Search Unity

[Released]Tile Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Zerofield, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Zerofield

Zerofield

I would love to present you my Tile Editor1.3.

Asset Store link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23091

Video:

Tile Editor is an easy-to-use and flexible editor extension for Unity which will help you create tile-based maps effeciently . With Tile Editor, you will be making creative levels in no time!

Features
    - Intuitive workflows.
    - Edit directly in scene view .
    - Works with native 2D system.
    - Unlimited tile layers.
    - Alpha of tile layers can be configured.
    - Low drawcalls with tile sheets.
    - Tiles can be flipped and rotated.
    - Supports multiple tile sets.
    - Supports 2D physics.
    - Mobile friendly.
    - Full source code included.

Tile Editor is now fully compatiable with Unity5.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. goranobradovic

goranobradovic

First of all have to say that Tile Editor is probably one of the best tile editor assets for Unity (and I have tried several).

However, it looks like there is a bug with sorting layers and tile editor. I am using Unity 4.6 Beta but I don't think it is related to that. So I have a dozen of sorting layers defined, and for tile map I have several sorting layers I want to use (I am calling them Tiles0, Tiles1, Tiles2 etc. Despite the fact that I selected desired sorting layer in Tile Editor Layers dialog, my tiles go to the different sorting layer. For example, I have tile for which I have selected Tiles0 sorting layer, but it ends up under Decor sorting layer. Is this a known bug? Any workaround?

3. Zerofield

Zerofield

Thank you for your feedback.
    After checking the editor, I think tile editor worked as I expected.
    I think I need to expain the relationship between tile layers and sorting layers
    Each tile layer can have only one sorting layer.
    Tiles on the same tile layer will have the same sorting layers and that's how tiles on different tile layers can have correct orders in runtime.
    You may select correct tile layer before tiling.
    You can disable other tile layers and focus on one layer.

I hope the explanation will solve your problem.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. Zerofield

Zerofield

I'm planning to add the following features in V1.2 and any suggestion is welcome:

1. Moving multiple tiles at the same time.
    2. Removing multiple tiles at the same time.
    3. Setting multiple tiles' properties at the same time.

5. goranobradovic

goranobradovic

Thanks for the reply. However, there is a problem and if possible I want to send you couple of screenshots so you can see. I just created a new scene and have 4 sorting layers (Tiles0, Tiles1, Tiles 2 and Tiles3) and 4 tile layers (same names as sorting layers). I have put some tiles in Tiles0 tile layer that belongs to Tiles0 sorting layer. Than I have switched to Tiles3 tile layer and selected Tiles3 as its sorting layer. I wanted to paint some tiles in this layer over existing tiles from Tiles0 layer, and they were not showing up in tile editor. When I have closed the editor and examined these tiles in inspector I see that they are put in Decor sorting layer. I am pretty sure I have not any mistake, but obviously something is not working correctly. See attached archive with screenshots. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  6. Zerofield

Zerofield

Yes, you are using it correctly.
    The issue has been fixed in V1.2.1.
    Now you may update to V1.2.1 and enjoy the new features.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. Nixaan

Nixaan

Hi,

I hope i can explain well my question and its not a dumb one considering my English is not great and I'm new to Unity and C#.

Is there a way to add custom behavior to a selected tiles? What i mean is, is there a way to add my scripts and customize the tiles? I.e. make them movable, jump-through, turn them into springs, animate them, etc. Or is there an relatively easy way to do this without the need for an "external" tiles-sets and grids?

On a side note, how is the performance on a bigger grids (say 1000 x 500)?

8. Zerofield

Zerofield

You can access a tile by deselect the map and click on the sprite in the scene view directly.
    You can also select multiple tiles and add components at the same time.

Performance on large map is accetpable if texture atlas is used since only visible tiles will be drawn.

You may attach colliders to tiles needed to reduce calculation.

If large map is causing performance issue, you may divide it into several smaller maps and make them as prefab. You can create prefab at runtime to keep memory low.

9. Nixaan

Nixaan

Thanks for the response. Looks like this is the tool I'm looking for!

10. Keith90

Keith90

Hello,

I recently purchased the Tile Editor. So far it's great but I have an issue I'm trying to figure out.

When I make a layer, for example Sky, then put in the tiles, it's fine. However, after I switch to a different layer then come back to the Sky layer and add more tiles to that, there's a problem. The sprites aren't on the same Z-axis when viewed in 3D. Which causes problems when you have multiple layers and parts of the sky are overlapping the ground or platforms.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

11. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@Zerofield, could I make a feature request? Currently, when I use your plugin and I want to set a tile in the tileset to be a polygon collider, the tool automatically creates a polygon collider for the tile, and if I want to modify the polygon collider I have to click on the individual placed tile in scene view and modify the polygon collider the wait I want. The issue is if I want to reuse that tile everywhere else in my level, the custom modified polygon collider does not apply to all tiles in the scene that are that tile. It be nice to be able to modify the polygon collider on a tile, hit apply, and then have that collider apply to all tiles in the scene that are the same as that tile.

Otherwise, your plugin is really really amazing. Thank you.

12. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, sorry for replying to you late. Currently if you want to reuse the modified polygon collider you may ctrl click the tile in Scene View and pait with that tile. I will make a solution to your request. I'm gald you like it!

13. lavz24

lavz24

Hi,

I hace a question before buy the asset. You can import TMX files? And what use the TileEditor to render? MeshRenderer or SpriteRenderer?

14. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, TMX files are not supported and Tile Editor uses SpriteRender to render each tile.

15. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, sorry for replying to you so late. I gusses you might have move the map in 3D view. I found that tiles are placed with z = 0. I will fix the bug.

16. Moshu

Moshu

I am looking for a tile engine that I can use to procedural generate the tiles in a script using perlin noise. If I bought this would I be able to say create a list of tile grids(chunks) and have them load side by side in a C# script and dynamically populate the tile grids in a loop? Unloading chunks that aren't needed to save memory as the player goes. I built a functioning 3D mesh building solution, but would love to use this 2D solution to create this project. Think Terraria or 2d Voxel game engine. That is my goal to create a 2D voxel world.

17. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, I'm sorry that my Tile Editor doesn't support procedural level generation. Tile Editor is mainly for creating old school platform games.

18. Async0x42

Async0x42

Hey, any chance this could be made compatible with TexturePacker Importer? I just bought Tile Editor, but when trying to add a tileset png, Unity completely locks up and all I can see in the status bar is "Texture Error".

If I remove TexturePackerImporter, then I can add the tileset. However whenever updating the tileset again (with TexturePackerImporter installed again), the sprites get messed up and then unity locks up.

Thanks for any help, I really like your tile editor!

19. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, I will look into this issue and add compatibility with TexturePacker Importer!

20. Async0x42

Async0x42

Thanks for adding compatibility!

Another feature request that'd make this asset more valuable would be to allow adding prefabs to the tile list (unless I didn't notice how to do that already)

21. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, Tile Editor doesn't support adding prefabs currently. Thanks for the feature request! I will implement this feature.

22. Async0x42

Async0x42

Thanks a lot!

23. burnner

burnner

Hi, is every tile a gameobject or does this editor some optimizing?

24. josessito

josessito

Hi, I'm thinking of buying this asset, I wonder however if there is an easy way to achieve a parallax effect (layer based?) and if its also possible to animate some tiles (changing its image).

I'll probably get it, regardless:

25. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, you can get the reference to the tile layer you want to apply parallax fx and attach any script you would like.

26. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, every tile is a game object. For now optimization is mainly left for Unity.

27. pep_dj

pep_dj

Hi, can I read a manual about your tile editor? I would want to know more about what colliders does it support, and what is the "collider type" option I see in screenshots. Can I use "one way platforms" with your tile editor?

28. OrdinaryDev83

OrdinaryDev83

I created a tile map and THIS happened:

What should i do?

29. OrdinaryDev83

OrdinaryDev83

It has alreay a "User manual"...

30. Zerofield

Zerofield

I was wondering what kind of texture format you are using. It is recommended to use RGBA32. You can modify the texture format by setting the Texture Type to Advanced.

31. daudau505

daudau505

Hello, I just bought this asset and Iam having trouble understanding this.
    I have imported few sprites and whenever I start to paint. It's either too big or too small?
    It does not fit in the grid like in the video?

Do you have to set your sprite to a certain size before importing into tileeditor?
    Thanks.

32. Zerofield

Zerofield

Hi, all you need to do is set the pixel-to-unit to the correct size. If you set Tile size to 1x1 and your sprite is 100x100, you need to set pixel-to-unit to SpriteSize/TileSize( 100 in this case).

33. drorriov

drorriov

Hello

Does your tile editor support any size of images for tiles? i mean, if grid is like 10x10 per square and one of my tiles is like 100x100 will it know how to work with different tile sizes and snap it correctly?

best regards,
    Dror

34. BigED

BigED

Zerofield, why I see whitespaces between tiles in game mode sometimes?

35. daudau505

daudau505

Hi, I was wondering if you can adjust the tile size after you have created the tilemap?

Thanks

36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey I was in the market for a new tile map editor and last night I bought this. Works beautifully so far.

I'm wondering does this support dynamic actions of any kind? As in are there any methods (or codebase at all) that is available at runtime so I can remove tiles or at least change one tile to another tile? Even for retro games this is pretty standard as walls may be broken, doors / gates may be opened, etc.

No big deal if it doesn't because I can always at startup gather up all of the map cells and code this stuff myself or even use sprites for such things. Mainly just asking so I don't spend time duplicating functionality you already have in there.

Thanks!

37. geimdiz

geimdiz

hello. im using 32x32 tiles, and i purchased your asset, but there is like 64x64 by default. how do i change it to be 32x32? thanks

38. binxpel

binxpel

Hi. Can I use my own sprites with this editor?

39. GeeksStudio

GeeksStudio

Hi
    Your tool is really good but the collision does not work, let me explain I have a map and a player I set up a collider on my player and on the tiles I wanted but when I go on the tile collision doesnt my player continues to walk as if nothing had spend
    Captusre.PNG Capture.PNG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016