Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

v1.3 of the TopDown Engine is now live! Let me know if you run into any issues.
    Remember it requires 2019.1 or above.

RikiKlein and Boom_Shaka like this.
  2. play_unity729

play_unity729

so If I use 2018 I should stay with the 1.2? I ask to know if I should update or not

3. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > As I said in the post, if you want to use v1.3 it requires Unity 2019.1.
    If you're using 2018 you won't be prompted to update to 1.3.

4. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

Maybe this question has been asked before or the answer is mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't find anything.
    Is it possible to use the LWRP with the Top Down Engine?

5. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > Oh absolutely, you can use whatever render pipeline with the engine. The engine makes things move and shoot basically, but how you render things is an entirely open and separate decision.
    The demos use the legacy render pipeline because it's like the common denominator, but all RP are fine.

6. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

I wish developers would stop using only the very latest version of Unity for assets. Unity supports uploading of multiple versions for an asset and while I accept this may be a pain to do but it should be considered. Unless you have added a new feature that can only be implemented in 2019.1 can you please also upload for 2018.x. Not everyone can switch to new versions easily and also if I switch just to use your asset it then potentially breaks various other assets that don't upgrade smoothly. Yes I know I can install different versions of Unity but unfortunately the asset store downloads doesn't allow different versions of the same assets to be available locally.

I bought the asset the day before it was updated to require 2019.1 and now (for me) it is wasted money as want to stay on 2018.3.

7. reuno

reuno

@Tortyfoo > And I wish Unity would stop breaking stuff with each update :) So no, unfortunately it's just not realistic. I wish it was that easy, but it really isn't. It'd take way too much time (one round of QA is one to two weeks), and support would become hell. I did it for the first year of the Corgi Engine. Never again. And if you look at the numbers (that I have), the amount of people in that situation is actually close to zero. Out of an average of 50 requests a day, you're the first person to express that in the last 6 months, for reference. So while I understand it'd be much easier if the engine was available up to 5.x, it's just impossible.

I would suggest installing 2019, downloading there, and copying the asset from there into 2018. That's how I do it when working on locked projects, and although I agree, Unity could make that process easier (like it's done in the Package Manager for example), it works ok.

And I wouldn't know about the wasted money part though. I always recommend people buy the asset for what's in it, not for what may or may not come. That, and the version thing, is all explained in the FAQ (https://topdown-engine.moremountains.com/topdown-engine-contact), especially the first item, the one marked with "please read this".

If you try the method described above and run into trouble please let me know using the support form, I'll be happy to help.

8. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

Ok so i set up a new Project in 2019.1.1f1 (Standard 3D Template), imported the Engine, replaced the manifest, everything works, imported the LWRP through the Package Manager, went to create the LWRP asset, but the option on the "create" menu was missing. So I set up a second Project in 2019.1.1f1 this time with the LWRP Template, imported the Engine, replaced the manifest, at this point the project no longer uses the LWRP asset created by the Template and all materials were broken (classic pink). Again the option to create the LWRP asset was missing in the menu. Also Unity wouldn't accept the LWRP assets created by the Template when creating the Project (which I tried to drag and drop). When searching for a LWRP asset using the little circle icon next to the slot, it didn't show any, even though there where the 3 assets created by the Template in the Project.

On a side note, I couldn't recreate the issues I had with the dash direction and when creating a new character in 2019.1.1f1 there were no problems at all. I must have done something weird.

9. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > Unfortunately I don't know of a magic way to make the demos work in LWRP or HDRP for that matter. As I said, the engine itself can be used in all RPs, but the demos were created with the legacy RP and won't port to LWRP or HDRP without some work. You could try using Unity's material converter option but I wouldn't have too much hope for that.

10. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

I will give it a go over the weekend and post any results here. At this point it just seems weird to me that I can not create a LWRP Asset after importing the package.

11. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > I wouldn't know about that. There's nothing in the asset with the power to prevent you to do so :)
    I've never tried it that way. Everytime I play around with LWRP or HDRP I create a project from scratch in that mode. You'll then be able to import the asset. Of course, the demos likely won't work. What I usually do in cases like that is simply have two Unity instances running, and I look at the reference in one, recreate/modify in the other.

12. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

I just tried it again with Unity versions 2019.1.0 and 2019.1.1 and I had the same issue as before in both of them. After I replace the manifest.json I can not create or drag and drop previously created LWRP Assets.

13. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > I don't seem to run into that issue when I create a new project using the LWRP template. I'd need more info if the problem persists, please drop me a line on the support form, thanks.

14. neapolitanstudios

neapolitanstudios

I’m thinking of getting Top Down Engine in the sale, but I have a very random question regarding it.

