Search Unity

TerraLand 3 - Streaming Huge Real-World & Custom Terrains For Open-World Environments

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TerraUnity, May 20, 2018.

1. twobob

twobob

I just burned a few hours on this.
    Struggled to get it to do anything sensible at all.

2. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I can choose parameters for static terrain and have it set up my scene with one terrain tile, right?

3. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Seems like the special support for terrains is coming soon.

Yes, right... you can have the surface on 1 tile or a grid of them in a static scene.

4. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Thanks for answering my probably preschool question. I bought another, more expensive product (WorldComposer), and I deserve better than that, it's dead anyway and lacks instruction. I'm gonna buy your obviously superior product tomorrow, whenever the September assets come on. Already more satisfaction than I got with the other product, I should have followed my gut. Appreciate you sir or madam.

TerraUnity likes this.
  5. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@BlankDeed You are welcome and thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear about the other product! Hope to see TerraLand usable in your projects.

6. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Looking at this with interest.

Does it integrate with other assets, like Vegetation Studio and Easy Roads?

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Yes, it simply works with any other 3rd party assets since they work on top of Unity's built-in terrain system.

8. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks

TerraUnity likes this.
  9. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

10. LordHorusNL

LordHorusNL

Jut bought this product and i'm having some big issues with unity 2018.2, most of the user interface becomes completely unresponsive after downloading the first terrain and this makes altering the settings almost impossible.

Is 2018.2 supported? And is the product going to be updated soon to fix these major bugs?

Also smoothing on the high setting does not seem to work, the entire heightmap comes out jagged.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  11. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@LordHorusNL What do you mean by big issues and major bugs? TL3 is compatible from ver. 2017.2 up to the current latest version (2018.2.7).

We have never had any reports on this one! What is the pc specs?

Regarding the Smoothing, it is not possible that it does not work for you. Firstly try to understand the original data resolution for the selected region and find the best resolution value for that area. It means the High preset means nothing if the region is too small or the data is not in high-res there. (e.g. High setting on a 100km2 area gives smoother surface than a 5km2 for the same area because less resampling is done). When you choose the right settings for the area, you'll see that the Smooth processor works properly. You can also use TerraLand Terrain's component to smooth out generated terrains in the scene and play with the Iterations value to make it smoother.

You can also save and share the preset file out of your settings in TerraLand UI so that we can take a closer look at your settings from here.

Finally watch video tutorials on our YouTube channel to learn more about TerraLand.

12. LordHorusNL

LordHorusNL

I've imported Terra Land into a new project to see if the UI bug still appears, which it does. It would seem i can only have one "sub section" open at a time (Engine Resolution presets, Interactive Map, etc) If i open multiple sections the UI becomes unresponsive for the most part "can no longer close sub sections below the top most open one or click buttons properly"

This only applies to the Terra Land Downloader window, the rest of the unity UI is unaffected.

But when i close all the section i'm not using the plugin is now usable atleast :)

Also you where right about the smoothing, the area of the world i was sampling just had low resolution.

Thank you for the quick response.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  13. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@LordHorusNL you are welcome :) now I got what you mean by unresponsive, this was a Unity bug for custom plugins UI and not related to TerraLand nor any 3rd party plugins. I guess the issue was introduced in Unity 18.2.1 or 18.2.2 where the visual elements and actor locations were not synced and got worse as you moved down in the UI.

Upgrading Unity to the latest version will remove the issue and the buttons and UI elements will work properly. I think that was due to Unity's new UI system which will be released in 18.3 and it had temporary issues in that area.

Let us know if you still experience the same issue in the latest version though.

14. LordHorusNL

LordHorusNL

Yes i figured it was due to a unity layout bug and had nothing to do with Terra Land, and thanks again for the quick response.

15. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

16. Artini

Artini

Awesome package - have a lot of fun exploring it.
    Big thanks for making it even more available, by putting it on sale.
    Running it in Unity 2018.2.5f1.
    Your notes about "SmoothFollowAdvanced" script was essential to get it running.
    I also get problems with PauseMenu script, that was in Standard Assets,
    so I've just removed Scripts folder from SampleScenes Menu subdirectory.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    TerraUnity likes this.
  17. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Artini so glad you like it. Regarding the first time installation of the asset:

All these issues are related to UAS's new guidelines in order to keep any Standard Assets related files out of the main package and let (force) the users to bring them into the project separately.

