjaim > That's built in, no need to implement anything.
    As explained in the documentation, all you have to do is select your weapon and change its aim mode to SecondaryMovement. By default all demos are setup to use the mouse as their main aim mode.

nichjaim likes this.
  48. AhmedVawda

AhmedVawda

PERFECT! That resolved the issue, I tweaked the "AmmoBased" prefabs and its working as desired.

reuno likes this.
  49. Mary_Cline

Mary_Cline

I finally fixed it. The issue was not standing still, but standing close to a wall. AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius2D casts a BoxCast in a direction of the player to check for walls and the size of this boxcast is the size of the enemy's collider, so if you make it bigger than the player's, you get this bug.

reuno likes this.
  50. khrysller

khrysller

One doubt and 2 possible bugs:

Bug 1: In MinimalScene3D at the start if you use the ability the char goes up... but at the start it is facing right so it should go right... just wondering

Bug 2: I tried to bring the teleport to that same scene and use it... it triggers but after the teleport, the camera does not follow the player anymore.

Question: There a script that I can use to pick objects with the mouse click/tap instead of making the player touch the object? Thanks