Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Necka_

Necka_

I'm looking forward to it then!
    Is it for the next major update or would it come sooner in a minor one?

2. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > It's for the next minor one (haven't had or planned a major update for TopDown yet, it doesn't require one).

3. Necka_

Necka_

Maybe we don't have the same idea of what is major or not :D
    For me version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc are major versions (because adding features etc) but maybe you consider those minor? :) either way i'm happy with the update flows and features you add!

4. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > Major : 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, Minor : 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, Patch : 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3.
    I agree it's quite subjective, but that seems to be the general rule : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning
    In the context of the engines at least, a major version suggests some important change that may break one or more system (and thus require carefulness when updating to it), minor versions mostly update stuff without breaking, or add new features, and patches just fix stuff (usually urgently because of some breaking change in the previous update).

MudPuppet likes this.
  5. Necka_

Necka_

@reuno thanks for the clarification!
    So anyway, I'm looking forward for the next update :)

reuno likes this.
  6. KamiKaze425

KamiKaze425

I'm a little confused, how does one lock the camera to just one axis? I'm aiming for a castle crashers type setup. Thanks!

7. reuno

reuno

8. Necka_

Necka_

Is it planned to move TDE to the new input system? I guess not until it's out of preview in 2020.1, but worth asking anyway, it looks to be better feature wise than the current system

9. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > If it comes out of preview in 2020.1 and is actually production ready by then, then yes, for sure.

Necka_ likes this.
  10. Necka_

Necka_

Hello @reuno,

I wanted to know if there is a simple way (more a guidance) on changing the Ammo type for the same weapon
    I was going to go with "Create one Weapon per Ammo" but it kinds of complicate things a bit for my system
    So I thought: let's create a weapon, let say [OmegaWeapon] that can handle different kind of Ammo (Fire Ammo, Energy Ammo etc.) which could have different damages and so on.

Then in game the player has that [OmegaWeapon] equipped and switch the ammo type only

How the Simple Object pooler works I'm not sure on how to do that in a simple way as it instantiate all the ammo when the component is enabled. I'm not using the Inventory part of the Engine but can handle that ammo switch on my own

I hope this make sense, I'm not sure if anything already exists to make this as simple as I wish, if not it's more a "where should I start from your point of view" type of question :)

thank you!

11. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > I suppose implementing something using the multiple object pooler would be the easiest way.

12. M0ti

M0ti

@reuno > Just wanted to thank you for the tip. I was able to successfully updated to 1.5 version of the engine. It took a whole day of merging, as I'm a total noob but in the end I got there. :D
    I probably still did something wrong. When I removed the TopDownEngine folder and imported the asset anew, I also did the Packages step again which maybe was not the best idea. Because for some reason I had to manually install basic stuff like 2D Sprite for example, which is used to set the pivot in the editor.

Also one separated question before I spend time implementing something that's already there. I've noticed that there is a NavMesh within the packages but the AIActionMoveTowardsTarget2D is not working with it. Is it implemented somewhere else or is the implementation on us? (Never worked with NavMesh so maybe I'm saying nonsense here :D)

13. reuno

reuno

@M0ti > Navmeshes are a 3D thing.

14. lifep

lifep

The engine performance may not well, i have two computer, one computer cpu i7-7700, when play the MinimalScene3D, the GPU used 100% and fps is 10, the other computer cpu i7-6700k and GTX970, play the same scene, Cpu is 20% and Gpu is 30%, fps is 150.

As i see there is only some object in the scene, why the gpu cost is so much.

15. reuno

reuno

@lifep > Probably because of post processing?
    Hard to tell, it'd be easier for you to check on your device directly though :)
    In any case, the engine doesn't do anything on the GPU. Unity does.
    Everything in the engine is CPU side.

