Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Alright, let me know if you run into issues with it.

Muppo likes this.
  2. Lengjai

Lengjai

reuno

@Lengjai > It's on the todo list, I'll add your vote to it.

Is this feature on top of the priority list and would you say we will expect to see an update with this feature very soon? Thanks.

3. reuno

reuno

@Lengjai > I wouldn't say very soon, it hasn't received many votes so far, there are more urgent things that'll come first.
    Plus it's really just a matter of storing booleans, so I suppose that's why most people are requesting more complex stuff.

4. Muppo

Muppo

Well, it worked fine. Just the FreezeCharacters not working (guess this doesn't exists on TDE yet) aside that, basic dialogue do its thing.

Will try my custom stuff for mini quests tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/Z6aevNw.gifv
    (in case pic doesn't show, here's the link to the gif)

reuno likes this.
  5. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Hello! first of all I just want to say fantastic asset! I've been playing around with the AI system and its been alot of fun; But I've noticed that theres no AI Action to move away from the target? I'm still really new to how the AI system works and I was wondering if there is anyway I could possibly modify the current available AIMoveTowardsTarget script to make it do the opposite? Thanks!

6. reuno

reuno

@lessthanthreewizard > If you want to do things the way the system is designed for, you'd pick a new "target" and use an action to move there. But there's nothing preventing you from creating a new action that would move you in the opposite direction of a target, that's also completely valid. And you could absolutely use the current AIMoveTowardsTarget as a basis for that. It'd come down to inverting the direction, it should be more or less that simple, depending on what exactly you're after.

7. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Thank you! I managed to make it work by inverting the movement values in the script and now its exactly how I wanted it.

reuno likes this.
  8. M0ti

M0ti

There is something like voting and todo lists? Is it public?

9. reuno

reuno

@M0ti > No, it's not public, people just send requests, I store the votes and prioritize based on that.

10. Muppo

Muppo

Needed a bit of rework, but the Dialogue Items script for Corgi Engine is working fine now on Top Down Engine. I love how well made are both even a non coder can tweak stuff. Kudos to @reuno ;)

reuno likes this.
  11. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

@Muppo Was it hard to rework it to fit the topdownengine? Did you have to import the entire package or only the dialogue related assets? Because I was thinking about buying the Dialogue System asset but I don't intend on using advanced dialogues in the near future so I thought about buying the corgi engine to get a simple dialogue and an engine aswell

12. reuno

reuno

13. Muppo

Muppo

@lessthanthreewizard , as Reuno said, just copy the DialogueZone and DialogueBox scripts from Corgi to TopDown. Keep in mind those are intended for 2D, so you have to tweak some things for 3D use.

IlyaKo likes this.
  14. mightygo

mightygo

Hello! Would you be able to guide me how to make certain levels unaccessible and only accessible if eg: I collect a key in the level ?

15. reuno

reuno

@mightygo > Store a boolean per level. Set it true to unlock it. If it's false, prevent access to the level.

16. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

Hey! Sorry to bother again but I have a bit of a problem and I don't know how to fix it, whenever I change the render pipeline in the project settings I can't see anything when I hit play in the editor; all I see is a blue screen, am I supposed to set the render pipeline somewhere else aswell for it to work?

17. reuno

reuno

@lessthanthreewizard > If you change the render pipeline you'll need to setup stuff again : shaders, cameras, post processing, etc. Note that this has nothing to do with the engine, that's how it works. Hard to tell without more info but in this case I'm gonna guess you're switching to LWRP, which doesn't support camera stacking, so you'll have to come up with a different solution for that.

18. mightygo

mightygo

reuno

@mightygo > Store a boolean per level. Set it true to unlock it. If it's false, prevent access to the level.

Hello, is there some sort of level progress manager to input this by any chance?

19. reuno

reuno

@mightygo > Not yet there isn't, it's on the todo list at the moment.
    Getting very close to the top of it.

20. Necka_

Necka_

Hi Reuno, I just remembered that you said that a while back

That was related to the script modification to get 8D animation

I probably missed it but where is the example you are mentioning above?

21. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > Based on the date I think I was referring to the Grasslands example. But yeah the engine has been supporting directional animations for a long while now.

