Search Unity

[RELEASED] Super Tilemap Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Feb 21, 2016.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I just found a bug when changing a tileset atlas texture for a texture imported as Sprite Multiple with less than two sprites. I'm not sure if it was related, because you was not changing the texture, but just in case.

2. SeppF

SeppF

Can I combine a RoadBrush and a CarpetBrush to get all the Tiles in one Brush?

3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version 1.4.3 available!

Changelog:
    • Added Autotiling section in Tile Property Window to change the tile autotiling group
    • Added Parallax Factor to tilemaps in Render section (Pixel Platform Demo has been updated to use this feature)
    parallax.gif
    • Added ChangeSpriteOnly attribute to TileObjectBehaviour to only change the sprite but not the layer and sorting layer
    • Added index accessor to ParameterContainer
    • Added an option in Tile Prefab section to display the prefab preview when there is a prefab attached.
    • Atlas Editor now saves an extra pixel when creating the final texture
    • Improved performance when calling UpdateMesh in a tilemap with 2D colliders
    • Removed some GC Allocations in Tilemap and TilemapChunk
    • Disabled merged subtile colliders by default. Uncomment the define ENABLE_MERGED_SUBTILE_COLLIDERS to enable it.
    • Default Inner Padding for new tilemaps is now 0 instead of 0.1 (use AtlasEditorWindow to extrude tiles to fix line artifacts)
    • Fixed bug when changing the atlas texture of a tileset for a texture set in multiple sprite mode with less than 2 sprites
    • Fixed m_markSceneDirtyOnNextUpdateMesh warning
    • Fixed Random Flags in RandomBrush ( Horizontal and Vertical Flip were swapped)
    • Fixed combine tile flags when a brush is using another brush to draw one of its tiles
    • Fixed some bugs related to collider 2D generation in tilemaps
    • Fixed issue when creating a tileset from a tmx file when the final atlas was bigger than 2048

5. tcz8

tcz8

I bought it anyways! Thanks!

CreativeSpore likes this.
  6. Khena_B

Khena_B

I have an issue, when using extrude the plugin modifies my texture, if i want to update my texture with changes i can't just replace it or the issue i posted about happens (probably because after extruding, the texture is no longer the same size as the original), is there a way to reverse the extrude without having weird problems or is this permanent, couldn't the extrude feature create a copy of the original texture and use that instead?

This is really important as i plan to make a really big world and i can't find myself having to redo everything mid-way because i edited my textures.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Khena_B

Khena_B

What seems to work sometime is first replacing my texture, it will look weird because of the offset and padding from the extrude on the previous texture, then i go back in the atlas editor and set the offset and padding to 0 then click apply, then i can redo the extrude on the new texture, at least i'm not getting any white lines after extruding. But there doesn't seem to be a way to revert to the non extruded texture without replacing it. Is this intended?

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    The Atlas Editor works modifying a texture to apply a different padding or extruding.
    Padding and extrude are almos similar in the way they create a separation between tiles, but extrude also extend the color of the tile a number of pixels.

To apply the padding and extrusion properly, the actual texture setup needs to be provided in the slice settings section:
    upload_2017-2-3_11-26-42.png

Here you need to specify the size of a tile, the offset (separation from the top left corner) and the padding (separation between tiles). Once you set that, you can change the padding and the extrusion here:
    upload_2017-2-3_11-28-7.png

To help you to fill the Slice Settings, you can select a tileset in the Atlas Texture section:
    upload_2017-2-3_11-29-3.png
    This will fill the Atlas Texture and the Slice Settings using the tileset setup.
    But you can also just set an Atlas texture without the tileset and work with that.