16. lifep

lifep

I'm try disable the post processing component on main camera, and play the scene again. on the compute with i7-7700 cpu, that gpu cost 80%, is other setting or component cost gpu so much? Thank you very much.:)

This is my unity screenshot: https://imgchr.com/i/KVJ0L6

17. reuno

reuno

@lifep > There are always settings you can lower, and optimizations to be made, but again this is outside the scope of the engine, that's just generic Unity at this point. Just look at the profiler to get actual numbers on this. The engine itself is as low footprint as can be right now.
    Plus maybe don't look at stuff in percentage like that, it's meaningless outside of context. 80% on a crappy GPU isn't "so much", it's just a relative value.

18. lifep

lifep

Thank you, i will look at the profiler for more infomation, and try create a new scene than add the component manual, hope to find the problem. :):)

19. reuno

reuno

@lifep > The problem is pretty likely your GPU if it has issues displaying two cubes without post processing while your other computer is running at 150fps :)
    If you have more questions about this, please use the support form, thanks!

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, does the character switch from the 2d demo work in 3d as well?

21. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

will you add dialogue system like the one from the platformer asset?

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

Just putting in a quick note that the Dialogue System for Unity has TDE integration.

eldarion likes this.
  23. reuno

reuno

24. M0ti

M0ti

@lifep > Maybe you've solved the performance problem already, but I just wanted to share that I had a similar problem. The minimal2D scene ran horribly and the KoalaDungeon was unplayable. After a while, I noticed that the Unity itself had a really bad performance. Once I consulted it with my more knowledgable friends we found out, that it was simply because I let the integrated GPU to handle unity. That's why whatever I did in Unity the processor got from 0% to 100%. So if you have dedicated GPU there, switch to that. At least that's what helped me.

reuno likes this.
  25. M0ti

M0ti

@reuno is this a good place for bug reporting or is there more propper channel for it?
    I was experimenting with the inventory system today and got an error when in InventoryDisplay I uncheck the "Draw Empty Slots" option.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    2. Parameter name: index
    It should be easy to replicate as the same error pops up if I uncheck this option in the KoalaMainInventoryDisplay in the KoalaDungeon. That's why I presumed it might be an error.

26. reuno

reuno

@M0ti > Please use the support form to report bugs and provide exact repro steps. I'm not aware of any issue with the draw empty slots option, and don't reproduce that error. I'll need exact steps (version, how/when exactly you uncheck that, etc), from a fresh install of the engine, thanks.

M0ti likes this.
  27. kotor

kotor

I am getting compile error when running under 2018.4.11.f1. Anybody else having issues. Is this compiling on 2019?

28. reuno

reuno

@kotor > I'd be happy to help if you could provide a bit more info via the support form. Such as what version of the engine you're referring to, for example.

29. ShiackHeron

ShiackHeron

when I equip and unequip a weapon with ammo the ammo gets refilled, any tip on how to make the ammo stay the same?, thanks in advance

30. reuno

reuno

@Shiack > That's very unusual, I've never heard of this issue, and the demos work just fine in that regard. I'd suggest looking at them for reference. If the problem persists please use the support form and provide reproduction steps, thanks!

31. ShiackHeron

ShiackHeron

I just needed to make it use ammo thanks, by the way any idea how to make items like keys usable on the game but not dissapear if you se them in the inventory menu as it just goes away?

32. reuno

reuno

@Shiack > Just override your item's Use method to have it behave however you want. If you have more questions like that, please use the support form, thanks.

33. Chrogo

Chrogo

Hi I'm interested in buying this engine but one thing that's bugging me is the weird way that it's drawing pixels as the camera makes subtle movements... It feels like the pixels are "crawling" around instead of moving smoothly.

Notice how the lines are like "connecting" and "disconnecting" in between the walls. Why is this happening? Is there a way to disable this? It's less noticeable in full screen but still there...

I just want clean camera movement without any sort of sub-pixel stuff or whatever seems to be happening here.

