Search Unity

[Released] TNet: Tasharen Networking Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Dec 24, 2012.

1. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Just watched the Starlink UI starter kit's video. Although I've been interested in TNet for a while, this is definitely much higher on my wishlist now. It's unfortunate that asset store sales aren't announced in a dedicated forum or thread to which users can subscribe. Judging by the ol' Twitter feeds, it would seem that NGUI and TNet were out of the sale gates long ago. Although you may not see much benefit, it may be worth creating such a forum or thread on your own boards. Steam has a notification option for when items in your wishlist go on sale, and it seems to be doing alright for them.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I cannot hear well enough to use video tutorials, so I am hoping that there will be some more substantial docs or support? if I purchase.

3. ArenMook

ArenMook

@OhiraKyou: Us devs also don't get notified in advance. This would be a good suggestion for the Asset Store team.

@hippocoder: TNet will get a lot of love this coming fall when I'm less busy with the upcoming UI system and have some more time to spare. I'll be creating a PDF to go with it around the same time. Until then, there is a dedicated support forum that I frequent: http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0

4. Setmaster

Setmaster

Is it compatible with the latest Unity release? Does it supports Windows standalone and webplayer?

5. ArenMook

ArenMook

Yup. Webplayer limitation: you can't start a server. You have to connect to a remote server instead.

6. DanWilson

DanWilson

Does TNet support Secure and/or Encrypted connections?
    I need something that will allow me to securely send data between the client/server.

7. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

I read the features of TNet and have one question.
    I am making a game where I need a secure server system (authoritative server), and I am wondering, is TNet good with authoritative servers--and more importantly can I choose which player can do things like network instantiation and destruction (can I limit it so only the server can perform these actions)?

Thanks

8. ArenMook

ArenMook

9. jpthek9

jpthek9

I'm interested in using Tasharen Net for my RTS game and would like to draw upon others' experiences as well as the author's before I make the decision. My game will be fully synchronous so I will need several things from a networking solution.

First and foremost, I need efficiency. A problem with Photon Unity Networking was that it produced way too much overhead for a simple RPC (74 bytes). I don't need my RPCs or any custom methods of communication reliably as I plan to implement my own method of confirmation - I just need to get data across, a single long int to be exact. Can TNet send over data efficiently?

Secondly, is there a decent matchmaking system? I want to run many games on a single server so I wish that there is something that can pair up players and create a room for them. If there isn't one by default, can I create a system fairly easily?

Finally, as I've hinted at before, I would like the server to send and receive confirmations. As my game is synchronous, every player needs to have the same information and I plan to do this with confirmations. After receiving a command (i.e. attack enemy base), players will send a confirmation to the server. After confirmations from all players are received, the server will send a message telling all players to execute the attack.

Thanks in advance for the insight. If all these things can be done with TNet, I hope to make a great game with it.

10. blueagardq13

blueagardq13

Only Problem I have having is that they are not responsive on the forum and on a PM. I wasted 2 days of my deadline so far :/ :(