Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. LordMystirio

LordMystirio

Oh okay, thank you very much for the fast reply ^^. I'm really looking forward to use the engine. :)

reuno likes this.
  2. pabloawara

pabloawara

How can I change the FOV (Field of View)? If I change it in the inspector always return to 40, thanks

3. reuno

reuno

@awaralabs > Hard to answer without knowing what demo you're talking about. But in the Loft3D demo for example, you simply select the virtual camera, change the field of view to 80, press play, and this is what you get :

upload_2018-12-9_9-22-8.png

4. jolijar

jolijar

Is there a easy way to add pushable objects that can trigger buttons? been beating my head on it for a couple of days now.

5. reuno

reuno

@jolijar > None that won't require any coding. I can add that to my todo list though, it's a nice feature.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Report any further posts from irate users instead of directly engaging them, thanks!

jolijar and reuno like this.
  7. brk5m1n

brk5m1n

Work like so hard.
    Well done! Very interesting and great engine.

8. reuno

reuno

@brk5m1n > Thank you, glad you like it!

9. lobsterhat

lobsterhat

By default, what objects use the LevelManager by default in the minimum 2D scene? When I start my game, my class that extends the LevelManager is being disabled.

This behavior started when imported some code that had some naming conflicts (with camera Target class, possibly more). This ended up removing some class assignment I made in the Unity gui. I'm hoping I've lost a LevelManager assignment somewhere.

Also, when I start the game up, the base LevelManager executes classes that have been overridden by the extended manager.

10. reuno

reuno

@lobsterhat > There is no class I can think of that disables the LevelManager. It must be something in your code. I can't guess what :)

11. lobsterhat

lobsterhat

A revert and re-import plus a Unity restart cleared things up. Not a fan of the mystery fix, but it's working again, so I shouldn't complain :)

12. reuno

reuno

@lobsterhat > Yeah I don't like when that happens as well. But hey, it's working now :)

lobsterhat likes this.
  13. trblst

trblst

Hey, just bought your asset! I followed your instructions in the documentation to fix any issues I had while importing the project into an empty project. However, I am experiencing some other issues not mentioned. In some of the demos, the FOV on the camera is super zoomed in, I have not modified anything other than importing the asset. I noticed that the sword demo has the camera correctly placed, but the other demos seem super zoomed in, even though FOV is the same (40).

To note: The scene display looks correct, it's only when I start the game that the view is zoomed in. This issue also occurs when I do a full build and test the .exe.

I've attached some screenshots.
    TopDownTest1.png TopDownTest2.png TopDownTest3.png

Any advice? Thanks!

14. reuno

reuno

@trblst > That's extremely weird!
    It might be worth importing the project again, I'd guess you've changed something when fixing issues (what issues?), especially as the sword scene seems normal. There is nothing in the code that could result in this :)
    Do you get any errors or warnings? If the problem persists, please send me more info on the support email, thanks!

15. MilziPPG

MilziPPG

Hi!

@reuno, first of all, just wanted to thank you for making this engine. It's pretty excellent so far and really enjoying using it!

I have a little question about jumping in 2D (and this is to anyone who knows how to do this). And just to give some context, what I'm trying to do is create a 2D top-down RPG but that has platforming elements, hence the jumping.

So, the script doesn't deal with any movement, it just turns colliders on and off and the movement will be handled by the animation itself. Does anyone know how to just use a single frame animation (e.g. the jump from the original Super Mario Bros on NES) to jump. Basically, the jump should be proportional to the amount of time the jump button is pressed.

The 2D jump script has this feature (it's called Jump Proportional To Press). I have changed the numbers in the 2D jump script and turned off and on the Jump Proportional To Press but nothing seems to change.

Thank you for the engine and thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

16. reuno

reuno

@MilziPPG > ProportionalToPress in the 2D script is a bit misleading right now (I should hide it, thanks for reporting that), in that is does nothing indeed. It wouldn't make sense for it as it's, as you mention, animation driven.
    You can however look at the 3D version of that script, it does what you're after.

17. MilziPPG

MilziPPG

Thanks for the quick reply! I've looked at the 3D version of the script and it just makes my character move up the Y axis and then I can't jump again.