22. Necka_

Necka_

@reuno, thanks I just checked and it appears this is only valid for 2D. If I'm not mistaken it's the new Animator Parameters: [HorizontalDirection] and [VerticalDirection]

I just quickly searched for that in all TDE solution and it's added on CharacterOrientation2D (I was wondering when having those parms in my 3D Model Animator it wasn't updated)

My goal was to have 8 directional strafing while aiming with a mouse. a solution was posted back in April which modify the CharacterMovement.cs but it has some sort of a bug that I can't tackle..

Would you mind helping out on adding that on the 3D mode or it was not your goal?

23. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > You can absolutely do advanced directional movement with 3D as well.
    The engine comes packed with more animation parameters than you probably need, and you don't have to modify anything. You can see their full list in the animation documentation. And yes, a dedicated example is coming.

In the meantime, setting up your blend tree like so will give you directional walk and run :

This is just one of the many options enabled by the engine's parameters.

mickeyband and Necka_ like this.
  24. Necka_

Necka_

Well, my bad for missing those Remapped parameters then :) looks like it is what I require!
    Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, will start working with this

reuno likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > With 9 animation parameters dedicated to character speed(s) I think the engine natively covers all common ways to animate navigation. I'll be happy to add more if people request more of course, but I believe it's a strong basis.

26. gothicserpent

gothicserpent

hello,

i have a quick suggestion for you on your documentation page. you had mentioned that the engine should be updated to a fresh project, but sometimes if a user wants to update his game using new asset store code, it may be best to do the following:

"if you imported in an existing project, that you didn't first remove the engine's folder".

as you had suggestion previously in the forum.

just a suggestion may be to add into the documentation page for install: https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/install.html

to add in some of this info to help users when they are either installing a new version or updating their engine version:
    • Updating Unity Games
      • Updating Editor Version
        • Download new unity editor version on unity hub
        • Copy existing project, making new directory name match new unity version
        • Open the copied project with the new version from unity hub, select OK for upgrade
      • Updating Asset Store Version
        • Delete “Assets/CorgiEngine” or “Assets/TopDownEngine”
        • In Asset store, import “CorgiEngine” or “TopDownEngine”
        • Under “Import Unity Package” dialog, scroll all the way down to “Project Settings”, uncheck all here
    those are the steps i used. maybe this will help someone new? hopefully!

reuno likes this.
  27. reuno

reuno

@gothicserpent > Thanks for the suggestion! I have to admit most people seem to be doing ok with this, and it's really not specific to any of the engine, it's just how Unity works. But I'll keep that in mind and if more people have trouble importing the asset in the future.

28. judemcenth

judemcenth

hello everyone, I dont know if this is a bug within unity or within the asset but upon adding lights to my scene the player sprite turns black whenever it rotates to the opposite direction as shown in the pictures below, i tried changing the z scale value on the player prefab and on the character orientation script but nothing worked

Attached Files:

29. reuno

reuno

@markfann > This might be a shader issue? Hard to tell without knowing the rest of your setup. In any case, the engine doesn't do anything on the rendering side, so it's clearly outside its scope. You should be able to test and fix that in isolation and bring the result in the engine without issue.

30. judemcenth

judemcenth

My player prefab has the sprite diffuse shader on it, I think thats the only way to get sprites to react to lighting so I don't think theres another option even if it was a shader issue

31. reuno

reuno

@markfann > Does that work if you do the exact same setup in other scenes?
    I don't believe the default diffuse sprite shader works with lights, but I may be wrong.
    Again, completely unrelated to the engine so I'm not 100% positive :)
    And yes, there are tons of other options, I usually create my own sprite shaders for situations like that as the ones that ship with Unity are fairly limited when you want to do advanced stuff.

32. judemcenth

judemcenth

Ah okay sorry I didn't know there were other alternatives, I thought the only way you could work lighting on 2D was with the sprites diffuser shader; I will take a look around thanks for the help!

reuno likes this.
  33. judemcenth

judemcenth

Hey sorry if I'm asking too many questions and this one is kind of complicated but I duplicated the touch input analog and set it to secondary movement so the player can aim with it and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about making it so when the analog is dragged to a certain point for example the edges of the analog container it triggers the shootbuttondown from inputmanager

34. reuno

reuno

@markfann > Extend that class, and on update test its value against your threshold, and trigger an action if that's the case.

