Search Unity

[RELEASED] Super Tilemap Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Klausini

Klausini

I am still relatively new to C#. I am trying to implement your pathfinding to a STETilemap. However, colliders are ignored. I have set the cell size to 3.2, 3.2 in the map and in the PathfindingBehavior script. Stupid me, but I cannot spot the difference to the RoguelikeDemo. Is there a checklist I can go through?

- using edge colliders: check
    - clicked "update collider mesh" and saved the scene: check
    - played with "reverse normals": check

Also a second question came up: I am trying to work with Timescale. Speeding things up breaks asynchronous pathfinding. Synchronous pathfinding only goes straight from start to finish. I am not skillful enough to understand why ComputeSync does not provide a full list of nodes. What would be the general concept of calculating a full path with a high timescale?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

It's nice using the brushes but one thing I'm missing is "inner corners". It would be nice if this part was automated.

Here is what I mean. Say I have a brush like this:

Ok looks good, so now I'll use it:

Okay, the platform looks pretty good. Except those corners don't look very good. So I'll manually put the corner tile in:

Okay that looks better. But the problem is, I wish this could be done automatically. It's quite a pain going through the entire level placing in each inner corner tile manually. Do you know if it's possible to resolve this?

3. Raseru

Raseru

Have you tried using a carpet brush? It can do those corners. Although maybe you might get a different look, not sure without testing. You can also create new brushes, maybe taking from your current brush and the carpet one if the carpet doesn't work.

CreativeSpore likes this.
  4. Raseru

Raseru

When you draw with a brush that has colliders, but then want to draw something like a door or cave entrance, you can't draw on the same tilemap as the brush itself because it treats it separately from the brush and abruptly ends there. You can draw on a separate tilemap but then the collider still exists not allowing you to enter there. What exactly are you supposed to do here? Somehow remove the collider from that specific location? Not sure how unless I just had a blank tile for collision and manually drew on a separate layer.
    cliff_cave.PNG

5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Well, for the AnimBrush, I have made some modifications to allow adding an Animation Delay. You can see the new parameter in the Brush Inspector. This delay will be added to each tile incrementally.

Attached Files:

SiliconAvatar likes this.
  6. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

You don't really need to change the CellSize because it will be automatically set with the first tilemap of a tilemap group found in the scene. Otherwise be sure the size if the same.
    Also, check if the tilemap group or the tilemap inside are located at position (0, 0, 0).
    This way it should work without any other setup,

I am working in some improvements for the path finding for the next update. I have fixed some bugs, like the need to have the tilemap in the position (0, 0, 0).
    Maybe this update will make it work better.
    Please, remove the folder MapPathFinding in "\Assets\CreativeSpore\SuperTilemapEditor\Extra\Tileset - Samples\Kenneys - Rogue Like" before apply the patch. The folder has been moved and it will cause a compilation error for duplicated classes.

Anyway, if you don't manage to make it work, you can send me a test project or package so I can test myself what is going on.

About the second question. There was another bug related with the time fixed in the attached package, so that should be fixed after applying the patch.

And ComputeSync doesn't return a list of nodes because it is supposed to update the list of nodes m_pathNodes. Maybe the name should be UpdatePathSync instead.
    If you want to get a list of nodes from position A to position B, use this instead:
    LinkedList<IPathNode> pathNodes = PathFinding.GetRouteFromTo(startPos, endPos);

Attached Files:

7. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

As Raseru said, you can use the carpet brush for that.
    If you have problems with the tile collder, you can also uncomment this line to allow subtile colliders:

Attached Files:

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

In this case, you need to draw the cave tile in the same tilemap as the cliff and to make the cliff autotile with the cave tile, you need to use the tilemap groups.
    For example, in this example I use the Group Walls for the Brush and the broken wall tile:
    upload_2018-7-23_16-10-7.png

9. Raseru

Raseru

Thanks a lot for being awesome :)

For the animation delay, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting because my original idea was to have an animation only trigger maybe every 30 seconds or so (like a fish appearing and splashing).

That said, the change you did instead is still really awesome! Now all the animations are staggered, very cool, I will use this a lot with water/foliage/etc. Another neat affect I see is you can actually create staggered waves in water as it moves linearly when next to each other.

