Search Unity

[RELEASED] Terra - A mesh generating infinite procedural terrain generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WALK2222, Mar 13, 2018.

1. WALK2222

WALK2222

Terra is an infinite procedural terrain mesh generator that allows you to quickly create terrain both visually and programmatically. Customizing the procedural generation pipeline is simple yet powerful through the use of Terra’s generation API. Any generator created visually can be implemented programmatically allowing you to tailor generation to the specifics of your game.

If you’re looking for a procedural terrain generator that allows for an easy setup while still featuring complete programmatic customization, Terra is your asset.

Terra is different from many other procedural terrain generator assets in that it creates a Mesh rather than using Unity's built in Terrain. This allows for a whole new level of customization for developers who may feel limited by the Terrain component.

Now available on the Asset Store!

Key Features:
    • A node/graph editor for easy--- programming-free generation
    • Multithreaded generation
    • Uses a Mesh rather than Unity Terrain for lower level customization and optimization
    • Heightmap-free generation
    • Live in-editor terrain previewing
    • Node graphs are saved in a json file and can be shared/imported across different computers
    • Fully programmable generation pipeline API
    • A material editor that stamps textures based on height and angle
    • An event system that reports different stages of execution allowing insertion of custom code
    • A chunk-based infinite terrain system that caches previously visited chunks
    • Compatibility with procedural material shaders (such as MegaSplat’s)
    • In-editor terrain previewing
    • Deferred collider generation for chunks that are outside a set radius
    • Extensive documentation
    In-Development Features:
    • Multithreaded generation (Available in latest update)
    • Live terrain previewing (Available in latest update)
    • Procedural object placement with object pooling
    • LOD System
    Promo & Latest DevLog:
    Please note that the latest devlog best represents that feature set of Terra, the promo video may be outdated in some places.

Screenshots:

The above 45 terrain tiles were generated in 12 seconds with a consistent FPS above 40 during generation.

tapawafo likes this.
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Hi, I find this system interesting even in its early stage.
    One question: do you plan to add manual terrain modifications and object placement later up?
    I'm considering this system for a racing game, so I would need to place objects at will and dig roads in the procedurally generated terrain.

Another question: why not use Unity Terrains, that come with integrated LOD system?
    At the moment I don't see a lot of motivation to not use standard Unity Terrains and stuff... unless it's for performance, as I see your terrain chunks are very small.