Now, about your question. You could use the Atlas Editor to select your original texture, apply the new settings with extrusion and overwrite the atlas texture using by the tileset.
    In the AtlasEditorWindow class you have a method used to create the final texture. It's not public but I have made it public and will be public in the future versions:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static Texture2D BuildAtlas(Texture2D atlasTexture, int tilePadding, int tileExtrude, Vector2 tileSize, Vector2 sliceOffset, Vector2 slicePadding)
    tilePadding and tileExtude are the options in New Settings section. tileSize, sliceOffset and slicePadding are the options in the Slice Settings section.
    You can create an editor menu option to take the original texture from an external directory, use this method to create a new texture and save that texture overwriting the previous texture used by the tileset. That would help you a lot in the process.

9. Khena_B

Khena_B

I'm using the (optional) tileset and it was sliced with 16x16 tiles and no offset or padding.

I think i figured it out, to revert back from the extrude (which changed my slice offset to 1 and padding to 2) i was setting the offset and padding from "Slice settings" in the atlas editor to 0 then clicking apply, it messed up everything, instead i only leave the "New settings" values to 0 then click apply, it reverts to the original texture properly, this was a bit confusing but now i get it.

10. Khena_B

Khena_B

There's an issue with rotated tiles, when copied and flipped it doesn't look right.

11. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Hi,

I recently purchased this asset. I would just like to say that this is really well made. Well done and props to you! It's making 2D development in Unity a lot nicer.

I've got a few questions regarding the asset. I'll just start off with one though.

Are we able to "double click" and fill using the eraser tool? I would like to carve out large chunks of the map and hold shift+double click to delete large regions. One work around is to use a transparent tile, but this introduces unexpected behavior on brushes.

12. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Seems to be a bug with the brush tool. When I flip (or rotate) the tiles in the brush, it doesn't get applied when I actually use it in the scene. See this image for an example.

Attached Files:

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

This bug was added with the last version. Even when everything is tested before a release, sometimes this happens :(
    I've been revising and testing it and it's now working properly. You need to apply the attached package to fix this issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  14. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You cannot double click using the eraser (I will add that to the TODO list), but you can select an empty tile with right click while painting and the double click over a region of tiles to erase it.

15. Khena_B

Khena_B

I wasn't sure if the reply was meant for Andrew or me since you quoted us both but i've tried the patch and i get the error:

"error CS0535: `CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.TilesetBrush' does not implement interface member `CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.IBrush.OnErase(CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor.TilemapChunk, int, int, uint)'"

"error CS1501: No overload for method `OnErase' takes `4' arguments"

I think the error comes from the TilemapChunk script where you call the OnErase function but only pass 4 parameters instead of 5, it's missing the brushID.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  16. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sorry for that. I had some changes in my version.
    This package should work fine.

Attached Files:

17. Khena_B

Khena_B

That solved the error, however was this fix for the issue i reported? I doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

18. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Thanks for the tip. It works perfectly.

19. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Thanks for this fix. It works nicely now. Also thank you for the fast turn around.

20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, it should fix your issue. Check the brush you are using. Double click on it in the brush palette. The fix I sent fix how the tile flags are merged when you are using in a brush, another brush to paint one of its tiles. You could need to redefine your previous brushes because probably they have changed after the fix.
    Before this patch, if you were using a tile with rot90 and you apply rot90 in the brush, the flag was removed and the tile was rotated 0º. Now it will rotate another 90º so it will rotate 180º.

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You are welcome ;)

22. Khena_B

Khena_B

I've never used the brush palette before, there must be a misunderstanding, i'm using the regular brush to paint tiles and copy/pasting some tiles from my world.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  23. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Now I see. I thought you were using the Carpet or Road brush. I will check that and let you know.

24. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have attached the patch.

Attached Files:

Khena_B likes this.
  25. Khena_B

Khena_B

It works perfectly, thank you so much!

26. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You are welcome ;)

27. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Just started using this software. It's really easy to create tilemaps with auto brushes and bits of randomness.
    I'm making a game world out of pre-designed rooms which will be loaded in a random layout at runtime (like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Caveblazers, etc) and it helps to have each room a little bit different. I've created each room as a tilemap then saved as a prefab. Then I can drag them into the scene and order as required for testing (I'm also using progrids so it's really easy to lay out a number of different maps and have them all snap together!), but in future I'll be loading them at runtime. It took a bit of time to get my head around the way that they're saved (as a script rather than as a collection of objects), but hopefully this cuts down on memory use :)

Just a few questions:
    • If I have 100 room types is it efficient to have 100 tilemaps that are all the same or is there a better way of doing this?
      I do have them all in the same tilemap group if it makes any difference..
    • How do I move things into the background?
      Transform.z is locked and can't be changed but this is required for shadows to be cast from foreground objects (I'll be using a perspective camera so don't require the parallax script either).
    • I've assigned a material with the standard shader and created a normals version of the tilemap and it works great but when I flip a tile it doesn't flip the normals (even if it rotated 180 I could check vFace or viewDir and flip the normals in the shader). How can I test if a tile has been flipped?
      In future I'll be using my own toon shader but I applied the standard shader in testing so as to eliminate any errors from my own shader code (I also tested my shader code with normal flipping but it didn't work).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  28. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Bug report:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'RandomBrush' has been destroyed by you are still trying to access it. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.

When I double click the error in the console, it takes me to RandomBrushEditor.cs, line 132:
    EditorUtility.SetDirty(target);

This occured after I made a few brushes (road, carpet, brush, 2x2). Then I deleted all the brushes. Then I created a new 2x2 brush, and when I go to assign a tile, the error occurs.

See attached image.

I had to restart unity (without saving, just in case) to stop the error.

I should note, I was using the latest beta at the time (5.6.0b7). Not sure if I can replicate it in a standard release.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  29. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!

I created a game like the one you are creating using STE.
    You can check it here:
    https://creativespore.itch.io/ghost-mansion
    And also another game for the GBJam
    https://creativespore.itch.io/aliens
    Basically, I created a TilemapGroups for each room and made a prefab with all of them.
    The reason to use a TilemapGroup is in case you want to use different tilemaps for each layer. In my case I have a ground, ground overlay, placeables, walls and wall overlay.
    upload_2017-2-8_13-23-43.png
    In Ghost Mansion I made a dungeon generator to create the mansion in a single TilemapGroup. What I did was copy the tiles of the room prefab intro the scene TilemapGroup.
    In Aliens I tried something different and just instantiate the room prefabs.

In the case of Ghost Mansion, if you want to get the tile data for a position, you only need to ask to the only TilemapGroup in the scene.
    ex:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tile tile = MansionMap["Ground"].GetTile(player.transform.position);
    But in Aliens, you would need to find first the room where the player is:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. TilemapGroup room = FindRoom(player.transform.position); // you would need to implement this method
    3. Tile tile = MansionMap["Ground"].GetTile( room.transform.TransformPoint( player.transform.position));
    I thinks it's also a good idea to pre instantiate all the rooms when you load a level. So you only need to enable them when needed.

About the Z position, It's a bug. I already fixed it. You need to apply the patches attached to this post.

About the tile flipping, the tiles are flipped by changing the UV of the tile, not the vertices.
    You can change in a shader if a tile is flipped checking the uv for each vertex. For example if it's horizontal flipped the u0 should be greater than u1.

Other way get the tile flags is getting the tileData:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. uint tileData = tilemap.GetTileData(45, 67);
    3. bool flipH = (tileData & Tileset.k_TileFlag_FlipH) != 0;
    4. bool flipV = (tileData & Tileset.k_TileFlag_FlipV) != 0;
    5. bool rot90 = (tileData & Tileset.k_TileFlag_Rot90) != 0;
    As the tilemap is boundless you can use tilemap.MinGridX, tilemap.MaxGridX, etc to check all the visible area of the tilemap where tiles has been placed.
    You can also use TilemapUtils.IterateTilemapWithAction to make an action of each tile in a tilemap.