It appears that the Top Down Engine is structured very similarly to Corgi Engine (which I own). There is a lot of functionality within Corgi Engine that doesn’t exist in Top Down, such as being able to swap characters. Would it be possible to import both engines into a project and use the swap characters script in Top Down engine? Provided it was swapping between Top Down characters rather than Corgi characters of course.

reuno likes this.
  15. reuno

reuno

@neapolitanstudios > Good question!
    No, it wouldn't be possible to do that. Both projects are what Unity considers as "Complete projects", and depend on their own project settings, etc, so you can't just import both in the same project. It's technically doable, but would require some tedious work.
    However, you're right, both projects share the same global logic, and stuff like swapping characters could be easily ported from one to the other. It's on my todo list by the way :)

16. neapolitanstudios

neapolitanstudios

Thanks for the response! I'll probably grab it while it's on sale and wait for an official implementation if it's on the to-do list. I take it there's no ETA?

17. reuno

reuno

18. Filipinjo

Filipinjo

Some of the scenes in the project run with 10 to 15 fps... I don't experience this in any of my other projects. Version of unity I'm using is 2019.1.1f1. Do you know what could be the cause for this?

19. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi reuno, would you say that it is possible to use the asset for simulation/business type games similar to theme hospital or rollercoaster tycoon ? I am trying to figure out if this asset would be a good base for such a game where there is a top down third person camera view, without an actual character, but the ability to zoom/rotate and move around the scene with a mouse. I already own TDE, but would using it be a good idea for this specific type of game ? Thanks !

20. reuno

reuno

@Filipinjo > Most likely the cause is your device :) On the project's side, I'd need to know what scenes you're referring to, but it's probably the post processing effects, easily turned off. The engine in itself is super low footprint. The best way to know would be to look at the profiler, that'd answer your question.
    @SpyrosUn > It's possible. It'd also be completely overkill. You don't want characters in Theme Hospital to have advanced controllers like that. I would recommend implementing something much simpler.

21. Pelix87

Pelix87

I have bougth the asset. First at all: good work. :)
    But the camera doesnt work ... the camera doesnt follow the character. Some idea?

22. reuno

reuno

@Pelix87 > Have you by any chance looked at the readme or the documentation?
    If that doesn't solve it, please send me more info on the support form, thanks.

23. Pelix87

Pelix87

Everything works fine now, thx. :)

24. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

With this kit, obviously i would have to modify it a lot to work but would i be able to recreate something like retro city rampage ?

25. reuno

reuno

@Pelix87 > The documentation strikes again! Glad it's working now :)
    @Bonzotaz1 > I guess, yes. Really depends on skills and time.

26. Pelix87

Pelix87

Yes, was the problem with "manifest" file and unity 2019.1.x :)

But some question: is it a lot of work to create a network multiplayer (no split screen) with this asset, what do you think?

27. reuno

reuno

@Pelix87 > I think it's a lot of work to create a network based game, whatever the framework you use. The engine won't get in the way if that's your question :)

28. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Did anyone figure out how to get rid of the "sticking to wall" symptom? It happens when you move diagonally and hit a top wall for example. Even if you can only walk sideways, you're walking in the same speed as when moving diagonally. This gives me the feeling of the wall being sticky.

I remember writing to the creator about this, but don't remember I got an answer that helped me.

I'm not saying it's a bug, and I can understand why it happens, but it would be nice to not have that. :)

29. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

I also randomly keep getting the "Invalid AABB inAABB" (Yeah it's spelled like that with no space) and this is only playing in the Koala2d-demo, without modifying anything. I can't recreate it as it happens randomly, but there comes like 10-15 lines of that at a time. By googling, it seems to be related to division by Zero and GUI-elements.

Also, the cursor keeps disappearing for me. It was there when I first installed it, but after playing and restarting a few times, it's not there, and I can't bring it back. My mouse cursor is also hidden. Any ideas why?

I noticed the developer wanted someone to use the support form, but I think this (or any other) forum is better, since everyone can help, and other can share the solutions, which saves the developer time, to focus on development. :)

EDIT: The exact message is:
    Invalid AABB inAABB
    UnityEngine.Canvas:SendWillRenderCanvases()

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  30. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

One more thing! :) Did anyone implement Rewired with Topdown Engine? I saw there was an integration with Corgi engine, and I imagine it would be similar to this one. I'm fiddling with making a CustomInputManager, to try and hijack the keypresses, but still keep the main functionality, but it's pretty complex :) Any ideas would help!

31. reuno

reuno

@nicmarxp > Again, if you think you've found a bug, or need help, please use the support form. I appreciate your input on posting here speeding things up and saving time, but in my experience that's not how it works at all :)
    As for the AABB error, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's pretty harmless. Haven't been able to pinpoint it exactly, but it's either the Koala's particles and/or the pixel perfect camera that cause a Unity bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed in future versions of Unity.

