Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MilziPPG

MilziPPG

Thanks @reuno for the help with the particles. Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I've only just done it.

Bottom line - I was being a bit silly and followed your instructions.

About the Weapon Rotation in Weapon Aim 2D. Are the options for Strict 4 Directions and Strict 8 Directions for animations only or do they rotate the hitboxes?

2. reuno

reuno

@MilziPPG > Weapon rotation actually rotates the weapon. The next update brings a slight update to that for melee weapons, and to the way the debug tools for weapons are drawn.

3. MilziPPG

MilziPPG

Thanks Reuno!

reuno likes this.
  4. TractorFarm

TractorFarm

Does this package work on Unity 2019.1?

5. reuno

reuno

@TractorFarm > Yes. You might have to update packages compared to the ones recommended in the manifest, but outside of that it's all fine.

6. TractorFarm

TractorFarm

Ok great! I bought the package and imported into 2019.1 and clicked upgrade on all the packages. It seems to work fine except for 2 things:
    - The camera only shows a black screen unless I disable the post process layer
    - In the Loft3D demo, it seems like the cinemachine camera is not targetting the player. It works normally if I manually retarget it at runtime, though is there a script or something that I should check on?

Thanks

7. reuno

reuno

@TractorFarm > You might want to check the very first page of the documentation. If the issue persists, please use the support contact form, thanks.

8. tequyla

tequyla

Hello Reuno,

great asset, i just bought with the madness.

with fresh install in 2d unity mode, i got this warning and the camera does not follow the player.

i tried with others resolutions and same thing.

any idea ?

cheers

Teq.

Attached Files:

9. reuno

reuno

@tequyla > Please try the steps described on the first page of the documentation (or the readme). If the problem persists (it won't), please use the support contact form, thanks.

10. pabloawara

pabloawara

Hi, how can I disable the mouse control or change the mouse pointer? I don't remember where I changed it :D

11. reuno

reuno

@awaralabs > As explained in the documentation in more details, the reticle (or its absence) is controlled by the WeaponAim component (on each Weapon).

12. play_unity729

play_unity729

I bought the assets, and when I import it everything looks black and dark, this include the new scenes, the entire Unity UI

Inclusive If I change to the Personal Skin

This is a fresh Install, and on the previous I install everything from the welcome screen, neither the same still happens, I already import other assets from other developers, this is the second case where this happens

If I run the scene with everything installed, the background it's black and I got a lot of errors from the post processing add-on

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  13. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > I have to admit that's the first time I see the Unity UI change like that.
    I don't know what in the asset could have that effect, that doesn't sound possible, looks like a Unity bug to me.
    I'd recommend trying to import again in a fresh project, following the steps described on the first page of the documentation. If that doesn't solve it, please send me a message on the support contact form, thanks.

14. play_unity729

play_unity729

I did it, and this happens only with your assets, fresh install, before the welcome screen pops i can see a semi translucent black layer over the place that window it's going to be, after that everything goes black, and I already use bigger assets that also use the 2 add ons that your project needs, so I don't think it's a unity bug, looks more like your project it's doing something on the welcome screen, because that screen show a overlay before being displayed

15. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > This has never been reported by anyone else, and there is no API to alter the Unity skin, that's why I think it's very likely a bug. There probably is an explanation, but without more details I can't guess what like that. Again, if you could send more detailed steps of what you did on the support form I'd be able to help more and recommend solutions.

16. play_unity729

play_unity729

Looks like there's something on the project settings folder included on the assets, if I import the project without that folder, everything looks fine, but if I include it on the import, I got that Issue again

reuno likes this.
  17. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > That is definitely weird :) Thanks for sharing that solution.
    Without the project settings you'll likely run into some errors. The most important thing to keep from this folder are the input settings. I think the rest can mostly be skipped. Don't hesitate to drop me a line if issues persist.

18. play_unity729

play_unity729

Looks like the file that cause the problem it's "PresetManager.asset" I go one by one and when I import that one everything goes black

reuno likes this.
  19. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > Alright, that's good feedback! I have to admit I have no idea why that would cause an issue, that file looks very harmless to me (its contents are the same as all new Unity projects as far as I can tell). If anybody else runs into that same problem, please let me know, I'll file an issue to Unity, that definitely shouldn't happen.

