Search Unity

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > I can't think of anything that would prevent you from having your pet on any other layer than Enemies. It's hard to tell what's wrong with your setup here without any info though. Please use the support form and provide more info if the issue persists.

2. BioBurden

BioBurden

One last question - the first post mentions "decorative field of view". What is this exactly?
    For my game, I'd like all of the rooms to remain hidden until explored or entered (fog of war). Is this possible? If so, how exactly?

Thanks in advance.

3. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > This is the decorative "field of view" effect you can see in the Koala demo scene for example. The same class is also used to detect objects in some AI scripts.
    While it could be repurposed to get what you're after, I wouldn't recommend it (it's costly). Fortunately what you describe is exactly one of the main features of the next release :)

MudPuppet likes this.
  4. BioBurden

BioBurden

Oh wow, that's fantastic. Very fortunate indeed

5. baconbeastnz

baconbeastnz

Hi there, I have an issue. MinimalScene3D FPS seems to be capped at 20 when deployed to Android, despite TargetFrameRate being set at 300. I've also tried adding MMFPSUnlock.cs to a gameobject and fiddling with the TargetFrameRate and VSyncCount values but no luck. I'm deploying to a Pixel 3 XL which should have plenty of power and to be sure I also started a blank Unity project and deployed it to check it ran at 60 on the device.

6. reuno

reuno

@baconbeastnz > There is nothing in the engine that is capping FPS at 20. I'd recommend profiling your build to see what your bottleneck is. I don't own a Pixel3XL but I've deployed games on Pixel 1 using the engine and had them at 60fps. The engine itself is super low footprint, as looking at profiling data will show you. If you can provide more data via the support form I may be able to help more.

7. baconbeastnz

baconbeastnz

Hi @reuno, thanks for your quick reply, I managed to get it working. Apologies for the naive question I'm very new to Unity. It looks like the issue was caused by the fact that I was using the default rendering pipeline in Unity, I've since switched over to URP and it runs great now. Thanks for your help, absolutely love the engine!

8. reuno

reuno

@baconbeastnz > I'm glad you got it working. Note that the numbers I was referring to in my previous post were with the legacy renderer, it's completely manageable. But if URP works for you, stick to it :)

9. baconbeastnz

baconbeastnz

@reuno Ah I see! Ok thank you that's handy to know that the legacy renderer is suitable for mobile after some tweaking. Perhaps I will look at that as an option as I'm having a weird issue with URP whereby my camera is just a solid blue colour.

Replication steps are:

1. Start a new Unity project
    2. Import Top-down engine
    3. Install Universal RP 7.1.8
    4. Create URP asset
    5. Generate shaders for URP
    5. Re-play the game (Camera is Blue although UI elements are poking through)

The main Camera and CM vcam1 are working ok but the UI Camera has solid blue on it. https://imgur.com/a/nSJoyy4
    If I change background type from solid color to skybox I just get the default unity skybox on my screen instead of my actual character + World.

10. reuno

reuno

@baconbeastnz > That seems normal, one of the (many) issues of URP is that it doesn't support camera stacking.
    There are ways to solve this, but that's outside the scope of the engine. A short term solution could be to play with the cameras depths. If you have more questions please use the support form, thanks.

11. baconbeastnz

baconbeastnz

Thank you @reuno. For anyone else facing this problem. Universal RP 7.2.0 supports camera stacking all you need to do is expand Universal RP in the package manager window and install the pre-release. Go to 'UI Camera' and change render type to 'Overlay'. Then go to 'Main Camera' -> Inspector window -> add 'UI Camera' to the stack and it will work. (This is when using Minimal Scene 3D as a template)

Dangoring and Ioruko like this.
  12. reuno

reuno

@baconbeastnz > Yes, the pre release supports it, but I wouldn't recommend using it in production, that's why I didn't mention it.