So we are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this behavior, but our hands are tied in this one. We try to narrow this down so that you don't need extra steps to get it running in the next update.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  18. maddabbo

maddabbo

Is there any option to use this to make the world on a proper WGS84 geoid?
    Something that would manipulate the height values to fit the geoid?

Set a geoid zero spot that is the highest point on the geoid and drop all other height samples as they offset from the zero spot.

Thanks,

Michael

19. twobob

twobob

not as far I have noticed. no.

20. zetingq

zetingq

Use the latest terraland 3
    Unity 2018.1.6
    When I import the resource {Amplify Impostors}
    The following error occurred
    upload_2018-9-13_16-12-26.png

What is the problem with this?

21. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Not built-in but some external GIS software do projection conversions on imported data. But at the end of the day you need a spherical projected surface as a custom solution in Unity.

22. twobob

twobob

@zetingq Err.. is that using the System.Drawing class thingy? or the other way about? or something?
    Did you update the .net version? Is there some random dll being referenced?

I seem to recognise the error from somewhere but brain fail

23. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

This is due to conflicts with imported libraries with the same namespace and class names.

The quickest workaround is to generate terrains in TerraLand and when you are done, delete the TerraLand folders if you want to and develop further with other 3rd party plugins.

Or you need to detect the conflicts between libraries and change their namespace/class names.

24. zetingq

zetingq

Did not update the .net version, just use the Amplify ImImpostors plugin, delete any of these two plugins will disappear

25. zetingq

zetingq

The second method is a bit difficult for me. I can only delete the TerraLand after using it.
    Because of Amplify ImImpostors, must have a talent in the later stage.

26. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Seems as a good workaround.

Did not understand this part exactly!

27. zetingq

zetingq

[QUOTE =“TerraUnity,帖子:3681415,成员:122384”]似乎是一个很好的解决方法。

完全不明白这部分![/ QUOTE]
    Sorry, I use computer translation.
    Amplify ImImpostors plugin, will continue to be used later in the project

28. zetingq

zetingq

I am using TerraLand 3 now, very easy to use.
    But I have other needs now,
    I hope that the features that TerraLand 3 can add later.
    Now using the terra land maps maker,
    Is the best function I have used to generate a splatmap from a satellite image.
    Now I want to generate 8 or 16 filters
    Unity is a texture of 4 filters
    When generating 8 or 16 filters
    Can directly output 2 or more splatmaps,
    I think it is the best
    If here
    upload_2018-9-21_10-25-41.png
    Being able to add multiple images at once is also a great feature

TerraUnity likes this.
  29. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@zetingq thanks for the suggestions, very good points. Yes, as splatmaps use only 4 channels of image so filters above 4 are useless now, the ability to have more generated splatmaps in this case must be added.

Regarding processing multiple images at once, we have already added a feature to insert a folder containing satellite images to process instead of a single image too.

The MapsMaker is somewhat in Beta and will improve in later versions, so let us know if you have any other suggestions regarding this or other components.

30. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

FYI, the 50% introductory sale for TerraLand 3 will be over at the end of this month and the regular price will be $49.

A new update will be also submitted with some minor improvements for next week.

31. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I followed the included instructions and still have no toolbar. I didn't have a SmoothFollowAdvanced in my standard assets folder though. I did however try just adding it as well as renaming an replacing it, neither of those worked for me. Sorry if it's a super easy thing, I read through the forum here as well as the included docs.

Edit: Current version everything and I tried reinstalling both.

32. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

If you import the package with all of its contents plus the Standard Assets modules listed in the "Standard Assets Download.txt" file mentioned in this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...world-environments.532304/page-2#post-3571495 everything will be setup properly.

The SmoothFollowAdvanced script is in the Tournament folder of TerraLand but may have conflicts with the SmoothFollow script in the Standard Assets as they both come from Unity namespace. But regarding the toolbar, if you have no errors in the console it will become available with no issues at all.

Did not understand what you mean here but there is no need to reinstall anything at all.

33. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Current version means I have the current version of Unity and your asset.
    I reinstalled both your asset and the standard asset, in multiple timings to attempt to fix this issue.
    I know there is no need, that would be insane, I was attempting to see if it fixed.

Sorry, but I said I followed the instructions and then you basically said to follow the instructions and everything would go fine. There is not a smoothfollowadvanced in your tournament folder, and now I'm confused by your wording as to if I even need it. Why do I need a file from there with the same name as the one you uploaded and said to use, is one newer than the other?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  34. swredcam

swredcam

I am using Complete Terrain Shader (CTS) in addition to terrains created from TerraLand, and I am getting a lot of strange issues with the CTS shaders. Adam from Procedural Worlds suggested that I need a normal map for the terrain. How can I create normal maps for each existing terrain?

35. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Assets/TerraLand/TerraLand Tournament/Scripts/PauseMenu.cs(29,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `PauseMenu'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/CrossPlatformInput/CrossPlatformInputInitialize.cs(95,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup.PSM' is obsolete: `PSM has been removed in >= 5.3'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/CrossPlatformInput/CrossPlatformInputInitialize.cs(96,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup.Tizen' is obsolete: `Tizen has been removed in 2017.3'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/CrossPlatformInput/CrossPlatformInputInitialize.cs(35,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.BuildTarget.PSM' is obsolete: `PSM has been removed in >= 5.3'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/CrossPlatformInput/CrossPlatformInputInitialize.cs(36,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.BuildTarget.Tizen' is obsolete: `Tizen has been removed in 2017.3'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/SimpleActivatorMenu.cs(10,16): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.GUIText' is obsolete: `This component is part of the legacy UI system and will be removed in a future release.'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/ActivateTrigger.cs(57,33): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Object.DestroyObject(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `use Object.Destroy instead.'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/ForcedReset.cs(6,27): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.GUITexture' is obsolete: `This component is part of the legacy UI system and will be removed in a future release.'
    Assets/Standard Assets/Utility/TimedObjectDestructor.cs(24,13): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Object.DestroyObject(UnityEngine.Object)' is obsolete: `use Object.Destroy instead.'

Sorry I'm being a nuisance, it works for everybody else so I have to be failing to understand something. I think there's a translation error in the material I'm missing because neither I nor my standard assets have smoothfollowadvanced, or your files for that matter. The only one on my computer is the one I downloaded from the forum. I'm gonna have to admit my failure and send you an email for the precompiled package, per your instructions.

36. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@BlankDeed There's a line in the "Standard Assets Download.txt" which says:

Maybe that's the problem you are facing. But anyways don't worry there's nothing too hard in setting it up, sometimes small things ruin the whole system. Just register on our website from here and send us your username/email and the AssetStore's Invoice No. so that we setup your account to get access to the latest packages with Standard Assets in place.

However, we try to submit a new version today with some minor changes plus removing most of these steps as some other users went through these problems during installation.

37. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Send screenshots here and we will have a closer look at the problems. But please note that what you are asking is not related to TerraLand at all and having a global normalmap for terrain is related to shaders and the asset you are using.

38. swredcam

swredcam

How is the image data applied to the terrains? I see a "Base Terrain" material that seems to use the image data, but there is also a terrain texture that matches the image data. Which one of these actually is used? I think if I can apply image texture as something other than a terrain texture CTS might be OK. I'm just not sure if "Base Terrain" is considered a texture or not. I don't need the image texture to interact with CTS -- textures that I apply over the base image are the ones that need CTS.

39. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

I have no idea what Base Terrain material is, we don't have CTS either!

In TerraLand satellite images are used as terrain textures and they are draped over the terrain surface, that's it. No custom shading at all.

I guess that CTS takes a global texture (in this case a satellite image) as the global colormap or "Base Terrain" you mention along with detail textures draped over the terrain using the splatmap/maskmap, but I may be totally wrong about all these. Again, ask the CTS developer to get started about this.

40. swredcam

swredcam

"Base Terrain" is not part of CTS, it is in the settings for a given terrain. It does appear that CTS populates that material but it is present even without CTS. It's not clear to me what it is though.