20. play_unity729

play_unity729

Neither I understand what cause that, but that file it's the one causing all this, probably it's because I'm using an old iMac computer, the processor, etc, but that one it's the problem on your asset file

21. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > If you've got time it might be worth submitting a bug report to Unity with all that info. It's a bug on their end, and they'd need to know your precise specs to prevent that from happening.

play_unity729 likes this.
  22. play_unity729

play_unity729

Already did it, I send them the file with my specs

reuno likes this.
  23. play_unity729

play_unity729

where I can see the documentation of how use the save system? or how I can implement it if I'm a designer but not a programmer?

24. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, if it hasn't been requested or suggested it would be good to see some kind of enhanced options on the MM Path (script). Possibly being able to do spline curves would be the most beneficial or even the ability to toggle between linear/spline curves on selected waypoints (or in Inspector UI).

On this topic, how tied in is that MM Path setup to the AI Agent when dealing with the Brain (like for a Patroling/ReturnToPath situation)? ie: Could I use another waypoint/pathing solution instead?

play_unity729 likes this.
  25. Necka_

Necka_

Would like to add my vote to the spline curve for AI, if it's anyhow feasible :)

26. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > The API documentation contains all there is to know about the SaveLoadManager. You can also look at the class itself, it's fully commented. Plus you'll find examples of it being used throughout the asset. It is programming though, not sure how to do that without code :)
    @MudPuppet > I'll add that to the todo list. And feel free to create other actions that don't rely on the same path system, they're not linked at all.

27. DMRhodes

DMRhodes

Just grabbed the engine off of the store. I loved the Corgi Engine so I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with this

- Edit: Bugs?

In Minimal2DSandbox
    • The damage and kill zones don't actually work. You can stand on them and nothing happens.
    • If you equip the sword and hold left click it will repeatedly play the audio of him swinging crazy fast, but the swing animation only places once.
    In Koala
    • Not sure if a bug, but you can't jump over spikes?
    • Spamming the spacebar will spam the jump audio, even if the animation only plays once.
    • After dying, restart level doesn't actually restart the level. It just ports you back to the current spawn
    • Pressing Q will make you run to the left?

Finally I'd like to throw a few votes in for the following features if they already happen to be on your list. :)
    • Fog of war feature I.e. enemies/items are only visible if they are within your view.
    • Pick up objects like pots and jars to be able to throw them, similar to the old Zelda games.
    • Ammo, health, coin loot from destroyed pots. Defeated enemies
    • Dedicated melee button even if a ranged weapon is equipped.
    Thank you for your time.

Regards

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  28. notCactus

notCactus

@reuno I have some problems with the camera not working properly with some demo scenes. It just shows darkness, the player icon and weapon slot. I can still controll the caracter. The camera seems to be following the character in the scene view.

Attached Files:

29. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

Hi Reuno, I really like the engine, i started setting up a playable character but I ran into a problem. Changing animations (that use mecanim) works perfectly fine, but for some reason I am unable or too stupid to get a different mesh working with animations. As I am trying to make a melee character, I tried copying the Tie Prefab and changing the mesh but keeping the Animator Controller, I also tried setting up a new character from scratch. Controlling the character works fine with both methods, it's just the animations that I can not get to work. There must be something I am missing...

30. flyingantman

flyingantman

Hello,

Just wanted to provide a write-up on how to get this asset functioning on 2019.1.1

First off run Reuno's welcome window.

Tools > More Mountains > Welcome to the top down engine

To get rid of the errors you will need to update a few packages.

Go to

Window > Package Manager

Update these packages (Version numbers provided are based on time of writing).