I'll fiddle around and see what I can do!

18. reuno

reuno

@MilziPPG > I meant this one implements a proportional press, but of course it won't work directly in 2D, it'd require some tweaking :)

19. trblst

trblst

Yeah, I've imported it into three fresh projects, and I have the same issue. I haven't touched a single setting, just opened the demo scene and started it.

For now I'll use the MinimalSword3D as my template, since it looks good.

20. reuno

reuno

@trblst > I have to admit I don't know what could cause this. If anybody else has the same problem, please contact me directly and we'll figure this out.

21. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

Apologies to those that were folowing, finally sorted out my new house and saw that the template had been updated to add a new animator controller with melee attack. It's pretty sup par but also setup differently to mine so I wanted to redo my tutorial on it. Will post the video once it's done.

22. phosphorous_

phosphorous_

I have been reading the documentation and watching some videos about this asset, and overall I am impressed about how comprehensive package it is!

However after testing the 3D "Loft"-demo (WebGL) I have some mixed feelings. That demo seems quite buggy (especially the doors):
    • the character can get launched high in the air after pushing against a door,
    • sometimes the character can just pass through the doors with recoil / knockback,
    • you can shoot through doors and thin walls, the weapon muzzle clips through them and the bullets spawn from the other side,
    • when the character dies it doesn't turn anymore, seems like the equipped weapon has dropped or disappeared (still shows it in the UI though, but not in the inventory)
    • after dying the character walk animation doesn't start playing anymore when moving (character moves around without animation).
    So is this something the user needs to fix and not really in the scope of the engine? Or is it that the 3D character controller is not that polished (yet)?

Thanks, I'll keep reading and might buy and test this out myself soon!

uberwiggett likes this.
  23. reuno

reuno

@phosphorous_ > Thanks for reporting these!
    The doors could indeed use some polish, I know of a few edge cases left that could be fixed. Regarding shooting through doors/walls, this is easily fixed by having either the character collider be bigger, or have the spawn point of projectiles closer to the collider's center, or by simply preventing shooting when close to walls. I'll look into the after death bug, it definitely shouldn't happen :)

24. VENOMOUS09

VENOMOUS09

can you please add in your next update a character selection screen and a way to lock the level in the level selection screen , i really need this for my game

25. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

The day this one gets ladder climbing / climbing. I'll be purchasing it.
    Take a look at games such as below, tunic...
    Top down + ladder climbing.

I love top down games, but that doesn't mean there can't be Y depth.

No bad words, just my personal thoughts.
    Regardless the asset looks fine btw. Good job.

If all of the above is allready implemented I'll buy it on sight :)

Good luck!
    Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Menn007 and Stevepunk like this.
  26. reuno

reuno

Stevepunk and zero_equals_zero like this.
  27. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, now that I am tinkering with an AI character I have a couple of suggestions...

1. Character Class Auto-building. It would be good to have an extra two options for adding 2d/3d AI Actions and Decisions (or maybe just the most commonly used ones). This was actually what I expected to happen with Autobuild AI Character 2d/3d but that wasn't the case.

2. AI Brain Presets - It would be good to have some kind of 'description' text field at the top of this component. Two use cases for this would be an empty GameObject (as a preset holder) with a ton of AI Brain components all set up to do different things (you can then copy/paste component values). Alternatively I assume that it's possible to have multiple brains on an enemy and switch between them at runtime - again this one line of description text would make it easier to tell what brain does what.

3. Safe Zone (if it doesn't exist) - an area that once a player enters it no enemies can detect them. I had thought that coding this myself would involved a trigger/collider and setting any AI settings for target distance/radius to zero(?).

Anyway, awesome job with this product! Lots of hidden goodies in there too :)

Stevepunk likes this.
  28. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > Thanks for these suggestions, I'll add them to the list!