I was confused on how to use it initially though. Whole numbers don't change how it works, so maybe for the next release, limiting the range with [Range(0f, 1f)] might make it a little more user friendly. Maybe even call it Anim Stagger, but not necessary.

Also thanks for the brush group help!

10. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can add the delay for the fish if you add some empty frames (transparent) before the fish appearance.
    The delay is in seconds and you have to take into account the length of the animation. For example, if you have 4 frames at FPS=4, it means, the duration is 1 second, so if you add an integer delay like 4, 6, 9, at the end, all the tiles will loop at the same moment.

For example, if you want to delay the next tile a frame, you will need to add a 1/4 delay or 1/FPS delay.

A tip for Unity, you can write math operations in a field and it will calculate the result, so you can write 1/4 and it will become 0.25.

11. Klausini

Klausini

Thank you very much!! Your product has been rated.
    Fixing the tilemap position did the trick. I still have issues with the timescale, but as the node positions do not change I guess I have a bug elsewhere. I need more time for this.

I do have some follow up questions though :)
    - Could you please provide a short example of how to calculate "m_costFactor" using tile parameters in the mapPathFinding.cs? Your provided new version is different to your solution provide earlier in this forum.

- is there an easy way to add distance to tile colliders for the pathfinding? How can I ensure my units do not walk right on the edge of the collider?

- I just saw you also offer the RPG Map Editor on the store. Is is possible to upgrade from the STE to this? Is the easy isometric sorting included in the RPG Map Editor?

Again, thank you very much! This is an awesome tool!

12. Raseru

Raseru

Ah I see, thanks!

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Here you have an example of m_costFactor.
    upload_2018-7-29_19-54-0.png
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //example: get the cost factor from a float parameter called CostFactor from the tilemap with name "Ground" using default value 1f.
    2. Tile tile =tilemapGroup["Ground"].GetTile(GridX, GridY);
    3. m_costFactor = tile != null? tile.paramContainer.GetFloatParam("CostFactor", 1f) : 1f;
    You cannot add distance to tile colliders, you need to setup your colliders to be sure that doesn't happen. If you want to post an specific use case I could give you some advice as well.

And there is no upgrade from STE to RPG Map Editor, they are different products and the tilemap editior in RPG Map Editior works different to STE by the way.

14. Khena_B

Khena_B

I'm trying to detect what type of ground I'm standing on to play different footstep sounds, is tile parameters the suggested way to do this, if so how do I access the tile parameter using a raycast

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You don't need raycasting, but if you do, you can use the raycast origin position or just the player transform position.
    Then, to get the tile parameter you can use this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tile tile = tilemap.GetTile(player.transform.position);
    2. if(tile != null)
    3. {
    4.    tile.paramContainer.GetFloatParam("FloorPitch", 1f);
    5. }

16. Khena_B

Khena_B

When you say I don't need raycasting, how would you get a reference to the tilemap below the character, as for GetTile I'm assuming it gets the tile of that tilemap at the specified world position?

Also a suggestion, would it be possible to allow multi tile editing for the parameters? Or at least pasting a tile parameter to another tile, or multiple tiles at once,

thanks!

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

In that case you can use raycasting. I guess you were checking the same tilemap all the time.
    Then you can use the ray.origin instead of player.trasnform.position.
    By the way, GetTile expect a local position, so if you change the tilemap position you should add wrap the position like this:
    tilemap.transform.InverseTransformPoint(player.transform.position)

About the tile parameters, I have added an option to merge the parameters found in the tile selection. Remember you can also select tiles from the tilemap in the scene, not just the tile palette.

Attached Files:

Khena_B likes this.
  18. Khena_B

Khena_B

Thanks that worked perfectly

I've been thinking about another way to detect which type of ground I'm standing on, I have a script which lets you pick an enum to select the surface type, I've made a prefab with this script as a component and added the prefab to a tile with "Show tile with prefab" checked.

However I'm not sure how to access that prefab, the hit object below my character is called -2_0 and it doesn't see a script attached, how to I access the prefab of a tile?