2D Pixel Perfect (preview - 1.0.1)
    Cinemachine (2.3.3)
    Post Processing (2.1.6)

If for some reason your package manager isn't working/showing up in the top window then you will have to edit your manifest file directly

Go to

"your project directory" > Packages > manifest.json

add these three lines in the dependencies section

Code (JavaScript):
    1. "com.unity.2d.pixel-perfect": "1.0.1-preview",
    2. "com.unity.postprocessing": "2.1.6",
    3. "com.unity.cinemachine": "2.3.3",
    Lastly to fix the black screen bug.

There seems to be an issue with the "Post Process Layer" setting "Directly to Camera Target"

In Reuno's provided demo scenes you can find it under "MainCamera". Simply switch that setting off.

Post Process Setting.PNG

NOTE: I am very illiterate on the post processing stack, I have no clue what that setting actually does all I know is it fixed the issue for me and seems to be consistent over all demo scenes.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    reuno, notCactus and DMRhodes like this.
  31. reuno

reuno

@Candy-Bomber > If you think you've found bugs, please use the support form to report them, thanks.
    @notCactus > I'd recommend sticking to 2018.3 until the next update (coming quite soon now), or trying @flyingantman's advice right above this post.
    @RikiKlein > You can't really reuse an animator controller like that, you'll need to create your own.
    @flyingantman > Thanks a lot for sharing this!

32. reuno

reuno

@Candy-Bomber > Just a bit more feedback about these bugs (but again, please use the support email for that next time, much easier for me to keep track) :
    The damage and kill zones don't actually work. You can stand on them and nothing happens. > They were on the wrong layer following 1.2, it's been fixed in the next update.
    If you equip the sword and hold left click it will repeatedly play the audio of him swinging crazy fast, but the swing animation only places once. > the weapon mode was on Auto instead of Semi Auto for all 3 weapons in the sword, it's been reported many times already, and fixed
    Not sure if a bug, but you can't jump over spikes? > Not a bug, jumping doesn't turn off damage. You could easily implement it
    Spamming the spacebar will spam the jump audio, even if the animation only plays once. > Also reported multiple times, also fixed
    After dying, restart level doesn't actually restart the level. It just ports you back to the current spawn > That's by design, that's what reload level does though.
    Pressing Q will make you run to the left? > That's for all the people who use an AZERTY keyboard. Feel free to change that in the input settings though.

Thanks for reporting these!

DMRhodes likes this.
  33. Necka_

Necka_

@reuno I learned kind of managing TDE on my own when it's possible and I fully get why you want to handle support via mail and not here
    But I think it could be somehow good that we can track issues when they are known and tied to the engine (and not the user) so we don't either spam you here or on the mail. Of course it's your product, it's just a suggestion :) no idea if this is even close to a good suggestion :D

34. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > Thanks for the suggestion. I did try many things over the years, including this. The current workflow is the best.

Necka_ likes this.
  35. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v1.3 of the TopDown Engine to the Asset Store. Hopefully within a few days you'll be able to install it.

As usual, this update focuses on bugfix and quality of life first. It also comes with a bunch of heavily requested new features, the most important one being native (local) multiplayer support. It comes with a full 4-player demo, along with new pixel art environment and characters. These characters are 4-directional pixel art characters, which was the second most requested feature since the release of the engine. Here are the full release notes :

