Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mixxy

Mixxy

Hi! As far as I can tell I've set a 1 second delay on each point in my path, but my enemy just blows straight through each one without stopping. Where would you recommend I start troubleshooting? Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

upload_2019-12-10_18-49-9.png

2. reuno

reuno

@Mixxy > That delay value is for moving platforms, it's not taken into account by AI scripts.
    I can add that to the next release if you want.

3. Mixxy

Mixxy

Oh good! Here I was certain I was doing something wrong. I'm sure I can extend the script myself but I bet a lot of other folks would enjoy that functionality as well. Thank you for the fast reply!

4. reuno

reuno

@Mixxy > Oh you're not doing anything wrong :) It's used in the 3D patrol AI script but not the 2D one.
    I've added that feature to the next version, just drop me an email on the support form and I'll send you the updated class if you don't want to wait until the next release.

5. necro1970

necro1970

First time diving deep into the engine. Hmm... missing sprites in Koala2D? Am I missing something?

Tried reimporting, but got the same result.

Edit: Sent a report on the support form.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    reuno likes this.
  6. reuno

reuno

@necro1970 > That's never been reported before, I have no idea what could cause this, aside from a faulty import.
    If the issue persists, please use the support form and provide the requested info, as well as detailed steps of how you import.

7. reuno

reuno

@necro1970 > I just realized I misunderstood your screenshot. These are remnant files that can be safely removed. Thanks for the detailed steps though!

8. necro1970

necro1970

9. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Is there a feature on MMFeedbacks system to stop an audio or override it until a specific is audio is over? For example stopping the background music and sfx to play a specific audio then resuming it once the feedback is over

10. reuno

reuno

@lessthanthreewizard > There isn't, but it's a really good idea, I'll put that on my todo list.

lessthanthreewizard likes this.
  11. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Thank you! I've found a sort of temporary solution if anyone needs it, I added a SetActive feedback and made so it sets the SoundManager gameobject and BackgroundMusic gameobject to inactive when the feedback starts, and then to set them back to active when the feedback ends.

Muppo and reuno like this.
  12. gamebox777

gamebox777

Hello. TopDownEngine is great!
    Do you have any questions,
    Rotate the camera with the right stick, etc., and the player ’s movement is constant regardless of the camera direction (press down to go down)
    What should I do with such a process?
    --------------------------------------
    こんにちは。TopDownEngine素晴らしいです!
    質問があるのですが、
    カメラを右スティックなどで回転させ、カメラの向きにかかわらずプレイヤーの移動は一定(下を押したら下に進む)、
    という様な処理はどのようにすれば良いでしょうか?

13. reuno

reuno

@rin-studio > That's not a feature of the engine right now, you'd have to implement it. Best way to do so would probably be to use Cinemachine's orbital setup.
    You can see a full list of features on the asset's page, if it's not listed, it's not in the engine (yet).

gamebox777 likes this.
  14. gamebox777

gamebox777

Thank you for your quick response!
    Yes. I write my own script, which script do I need to modify?
    I think that if you match the camera's input direction with the camera's Y-axis direction, you can match the input with the camera.
    I want you to tell me which part I should work on
    ----------------------------------
    素早い返答ありがとう!
    はい。自分でスクリプトを書くのですがどのスクリプトに手を加える必要があるでしょうか?
    プレイヤーの入力方向にカメラのY軸方向を合わせれば、入力とカメラを合わせられると考えているのですが、
    どの部分に手を加えると良いか教えてほしいです

15. reuno

reuno

@rin-studio > I can't tell you what to do :)
    As I said, the best way would probably be to use Cinemachine's orbital setup. Feel free to do that differently. In any case, there's no need to modify any script, creating a new one, dedicated to that specific behaviour, would be much easier. If you have more questions like that, please use the support form instead, thanks.

gamebox777 likes this.
  16. gamebox777

gamebox777

Thank you. I'll try
    ありがとう。試してみます

17. mightygo

mightygo

Hi, just want to know if I want to port my game to the switch or Ps4 is it straightforward to make the engine respond to the switch/ps4controllers ? As currently some of the buttons function with the mouse clicking onto it, im just unsure where and how to make the buttons on the eg: nintendo switch to respond to to it or have the level select to scroll with the response of the switch controller.

thanks.