Thanks

19. Khena_B

Khena_B

I see what the problem is, even if the tile is spawning a prefab, the collider that my raycast is hitting is the tilemap's edge collider, I'm guessing the prefab would need it's own collider and that's getting too complicated for what I'm trying to achieve

I'm trying to find a simple way to know what type of ground the player is on, in a way that would work seamlessly with STE's Tilemaps and regular gameobjects in Unity, using tags is another option I had in mind but STE doesn't have a per-tile tag, whenever I hit a ground collider below I could check the tag and use that to determine what sound to play, it would be really useful if STE allowed to get a tile's tag in the same manner without doing more complicated steps

20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Well, for your case you could do this:
    • Use raycasting to get the Tilemap (optionally you could use a reference to the Ground tilemap)
      • Option 1: using parameters you can use a parameter like FloorType or similar
      • Option 2: get the tile id with Tileset.GetTileIdFromTileData(tilemap.GetTileData(transform.position)) and depending of the id, play a different sound (but I prefer the first option)
      • Option 3: Use a prefab could be also an option. To access the prefab you can use tilemap.GetTile(transform.position).prefab (check if tile is not null, I made it simple here).
      • Option 4: You can use different tilemap for each kind of floor
      • Option 5: You have something similar to a per tile tag. You have create a group for tiles (mostly used for autotiling, but possible to use it for matters)
    upload_2018-8-1_12-5-48.png

Khena_B likes this.
  21. Khena_B

Khena_B

Thanks, will give those suggestions a try and see what works best

22. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

@CreativeSpore Hello, I noticed that it's not possible to rotate or flip Random Brush, is it possible to add this feature?

23. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    By design, it is not possible. In a brush, you can set the flags for the tile in case you want different combinations. But even if you could change the flags of a tile painted by a brush in the tilemap, when you refresh the tile, the flags would be lost.

24. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

There is new version of Super Tilemap Editor v1.5.0 available!
    Also it would be on sale at 30% off from 35$ to 24.5$ until August 17th!

There has been some improvements in the pathfinding behavious, including support for raycasting to block areas with colliders and not just tile with colliders.
    Also, you can move to a blocked tile if there is an adjacent passable tile.
    And you can set a maximum path distance as well.

Changelog v1.5.0:
    • ADDED ClearTiles button near ClearMap, to clear the tiles but keep the map bounds.
    • ADDED Merger Tile Parameters option in Tile Properties Window when multiple tiles are selected.
    • ADDED MaxDistance to pathfinding to limit the path to a certain distance
    • ADDED AnimDelay parameter to AnimBrush to add a delay in the animation for each rendered tile
    • ADDED PassableDetectionMode to MapPathFinding with support for raycasting 2D and 3D to detect if the path to a tile is not blocked by a collider
    • CHANGED the way AllowBlockedDestination is managed
    • ADDED parameter "cost factor" to MapTileNode for future use.
    • MOVED MapPathFinding folder inside Scripts Folder (NOTE: you need to manually remove the previous folder after updating the tool "\CreativeSpore\SuperTilemapEditor\Extra\Tileset - Samples\Kenneys - Rogue Like\MapPathFinding")
    • FIXED pathfinding diagonal move when it's in between tiles passable but with blocking colliders
    • FIXED TilemapUtils.GetMouseGridX/Y when using a camera in perspective mode.
    • FIXED some TileDataAttribute exceptions
    • FIXED when selecting a tilemap, the current editor tool is disabled. Now, the previous tool is enabled again after unselecting the Tilemap
    • FIXED MapPathFinding to take into account tilemap with a position different than (0, 0)
    • FIXED out of bound exception when using the Atlas Editor with a Tileset exported from Tiled
    • FIXED Refresh and Clear Map button now affect to all selected tilemaps
    • FIXED tile selection with Ctrl now selects the first non empty tile found in a Tilemap Group from top to bottom
    • FIXED out of bounds exception when a tileView is selected the number of tiles is less than tileViewWidth * tileViewHeight
    • FIXED division by zero exception when slicing a tileset and the height of the texture is less than the tile height, so no tiles are sliced. Now an error message will inform about the problem.
    • FIXED crash when using Deep Profiling in Unity 2017.3.1f1
    • FIXED bug in PathFinding when computing more than a path during the same Update

SiliconAvatar likes this.
  25. cuproPanda

cuproPanda

I'm brand new to 1.5.0, so I'm still in the process of getting acquainted with the code. I tried searching in this forum, but found no relevant answers, so I apologize if this question has been asked before, but how do I enable frustrum culling for the STETilemap? I have tried enabling AutoTrim and calling UpdateMesh, which sounded like it would do what I needed, but all visited areas remain rendered even when no longer visible. It doesn't appear as though the tilemaps or chunks contain any way to cull them.

