Search Unity

[RELEASED] Super Tilemap Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome! Thx CS!

2. Supergeek

Supergeek

The store description says "Support for subdivided autotiling." What does that mean, exactly?

3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It means a tile can be made of 4 subtiles taken from different tiles.
    This is useful, for example, to create the interior corners of a carpet brush and create more combinations easily.
    upload_2016-8-27_16-33-43.png

4. Khena_B

Khena_B

Great tool, just what i needed, i'm hoping that in the future the collision editing will become more intuitive, when working with large terrain tilesets with slopes and lots of small details, editing each tiles one at a time is extremely tedious, i wish i could draw collision shapes over multiple tiles at once.

Keep up the good work.

5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I answered as reply of your review before I see you asked here so I will answer here as well.
    You can make a rectangular selection of tiles and update all colliders at once.
    Also, you can copy and paste collider data from a tile to another.
    Anyway I will try to find a more easy way to do this.

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

7. IceTrooper

IceTrooper

Hello, I've just purchase your package. First of all, thank you for that tool, I hope it will be flawless work. ;)
    Unfortunately, I found 3 bugs - one can be more difficult to fix.
    1. The most annoying and I can't work with that.

As you can see, in the scene view this bug is the most noticeable. I have strange pixels on some of the sprite bound (scene view is zoomed in on the first snow platform). In the game view, you can see that the second platform have thin white line below it. Almost every sliced sprite has those glitches with odd pixels. I don't know how to fix that.
    The spritesheet is a spritesheet from Kenney Pack (Platfromer Pack Redux http://kenney.nl/assets/platformer-pack-redux).

2. In the tile pallete window I can't scroll down the window. Every time I do this, it immidiately change a position to default.

3. When I choose Atlas Texture, first I want to see what I'm choosing so I click once on the spritesheet. Sometimes when I click only once and select something, window recieve a false double-click. The more I click, the faster bug appears.

Greetings!

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I think this would be tricky. Anyway the tool is optimized to be fast enough in most cases.
    Why do you need to update it in a thread? I will have to redesign the SetTileData because it's calling some Unity API methods that are not thread safe.

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

The first bug is because you didn't change the texture filter to None in the texture import settings.
    I will check the bug number two. Sharing scroll position betweens controls was not a good idea. I tested it several times, but I missed some cases where this can happen.
    To fix the issue change the line 111 of TilesetControl.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //m_sharedData = GetSharedTilesetData(Tileset);
    2. if (m_sharedData == null) m_sharedData = new SharedTilesetData();
    About the last bug, it's not clear what was the problem. Anyway I don't control the Unity asset selection window, so maybe it's not related with the tool unless I didn't understand what you mean.

10. IceTrooper

IceTrooper

Ohh, thank you for your fast reply. Stupid thing with this first 'bug'. Second solution (2. bug) also works.
    3. bug: I wanted to say, that when I click only once to select something, window sometimes recieves double-click, instead of once click. EDIT: Ok, I see what I was doing wrong. When I clicked on something was sliced before in Sprite Editor, the window "Import Sprite Sheet?" appears. I thought that it was because of lag input (double click instead of one click), but I see that this behaviour is normal. Thank you again. :)

11. Khena_B

Khena_B

Thanks for listening,

I've figured this out and it helps for tiles with full collision, but when most of the tiles have a different collision such as my more detailed art style, it has to be edited one at a time and it has to be done carefully to make sure the collision is seamless. Having the ability to draw collision shapes over multiple tiles at once would make this tool extremely time efficient.

Here is a quickly made mockup of my idea, it would also require the ability to zoom in the collider edit window

Mockup.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  12. Lodeman

Lodeman

Hi CreativeSpore,

I was wondering if you could show me how to get one tile's world position.
    What I need to accomplish is being able to loop over a tilemap's tiles, check if a bool parameter is set, and then spawn a certain prefab at the tile's world position.

I've been trying to use the tile's uv.position, but that doesn't seem to be the tile's expected local position on the tilemap. Could you shed some light on the approach I best take?

Thanks!

