Search Unity

[RELEASED] Survival Engine - Complete Project Template for Survival Games

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IndieMarc, Sep 18, 2020.

1. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

I love that idea ! Addons are much better in my view. It's a good way to support the author for the nice work they are doing and also not overbloat the main engine. Massive thumbs up from me !

2. storkych

storkych

I really like this direction.
    It would be cool to see an online mode in the future, I think many will agree with me. Maybe even in the form of integration, I'm willing to pay extra for it.

3. NamraGame

NamraGame

Hello!
    This asset feels great, I've just tried the demo, and I am thinking about switching to your engine since it would probably save months of development.
    A few questions though:
    • how would it work in 2.5D? like, 2d sprites for the character? I wondered how much the worflow id "3d dependent" for the character, since there's this constraint thing happening when we equip with a tool etc.
    • how friendly the engine is with a joypad? I saw incontrol is integrated but the demo is not playable with a joypad?
    thanks a lot!

ps: swimming would be nice ;)

4. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Hey thanks for your interest in this asset.

You can surely make it work with 2D sprites, as long as you keep the 3D camera perspective it should work well with just a few edits (for animations) . 3D perspective with 2D sprite would give you a look a bit like don't starve. (Also keep using the 3d physics).

For 2D animations I strongly suggest to do them in Spine, as this is a bone animation software and unity can import the character bone structure and that would allow you to attach equipment the same way it works in 3D.
    If you use sprite sheets, since theres no bones, that could be a bit more complex, but with spine anims it would be exactly like in my tutorial. (you may need some custom code to call spine animations, but i think you can also use the spine component that works with Unity Animator). Ah and youd probably need to comment out the rotation and replace it by different animations based on which side the character is going.

Yes the demo doesnt have the integration, but theres a read me file that explains exactly how to integrate incontrol. and all the controls for gamepad are already coded.

And finally, just a heads-up that starting tomorrow the asset will be on sale 30% off as part of the asset store end of year sale, so you should wait tomorrow to buy it :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  5. NamraGame

NamraGame

haha that's really nice! At the end of the message I was about to buy it ;)
    Well, I would prefer spritesheet but, having the option to display the weapon is tempting. It's also a looot of work to redraw every anim for each tool... even Hades uses 3d so maybe cellshading "a la GuiltyGear" might be the solution....
    anyway.
    thanks for the each reply!
    I'm gonna wait tomorrow then!

6. johny256

johny256

Hi!

Do you plan to add a 3d view? fps view and fiearm guns(pistol,Machinegun etc)and 3d models hands

7. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Not planned at the moment no.

But theres already a third person camera mode, with free camera rotation using the mouse.

Theres also ranged weapons including a pistol gun. (nut gun).

8. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

New in 1.09

Backpack & Inventory

-New backpack that can store items
    -Items stay inside the backpack even when dropped
    -Items in backpack saved in the savefile
    -New equipment slots (accessory and backpack)
    -Right click to open the action menu is now possible on the storage/backpacks slots

Crafting System
    -Craft stations with their own crafting categories
    -Crafting and building duration
    -Crafting requirements (required buildings to craft/build something)

Code structure
    -Updated save files to streamline inventory functions and data in a new class: InventoryData
    -Updated the UI scripts to avoid code dupplication, using inheritence

New Prefabs
    -Workshop and Alchemy station (crafting stations)
    -Furnace (melt metal/gold)
    -Ring of power item (increased attacked, equipped in new accessory slot)
    -Backpack item

Other Improvements
    -Tooltips for selectables
    -New default UI art
    -Fix issue that prevented from interacting with Surface selectables with gamepad
    -Improved Characters movement with navmesh pathfinding ON
    -Optimized animal/bird script for performance
    -Added random rotation/scale to objected generated the world generator
    -Fix buildable collision that could be built on top of other things sometimes
    -Show which items you don't have in red in the crafting panel

If you are updating from previous version, make sure to do a backup first, then import the new version, and after you have no compile errors, run the tool SurvivalEngine->FixProjectVersion

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  9. storkych

storkych

Really cool update! Thanks!
    Are you going to add the destruction of buildings? (so that the building is destroyed if something is destroyed under it)

10. Stefan86

Stefan86

I interacted with Enviro Sky..
    open the TimeClockUI script :
    - add "public EnviroSky enviroSky;"
    -in Start : "enviroSky=GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Enviro_Sky").GetComponent<EnviroSky>();"
    -in Update at last : "enviroSky.SetTime(0, 0, time_hours, time_secs, 0);"

in Scene add Enviro Sky Manager:
    -EnviroSky Standard add Tag "Enviro_Sky"
    -set Progress Time to SystemTime
    - set DirectionLight in Component Setup to DirectionLight from Survival Engine and delete directionlight from Enviro

ArtemX1 likes this.
  11. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Will do! Will add something in next version.