Attached Files:

Stevepunk likes this.
  30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I found a bug not unregistering tileset events properly when changing the tileset of the brush. So changing the tileset and removing them was causing these exception.
    Here is the patch attached. I will submit soon a version with all fixes.
    Right now, these are all the packages that should be imported to fix the issues with current version.

Attached Files:

31. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Wow this post is quite in-depth and my head is exploding. I'm still trying to get used to the basic features.
    It looks like this asset is quite powerful once you can take advantage of all the features.

So each room is a separate tilemap group?
    Or can you use one tilemap group to create each room and save individually as a prefab?

Good idea to use groups. This is perhaps what I need to do to solve my other problem where I have 2 tilemaps that I always want to be in alignment:

Desired Result:

If I add them both to a group there must be a way I can create brushes to place both layers at once..
    I think my individual designs are to difficult for smart brushes anyway as the tiles are designed as borders rather than the standard block design.
    The impassable blocks will be mostly the black squares as you can see from the colliders:

The borders are just for decoration.
    I think the easiest way is to have a random brush for topBorder, then another for bottomBorder, another for leftBorder and so on. Then I just need to endure that it somehow picks the two matching borders from each set.

EDIT: Actually I just watched the tutorial again and it's obvious that I can use a carpetbrush to paint the empty space instead of painting the blocks. I just need to fill in my map all black to start with and work in reverse! Still not sure how to link the two tilesets though..

EDIT2: Ok so I tried the above but it does not work for some reason.
    Here's what I'm doing:

I tried changing some of the options but I can't get it to behave how I want:

I watched this video:
    (the relevant part starts at 39 seconds but unity forums deletes the start time from the link)

Imagine my black tiles are the grass and my carpet brush is the lake.

I should be able to start with all 'grass' and paint out the shape of the 'lake' but it doesn't work..

Another edit: I tried the opposite methodology of starting with a blank project and painting in the blocks with the reverse carpet brush of what I tried before but it still doesn't work.

What I find is the carpet brush only ever paints the central tile and none of the outer ones.
    The lower part was all painted piece by piece by hand because the carpet brush simply does not work.

So far this asset hasn't been intuitive at all and I've spent more time troubleshooting and trying to get it working and haven't managed to make a single level..

BTW your games and levels are really great. I wish I could get something like that working in my project - or even be able to draw a single level..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  32. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I think you could achieve that using a modification of this shader:
    http://nielson.io/2016/04/2d-sprite-outlines-in-unity/

I use this useful shader in a game to make the boderder of the sprite to be colored.
    The idea would be using this shader modified to draw the outline in transparent color, and the inside in black.

33. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Actually I already have custom backlit toon shaders for the coloured parts and for the unlit parts so I can't replace them with another shader at this stage. But I may be able to edit one shader to include the other if I can get some help from a friend..
    It's not just a coloured outline but also includes a normal map for correct lighting (as well as drawing backfaces and reversing normals for flipped objects) and toon shader for just 1 highlight colour (though it's currently shown with just the standard shader because I was testing the light problem with the tilemap (the Super Tilemap Editor actually stops vertical light and only allows horizontal light on the normal maps.. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just my shader but it is infact all shaders with normal maps when used with the tilemap system)).

This screenshot shows the issue with the lighting:

The left tiles are just a single unity object. The right ones are the Super Tilemap.
    They both have the same normal map. There is only one directional light in the scene.
    They both receive light from the left but only the regular unity object receives light from the top.
    The Super Tile Map doesn't receive any light from the top (or from below when I angle the light).
    It somehow deletes or forgets about the vertical normal map info.
    It doesn't matter if I use point lights or directional lights..

The with all the problems I've had the easiest solution that I can think of is just to make a prefab of each tile that includes both the brown sprite and the black one and give up on the tilemap editor and place tiles by hand. It's the only way I've managed to create levels so far even in the editor..