Below is my current map after moving around a little. Ideally I'd like to render the surrounding 3x3 chunks (I'll shrink them down a little later, they still have the default size). I had a method before where I would find the tiles needing to be culled each frame, so if I have to manually cull tiles/chunks that is fine.

Pooling is another concern I have, but that depends on how performant the tilemap is - so far it looks like I may not need to do that. Overall I'm very happy with the code and my purchase!

EDIT: I solved it by calling Erase for each tile no longer within viewing range. Like I said, I'm still getting acquainted with the code :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  26. Klausini

Klausini

Thank you for the new version! However, I still have issues with the pathfinding when timescale is higher than 1. If I set Time.timeScale = 8f movement becomes very jittery in asynchronous mode.
    Unfortunately, synchronous mode seems to have a bug that the i.e. the red dot in the RoguelikeDemo moves to some node in the middle of the path, then goes backwards and then to the final target node.

It feels like I spent ages on trying to fix this, but I have to admit the coroutines in combination with timeScale are still black vodoo magic to me.
    Would it be possible that you can provide a pathfinding routine without a coroutine?
    Many, many thanks!

27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I think you were expecting the chunks to disappear in the Scene View they were outside the camera view?
    If that is right, you don't have to worry about culling. It is already done when the chunks are outside of the camera frustum, but in the Scene View they are not, the Scene View camera is also rendering the chunks when they are inside its frustum.

If you want to generate the tilemap in real time, there is a demo in the forum that I have attached here that could help you to do what you need.

Attached Files:

28. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I will check it with different timeScale. I didn't test it with a scale different than 1f, so maybe there is some bugs.
    You can also use the pathfining without a coroutine. There are two methods to calculate a path, one using a coroutin (Asynchronous), and other without a coroutine (Synchronous.)
    upload_2018-8-16_16-46-20.png
    upload_2018-8-16_16-47-34.png

I have fixed a bug with Synchronous mode in the attached package making it to the last position directly.

I have tested it with Time.scale = 8f and Time.scale = 0.2f and it worked fine in both modes.
    How are you calculating the route?

Attached Files:

29. qazokmijn01

qazokmijn01

upload_2018-8-17_15-11-23.png

i have problem with scale size game window Vertical line will visible
    somebody help me thank !
    Sorry my english not good.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

You can find some help removing the seams in the F.A.Q section of the manual.
    upload_2018-8-18_10-9-9.png
    Also, you can easily remove the gaps adding value like 0.2 in the Inner Padding parameter.
    upload_2018-8-18_10-18-59.png

31. qazokmijn01

qazokmijn01

Oh thank you very much
    Have a good day ^^

32. jebediahh

jebediahh

Hi.. I have an animation where each frame is a large image - each image is 2048x2048... It looks like in order to create an animation you need to use the animbrush and each image in the animation needs to be in one tileset. This is not doable in this case since the tileset would have to contain like 50 2048x2048 images which would be enormous. Is there a way to create an animation by specifying the image files, or just in general.. can you see a way for me to create this animation through STME ?

33. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

In that case, you could create the animation using the Unity Animator.
    Select all the sprites and drag them to the scene to create it in a single step.
    If you want to paint the animation with STME, you can attach the prefab with the animation to any tile in the tileset.

34. ralphyua

ralphyua

I keep getting this error that says " Profile Sampler Tilemap.Update() exists but has a different group " when I use the profiler. The error keeps printing in the console. Anybody else getting this error? The game keeps running and doesn't crash, but it would be nice to know what this error is. If so, does this error have to do with STME or is this a Unity specific error? Hope somebody can shed some light on this because I did a Google search and found nothing.