I'm sorry but im really not sure what you mean by "EnviroSky". What are you trying to do? And is it related to Survival Engine ?

12. BN219

BN219

Do you have any plan to support multiplay?

13. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Not at the moment

14. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

If you changed some material shader to non-standard shader, and you have issues that the Material doesn't have the _Color property. Try replacing those scripts (1.09 only).

These will be included in next fix update 1.09.1

Attached Files:

15. psy89

psy89

Hi!
    I have a problem:
    I'm using Unity Terrain. Every time I start the game the player is falling down because he's always starting at a 0 y position. But I set the height of my terrain a little bit higher. Can I set the y position where the player spawns somewhere in the code? The terrain is marked as Floor and a NavMesh is also generated.

16. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

You can change the player position on the object in the scene instead maybe?
    Its not in the code at the moment.

17. AyArtGames

AyArtGames

Hi !! i would like to thank u for this asset i really love ur work. I have some suggestions if u can add them to the game it would be awesome.

-achievement system.
    -a craft system for transportations like creating boats or carriages.
    - a drop/loot rate that defind how much % of chance do u have to drop a specific item or ressource on a specific mob.
    - add allies and ennemies npc system, for allies: they help u to build / chase or get ressources (wood, gold ex..) and store them into a special building (like those npcs on age of empire kind of), for ennemies just simple AI that attack / chase (by vision if u are out of vision they give up) and patrol on there zones.
    -if those allies can benefite from the boosts made by special buildings to, it would be awesome.
    -capturing mounts like horses and mounting system.
    - i was about to say a quest system but i saw that u have one, i will test it. hopefuly that it can make a bit elaborated quests like killing a mob / farming a ressource or finishing a dungeon -> to open a new area or give u an item that give boosts ex.. .
    -for the drop system, it would be nice if its like a table with the drops and then u choose between them what to take into inventory, and after some minutes they get destroyed if they are not taken.
    - this one is really needed, a CharacterPersistency ability, that will allow you to keep the exact state of your character when moving from scene to scene.

Yea it's alot of requests haha. anyways thank u again for the great work and the clean code that u gave us ! And am sooooooooooo thankful that u added a mobile version thats for me what made ur asset a top notch on the asset store, don't give up on the mobile facet please !!

18. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Hey thank you very much for the suggestions. I will see if they fit in the list of possible updates and priorities!

Changing scene should already preserve all the saved data in the current version.

AyArtGames likes this.
  19. storkych

storkych

Hi. I noticed that there was a destructibility, but there is such a problem: If there is a roof (ceiling) under the wall, then it remains in the air with everything that stands on it, even if everything is broken under it.

20. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

This was fixed a while ago. Are you in the last version?

21. storkych

storkych

Just imported the asset to the new project, same. :(

upload_2021-1-13_23-4-4.png

22. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Are you sure its the last version? Sometimes unity dont update properly. Can you try this script.??

Attached Files:

23. storkych

storkych

Same situation with this script ;/
    upload_2021-1-14_15-6-11.png upload_2021-1-14_15-5-37.png upload_2021-1-14_15-7-30.png
    upload_2021-1-14_15-8-11.png
    Only if you try to break this roof, the wall collapses. But the roof still stays in the air until you break it by hand.

24. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Ok i think i fixed it ! Try this one.
    And on the roof prefab, check the new checkbox "ignore flat floor"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    storkych likes this.
  25. storkych

storkych

Now it works! But if there is something on top of the object that belongs to the floor layer of this object, then the destruction does not occur. (for example: wall > ceiling > wall) I think that the raycast just intersects with the object from above.
    I tried to fix it myself, but it didn't work out yet.
    Anyway, thank you so much!

26. Vaupell

Vaupell

Hi Mark.

Q1: How crazy would it be to use a different character controller?
    is it just to put your scripts needed onto a different one or does it require custom modification to the scripts.

Q2: I wish to run a different quest manager, so when the player completes a quest, can i use C# hooks to execute rewards? (ie spawn items or stuff in their inventory, maybe something like usingurscriptname.spawnitem("axe",1);

Q3: I use Gaia and other environment controllers, how difficult would it be to disable you're so i use my own?

27. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

I dont recommend it

Yes its easy to spawn items with Item.Create() its also easy to check if the player has an item in their inventory PlayerCharacter.Get().Inventory.HasItem

It should work, make sure to set the floor to the Floor layer, and make sure to design your new prefabs correctly so they have the survival engine scripts.

Vaupell likes this.
  28. Vaupell

Vaupell

The only reason i mentioned the character controller, is because i want to add a wall climbing option for the player. :D

29. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

30. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

New in 1.10

Integration with Map and Minimap
    -Added integration with the new asset Map and Minimap.
    -it saves the map explored data in the save file and also pauses the game when the map is opened.