13. Zetazed

Zetazed

Hello. first i want to say the TDE is a fantastic asset, thank u very much.
    I've been using it for a few months now and I have come across this problem: i use ragdolls on my enemies ("Character Ragdoll on death" on the main game object and "MM Ragdoller" on the model container) and it's working great so far. But sometimes (actually most of the time) when an enemy stands close to a dead enemy and fires a weapon and the player gets hit, the dead enemy flies straight up in the air. I slowed down time and found out it happens exactly the moment when the enemy bullet hits the player. i have no idea why this is happening. I tried to change the physic settings, different layers on the limbs, projection in the ragdoll settings, fiddle with the colliders.. nothing worked so far.
    It also happens in a clean project with only TDE installed. for example in the loft3d scene when you apply ragdolls to the enemies. Maybe somebody here knows why this is happening. its pretty frustrating :-(

14. reuno

reuno

@Zetazed > I've never run into that specific issue, nor do I reproduce it in the Loft scene if I setup enemies to use ragdolls. You can see a proper implementation of that on the enemies in the MinimalSword3D demo scene. My guess as to why it happens in your scene would be a bad ragdoll setup, hopefully looking at the example will help.
    If the issue persists, please use the support form and provide exact repro steps of your problem (ideally from one of the demo scenes) and I'll be happy to have a look at it.

15. gwaiLoFi

gwaiLoFi

In the Koala Dungeon scene, I've added a static sign with a Sprite Renderer, a Rigidbody 2D, and a Box Collider 2D, and the sign floats upwards and downwards within the room in which it is placed.

I've tried disabling everything but the Sprite Renderer, as well as using different Rigidbody settings, but I still get this floating behavior, and I'm not quite sure why. Is there something I should be doing when adding items to a scene bootstraped with Koala Dungeon ?

16. reuno

reuno

@njwest > Not really, no, it's quite straightforward, and very much standard Unity.
    I'm not sure what behaviour you're after but using a rigidbody for a static element may not be a good idea. There's a good chance you don't need one.

17. gwaiLoFi

gwaiLoFi

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I am sort of confused by what I am experiencing, I'm now going with just a Sprite Renderer and a 2D Box Collider but the item still floats -- here is a video of the behavior and the inspector for the sprite game object + sprite file:

Unity Verison: 2019.3.0f6
    macOS Version: 10.14.6 (18G3020

18. reuno

reuno

It's extremely hard to tell from a cropped video like that, but I would suppose that you put your sprite on a different z than the rest of the level and the camera noise gives this result.

gwaiLoFi likes this.
  19. gwaiLoFi

gwaiLoFi

That was exactly it, thanks for helping me with this noob issue... :confused:

reuno likes this.
  20. Rodlaiz

Rodlaiz

Hi, I'm forced to ask this because I've been struggling with lights and shaders all morning but I cannot seem to make it work. Is there a way to make the edges of the cone of vision soft? I mean, the further we're from the center of the circle the less alpha the cone of vision have, like a radial gradient. Thanks a bunch! I love all your assets in the store!

21. farazk86

farazk86

So I searched this thread and I am the only one who seems to be having this problem.

No matter what I do my characters Movement State is "Falling"

Ive created the characters based on the autobuild 2D character and copied everything from Koala2D as I used that scene as a guide. When the Koala2D is in its own scene its movement state is Idle - as it should be- but when I use that character in my own scene the default state is "Falling"

The same is for my small test character.

space bar changes it to "Jumping" but rather than going back to idle, it goes back to falling. Although I dont have any falling animation in my character.

Ive created a small test stage using tilemap 2d and set the ground layer to Ground and set tilemap colliders as well, but the default state is still falling.

I cant figure out how to fix this or why is my default state not idle.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ive added the screenshot of this happening, and showing that the Koala prefab, using Minimal2D scene and my grid is in constant falling state?

Attached Files:

• 21.PNG
      21.PNG
      File size:
      86.3 KB
      Views:
    • b1.PNG
      b1.PNG
      File size:
      209 KB
      Views:
    • 6656.PNG
      6656.PNG
      File size:
      787.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  22. farazk86

farazk86

I still cant figure out why my model is always falling on my tilemap - but when I copy in the stage/level from the demo files to my scene, my knight model works fine and is no longer falling.