35. qazokmijn01

qazokmijn01

hello how to mask tilemap ?

36. Raseru

Raseru

For the STE Tilemap, there's a Collider 3D option which is neat, but the colliders are limited to just the edges. Is there anyway I could enclose these colliders so I could use the surface to walk on? I'm planning on having different levels of height for tilemaps in a top-down

If I modify the collider for each tile to have gaps I can kinda create a surface, but that isn't really sustainable of course.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  37. mrm83

mrm83

Any ideas why TilemapChunk.OnWillRenderObject() is generating 160b of GC every frame? Every chunk displayed seems to be adding 40b per frame.
    I don't recall this happening before..

38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

What version of STME and Unity are you using? The Tilemap class was changed to STETilemap long ago. Are you using the Profiler in the code and named it Tilemap.Update?

39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Use a prefab with the component TileObjectBehaviour attached to the tiles you want to be affected by a mask. That way the tiles will be placed using a SpriteRenderer component.

40. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    It was designed to create the walls in 3D and there is no way to make it create the floor colliders.
    I don't know how to do it unless you use a prefab attached to the tile with the floor collider.

41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    I have fixed the issue in the attached package.

Attached Files:

42. mrm83

mrm83

Its gone! thanks.

43. NechyporukEvgen

NechyporukEvgen

Hello, a bug in pathfinding in the demo "RoguelikeDemo". It upset me (
    pathfinding_fail.jpeg

44. guybro_thunderboots

guybro_thunderboots

Is it possible to name individual tiles in a Tileset?

In order to be able to "paint" prefabs with STE, I made a new Tileset out of a 800x800 fuschia texture, then used the Tile Properties window to set a prefab. Works great!

However, sometimes I look at the Tileset, and while I can recognize most of the prefabs visually, some of them have similar thumbnails and I'm not sure what will be painted. It'd be great if I could name these tiles something recognizable on mouse over.

45. ralphyua

ralphyua

I am using Unity version 2017.2.0f3 and using STME v1.4.3.4

I will try updating STME to see if that fixes the problem. I searched for "Tilemap.Update" in the files and didn't come up with anything. Not sure where this Tilemap.Update() function actually exists.

46. ralphyua

ralphyua

So I updated STME. I deleted the project library so that Unity would rebuild the cache files. I am now getting this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.TilemapChunk.OnWillRenderObject () (at Assets/_AssetPackages/CreativeSpore/SuperTilemapEditor/Scripts/Tilemap/TilemapChunk.cs:132)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

When I click on that error, it brings me to this line of code:

static Dictionary<Material, Material> s_dicMaterialCopyWithPixelSnap = new Dictionary<Material, Material>();
    void OnWillRenderObject()
    {
    if (!ParentTilemap.Tileset) //This line specifically is what is causing the error!
    return;

Really not sure how to fix this problem. Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

47. ralphyua

ralphyua

Actually this is the error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.TilemapChunk.OnWillRenderObject () (at Assets/_AssetPackages/CreativeSpore/SuperTilemapEditor/Scripts/Tilemap/TilemapChunk.cs:132)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I hate these automatic emoji things.

Okay, did a search on TilemapChunk.OnWillRenderObject and found this answer in this thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-super-tilemap-editor.387330/page-18#post-3236700

After renaming that file, everything works fine now. The update got rid of that Profile Sampler warning I was getting as well. So for anyone updating from an older version, make sure you rename the Tilemap.cs file to STETilemap.cs and make sure the class name is STETilemap.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for telling about this bug. I have fixed it in the attached package.

Attached Files:

49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I am afraid, it is not possible to name tiles. You could paint on the tileset texture and change the prefab properties to display the tileset tile instead for the preview.

50. CaptCollins

CaptCollins

Without reading through this entire forum, are there any general dos and donts for using this asset? Since I got it a year ago, ive constantly had problems with ugly lines between tiles and similar issues. If pixel snap fixes 1 issue another pops up in its place. The tutorials werent much help. Does decreasing pixels per unit mess with something? It's not a padding or offset issue.

To clarify, pixel snap fixes tearing but usually messes with my tiles making them carry on to other tiles, even though the padding and offsets look correct.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018