Code (csharp):
    2.   void Start()
    3.   {
    4.   CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tilemap[] tilemaps = GetComponentsInChildren<CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tilemap>();
    5.   foreach (CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tilemap tilemap in tilemaps)
    6.   {
    8.   List<CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tile> tiles = tilemap.Tileset.Tiles;
    9.   foreach (CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tile tile in tiles)
    10.   {
    11.   if(tile.paramContainer.GetBoolParam("CanBeWalkedOn", false))
    12.   {  
    13. /* !Here I need to figure out tile's world position (or local position)! */
    14.   GameObject newWalkableTile = new GameObject();
    16.   newWalkableTile.transform.parent = tilemap.transform.root.gameObject.transform;
    18.   newWalkableTile.transform.rotation = tilemap.transform.rotation;
    19.   newWalkableTile.transform.localPosition = tilemap.transform.localPosition;
    20.   newWalkableTile.transform.localPosition += new Vector3(tile.uv.position.x, tile.uv.position.y, 0.0f);
    22.   newWalkableTile.AddComponent<Tile>();
    23.   }
    24.   }
    25.   }
    26.   }

13. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It is very fast yes :) I was generating a 500x500 world and that perlin noise sure does like to take its time.

14. IceTrooper

IceTrooper

Is it possible to add multiselection by CTRL+MouseClick on TilePalette (like in Microsoft Windows folders structure where you can use Ctrl or Shift to select multiple folders)? Now you can select only one tile or tiles in rectangle. It will be useful to select few tiles scattered on TileSet where you can't use rectangle selection.

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for the feedback and the detailed description with the mockup.
    I've been thinking, maybe I can add handles also in the scene view for the selected tilemap to allow changing them directly in the scene. I will make some tests to see if this is possible. I will keep you inform.

16. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

If you want to create very big procedural world you can use this test I did to create the world in real time but not all at once.
    Only a portion surrounding an object like the camera, and only updating the needed parts when moving around.
    It quite fast for a big area. You have to move the camera yourself in the Scene while playing to see it working.

Attached Files:

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I wanted to add this long time ago but for some reason it wasn't working properly.
    I will try to add it again to see if this time I manage to make it work.

18. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Nice and simple, the thing is I want the game to offer zoom in and out and the zoom out is around 500x500, I could cap it at 200x200 but the streaming can't keep up.

19. Lodeman

Lodeman

Hi, just wanted to say I was able to loop over all tiles, get their world positions, and check on a certain parameter.
    If someone else needs a nice simple example on how to do this, see this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             for(int i = tilemap.MinGridX; i <= tilemap.MaxGridX; i++)
    2.             {
    3.                 for(int j = tilemap.MinGridY; j < tilemap.MaxGridY; j++)
    4.                 {
    5.                     CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.Tile tile = tilemap.GetTile(i, j);
    7.                     Vector2 tileWorldPos = tilemap.transform.TransformPoint(i * tilemap.CellSize.x, j * tilemap.CellSize.y, 0.0f);
    8.                     Logger.logMessage("TileWorldPos: ", tileWorldPos);
    10.                     if (tile != null)
    11.                     {                      
    12.                         if (tile.paramContainer.GetBoolParam("CanBeWalkedOn", false))
    13.                         {
    14.                             GameObject newWalkableTile = new GameObject();
    16.                             newWalkableTile.transform.parent = tilemap.transform.root.gameObject.transform;
    18.                             newWalkableTile.transform.rotation = tilemap.transform.rotation;
    19.                             newWalkableTile.transform.position = tileWorldPos;
    21.                             newWalkableTile.AddComponent<Tile>();                          
    22.                         }
    23.                     }
    24.                 }
    25.             }
    Just wanted to say I really like this package, bought it yesterday during the last hour of the sale :-D
    It's really improving my workflow and joy when designing new 2D Spaceships. Cheers!

20. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

ok I bought it.
    it looks like it has palettes and animations however..
    I was wondering if it has the ability to do different palettes per drawn tile?
    or the ability to use multiple animations like the default unity animator can?

basically I want to maybe a player entity out of my tiles and be able to switch palettes, animations, and states

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I've just read your previous message, I missed it.
    The tile uv is the coordinate for the atlas texture not the position in the world.
    To get the center position of a tile in a tilemap you can use TilemapUtils.GetGridWorldPos.
    This will give you the center world position of a tilemap:
    ex: Vector3 tileWorldPos = TilemapUtils.GetGridWorldPos(tilemap, 4, 8); // will give you the center position of the tile located at grid position (4, 8)

Also, to spawn a prefab associated to a tile, you can use the Prefab section of tile properties (you can open this window by right clicking over a tile of the tile palette). In this section you can attach a prefab so when the tile is painted, the prefab is instantiated, you you don't need to use the parameter for that and it's more simple.

Another thing, if you want to create a prefab of a tile with the same look of that tile, you can attache the script TileObjectBehaviour. This script will add a Sprite component to the object and when it's instantiated will set the image of the tile that instantiated it.

Lodeman likes this.
  22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the palettes or I didn't understood you. But with palettes I mean the tile palette and there only one with all tiles available, and another one for brushes. What you can do is changing the tileset texture for another if you have different versions of the same tileset, like summer and winter.
    I don't know what you mean with multiple animations. If you mean changing the animation of a tile, an animation is made using a brush and you set a list of tiles in the tileset to be used as frames and you set the FPS of the animation.
    If you want multiple animations you can create different brushes or even a custom brush to play a different animation depending of certain circumstances like if the player is close.
    The tiles are not individual gameobject, they are rendered in a mesh, but if you want a tile to become a gameObject, you can use a prefab with a TileObjectBehaviour attached and attach the prefab to the tile using the Tile Properties Window in the Prefab section.

23. Shadowblitz16

Shadowblitz16

1) I meant like color palettes like old school games did
    2) I don't understand can you upload a video tutorial on how to use animation tile brushes in animation controllers?

Shodan0101 likes this.
  24. Lodeman

Lodeman

Thanks for the tips, very useful. Will definitely make use of them when I start generating plantets!

25. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

In that case I'm afraid there is not color palettes. As far as I know you can use a shader for that and change the tilemap material for one with this shader.
    You cannot use animation controllers in a tile, but you can create a prefab using a tile and use animation controllers in the prefab. Or alternatively use an AnimBrush.

26. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

I'm having an issue right now and I'm starting to go mad because I can't figure it out. First, I LOVE SuperTilemap Editor so far. It seems amazing and will make my life 10 times easier. I'm working on a game currently with enemy AI and decided to A* pathfinder. The issue is that the grid won't detect the 2d colliders from tilemaker. The colliders are there and it will detect other colliders but not ones on the tilemap

27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

How is the A* pathfinder working exactly?
    To generate the tile colliders in the tilemap you need to go to the Collider section of a selected tilemap and set 2D or 3D.
    In both cases, the colliders are created perpendicular to the tilemap, they are like walls, so the collider is not over the tile surface. The only exception is if you use the 2D colliders and set the Collider 2D Type to Polygon Collider then you can check for collisions inside the area, but this kind of colliders are tricky. If you have a lake and inside the lake you have an isle, the isle will be inside another polygon collider made around the lake borders and will trigger a collision inside.
    Another way of using A* pathfinder is checking is a tile in a grid position of a tilemap has colliders:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tile tile = m_tilemapWalls.GetTile(gx, gy);
    2. bool isBlockedTile = tile != null && tile.collData.type != eTileCollider.None;
    or
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tile tile = m_tilemapWalls.GetTile(player.transform.position);
    2. bool isBlockedTile = tile != null && tile.collData.type != eTileCollider.None;

28. Supergeek

Supergeek

BTW bought it the other day when it was on sale. Haven't had a chance to play with it though, been too busy!

Just got a notification for 1.3.9 release. What's in the update?

29. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not quite sure what you mean tho. In the first picture i poseted is a test game i was trying to experiment with. The orange and black walls are what I'm trying to get it to detect. I think my colliders are correct and A* detects the man who isn't a part of the tilemap. I included some pics so you kinda know what I'm talking about. I'm kinda new to both of these programs (A* and Super Tilemap Editor).

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      455.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      168.3 KB
      Views:
  30. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

There is a text file called "changelog" in the SuperTilemapEditor which is in the CreativeSpore folder when you download the asset.