Based on above reply, I even ensured that the z-values for my stage is in the same heirarchy and z-values as the demo, but my player still is falling. having the exact same z-values as the demo stages I copied into my scene.

I dont know whats going on, anyone have a clue?

23. reuno

reuno

@Rodlaiz > That's not something built-in in the demo shader, but if you implement a fresnel shader it's quite doable, yes.
    @farazk86 > z-values have nothing to do with collisions, so it's probably completely unrelated. My guess would be wrong layer or collision matrix, but without more data it's really hard to tell, I can't guess just from these screenshots.I'd suggest looking at the documentation, and comparing with the demo scenes. If the issue persists, please send more info via the support form, thanks.

24. farazk86

farazk86

Thanks but I managed to figure out what the problem was.

The issue was with the composite collider component on the floor tilemap. The geometry type by default is "outlines", and this was the problem.

When I changed the geometry type to "polygons" my character is no longer constantly falling and animations work as normal.

This was not mentioned in the documentation as a requirement, am I the only one having this problem?

This can be recreated in the Koala2D demo scene as well, disable the default level, and create a new ground using tilemap system and set layer to ground. Add colliders and composite colliders and leave settings at default... THe Koala is in a falling state.

reuno likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@farazk86 > Yes, you'll want your geometry to be polygons, otherwise well you've just got an edge collider, not a ground. It's more a Unity thing than an engine thing, and I have to admit I can't remember anyone having an issue with that before, but I can add a note about this in the documentation, maybe it'll be useful to others.

farazk86 likes this.
  26. Rodlaiz

Rodlaiz

reuno likes this.
  27. lolclol

lolclol

But i dont want to use the post processing stack like bloom and other fx? i want to use my own post fx ?

28. reuno

reuno

@lolclol > You don't have to use them if you don't want to, there's nothing preventing you from running your own :)

lolclol likes this.
  29. Mechanical-Paladin

Mechanical-Paladin

When using grid movement, the character gets stuck if the obstacle box collider is not aligned properly with the grid.
    Is this intended behaviour?
    Also, the MinimalGrid3D sample scene produces a lot of errors.

Attached Files:

30. reuno

reuno

@Mechanical-Paladin > Yes, that's the intended behaviour, things have to be aligned to the grid (even if they don't visually, the colliders need to be).
    I'm not aware of these errors, they've never been reported before, I'd need to know more about your context to be able to tell you why you're getting them. Please send me more info (especially about how to reproduce them from a fresh install of the asset, in an empty project) via the support form, I'll be happy to check it out.

31. Mechanical-Paladin

Mechanical-Paladin

Thanks for the quick reply. Submitted the support ticket.
    Will grid movement ever have the ability to push objects like boxes?

32. reuno

reuno

@Mechanical-Paladin > I didn't get any ticket, you might want to send it again. Edit : scratch that, just got it.
    And push in grid movement hasn't been requested yet, but if you do a feature request for it, it'll be added to the todo list.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  33. creepteks

creepteks

Hi, @reuno. I got a question about using this asset for an online multiplayer, top-down dungeon crawl game.

I want some pieces of advice on how to handle the networking. Have any of your customers used your asset for online multiplayer games? what networking solution do you recommend?

34. reuno

reuno

@mahdad_baghani > It really depends on your project's specs, there's no universal answer to this question. Most people seem to be using Photon. I use Mirror, most of the time. Eventually it's just a tool, it doesn't matter much :)

35. farazk86

farazk86

This is related to MMFeedbacks and I cant find its thread so posting it here.

Is it possible to call a C# function from MMFeedback? I have a death animation that needs to be destroyed after it is played as its last frame is not empty.