32. christougher

christougher

Hi! I just picked up both of these projects as well. I was wondering if putting them both into one project if anything would break. So, not so much worried about mixing and matching features like the character swap but just wondering if they can coexist and if not what all would need to be changed? Such as layers, tags and input?

33. reuno

reuno

@christougher > Layers and input will be the two main issues, absolutely.
    Then both assets use my MMTools libraries, so you'll have to remove one, but they're not necessarily in sync so there may be some minor refactoring involved. I'd recommend keeping the TopDown Engine one, at the time of writing it's the most recent version.
    Apart from that it should be good.

34. reuno

reuno

Just a quick post to update you on a few things regarding the TopDown Engine :
    - v1.3 has been out for 2 weeks now, and so far I'm really happy with the feedback. Install related support questions went from a daily average of 40 to 2 in just two weeks. I'm really glad I switched to that manual install thing, seems to make things easier for everyone. Still doesn't beat native support for dependencies declaration, but in the meantime, that'll do.
    - I am still (and have been for a while now) in the process of recording tutorial videos for the engine. I'll gradually release them over the next weeks/months, starting today with the how to install video (
    ). Of course, just like for the Corgi Engine, these will be added to the relevant documentation pages as I go.
    - I've already started work on v1.5 and it already packs a bunch of great features. Working on these updates is a lot of fun. It already feels as mature and robust as the Corgi Engine, and I can just focus on cool things instead of constantly reworking the foundations, as was the case over the first few years of the CE. So yeah, cool things coming!

DMRhodes, MilziPPG, digiross and 2 others like this.
  35. Herdre

Herdre

Hey, can you recommend fastest way to fix aim if you get to close to target?

Attached Files:

• 675.gif
      675.gif
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  36. reuno

reuno

@Herdre > Have your AI move back, offset the reference point back, prevent shooting when too close, etc.
    Not sure which one of these would be the fastest, I'd say it's pretty much the same.

37. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, I meant to suggest this a long time ago but with regards to videos I feel it would be really beneficial if there were a couple on creating a new character ability as well as a new different weapon type. I understand that you have lots of info in the documentation but it would be nice to visually see the processes taken from zero to hero. That way people would get to actually create either one successfully and experience the process at the same time without running into any brick walls if their coding skills are not advanced.

38. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > As I said 3 posts above yours, I'm in the process of recording tutorial videos for the TopDown Engine. There'll be one for each aspect of the engine, and yes that'll cover character abilities and weapons.

MudPuppet and digiross like this.
  39. HeathC

HeathC

I bought the top down engine and was trying to play it with a controller. I have tested both my xbox controller and my ps4 controller in both controller testers and in games. Both work perfectly on my Mac. When I use the controller in the top down engine, it doesn't work. You have it mapped out in the documentation, but move is the only input that works properly. If I use the right joystick to aim the reticle around, nothing happens unless I move the joystick left... then the gun shoots o_O. Other buttons do weird things that aren't what you have mapped out...

Is there a setup step I missed to get the controller to work properly like you have in the documentation?

40. reuno

reuno

@HeathC > That's completely normal, demo bindings are for Windows gamepads.
    Mac bindings for controllers in Unity are different.
    Feel free to modify them like you would in any Unity project, via the Input settings panel.

41. HeathC

HeathC

will give it a try.... I must have missed something... I looked through the inputs but having never really made a game for controllers, I must not have really understood it...

42. reuno

reuno

43. HeathC

HeathC

44. reuno

reuno

@HeathC > You're welcome.
    So in the Input Manager panel you'll see a lot of entries, and every time you see something like "joystick 1 button 0", that'll be "joystick 1 button 16" for Mac. It's that simple :)

45. HeathC

HeathC

46. reuno

reuno

@HeathC > I have no idea, I only do bindings for xbox in the demos. There's no built-in easy (or manageable) way to add support for both so I've always focused on the most common controller.

47. HeathC

HeathC

ok thanks for the lead on the xbox controller... I appreciate that

reuno likes this.
  48. Necka_

Necka_

Stupid Unity forums that stop giving notification on "watched forums"... And I missed that you are planning to add Character Swapping in a future update! which is awesome

I'll be bold and dare to ask: Is it coming in the next update of TDE? :) (no I won't ask for an ETA, I know it's when it's done...............but of course if you have an idea you can totally share it, nobody is reading! )

49. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > Surprisingly (to me - didn't think it was such a popular feature)) character swapping has been very heavily requested, so there's a good chance it'll come in one of the next updates, yes.

MudPuppet, digiross and Necka_ like this.
  50. Muppo

Muppo

Character swapping open path to new game posibilities, I think is a nice feature.

@reuno , is there something like 'fading walls/obstacles when player walks behind it' in the way? Made a custom one on the Koala scene sometime ago but I mean something like only fading in the player area instead all the wall/ceiling

digiross likes this.