--- v1.3.9 ---
    - Added Source HTML Documentation
    - Added GetMouseGridX, GetMouseGridY, GetGridX & GetGridY to helper class TilemapUtils
    - Updated Manual FAQ and added new section Advanced Topics
    - Fixed updating instantiated prefabs attached to a tile with tile flip and rotation
    - Fixed issues scrolling the tile palette
    - Fixed UVs for animated tiles

31. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It looks like everything is fine. I don't know how your A* script works so I cannot help you more than giving some tips about how the colliders work.
    The script component of the colliders in located in hidden children objects of the tilemap called tilemapChunks.
    To make them visible you can select the tilemap and move to to Map section -> Advanced Options -> Show Tile Chunks.
    This will allow you to check the colliders and modify them to see if you find the issue.
    If you could send me a test project I could check my self.
    By the way, how is the A* script throwing the rays to detect walls?

32. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

I tried what you said and didn't see much. I tried something and it seemed to kinda work for the most part but I'll have to test it more. When I have full colliders on the walls and in the tilemap, changing the collider type for 2d to polygon seems to work. I will test this some some more to see if there would any issues doing it that way. Also for setting up A*, I was using this tutorial:

just so you know what kind of settings I'm using. I could be setting it up wrong and not a problem with Super Tilemap Maker.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  33. solo_games_inc

solo_games_inc

How to add any physics material to tilemap? I'm using EdgeCollider2D. Thank you.

Attached Files:

34. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

For what I've seen in the video, the path finder use a box in the middle of the cell to check for collisions (something like Physics2D.BoxCast). The problem with this is, if you have a tile with full colliders, the inside of the tile is free of collisions unless it's a polygon collider.
    For Edge Collider or Mesh collider, only the edges of the tile will collide. That is why I was asking about the A* algorithm to check if a tile is passable.
    To make it work, the A* should use raycasting from the center of a tile to the center of another tile to check for colliders because the inside of a tile will be free is the colliders are surrounding it.
    You can also modify the A* code to also check if the tile in a grid position contains a tile with any colliders as in the previous post.

35. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can add physics material by un-hiding the tilemap chunks selecting a tilemap->Map->AdvancedOptions->Show Tile Chunks.
    This way you can modify the generated colliders for each chunk of tiles.
    Anyway I will think how to expose the collider attributes in the collider section of a tilemap to make it easy to modify.

36. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

Alright, I'll give that stuff a shot. I have one more question about I think a bug I'm running into. When Capture.PNG I leave my scene and come back. One of my tilemaps disappears. I refresh the map then it's back. Then if I like zoom in, part of it disappears again. You can see the colliders where walls are supposed to be showing up.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: I think I figure it out, it's because I had two tilemaps on the same sorting layer

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  37. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Cool! I going to add this to the F.A.Q section of the manual ;)

38. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

Back again with another question :D I'm not really sure why these lines are appearing between the tiles. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• 10.PNG
      10.PNG
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 11.PNG
      11.PNG
      File size:
      71.5 KB
      Views:
  39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

That question is in the F.A.Q section already, in the first place :D
    I see weird lines around the tiles when I am painting a tilemap?
    Check if the atlas texture used by the tileset have the filter mode different than None in the texture import settings.

40. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

I'm an idiot. I skipped over the first few in the F.A.Q!! I didn't entirely work until I also went into the project setting-> Quality-> and turned Anti Aliasing to OFF. Thanks for all the help!!

41. Khena_B

Khena_B

Any news with the collision, have you had the time to do some testing?

42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I'm still working on it but soon I will have some news.

43. ArtShapedBox

ArtShapedBox

Hello, and thanks for the great asset! I think I'd be content to just design levels in it all day... even if I never complete an actual game haha : D

I do have a question, though. Is it possible to place a tile exactly rather than snapped to the grid?

I'm guessing the answer is no currently, but thought I'd ask anyway! I think it would be great if there was a special type of layer/tilemap that allowed that, with the tiles optionally sorted by the order in which they are place, or by their x or y value. Perhaps even the option of rotating & scale the tiles as well?