Thanks

36. reuno

reuno

@farazk86 > There's a MMFeedbackEvent just for that.

farazk86 likes this.
  37. reuno

reuno

Good news, I've just pushed v1.7 of the TopDown Engine to the Asset Store.
    As usual it fixes all bugs known to date, updates MMFeedbacks, Inventory Engine, and adds a few QoL features.

Full release notes :
    - Adds a StopAllLoopingSounds method to the SoundManager
    - WeaponLaserSight now also supports 2D
    - Improves the way relative speeds animation parameters are computed
    - Adds weapon driven direction support to CharacterOrientation2D, on all axis, not just x
    - Adds an option to have the 3D aim reticle follow slopes, and to have aim act accordingly, letting you shoot at higher/lower targets
    - Adds better pause sequence, and the TogglePause event type
    - Adds support for multiple AmmoDisplays
    - Improves the robustness of Cinemachine vcams follow/unfollow behaviour
    - Adds better pause events, with clear separation between pause and unpause, as well as a safe frame on pause exit
    - Unifies gravity, dead zone and sensitivity for all movement inputs across all players
    - Removes a few useless dependencies from the PM manifest
    - Adds AddComponentMenu entries for all classes
    - Adds default dpad bindings for xbox gamepads
    - Fixes a few Cinemachine bugs that could occur when swapping or switching characters
    - Prevents the Welcome Window from losing its banner when its script is moved to another folder
    - Removes a crackling sound in the Loft's Sniper placeholder sfx
    - Fixes a bug in the Suit animator that would prevent correct crouch while holding a weapon
    - Fixes a few bindings for players 2,3 and 4
    - Fixes a button prompt duration hardcoded value
    - Fixes a bug with one of the demo AI agents' distance settings
    - Fixes a bug that could cause the initial direction of 2D characters to be computed erroneously
    - Fixes endless sounds in Grasslands on winner screen
    - Fixes initial rotation when equipping a 3D weapon in mobile mode with certain orientation settings.
    - Fixes a few incorrect navigation patterns in death and pause splashes
    - Fixes dash chromatic aberration feedback for Grasslands' player 1 being incorrectly applied
    - Adds latest version of MMTools and MMFeedbacks.
    - There's a good chance previous Vignette and Color Grading (and possibly others) feedbacks in your project will need to be tweaked again
    - Adds Inventory Engine v1.5
    - Adds a brand new demo, featuring (almost) each individual feedback of the asset, in isolation, as well as in a few combinations. That demo is also available directly on MMFeedback's website.
    - Adds the Pause feedback, that lets you pause a MMFeedback's feedback stack to delay the start of the next feedbacks in the sequence
    - Adds the Holding Pause feedback, that will wait until all the feedbacks above it have finished before starting a pause and then proceeding to the next ones
    - Adds the Loop feedback, that lets you replay all feedbacks that preceed it from the start, a loop start point or the last pause
    - Adds the Loop Start feedback, that lets you determine a point of origin for your loops (and add an optional pause to it as well)
    - Adds post processing volume auto blender feedback, letting you pilot a blender that will control the weight of a PP volume over time
    - Adds auto blender and auto blender feedback for URP
    - Adds URP bloom feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP chromatic aberration feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP color adjustments feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP depth of field feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP lens distortion feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP motion blur feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP panini projection feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP vignette feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP white balance feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP global volume auto blend feedback and shaker
    - Adds the AudioSourceVolume feedback and shaker, to control an AS's volume over time
    - Adds the AudioSourcePitch feedback and shaker, to control an AS's pitch over time
    - Adds the AudioSourceStereoPan feedback and shaker, to control an AS's stereo pan over time
    - Adds audio filter distortion feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter high pass feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter low pass feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter echo feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter reverb feedback and shaker
    - Adds Camera Field of View shaker and feedback, letting you control a camera's FoV over time on demand
    - Adds camera orthographic size shaker and feedback
    - Adds camera clipping planes shaker and feedback
    - Adds clipping planes, field of view and orthographic size shakers for Cinemachine
    - Adds Cinemachine Transition feedback, letting you transition from one virtual camera to another on demand
    - Adds "copy all" function on MMFeedbacks, to copy all feedbacks at once and paste them in another MMFeedbacks
    - Adds AutoPlayOnStart option to MMFeedbacks
    - Adds specific controller targeting to MMFeedbackHaptics
    - Adds remap to position, rotation and scale feedbacks
    - Adds better post processing volume autoblender
    - Adds better sequencer editor panel
    - Adds remap options to the ShaderController
    - Adds support for RawImage to the ShaderController
    - Adds a better conditional inspector to the ShaderController
    - The ShaderController can now be safely enabled/disabled
    - The ShaderController now has a global setting to revert to initial value on end (after a one time, when it gets disabled, etc)
    - MMFeedbackFlicker can now target shader properties by name
    - Adds additive mode to the Scale feedback
    - Adds ToDestination mode to the Scale feedback
    - MMFeedbacks inspector now shows a progress bar when playing a feedback
    - Adds ToDestination mode to the Position feedback, letting you move the target to an additional offset on every play, additive or not (instead of animating values along a curve or from A to B)
    - Adds the ToDestination mode to the Rotation feedback, letting you rotate to a specific rotation in either world or local spaces
    - Changes the way the Rotation feedback works, increasing its reliability and fixing issues on weird edge cases. AnimateX now rotates on the X axis, AnimateY on the Y axis, and AnimateZ on the Z axis
    - Adds remap, enable/disable support, ToDestination to the FloatController
    - Adds more position options to InstantiateObject and ParticlesInstantiation feedbacks
    - Adds ResetTrigger option to the Animation feedback.
    - On the Bloom shaker, default threshold amplitude is now 0
    - Adds a OnStateChange delegate to MMStateMachine to listen to state change events locally
    - MMFeedbacks now forces a reset of all feedbacks on PlayFeedbacks()
    - Improves null string comparisons.
    - MMFeedbacks' debug view is now available outside of play mode as well
    - Adds better inspectors to all PostProcessing feedbacks and shakers, with ranges and cleaner sections
    - The "add new feedback" list is now alphabetically sorted
    - Feedbacks now display their duration and Timing info in the inspector header directly
    - Feedbacks now display a small category based color bar on their left
    - Adds AddComponent menu entries for all feedbacks and tools
    - Removes useless requirement on MMOrbitalCamera
    - Fixes a bug in how Float and Shader controllers would add to the initial value
    - MMBlink now requires a -1 repeat count for infinite repeat (instead of 0, which now simply plays once)
    - Fade events now require that you specify a MMTweenType
    - Reorders feedbacks in a few categories, and adds the Renderer and Transform categories
    - Requires Unity 2019.3.2f1 or more