Crafting improvements
    -Crafting fillers! You can now define 'groups' of items instead in the crafting cost, for example you could have a vegetable group and have different items in that group, you can use any of those to craft the recipe.
    -Crafting requirements now also work for items in the inventory. So you could have a requirements of having a specific tool to craft something.

Mixing Pot
    -New MixingPot script, that open a UI panel where you can craft things by mixing items (without knowing the exact recipe).
    -You need to assign all the possible crafting recipe that can be created on the MixingPot script.
    -There's a demo of it on the FurnaceMix prefab (not the regular furnace).

World Regrowth
    New mechanic (script WorldRegrowth.cs), when attached to an object, it will automatically respawn based on settings when destroyed.
    -So you could attach this script to animals, plants or items, to make them respawn once the player kill/harvest/collect them.
    -You can define a wait duration and a probability for the respawn.

Various other fixes
    -Add useful text on the editor tools
    -Add events (UnityAction) on the World Generator and on the Item scripts.
    -Read action can now be used to read images (so you could have a treasure map and when you read it it shows the image).
    -Reworked save data to fix issues with animal spawn.
    -New easy function to show/hide anything that has a UniqueID (and keep its state in the save), without needing to be a destructible or Item or Plant, etc.

ThatBeADragon and AyArtGames like this.
  31. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Are there any plans to add shop or merchant?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    mayhem4masses and digiross like this.
  32. NamraGame

NamraGame

I am really loving it so far!
    Played a bit with the animator, pretty easy to replace with your own character, the tutorial is really well done. I am definitely waiting for more Tutorials ;) Not sure why we can slowly move the character with the pad without activating the "move" parameter but I'll figure it out. (you see the character "levitating" kind of).

:) little tip: If you dont want the depth of field to affect the UI, simply put the Render Mode of UICanvas to "Screen Space - Overlay"

:p Quick question: do you plan making a swimming controller?

mini-map looks great

33. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Hey thanks for your comments!
    For the character i will fix in the next version: you can go in the PlayerCharacter.cs script, inside the IsMoving function, and replace the value 0.25 by something smaller like 0.1, it should fix the issue.

NamraGame likes this.
  34. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Thanks for the super asset, we finally chose it as the main asset for the development of our game in combination with the Game creator.

What we currently miss the most:

1) slightly better building construction and placement of objects (eg fixtures). At the moment we have to bridge this EBS or Ubuild

2) direct integration with Emerald AI. Basic intelligence is good, Emerald is a little further. We have Emerald integrated, but we have to bridge your systems pretty hard, it would help natively.

3) integrated trading with AI

4) map - missing HUD navigation, or various types of navigation - we have to solve with another asset

5) quests - missing journal, step display of quests. The name and description of the Quest is also entered into the database and is incorrectly translated. Here we have to help with quests with Game creator

6) linking quests and maps with navigation (see point 4)

7) relationships are integrated in quests. Ideal would be some grouping of relationships - ie family / group, etc ..

luisantony199 and IndieMarc like this.
  35. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. This is a very new asset and working to improve it when I can. These are all great ideas.

Could you explain what you mean by map hud navigation and quest hud navigation? Do you have some examples?

Also what do you mean by quest translated incorrectly?

Building system was improved a lot since 1.08 and 1.09. If youre on the new versions, what do you feel is still missing in the building system? Can you explain more in details.

And how was the integration with game creator? Because they are two completely separate engine so I usually dont recommend using both at the same time. Did it work well?

Also the developer of Emerald AI said to me he was working on an integration for Survival Engine. So maybe check with them how the integration is going if people remind him maybe he'll release it sooner!

Overall I think your suggestions are spot on, on the kind of features i want to improve in this asset! Thank you.

36. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

We use asset HUD Navigation System: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/hud-navigation-system-103056

It would be enough to do something simpler and connect it all from your assets: Quest and Maps. This would link those quests to the map.

In terms of translations, that was quite a problem with your assets. Finally, we chose: Localization Pro, which can also translate strings. Unfortunately, the name and description of the quest is listed in the database, which we will have to translate on the contrary for the UI output. If it could be unified and simplified in some way, it would be great.

Building system - we have the latest version. It would be most helpful if each object had the option to turn on the laying as a building object. For these objects, it would be laid differently, it would like to finish the possibility of rotation and attachment to another object, and at the same time the character does not move during laying, but stands still - ie you do not place objects, but you build. I will give an example: I will make chairs and a painting. I will build the floor and the wall. I'll put the chairs in building mode, shoot her. Then I place a picture that sticks to the wall. If you finish this novelty, it will create the ultimate building combination.