- Adds 4-directional 2D, NES Zelda like, melee example.
    - Adds a new decision, AIDecisionRandom, that randomly returns true or false based on the specified odds.
    - Adds MMTween, a new tweening system, and new animation curves to use everywhere animation curves are needed
    - Adds a new decision, AIDecisionTargetIsNull, that returns true if the current target is null, false otherwise
    - Adds a complete new pixel art based environment, Grasslands. Compatible with the existing KoalaDungeon environment, it introduces grass, water, cliffs, paths, fences, trees, pavement, and more.
    - Adds multiplayer zoom based camera that keeps track of all characters in the scene.
    - Adds a 4-player split screen camera setup, complete with player specific UI
    - Adds the MultiplayerLevelManager, a ready-to-be-extended multiplayer manager to handle camera modes and generic rules, along with an example of how to extend it to implement your own specific rules
    - Adds the Grasslands demo scene, a showcase of the new multiplayer features
    - Makes having a camera confiner optional
    - Improves the CharacterOrientation3D behaviours
    - Adds much better CharacterOrientation3D behaviours
    - Greatly improves the reliability of auto respawn options and adds more per checkpoint control
    - Reticles don't move anymore when the game is in pause
    - Weapons can now also be controlled via animation events
    - Adds frequency options to AIBrains to define separate frequencies to evaluate decisions and perform actions for finer performance control
    - Improves the way initial invincibility is handled on the Projectile class
    - Adds an option to allow/prevent a melee weapon to hurt its owner
    - Adds better spawn facing options for 2D
    - Improves moving platform's performance and reliability
    - Improves DamageOnTouch debug display
    - Fixes a bug that would cause the killzone class to call the kill method too many times.
    - Fixes a bug that would cause an error on Death if walk particles weren't set
    - Fixes few bugs that could happen when the brain's target was destroyed
    - Fixes a bug that would cause inventory slots to not refresh properly when moving to the same slot
    - Fixes the way the Cinemachine camera shaker and zoom grab their virtual cameras
    - Fixes damage zones and kill zones layer in the MinimalSandbox2D demo scene
    - Fixes the Koala sword trigger mode
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent the proper initialization of a Weapon's character animator under certain conditions
    - Updates the project to 2019.1

This new version requires 2019.1 to work, and will require that you manually copy the manifest.json into your Packages folder. That's a manual step, but hopefully that will help everyone get the asset running in one shot. I wish Unity did provide a native way to handle that, but alas I'm afraid this won't be added for a long time.

So yes you'll get errors on install, but all you'll have to do to make them go away is copy one file.
    I hope you'll like this new update!

Vog, tequyla, DMRhodes and 2 others like this.
  36. Necka_

Necka_

I'm not sure to understand what is that, is it for both 2D and 3D, is there a demo of an application? or would you mind giving a quick example? :)

Thank you so much for those!

I think one of the improvement is fixing the character staying in one direction while the opposite key was pressed
    What are the other improvements of the behaviors? I'm using a little code hack for 8 way directional from a previous comment, is this now native?

I literally updated my project to 2019.1 yesterday evening, with no bugs or problems with any assets, I was relieved that this version isn't too bad on the upgrade compared to 2018.2 to .3 (because of the prefab system)

37. reuno

reuno

@Necka_ > MMTween doesn't really relate to 2D or 3D, it's a set of tools to basically update a value over time. It's a math helper. Like Lerp but better. There's a demo provided, and it's used throughout the asset now. You can check it in action there : https://moremountains.com/assets/resources/mmtween/index.html
    And yes, directional 2D is now native. There's a 4 directions example, but of course you could do 8 or 16 or whatever you prefer. It's on the animator's side now.

38. Necka_

Necka_

@reuno oooh neat, I love your math helpers. Used a few already, as a non coder it does its job: helping :D

Neat update, I'm looking forward to put my hands on this :)

And thank you for making this asset better and better at every updates. It's really good to see such follow-up

reuno likes this.
  39. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

Those new features look very nice! Let's hope Unity is quick on releasing it ^^

I could use some help with two things (btw I got the animator working with my character now):

1. I am using a 3D character, when adding the 3D Dash ability the character only dashes in the Dash Direction that is set in the inspector (0,0,1 by default) and not the direction the character is facing. Using the Orientation class I can tell that the direction of the character is correct. I tried the different Dash Modes, but I can't get it to work.​

2. How should I go about setting up a melee weapon on that character that has 5 different attacks/animations that work as a combo (similar to the one in the Koala demo, where after not attacking for a set time the first attack will play I think it was called droppable combo somewhere). I looked through the "Tie" prefab but I couldn't find any "MeleeWeapon" or "Weapon" class. I saw in the Koala demo that the sword uses 3 different "Weapon" classes, one for each attack. So far I got the first attack to work and now I am wondering how I should move forward.​

40. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > Do you reproduce the problem with any of the demo characters? If yes, please drop me a line explaining how to reproduce it. If not, have you tried comparing with these?
    As for combo weapons, I'd suggest reading the documentation, it explains it all. And weapons are separate from the characters, so you won't find any melee weapon if you look at the Tie prefab :) Again, all that is covered in the doc.