Being able to add tiles exactly is great for transparent-background decoration tiles in particular, as it really breaks up the "tile" look if done well... giving a bit of an organic look to an otherwise blocky world! I imagine it is possible to do manually, very slowly, inserting gameobjects "by hand"... but having it tied in with all the great features of STE would take things to a whole other level : )

Anyway, that's my question/feature request! I think it would a really nice option to have, and would cover some ground that assets like SpriteTile seem to already have in. Even if it's something that isn't currently possible, and you have no plans on adding... any thoughts or advice on how best to do it would be much appreicated as well ! :D

44. rubeng

rubeng

Hi, I just bought this asset and I think it is really well done, and I am really liking the level and quality of support that I am seeing in this thread.

We started by using tiled + Tiled2Unity but wanted to have an integrated editor because we want to be able to add some extra unity stuff to the levels.

I tried to use the carpet brush but I am seeing some differences between Super Tilemap Editor and Tiled terrains.

In our game we have DarkGrass, DirtGrass, and LightGrass

so there are transitions from

LightGrass to DarkGrass
    LightGrass to DirtGrass

DarkGrass and DirtGrass never touch directly

First of all from what I understand of the brushes in STE they are mainly about one brush group, so I can create a brush of LightGrass tiles but can't show what they transition to.
    Meanwhile on Tiled, what you do is for each type of terrain you mark on each tile which part is matching that terrain type, so there are clear and defined transitions between different terrains.

TiledTerrainLightGrass.png TiledTerrainDirtGrass.png TiledTerrainDarkGrass.png

There are two more differences in the tiled solution, compared to the carpetbrush, in tiled if you check to the right of what would map as interior corners in STE there are diagonal transitions defined.

Also since for each transition and layout we can add multiple instances its really easy to add variations while on STE you would need to define a linked randombrush for each tile defined in the carpetbrush.

Is mapping this solution already possible? am I missing something?
    If it is not possible, what would be the easiest way to add this feature to STE?

Thanks for any information.

Rubén Garat
    Ironhide Game Studio

45. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    The problem to place tiles in any place is the tiles should be managed independently. So all the optimization of using a tilemap would be lost.
    The tiles are placed in a grid using a mesh, like a Plane. When painting, or copying tiles, I know what tile the mouse is over because I now all tiles are in the right position. But if I allow changing this position I would need to check for collision with each of them, so they should be independent like sprites.
    But if you want to make this possible, the best approach is using the component TileObjBehaviour.
    This will allow to create a gameObject of a tile and even change the offset position in pixels or units.
    Check how it works in the manual, section 6.3 TileObjectBehaviour and OnTilePrefabCreation event
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/SuperTilemapEditor Manual.pdf

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

46. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    The closest approach in STE would be, create a carpet brush for each type of terrain except the base terrain LightGrass.
    For example, if you want a transition between LightGrass and (DrakGrass or DirstGrass), you could fill the tilemap with the full light grass tile and only create a carpet brush for DarkGrass and DirtGrass to paint the areas were you want dark or dirt grass.
    You could even mix Dark and Dirst grass if you create a brush group called Grass for example and set the autotiling mode of both brushes to Self & Group and set the group to Grass.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  47. years1hundred

years1hundred

Hi! I have a really dumb question to ask, but I just got burned by another sprite tile editor, and so I just wanted to be cautious this time around.

As it is, I saw your overview video - and your program looks amazing! However, I'm curious (and please keep in mind that I'm still very new to Unity and programming in general) - I know you can set up custom colliders (in your video, this was shown by making colliders around the water), but are there automatically colliders on each tile so that a top-down shooter character could walk on them just fine?

Thank you very much for your time!

48. thomas-waldick

thomas-waldick

There is a simple box collider that you can apply to sprites for a basic border collider. Though for a top down shooter, you probably wouldn't want a collider for him to walk on unless its 3d or something.

49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I am not sure what you mean but, if you are asking if you can walk over the collider, you can set the depth of a 3D collider or the size in the local Z axis:
    upload_2016-9-14_16-52-31.png

50. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I've been working on it and now it's almost finished. Now you can edit the tile colliders directly in the scene view.
    sceneColliderEdition.gif

Khena_B and Supergeek like this.