Stevepunk likes this.
  29. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

It's right, the 2D demo work really good and look nice, but the 3D demo it's reallllllyyyyyyyyy cheap for the 55€.

the 3D Character controller need to have decent option, i dont understand how it's possible to sell something at that price where you can't use different animation when you have weapon equiped or weapon unequiped .. it's really crazy you have only one animation for walk and run ! And please, no blend tree in 2018 ? And in your code you have X/Y velocity for implemant movement blendtree that so why you didn't ? That take 10 min

I'm really disappointed and don't recommand this asset for 3D topdown, i didn't write review on the asset store, because i don't want to make 3 star, i now the dev will propably fix that because you always produce good work. But for the moment, 3D template need some work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    uberwiggett likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@Gui205 > You can absolutely have different animations whether your weapon is equipped or not. You can actually have unique animations per weapon, all that is built-in. You can also use blend trees if you want, nothing prevents you from that, it's actually highly encouraged. Just because the demo characters are simple doesn't mean you have to do the same, it's just a demo, a simple example to see how things work.
    "And in your code you have input X/Y for implemant that so why you didn't ?" > I don't know what you mean.

31. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Yes that's i wanna mean, we can do it but i regret it's not in the demo, and your asset have no documentation for that, so if someone have no familiarity with that he can't do it, because he have no support for achieve that

uberwiggett likes this.
  32. reuno

reuno

@Gui205 > But that's the thing, the engine is agnostic when it comes to animation, it's just standard Unity, and all that is already vastly documented on Unity's website. Any info you'll find online about blend trees or more complex animation techniques can be used with the engine. I could have included a much more complex example for sure, but what good would it do? Then people would complain it's too complex. I strongly believe each character needs a unique animator, there is no one way to do things, it has to be tailored.

33. reuno

reuno

@Gui205 > That said, if you have questions about how to setup your character, or how to get an info for your animator, don't hesitate to reach out on the support email, I'll be happy to help!

34. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Yes i see what you mean, maybe i execepted to much, like what you did with Corgi Engine or Infinite Runner Engine those 2 other asset have really good example with such of different complexity intresting for learn the possibility of your engine. For me that's part it a bit missing with this asset

uberwiggett likes this.
  35. reuno

reuno

@Gui205 > I try to apply the same level of quality on all my assets. I would argue that when it comes to animation, the TopDown Engine is the one that is the most advanced, and offers the most options. Again, if you feel like something is missing, I'd love your feedback, don't hesitate to drop me a line!

36. reuno

reuno

Note to all : I'll be off for a week starting tomorrow. If you need support, drop me an email on the support email and I'll check it as soon as I get back.

37. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

TheJellyThief.jpg Hey Reuno, just a suggestion for having boolean toggles to activate/deactivate any States/Transitions within a Brain so that you can iterate changes and decisions (human ones) heaps faster. I think that would cut out loads of dragging/dropping decision and action components.

Oh yeah, I was also thinking about the moving platforms. They really could do with some kind of trigger-the-movement action to facilitate player, enemy, or both agent types. That might provide more flexibility in level design.

Also, I am just trying to find some mention in the Docs about the use of the NavMesh. Was the NavMesh just to assist with the pathfinding stuff?

What I am working on at the moment is all just a prototype and a decent chance to tinker around with the engine with my own assets.

And... Merry Christmas and enjoy your break!

38. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > The boolean idea for states is a nice one, I'll make a note of this.
    Moving platforms can already be started/stopped at will, so I'm not sure if you're referring to a new feature or not :)
    As for NavMeshes, yes, they're just to assist for pathfinding. What other use would you see for them?

39. Pelix87

Pelix87

Is there a multiplayer plugin that works with TopDown Engine?

40. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Not sure if this is a bug or not but the 2D examples need a fix to use the cinemachine confiner (which keeps the camera bound to the level). If you run the demo scene the cinemachine confiner doesn't have the bounding shape 2D set. That's because the level manager has a box collider attached to it but it needs to be a polygon collider for the cinemachine confiner script to work.

To fix:
    1. Add a polygon collider 2D component to the LevelManager replacing the box collider that's there and edit the collider to the bounds of your scene (needs to be set as a trigger)
    2. Drag the LevelManager component into the Cinemachine Confiner Bounding Shape 2D property

Also with the 1.1 update the layers have changed so the last layer is 18. The 2D prefabs are set to use layer 19 (which was Player in 1.0) however if you set them to Player now they'll pass through walls. You have to create a new layer beyond 18 and set them or there's some fix in the code and/or configuration to make it work with the new Player layer (which is down around 10 or 11).