I'll start work right away on another update for the engine, which will bring quite a few new heavily requested features.

38. Necka_

Necka_

Hi @reuno
    Thank you for this big update today

Just in case those are possible to be natively implemented (I personally created extensions for those but I find it always better when it's native), I wanted to suggest 2 QOL features:

-Having a way to keep rotation when switching from Weapon Aim to Movement Aim
    Example: My character has a weapon equipped (aiming with the mouse). I unequipped the weapon: Character will weirdly rotate back to the previous rotation when no weapon was equipped.
    Goal of the "fix" is to set the character rotation to the last mouse aim rotation when switching mode.

-It took me some time to fix it and it's maybe not going to work across all aiming variation but if using mouse aiming and having the mouse too close to the character, it will start to "jerk". The safe mouse distance option is there for exactly this reason but I personally find the result strange as suddenly aiming stops then restart when it's far enough from the character. I don't find it "user friendly" and a bit inconsistent as it takes the distance from the weapon and not center of the character.
    I implemented a workaround to have the character to always rotate around the mouse even if the mouse is at the center of the character

Those are only suggestion/feedback :)

Ah and the 2 last ones in case it ever makes it: Scriptable objects for pre-configured Health Bars and Graph oriented behaviour management for AI. That would be cool :)

reuno likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > Thanks for the suggestions! I'll add them to the todo list.