41. swredcam

swredcam

Oh and I am also talking to Adam (CTS) as well. He is the one who suggested I see about a normal map for the TL texture.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have both CTS and TerraLand 3, I can help, if you explain what you are trying to accomplish...

The CTS Profile is driven by your terrain splat textures & splat maps, unity, by default ,does not have a colormap/normal map slot,

You have to assign new splat maps, generated by MapMaker, once in CTS..

"Base Terrain" is the actual Terrain mesh in the Project View (usually auto assigned on creation)
    and it contains the splat maps (TL3 has a splat re-assigner in the tools dropdown)

Free On-Line NormalMap Generator: feed in your sat maps!!

p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
    TerraUnity likes this.
  43. swredcam

swredcam

Just a quick update. My problem with TL and CTS appears to have been two-fold. When selecting the TL texture in the terrain for "Editing", I was getting the error message that wrap mode needed to be enabled. After enabling wrap mode to "repeat", I was able to add a placeholder normal for the TL texture. At that point most of the issues went away. Adam had a great suggestion for putting the TL image data in the color map section of CTS -- I will create another post for this after I have a better grasp of the steps. He did lead me through it though and it worked great, and seems to be a better approach than having a dedicated texture.

44. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

TL automatically set the wrap mode of satellite images to clamp while generating textures, that's because satellite images never repeat or tile on surface and having them set to repeat will create artifacts at image borders with neighbors. That's why when you set it to repeat, the other options will become available to insert normalmaps or set metallic/smoothness.

As I guessed blindly and stated in previous reply, if there is a colormap slot in CTS, that has to be the satellite image and if it needs a global normalmap for the terrain, you can create one as @ForceVFX suggested.

FYI, we already have multiple tools to automate all the process to have different map types for the terrain and assigning them to the material but these solutions will be available in our new product to come.

45. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Super fast response with the setup. Got it off your website no problem and the results are exactly what I wanted, much better than that other product. Set it up and got my terrain in minutes without the need of any guide at all, super easy. However, after I added it I added another asset and it brought up the TerraLand setup screens again after it installed that. I already had the terrain I wanted so I figured it was an error and closed the setup prompts, which completely deleted my terrain. So I went and set up my terrain again after the fact and went to hit play, it started recompiling the setup files and then it brought up the setup menu again. Every single time I hit play it brings up the tournament and Terraland setup, sometimes it messes up my play, sometimes it just closes until I hit play again.

TerraUnity likes this.
  46. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Glad you liked it so far ;)

That's strange, the setup windows have nothing to do with the generated terrains! Are you sure they are related?

Ok to get rid of the 2 setup launchers, simply find "TerraLandSettings.cs" & "TournamentSettings.cs" in project and delete them. Seems like the other asset overwrites what TL tried to change in project settings. These scripts try to change some minor elements to the project settings but get recalled anytime changes are reverted; will submit an update to the package in the following days and make this procedure a lot easier so that the launchers will pop only once in each project forever.

If you have already read through the "Downloader Setup.txt" under TerraLand => TerraLand Core => _IMPORTANT SETUP folder in project, you are all fine and there's no need to have those 2 setup launchers in project.

47. Xaron

Xaron

Thanks for this impressive asset!

Just a question regarding licenses for the data. Can the height data and satellite texturing be used in commercial projects? I ask because usually the freely available terrain data is for educational purposes only.

48. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Xaron so glad you like TL. Regarding licensing of the data from ESRI in TerraLand, refer to this post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ter...eal-world-gis-data.377858/page-4#post-2798301

As far as we know, this is the imagery which is mostly under licensing regulations rather than elevation data if you are using them heavily in commercial projects but as stated through the information shared, there is no hard restrictions for using them regularly.

49. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Any chance somebody can point me to the fix for this, clean 2018.2.7f1 project it only has the standard assets and UUC installed

Assets/TerraLand/TerraLand Tournament/Scripts/PauseMenu.cs(29,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `PauseMenu'

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Indicates Duplicate file/class names, you can try to type/search 'PauseMenu' in the project view, top box, it will filter by name, and delete the one in the standard assets directory..I think the mobile UI example has a pause menu..p-

TerraUnity likes this.