34. reuno

reuno

@Chrogo > You can simply use a pixel perfect camera, as explained in the documentation.
    This has nothing to do with the engine by the way, that's just how rendering works in Unity :)

35. Chrogo

Chrogo

Really? I was looking into that and thought that might be a solution but I'm like... I mean... why isn't the demo using that? Why would anyone want this smeary pixel look over clean pixels? Seems like a common thing with 2D unity games that I've been looking at... Is there some benefit to it? I guess you can't get those super "smooth" slow camera eases since it doesn't do sub-pixel movement or whatever. But honestly that smeary look is like giving me half headache half motion sickness and I'm stumped as to why that seems to be the preferred look for this engine.

36. reuno

reuno

@Chrogo > personal preference I suppose. The engine will work exactly the same whether you use pixel perfect or not. Both have their uses. Feel free to pick one or the other.

37. M0ti

M0ti

I wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction on this one.
    I'm making an enemy without a sprite renderer. It should be enemy hidden below the floor so it hides and animates the tiles above it. We can say that the current tile works as an external model for the enemy.
    So when he gets hit or die I would still like for the MMFeedback to be visible on this external object. Any tips on how to set it up? What I've tried to do, is when the enemy moves under a tile, it assigns that tile's model into the Character and Health model. But that did nothing.

Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject _tileModel = _currentSpawnedTile.transform.Find("Model").gameObject;
    2.             _health.Model = _tileModel;
    3.             _character.CharacterModel = _tileModel;

38. M0ti

M0ti

Thought.
    I've just finished my third enemy in the engine. It has only two attacks and the AI part of the character is already getting out of hand. 13 states in the AIBrain and 28 AIActions and AIDecisions combined. Even with everything labeled it's not easy to orient in.
    I can't imagine making something more robust like a boss enemy this way with stuff like different phases.
    So I was wondering if anyone already got to this point and found a clever way to make it work. For example, not sure if it's possible, but I've noticed that there is something like character swapping? Maybe I could have each phase of the boss as a separated prefab and switch between them in the battle.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Necka_ and IlyaKo like this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@M0ti > I have plans for a graph based approach for this, just waiting on the graph API to reach production readiness.

MudPuppet and M0ti like this.
  40. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

@reuno how easy would it be to add like a max payne dive when shooting to this?

41. reuno

reuno

@Bonzotaz1 > It's quite hard to answer "how easy" questions. That really depends on your skills.
    I'd say "very easy" but it's quite relative :)

IlyaKo likes this.
  42. Lengjai

Lengjai

Hi there good job with the engine , one thing I would like to ask is will you update a version with a level progress system that will have the next level etc unlock progressively once a level is completed, similar to what you have in the corgi engine? What you have currently seems to allow the player to choose any level they wish to play which seems incomplete as a game engine. Thanks keep it up!

43. reuno

reuno

@Lengjai > It's on the todo list, I'll add your vote to it.

44. Muppo

Muppo

@reuno , how high is Dialogue System in the ToDo list? Will it, maybe, arrives on a near update?
    Thanks

45. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > No, it's still (relatively) low, it doesn't get that many votes. I think the reasons for that are that it's not really a core feature of all top down games (although some do of course), and there are already a lot of quality assets on the store dedicated to that specifically that do a good job at it.

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity has integration with TopDown Engine.

reuno likes this.
  47. reuno

reuno

@TonyLi > It does and I only hear good things from people who've used it :)

TonyLi likes this.
  48. Muppo

Muppo

Sorry to read this, but sound understandable, in fact @TonyLi solution looks great, just I can't afford it right know.

I guess trying to get it from Corgi will not work as expected, am I right?

49. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Oh if you mean "same dialogue options as Corgi" then that's way higher on the priority list. I thought you meant something more advanced. And yes, it should work without too much trouble if you take it from Corgi, it's the same basis.

MudPuppet likes this.
  50. Muppo

Muppo

I mean same as Corgi, right. I should have noted I was not talking about visual node based conversation system or complex quest features.

Will try to get it from Corgi then. Thanks!