Search Unity

TerraLand 3 - Streaming Huge Real-World & Custom Terrains For Open-World Environments

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TerraUnity, May 20, 2018.

1. lex24

lex24

here is what Windows build with "Development build" mode enabled prints to console.

Assets/TerraLand/TerraLand Core/Plugins/System.Configuration.dll exists in project and "Any platform" is selected in import settings

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

All account setup requests have been resolved a few minutes ago.

By "TerraLand Runtime API sample scene" which scene do you mean exactly?

As a hint, you also have to include needed plugins in the root folder of the build along with the cached server directory if the "Project Root Path" checkbox in "RuntimeOffline.cs" script in scene is checked, or else you should type in the absolute path of the server root directory in the "Data Base Path" field in UI.

3. lex24

lex24

Assets/TerraLand/Scenes/Runtime API/Online Streaming/TerraLand Runtime.unity

4. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

We have spent plenty of hours to overcome the issue and unfortunately recent changes in .Net 4 and Unity's mono compiler breaks a lot of dll reference operations and web requests in conjunction with Visual Studio. The Online Streaming scene used to work properly just before Unity 2018.3 and .Net 4.

But there is another update release (ver. 3.4.1) coming in a few hours into your account which some of the issues mentioned by you has been resolved as you will no longer receive DLL reference errors in builds. It may be possible that all issues in building Runtime Online Streaming scene are not handled yet in the release but please check them back when it's live and see if the build problem persists.

FYI, recently our preferred and more updated method of streaming system is Offline Streaming which you can have cache servers of huge datasets in your own local/online locations and stream tiles out of these servers.

5. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

TerraLand 3.4.1 is live now in your account on our website and is under approval on AssetStore.

Here is the change list:
    • Removed "IndexOutOfRangeException" error appeared occasionally in TerraLand Downloader
    • Removed remaining 3rd party assets from the package
    • Replaced streaming assets demos' tree & rock assets with primitive gameobjects
    • Updated TileImageImport.cs script with minor changes
    • Replaced System.Configuration.DLL with Unity's compatible version to safely make builds
    • Added "Draw Instanced" option in RuntimeOffline.cs script to enable/disable instanced rendering of terrain tiles with "Always Included Shaders" notification
    • Removed San Sebastian demo scene
    • Updated Runtime.cs script with minor changes

Due to a conflict in the latest version submission (ver. 3.3) in AssetStore with guidelines, that version is bypassed and after approval from the AssetStore you will see the version 3.4.1 and TerraLand's status will be out of deprecation.

AssetStore's May Madness Sale is over now but you can still get TerraLand 3.4 for $24 with 50% off from our website here: http://terraunity.com/product/terraland-3/

6. Mike891

Mike891

When is this on the asset store again? Missed the sale because it got taken down :(

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Sorry for that, but you can buy TerraLand with the same sale price on AssetStore directly from our website which the offer ends in 2 days. Unfortunately the UAS review team is raining issues on us for a simple submission which is the cause of approval delay...

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  8. Zante

Zante

Is there any way I can purchase the geometry blending shader seen below separately from the main package?
    Can you confirm that the shader itself would work without the terrain shader and scripts being used?

9. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The shader used in the video is 4 years old now and didn't get production ready yet. We are planning to develop it further and include this in our upcoming product and will be released somewhere in the initial versions.

The whole concept of the solution is to have it on any objects anywhere on terrain and let it automatically handle rest of the job as it does in the video.

So you just have to wait a bit longer until it is publicly released, also we plan to release some of the solutions in the upcoming project separately so it may be possible that this one would also make its way out of the uber pack we're working on now.

You are in a hurry and want to access unofficial releases, contact us.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  10. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

As we are getting close to the upcoming product release:

Custom terrain shader with procedural texturing & tessellation fully on GPU

TerraWorld_TerrainShader.jpg

Procedural snow scattering

UncannyValley_5.jpg

Automatic lake and water areas generation with realistic coastlines

unknown.png

Realistic clouds rendering and scattering

Unity_2018-08-11_23-42-52-37.jpg

High performance rendering using various optimization techniques in a vast environment practical for play-able scenes

unknown (1).png

Procedural splatting (texturing) & tessellation on GPU

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    ikemen_blueD and Rockwall33 like this.
  11. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Hello!

I tried finding a thread for Terraworld, couldn’t find it.

What are the details on it? The videos look amazing? Is there a price or a release date soon?