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    MudPuppet likes this.
  41. TobyM

TobyM

Hi! Got a question concerning preventing player input. I'm trying to create a simple cutscene system that works in tandem with my dialog system. So for example, while Dialog Line A is shown, the player character walks to the left for 2 Seconds, bevor he stops. Already implemented the player character movement, I'm just having some issue with preventing player input. I can't just completely freeze the player or deactivate the movement ability, so I tried _character.LinkedInputManager.InputDetectionActive = false; which works in theory. But the problem I'm having is that the player character keeps walking in one direction, if there was any directional input from the player, while InputDetectionActive was set to false. So I wanted to ask if there is any other way, to block player input, or at least to cancel any input, bevor setting the InputDetectionActive to false?

42. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, okay with NavMeshes - that's what I thought. With Moving Platforms I was referring to the 'Activation' section that you have on CE moving platforms.

Now onto another issue... on my player Health I have enabled Destroy on Death, and all of the death-like disabling options (model/collisions) etc. However, in my 3d scene when the player dies and the DeathSplash comes up I am still able to move the player around - this also happens with the Minimal 3d Character. I have yet to double-check level setups but it's basically a duplicate of your minimal 3d scene.

I am also wondering what the difference between 'Restart' and 'Reload Level' is. If I Restart then the AI Agents don't go back to their initial path position (even though I have Respawn at Initial Location enabled). If I 'Reload Level' they do go back to initial position. Would the 'Restart' be for perhaps restarting the level at the last or closest SpawnCheckpoint and then the Reload is like the complete Reset of the level?

Sorry of that comes across a bit noob-ish but I was a curious as to what you had intended.

43. reuno

reuno

I'm back! As I said in another topic, I got around 300 questions via email while I was off this week, so it's gonna take a little while for me to answer them all, but rest assured the answer is coming soon!

@Pelix87 > Not that I know of, but you could quite easily use UNet or PUN with the engine if you're comfortable with network programming.
    @bsimser > Thanks for sharing this! However I'm not sure I understand the problem it fixes, the confiner works fine in the 2D Koala demo out of the box : just select the LevelManager, edit its box collider (size 20,55,50 for example) and the confiner will work within these bounds. Maybe I misunderstand the issue? Thanks for reporting the layer thing, I'll fix it for the next release :)
    @TobyM > You can use the SetForce method on the controller to set it to zero before preventing input.
    @MudPuppet > I don't reproduce the problem, don't hesitate to drop me an email with steps to reproduce, I'll be happy to check it out. As for the difference between restart and reload, restart doesn't exit the scene, reload does (so it's a "hard" reset). Both can be useful, really depends on what you want to do!

44. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Must have been something I mixed up then. I had the confine mode setting in the cinemachine confiner set to Confine 2D and that won't work with a Box Collider. Once I changed it to "Confine 3D" it worked. Thanks!

45. reuno

reuno

@bsimser > I'm glad it's working now. Yours was a fine alternative solution though, especially if you want a non-box shaped confiner.

46. eboxrocks

eboxrocks

@reuno - I think I discovered a small bug in the engine (I'm on version 1.02). If you equip a weapon and then unequip it, you get a null pointer exception on CharacterInventory.cs line 212.

The reason for this is because the inventory event is fired after the item is unequipped in Inventory.cs lines 612 and 613. Flipping these lines around fixes the issue and the Inventory engine works again.

47. reuno

reuno

@eboxrocks > Thanks for reporting this, I'll look into it for the next release!

48. CoolMambo

CoolMambo

Found a bug in 1.02 Loft3d -- when you switch from a weapon that uses a weaponAim with a reticle (ie gun) to a melee weapon the character (Tie character) will not rotate.

49. reuno

reuno

@CoolMambo > Thanks for reporting this! I don't reproduce the issue in v1.1 though, so maybe it got fixed in the meantime. I'll add a sword pickup item to v1.2, just created one to test your issue.

50. matthewngweile

matthewngweile

Hello, i just want to say that this asset is really great! However, i have one issue on collision physics, not sure if anyone of you have them.

So basically if i get close to AI i could climb on their heads, and when AI get close to one another, they not only can climb on top of each other, but some of them got repelled and flew high up in the air!