18. reuno

reuno

@mightygo > As explained in the dedicated section of the documentation, this is handled like in any Unity project, via the InputManager's bindings. It's as straightforward as can be.

19. lolclol

lolclol

when i added lwrp it all went blue in game mode.

Attached Files:

20. christougher

christougher

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    lessthanthreewizard and reuno like this.
  21. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Hello! I've read in the Corgi engine documentation that there's a progress manager, Is there any way to handle such thing in the TopDown engine?

22. reuno

reuno

@lessthanthreewizard > That's not a feature of the engine for now, but it's very high on the todo list.
    It's of course completely possible to implement such a progress manager right now, but it's not built in.

lessthanthreewizard likes this.
  23. Juhone

Juhone

Hey guys. I just got the TopDown engine and started playing with it. I was wondering how to change animations based on walking direction and aiming direction?
    For example in Loft3D when you move left but aim right, the character animation is forward walking (I know there's only forward walking animation), but what if I wanted the animation to change to backward walking animation when you're walking in one direction, but aiming at the opposite direction. Any ideas how this can be done? I tried to search this thread, but couldn't find an answer.

24. reuno

reuno

25. JKURNIA

JKURNIA

Hi, I just picked up Unity and I am a bit overwhelm with the amount of tutorials and information out there. I got the TopDown Engine hoping to be able to learn by doing, absolutely love it so far, but I am hitting a wall when trying to design my own 2d levels and I can't find a tutorial to do this in the documentation. Could you point me to the right direction or tutorials to check out?

26. reuno

reuno

@JKURNIA > This is done like you would in any Unity project, there isn't much that is specific to the engine there (what's specific is covered by the documentation of course).
    It really depends on how you want to setup your level. If you want to do it via tilemaps, you can learn more in Unity's dedicated documentation (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Tilemap.html for example).
    If you want to work with sprites instead, you'll need to create and import them (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SpriteCreator.html), then add colliders, etc.
    There are tons of tutorials about that on youtube. I have to admit I don't look at them much, I'm not the most qualified to pick one, but this one seems ok

27. JKURNIA

JKURNIA

@reuno > Thank you for the pointers and quick response!

reuno likes this.
  28. Juhone

Juhone

29. reuno

reuno

@Juhone > You can see a full list of animation parameters in the dedicated section of the documentation. Each of them is explained there (among other places). In that specific case the parameters you'd have to use for the blend tree are the ones specified at the top of the screenshot I posted.

30. Janvier123

Janvier123

for the love of god, can someone explain how to turn that horrible screen share off? Ive tried every setting and its still shaking

31. reuno

reuno

@Janvier123 > I'm gonna assume you meant screen shake, not screen share.
    Without knowing exactly what you refer to, or what the every setting you've tried are, it's hard to help. If you were talking about the weapon use shake, then as explained in the documentation, that's a MMFeedback triggered by (and set on) the weapon. If you were referring to the camera noise, then it's a standard Cinemachine feature, set there.

32. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Hi, there is a way to input delay between the character grid movement? I like to do a cadence game and if i keep the button down the character moves continuosly.

Also there is a way to block the char from moving far in the grid? I don't want it to move to the border of the grid for example.

33. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > That's not something that is built in, but the API is exposed, you should be able to implement additional delay if you want, the system supports it. As for blocking, I'd suggest adding colliders to prevent your character from going where you don't want it to go, that's usually the easiest solution.

34. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Thats the doubt, i don't know which script i have to edit for the delay, if the gridmovement or input manager

35. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > You'll want to extend the grid movement controller or create your own, that's probably the easiest way.