Again sorry I couldn’t find a thread, hope it’s alright for me to ask here.

Thank you!

12. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Yes, there are no threads for TerraWorld yet but we plan to have a release soon. All related stuff regarding this product will be announced here on forums and other channels.

Unfortunately can not give exact numbers for price and release date but will be set in the upcoming weeks. Keep asking questions here, we will also create a Discord channel for this before release.

HeadClot88 and Rockwall33 like this.
  13. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thank you!!

14. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Rockwall33 likes this.
  15. Migueljb

Migueljb

Are we able to download higher resolution RAW files. I only see 8bit can we download 16bit raw files? Also really looking forward to the new texturing and tesselation stuff. It's the missing piece when trying to get close to these captures of real world places.

16. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

TerraLand's produced heightmaps including raw was always 16bit from the beginning; where did you get the 8bit from?

Yes, good splatting and texture blending plus tessellation and height blending is quality standard for terrain rendering these days and all these features plus many others are already available in our upcoming product to be released soon.

17. Migueljb

Migueljb

If we have a bing key is there a way to download the bing aerial images instead? As I switch the tabs from google to bing they can look alot different.

18. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

TL obtains its data only from ESRI for its terrain generation but as you see the feature is there in the Interactive Map window only for area previewing.

But our upcoming product "TerraWorld" already supports multi source data capturing feature which can generate terrains from user-defined sources as the demand is high on this option. However, in TerraWorld, the scenes are pretty detailed that original heightmap and imagery from mapping sources are mostly used for analysis and the final output of terrain surface in terms of shape and rendering is far more realistic compared to a terrain created from GIS sources.

19. Migueljb

Migueljb

Really looking forward to TerraWorld. I'll be first in line to try it out:)

20. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

21. Trevellyon

Trevellyon

Hi there
    I have been using Terrland 2 and have upgrade to 3, awesome I work love it.
    I have a quick Question at the moment the height is assigned to y axis and lat and long to x, z axis
    Is there any solution to make height on the Z axis, We have a lot of data, lots and lots, millions of data points, that are xy as lat, long and Z as height axis. It would be a nightmare to change all these. Any idea??
    cheers
    T

22. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Trevellyon What is the format of the height data file you are referring?

23. Trevellyon

Trevellyon

hi
    x,z as lat long and y as height (it is data points we wish to represent on the map) so we wanted to rotate the map so that y was height, i know this goes against how unity is set up.
    cheers
    T

24. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Yes I got what you need at first place but asked about the format of the file the data is stored in. Because only supported formats in TL are raw, ascii & ESRI's tif so you need to write a custom wrapper for your data files.

However, you can use external GIS software like Global Mapper which converts your data file and does needed editing there.

25. Trevellyon

Trevellyon

still doesn't answer my question, is there a way you can rotate the landmass/terrain + neighbours so that the height of the terrain is on the z axis, and not on the y?? this would save us reprocessing millions Xn data points. or using a different terrain generator. our data is irrelevant at this point as it will be a point cloud on the map..

26. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

I did answer your question, terrains are not rotatable not in Unity nor in any other engines due to technical limitation/optimization for height-based terrains where heightmap is 2D planar projected. So there is no way other than having your original data in proper format which is a simple step whether done in Unity or outside.

27. Quast

Quast

Great offer. Thank you so much.

28. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Quast likes this.
  29. Glacier-Games

Glacier-Games

Hey there!

So let me start that I absolutely love TerraLand, and I have so many ideas for games that use the tech! I've started production on a game using the Runtime online streaming feature of TerraLand, and everything works great in the editor, but for some reason when I Build & Run the game, TerraLand will not download the heightmaps or satellite images. The downloader stays at 0%. I'm building on a Mac, and have tried building on every version of Unity 2018 and 2019. To test to see that it wasn't just my game, I simply downloaded TerraLand 3 onto an empty project and used Build & Run on the WorldExplorer Main Menu scene and the TerraLand Runtime scene. I also attempted this on every version of Unity 2018 and 2019. It works great in the editor, but when I try and run the built game it once again remains at 0%.

Also, I've set .NET to 4.x in the editor for API Compatability Level and Scripting Runtime Version.

Thank you for your help!

30. startupstor

startupstor

I was really excited about this plugin but it just doesn't work. I tried generating terrain through one menu and terrain data was cloned and completely broken, tried generating through another option and it downloaded the images and then got stuck at 4% on downloading terrain height maps. The worst part is there is not option to cancel the download so I have to exit unity every time I try to troubleshoot the issue.

31. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the late reply. We have investigated the issue and unfortunately there is issues when building Online Streaming scene, the case is open and we try to resolve it as soon as possible and let you know, please send us an email with the same explanations so that we can follow up the case.

32. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Strange! what is the Unity version, TL version and machine specs? And please elaborate more on the issue.

33. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

34. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

For this kind of data, a GIS software such as Global Mapper is needed to edit and export data into tiles. Simply import them in GM, split them into tiles and export in a supported TL format and all this can be done easily in GM.

We have an extensive tutorial shows you how to use external custom data files in TerraLand using Global Mapper here:

In order to setup your own server to be used by TerraLand's streaming system read here to get started about the structure of the streaming servers in TL: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...world-environments.532304/page-6#post-4256392

And: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ter...eal-world-gis-data.377858/page-8#post-3388627

If you want to change your reference data into any other geo-spatial projection formats, Global Mapper will do it for you too. BTW, why do you need to convert to spherical?

35. jj-steele

jj-steele

Hi,

Is there any ETA on Terraworld? Rough guess would be fine.

36. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Roughly this month, follow here: https://discord.gg/QgPpNpE

37. Ruberta

Ruberta

This is october already. Any progress on Terraworld?

38. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Ruberta TerraWorld is currently under Beta stage and testers are giving feedback, we are getting ready for the main release so expect to have it in about a month.

blacksun666 and Ruberta like this.
  39. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

It would be nice if you wait for 2019.3 coming out of beta, before you release. I think the most are like to run it there.

40. Migueljb

Migueljb

That's a good question what version of unity will best work with Terra World?

41. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Some testers reported that it ran well and without any issues in 19.3 Beta so it is already compatible with it.

Andreas12345 likes this.
  42. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The base version we support is 2018.3 and we will continue supporting it in every latest version.

43. TheCwal

TheCwal

Using 2018.4, runtime terrains aren't working for me. Generating before runtime works, as does the original server folder, but at runtime my raws produce flat terrains with single pixel edges, like so Screenshot (71).png

I managed to get tiled builds from World Machine sort of working, but I also noticed that in the terrain setup the heights seem to be almost completely disconnected from the settings in World Machine. A map generated from the default new project is being listed as being almost 20000 meters tall instead of 2625, and an 8192 map of an 8km area doesn't generate square terrains.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  44. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

That's weird, send us the preset file from the Preset Management tab so that we can check out your setup.

Yes, that is expected because TerraLand assumes your heightmaps are in the range of -421~8848 as the Earth surface heights are and all mapping servers produce these heightmaps, so simply change the "Elevation Exaggeration" value to sync it with the heights in World Machine, in your case set this value to: 2625 / 20000 = 0.13125

Please elaborate more on the 8k map you are referring!

45. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Joe-Censored likes this.
  46. Kras

Kras

I need scaled real world map streaming with relief including ocean floor (like gebco data) so the terrain not flat at water level and so i can use ocean system. Is Terraland capable of doing that?

47. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Current elevation service in TL has limited low resolution bathymetric data so it's best to test in different areas. But we have plans to switch elevation service in next version of upcoming TerraWorld after its release so that it covers below sea-level heightmap data too. However, streaming is only embedded in TerraLand and not available in TW.

48. Kras

Kras

So i will need both to achieve it? I will continue working on other features untill your release with that features. Good luck :)

49. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Kras The minute you sent this post TerraWorld has been released on AssetStore: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terraworld-156561

Yes, there are some customers planning to mix TL & TW features in their projects and streaming in TW is planned as a more complete and improved solution, but still a lot of companies use current streaming system in TL happily in their projects. Also you can check current bathy data available in TL if you own to see if it already suits your needs.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  50. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Hey all,

I'm super excited to announce that our latest product "TerraWorld" is now released on AssetStore.

If you own TerraLand, you will get the package with extra 30% off as an upgrade as promised along with the initial 50% off for a limited time, so if you go to AssetStore the price would be $49.99 instead of 69.66 as regular price.

After 50% introductory sale price ends, TL users will still receive 30% off for the original price ranging around $150, so don't miss the chance.

TerraWorld on AssetStore: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terraworld-156561

More info on TerraWorld:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...vel-designer-for-real-world-locations.784217/
    http://terraunity.com/TerraWorld

Cheers

Amir Badamchi
    CEO of TERRA

Quast likes this.