41. HCrowley

HCrowley

just a quick note to day that i've had so much fun with the platformer engine (once i got round to using it in anger) that i decided to get this in the current sale. i can see that it takes and extends a lot of the core concepts and architecture from the platformer engine, so i'm hoping that the learning curve should be reasonably shallow

i'm particularly looking forward to playing around with the top-down engine AI. i've purchased a few AI systems over the years (as well as rolling my own on occasion), and the platformer engine advanced AI has been the easiest to use and extend, by a considerable margin

p.s. thanks to @flyingantman for the fix for the black screen bug on the 3d demos. hopefully it will be fixed in the next release, because it gave a bit of a bad first impression when initially trying to get the demos to run

42. reuno

reuno

@HCrowley > If you've used Corgi Engine in the past you should feel right at home, and it's built around the same AI logic :)
    And yes the next release fixes the black screen stuff. Still wondering how many people will read the IMPORTANT-HOW-TO-INSTALL text file to solve the sadly unavoidable errors on launch (due to the packages) :)

43. HCrowley

HCrowley

@reuno i did actually read the how-to-install text file, but it still took me a number of false starts before i had a stable installed version. that's mainly down to the intrinsic fragility of Unity's Packages system (which has caused me problems with other downloaded apps before now) i think

i can't quite remember the precise details of what went wrong in this instance, but in the end it was just a question of banging away until all the errors disappeared (and, i think, grabbing the most up-to-date version of Cinemachine), and, importantly, then restarting Unity

44. reuno

reuno

@HCrowley > Oh sorry I didn't mean to imply you didn't. You obviously did :)
    The new install process should be much easier (it's just about moving one file), but I'm sure people still won't read it, and that's normal. I wish there was a built in way to distribute the manifest.json file.

45. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Just wondering, how is the ladder climbing + object pushing / pulling coming along :)
    Looking forward to work on a modern top down game! all the best!

play_unity729 and digiross like this.
  46. play_unity729

play_unity729

When I import the assets all the scenes have a black background, all of them, but the console doesn't show no errors, no warnings, nothing, what could be?

Also the Koala Scene looks like this:

I'm working on an old iMac computer:

I don't have money for a new one, neither a Build PC, I lost everything on the past earthquake here on México, so if there's a work around to make it work because I don't get ir why looks like that, it would be great

47. reuno

reuno

@play_unity729 > I'm gonna guess you're on 2019. If that's the case, then that post explains how to get rid of the black thing : https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...-v1-3-multiplayer.566533/page-12#post-4502083 (or you can stick to 2018 until the next update, pending validation right now). As for the Koala camera, that's explained on the first page of the documentation.
    @zero_equals_zero > Ladders have received very few votes for now, so it's quite low on the todo list. Push and pull are a bit higher, but there are many things that got much more requests than that too.

48. DMRhodes

DMRhodes

Thank you for the update - looks like some exciting stuff!

reuno likes this.
  49. RikiKlein

RikiKlein

@reuno I can not reproduce that dash-direction with your prefabs. I compared my character to the prefabs, and the dash set-up is the same, I even used the "AutoBuild Player Character" Button in the character class. Here's a video of the behaviour I am experiencing including key inputs:

As you can see for some reason it only works in the right direction sometimes.

I can't believe I missed the part about combo weapons when I read the documentation, it was right there. I am however having trouble getting the animations to work properly. If I spam the attack button, the different Attacks are being cycled much with each button press and whenever the animator is ready to play the next attack animation, it picks the one that is currently active. Is there a way for the animator or the "MeleeWeapon" or "ComboWeapon" class to wait until the previous attack is finished before starting the next one? This is probably something wrong with my setup, but I played around with all the parameters that in my mind could be influencing this.
    Here's a video showcasing what I mean for better understanding:

Cheers,
    Riki

50. reuno

reuno

@RikiKlein > Please use the support form if you have support questions, thanks.