36. Mixxy

Mixxy

I get the following error whenever I mark an inventory as persistent:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MoreMountains.InventoryEngine.Inventory.ExtractSerializedInventory (MoreMountains.InventoryEngine.SerializedInventory serializedInventory) (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/InventoryEngine/InventoryEngine/Scripts/Core/Inventory.cs:447)
    MoreMountains.InventoryEngine.Inventory.LoadSavedInventory () (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/InventoryEngine/InventoryEngine/Scripts/Core/Inventory.cs:400)
    MoreMountains.InventoryEngine.Inventory.OnMMEvent (MoreMountains.Tools.MMGameEvent gameEvent) (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/InventoryEngine/InventoryEngine/Scripts/Core/Inventory.cs:766)
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMEventManager.TriggerEvent[MMEvent] (MMEvent newEvent) (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Events/MMEventManager.cs:162)
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMGameEvent.Trigger (System.String newName) (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Events/MMEventManager.cs:29)
    MoreMountains.TopDownEngine.LevelManager.Start () (at Assets/TopDownEngine/Common/Scripts/Managers/LevelManager.cs:108)
    I can't quite figure out what I did to cause this issue but I know it was working fine until recently. I'll keep troubleshooting it in the morning but I figured I'd ask before I quit for the night, in case I'm not the first person to break it this way. Thanks.

37. reuno

reuno

@Mixxy > I don't know what you could have done to get this error.
    Opening any of the demo scenes from a fresh install and checking that checkbox can't output that error (or any error). I'd need repro steps via the support form to be able to help you.

38. Mixxy

Mixxy

Thanks for checking. I'm going to load a backup from last week and see if I can replicate the problem. I'll report back if I find the issue, and on a support ticket if relevant.

reuno likes this.
  39. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

i put the colliders to prevent moving far from where i want but the char does not move more when he hits the collider. Is just a simple object with a box collider 2d.

40. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > If you want behaviours that are not in the engine (such as "I don't want a character to move when it hits a collider"), you'll have to implement them.

41. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

i think i explained incorrectly. I put a box collider as a limit, i dont want my char to go through this coliider, but i want to move to the opposite side of this collider when i touch it. What is happening is when i touch the limit collider, the char does not pass through this collider (expect behaviour) but the char stucks and does not move more (unexpected behaviour).

42. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. You'll find plenty of examples of colliders throughout the engine. Look maybe at the Explodudes demo for an example of that in the context of a grid. If the issue persists please use the support form and provide exact steps to reproduce your issue in any of the demo scenes.

43. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

upload_2020-1-4_17-53-9.png
    When the minimal2dgrid char touches the collider the char stucks, it does not move anymore.

44. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > As I said, please use the support form and provide steps to reproduce the issue. And again maybe look at the Explodudes example, it's a grid, it's got colliders, it prevents movement and nobody gets stuck.

tallesmaziero likes this.
  45. patrickk2

patrickk2

Hello everyone!

I am working on a ball run kind of game, and would very much like to use the TopDown Engine, because I am very impressed what I have seen of it so far. I hoped that someone could point me in the right direction what to do, to make the ball actually appear rolling, instead of just moving about while appearing not to rotate? Ideally I wanted to steer the ball by applying force to it, but I assume that this would interfere with the TopDown controller script.

Any hints on how to create a player character that is actually a rolling ball would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Patrick

46. reuno

reuno

@patrickk2 > I'd say that depends on the feel you're after. If you want something that feels physics based, then creating and using a dedicated, fully physics based controller would be the best idea. That wouldn't prevent you from using the rest of the features of the engine. If you're after something that feels more tight, then using the main controller included in the engine would work better. And then you could handle the rolling of the ball purely via an animator, or a dedicated class that just takes info from the controller, and actively rotates the ball based on that. That's probably what I'd go with.

47. patrickk2

patrickk2

Hello!

Thank you @reuno for your swift answer! I will look into those options.

Best regards,
    Patrick

reuno likes this.
  48. ShiackHeron

ShiackHeron

is there a way for ai characters to avoid obstacles in 2D , I
    want to implement some pathfinding but before going too deep I'd like to know if there's not something like that already implemented

49. reuno

reuno

@Shiack > No, there isn't. I'd recommend A*.

50. ShiackHeron

ShiackHeron

Thank you very much. I'll get to it

reuno likes this.