I made a bitwise tile placement system in the past so perhaps I just need to write my own system to do something similar again. The time I try to save by downloading assets ends up being spent troubleshooting. Not just with this one but with many others as well. No more shortcuts for me..

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  34. Khena_B

Khena_B

I think it would be a great idea add a checkbox in the collider section that would make the colliders visible even when not selected, would be useful when working on the scene, i've changed OnDrawGizmosSelected to OnDrawGizmos for now while i work on the levels.

35. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I've been searching and trying my self using a bumped shader and this is what I found.
    Thanks to danielbuechele, it looks like using his script with the mesh the problem is fixed:
    https://github.com/danielbuechele/SumoVizUnity/blob/master/Assets/Helper/TangentSolver.cs
    upload_2017-2-10_16-32-3.png

36. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I think it's a good idea too. I will try to add this for the next version.

Khena_B likes this.
  37. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

Hey @CreativeSpore

Is this possible to render tilemap with shadows? Similar to mesh renderer.
    Really need it ^_^

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

So you mean project shadows over a tilemap?
    Yes it should be posible changing the material and changing the code a little.
    upload_2017-2-13_11-19-19.png

Here you would need to change the false to true to receive shadows. I will expose this in a future version to avoid changing the code.
    This is set when Reset is called and this happens when you create a new tilemap, so you should make this change before creating a tilemap.

39. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

Yes this is exactly what I need! Thank you!

It would be awesome to have this feature in Tilemap renderer options

40. Khena_B

Khena_B

An even better idea would be to add a shortcut key like F4 or something to toggle it on and off, would be super helpful while working on my terrain!

41. Khena_B

Khena_B

I'm trying to change the tilemap tint through script, i've added the namespace and i can access the Tilemap class but i don't know where to go from there, what should i do next?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using CreativeSpore.SuperTilemapEditor;
    3. Tilemap myTilemap = GetComponent<Tilemap>();
    4. myTilemap.TintColor = new Color(0,0,0,0);

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  42. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

Is there a way to offset the grid of the map (without changing the map's game object position)? I would like to have it aligned with the unity grid (so I can hold ctrl+drag game objects to snap to the grid).

Ideally the Offset parameter would go along with the Cell Size and Show Grid parameters.

43. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

Can you do animated water tiles with the carpet brush?

44. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

Wait...

Whats the difference between this and your RPG Map Editor program?

45. flipwon

flipwon

edit: nvm

46. flipwon

flipwon

I'm pretty sure you can make the water tiles anim brushes and then fill in a carpet brush with your anim brushes.

47. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

I honestly wouldn't know, I have not bought this yet. Trying to figure out which one to get. This or the RPG Map Editor

48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can apply an offset to the tilemap so the cells are centered to the unity snap positions. But I think you should change the pivot of your sprites so they are centered and that way you won't need to do that.
    If you attach a prefab to a tile you can also place it using the tile palette and you can change the offset of the prefab in pixels or units in the Tile Properties Window.

49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

As flipwon says, you can create an animated carpet brush using animated brushes for their tiles.
    About the differences between Super Tilemap Editor and RPG Map Editor:

RPG Map Editor is focused on being an startup for RPG games using graphics resources compatible with RPG Maker VX. There are tons of free to use resources compatibles in webs like this one:
    https://vxresource.wordpress.com/
    So the tilemap editor in RPG Map Editor is focused to be like the RPG Maker editor, and make it easy to create a map.
    Also including the DirectionalCharacterAnimator to easily create an actor using a compatible spritesheet, and included a frameswork with AI behaviours, Player controller, vehicles, etc.

Super Tilemap Editor was created to be only a tilemap editor for general purpose. But it doesn't include AI behaviour, pathfinding, etc, just features to help creating a game using a grid (you can use the editor also to place game elements using the grid, not just tiles).

50. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

One last question, are ramps(stairs) and bridges over land (mountain to mountain) easy to do?

I am talking top down like A Link to the Past style.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017