35. christougher

christougher

I don't know if you have Control Freak 2 but the example controllers I made for it have a secondary aim that does just that... aiming great and then firing if you drag your finger a little further away...

reuno likes this.
  36. lessthanthreewizard

lessthanthreewizard

I have control freak 2 and it works great except that when I open the pause menu during the game the pause buttons don't work even if I click them or hover my mouse on them, Did you encounter this problem and if you did how did you fix it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work by simply disabling the CF rig when the topdownengine opens the pause menu and re-enabling it when the pause menu exits out

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  37. gothicserpent

gothicserpent

hi again! quick suggestion with topdownengine code.

Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/GUI/MMHealthBar.cs line 264:

could change

Instantiate(InstantiatedOnDeath, this.transform.position + HealthBarOffset, this.transform.rotation);

to

Instantiate(InstantiatedOnDeath, this.transform.position, this.transform.rotation);

when an object is instantiated on death, it seems more intuitive to be at the exact position of the character rather than where the health bar is.

38. reuno

reuno

@gothicserpent > This is a healtbar script, and as explained in the documentation, "InstantiatedOnDeath links to gameobject (usually a particle system) to instantiate when the healthbar reaches zero". Could be a "healthbar explodes" effect, disappears, etc. That's why it's spawned there, and that's why it takes the offset into account.
    If you want to instantiate stuff when your character dies at the character's position, you can look for hooks in the Health script.

39. M0ti

M0ti

@reuno When MMEvent is triggered, not all listeners can hear it. Is that a bug or is there a setting on how many listeners can get the message on one trigger or something?
    I've implemented an MMEventListener<TopDownEngineEvent> on a PickableItem so that when the RespawnStarted hits the item should destroy self.
    But on each restart, only a certain portion of pickable items disappear.

40. reuno

reuno

@M0ti > I'm not aware of a situation where MMEvents wouldn't be heard by all listeners, that never happened to me. I'd need exact repro steps, don't hesitate to use the support form to provide them, I'll be happy to have a look.

M0ti likes this.
  41. jaxas

jaxas

Hi Reuno, had you ever tried to merge TopDown engine with Corgie engine? Or it's not possible because of similar class names etc? Or you could give some advice to speed up merge process, thanks :)

42. ncho

ncho

Is it possible to use 2D characters in 3D levels? If so what needs to be changed exactly eg in the Minimal 3D template? just swapping out the prefab obviously borks everything so I suppose it has to be more than that...

43. reuno

reuno

@jaxas > If you check the FAQ you'll have an answer to that :) https://topdown-engine.moremountains.com/topdown-engine-contact#faq
    @ncho > If you're asking if it's possible to use the 2D demo characters in the 3D demo scenes, then no, it's not. These are two separate systems. The engine supports both, but they don't mix (like in normal Unity). That said you could absolutely create a 3D character and put a sprite on it instead of a 3D model, there's nothing preventing you to do right now.

44. jaxas

jaxas

Thanks Reuno, your code well writen, so i think i can handle it :)

reuno likes this.
  45. Ya7yasugari

Ya7yasugari

Hi all,

== EDIT : answered via support mail, thanks ! ==

Dear Reuno,

Sorry if it's a stupid question (I sent an email on support) but I guess it could help other users:

How could I add a zoom in zoom out function for the camera in Minimal2D scene ?

(i am TOTALLY new to Cinemachine... i need to watch a couple tutos before going in i guess....)

Thanks a lot.

46. reuno

reuno

@Ya7yasugari > No need to send your message twice. As I've already told you, you can target your virtual camera's ortho size, and/or your pixel perfect component's settings, depending on your context and what you're after.

47. Ya7yasugari

Ya7yasugari

yes thanks did not know which you prefered, here or by email.

thx

48. reuno

reuno

@Ya7yasugari > The support form is fine for support questions :)

49. gothicserpent

gothicserpent

Hi,

Thought you might be able to use this for your upcoming save/load system if you like.

I'm using it in my game to save and load to disk. (user has to add GetScene to a load button, and SetScene and SaveManager as objects in each scene).

https://pastebin.com/tkqmDcVn

Thanks for the great platform!

reuno and IlyaKo like this.
  50. reuno

reuno

Just a small message to let you know that I keep getting support questions from people using Unity 2019.3.x. While I reproduce all their issues, none of them are due to the engine, and are just, sadly, bugs with Unity editor. Even the latest "pre release" is in a sorry state, and I wouldn't recommend switching to it right now. I'm sure all these bugs will be fixed for the actual release of .3, but until then I'd recommend waiting.

Necka_ and IlyaKo like this.