Overall, I would definitely give the construction mode with the option to turn it on without the player walking - he gets involved in various ways, in addition, he often bothers colliders to start construction. The larger the objects / parts, the more the whole thing is tangled there.

Emerald AI and other assets - You could solve the implementation of everything possible very easily. And it would be absolutely brilliant. It would be enough to do what you have done in Quest asset - script Narrative Events / call function. If you add this function to every action in Survival asset and map asset, practically anything can be connected to it. The entire Emerald and Game Creator and other assets can be controlled in this way, so the relevant functions in the given asset are called to the events.

Game Creator integration. You'll be surprised, but it's going pretty well and without major problems. Game Creator has the ultimate action system that complements your editor.

The huge advantage of your system is simplicity and modularity, so it is usually well connected. Therefore, I would advise you to stick to this style and system.

For example, I will mention Quests. We bought a Quest Machine, a Quest asset in Game Creator and a Love / hate asset. And he still won your asset to use. It's really ingeniously put together - a unique concept. Then I can add what kind of asset I want to your asset. The second example is the main character. We use character and control from Game Creator + Puppet master + ultimate IK. Just add your character scripts and it works fine for us :)

I apologize for my English, we are from the Czech Republic :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    ArtemX1 and IndieMarc like this.
  37. mayhem4masses

mayhem4masses

Hi Marc,

Loving this amazing asset so far, and I think you are doing great work on it. I know it is a fairly new asset to Unity, but I was wondering if you had any plans to implement the following. Either as part of the original asset or a separate purchase. You deserve all the money you can get so a separate purchase would be fine:

Shop Keeper:
    Someone you can visit in the game and purchase items from. I know you can kind of do this with your quest/dialog system, but maybe an exclusive system would be nice that shows an items value and trade value etc.

Multiplayer/Lan support:
    There is another Unity asset similar to yours that allows multiplayer support. Would this be something you would consider?

Riding/Mounted Horse/Animal: Running around all day gets tedious, do you plan to include any kind of animal or horse mounting system?

Thanks!

IndieMarc likes this.
  38. BoneyPile

BoneyPile

I seriously cant believe how good this asset is! Just wanted to stop by and say that. Its soooooo clean and modular. Cant wait to tear into it!

IndieMarc likes this.
  39. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Just want to say that this specific feature is already in, you just need to increase the build_range on the buildable script so that the player can build from more far away.

40. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thank you so much for your comment :)

41. ThatBeADragon

ThatBeADragon

Wow this asset (and the map and quest addons) is so amazing! I found it via the demo on Android and had to buy it, I've been having loads of fun with it this morning with my 5 year old son. 11/10 definitely worth the price! :)

IndieMarc likes this.
  42. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Can you please add the actor relation status to the dialog box?

43. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

I dont want to add it by default to keep the box clean, but that should not be too complex to add. You can edit the DialoguePanel.cs script. You can add a public Text param for the relation.
    public Text relation_text;

Then in the code, inside the SetDialogue function, you can access the actor relation using
    int actor_value = NarrativeData.Get().GetActorValue(msg.actor);  

And display that in the text field with something like:
    relation_text.text = "Relation: " + actor_value.ToString();

Then you would of course need to edit the DialogueBox prefab to link the relation_text variable to an actual ui Text field.

I hope this helps.

44. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

thanks for the help!

45. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Would they create local variables in addition to global variables? For generated objects, this would be very useful, or you can set up better relationships in this way and actors can be used as groups of actors.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  46. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Two errors were found in the dialog module:

1) when exiting from the dialog window with the right mouse button, the actor's bubble remains open.

2) The actor's relationships are set to zero. When completing 1 quest, I add 1 to relations = works, relations are 1. When completing the second quest, I add 1 to the relations with the same command, but the relations remain at 1, ie the number is not added for some unknown reason. This only works if I use the set command instead of the add command.
    But I need to add relationships gradually, not set them up manually

IndieMarc likes this.
  47. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Would one change be made that would be very helpful? If I put an object on the scene that doesn't have a unique ID, could it be generated automatically? This manual generation is not enough for all situations. Other engines have automatic string generation by default, it's much more practical

48. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

This is fixed now uploaded on asset store.
    Thank you so much for letting me know.

ThatBeADragon likes this.
  49. tomkass1234

tomkass1234

Would it be possible to modify the system of narrative choice for the Dialog module so that it is not several identical scripts? Translators into other languages then have a problem with this because they take the input text as identical text (the script is the same). Then the translation of text fields in narrative choice does not work

50. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Sorry i don't really understand what you're saying here. There are no identical script?
    In the latest version the systen access the text t using GetText, you could edit this function to access the translation string.
    But you will need to have your translation system.