40. patrickk2

patrickk2

Hello everyone!

I want my enemies to push the player in a certain direction. The moving towards the player and pushing it part was pretty straight forward with a combination of AIDecisionDetectTargetRadius and AIActionPathfinderToTarget (the 3D versions). Now I want to position the enemy such that it pushes the player in the right direction once it touches it. I think I got the calculations right, but when setting the enemies position via its Transform it sometimes pushes the player way to strong.

My guess is that this happens when the enemy is moved through the player because the colliders of their rigid bodies go havoc.

Does anyone have a hint for me, what I need to be aware of when setting the position (via a seperate script that sets the position of the Transform, triggered via OnCollisionEnter) of a GameObject that is basically controlled by a TopDownController3D, and is currently moving because of its AIActionPathfinderToTarget and the Character Movement ability?

Any tipps would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Patrick

41. reuno

reuno

@patrickk2 > I wouldn't recommend setting transform positions directly. It'd be safer to use the controller's API instead. You'll find plenty of examples of that through the abilities included in the asset, and of course in the API documentation.

42. patrickk2

patrickk2

Hello @reuno!

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Do you mean TopDownController.movePosition() for example? If I understand correctly this does collision checking beforehand (and in the end also just sets the position of the Transform).

I would like to kind of teleport an AI character to a certain position. If I am missing anything from the TopDown Engine API, I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks and best regards,
    Patrick

43. patrickk2

patrickk2

Hello everyone!

I hope I did not miss the answer to this question burried in this thread already, but when I switch the target platform of my TopDown-Engine project to Android, it seems my own scripts do not find the TopDown-Engine scripts anymore. For example a custom CharacterAbility that works fine, when the target plattform is windows will cause this compiler error when switching to Android:

While googling the error message does yield some results, none of the solutions I found worked for me. Does anyone have an idea what I am missing?

I am using Unity 2019.3.1 and .NET 4.x.

Thanks in advance (and please excuse the double post) and best regards,
    Patrick

44. reuno

reuno

@patrickk2 > As that error tells you, you seem to have an assembly definition issue.
    My guess is your scripts are under a wrongly setup assembly definition.
    It's hard to tell why without any info as to your context though. Please use the support form and provide more info.

45. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Hi Reuno! I very much enjoyed learning from the Corgi Engine. I'm considering a purchase for TopDown. Could you elaborate on how the 2d AI moves? Are you running your own custom path-finding solution? Or is there some navmesh agents involved?

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

46. reuno

reuno

@Kellyrayj > There's no pathfinding for 2D AIs at the moment.
    You can plug in A* or any other 3rd party solution. The brain itself works very similarly to the one in Corgi, and you'll find similar actions, letting you tell the character how, when and where to move.

47. JCPhlux

JCPhlux

Hello @reuno
    I really like your engine and it is allot more robust then the one I have been writing for my game. I am thinking of replacing it with your top down engine but wanted to know a few things.

Using the new grid system release in 1.5.
    • Does it support pushing blocks?
    • Can you move diagonally?
    If these are not supported do you think it will be added in the near future? If there is not a plan to add then would you think it would be a crazy amount of effort to code these option myself?

Thanks

48. reuno

reuno

@JCPhlux > Grid block pushing has 3 votes so far, and nobody ever requested diagonal movement on a grid before. I'll add your votes to it, but with the top features in the list at 1000 votes or more, these likely won't be added anytime soon. As for how hard it'd be to add them, it really depends on your skill level, I can't answer that for you. I'd say very easy for a programmer, if that helps :)

49. JCPhlux

JCPhlux

Is there a link to the Vote list?
    I went ahead and purchased and will look into adding the features myself. If I do add the features I don't mind sharing with the community would it be best to reach out to you with my changes or just post them in the thread?

50. reuno

reuno

JCPhlux likes this.