Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [Released] Strata: Easy 2D Level Generator With Procedural Tilemap Tools

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by MattMirrorfish, Aug 17, 2018.

1. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

I was holding out for an update about v2.0 as well, been quite quiet for a while now.

2. MattMirrorfish

MattMirrorfish

Hey there, sorry for the slow response. The v2 update is code complete for core features, I just haven't had time to package it up and deploy it and rewrite the docs. An unsatisfying answer I know, but the truth.

As far as interacting with the underlying data, in 1.3 it's a just a two dimensional array of ASCII characters stored in boardGridAsCharacters, so you can write to that via any code you want.

The recommended way to write to it would be to use this function in BoardGenerator:

Code (CSharp):
    2. //This is the function we use to write characters to our boardGrid, the parameters include x and y coordinates, the character to write, whether this should
    3.         //overwrite spaces that are not empty (overwrite previous data) and if it is generating space that we will want to connect together (empty, traversable player space)
    4.         public void WriteToBoardGrid(int x, int y, char charIdToWrite, bool overwriteFilledSpaces, bool inConnectedPlayableArea)
    Thanks!

tapawafo, mccann and DungDajHjep like this.
  3. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

Hi, this asset can support multi tilemap layer ??

Capture.PNG

I saw in the video you can create the rooms , can I spawn a gameobject at the doors?
    Can I create corridor connecting rooms?

Please support multipe tilemap, im purchased one (like)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    oliver_unity892 and Aero1337 like this.
  4. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Is it possible to export a scene created in Unity 2017.4 with Strata to a Unity 4.7 project?

I mean, I don't need the Strata plugin on Unity 4, I just want to use the scene that I create on Unity 2017.4 to be exported to Unity 4.

5. Aero1337

Aero1337

since i also working with multiple tilemaps a feature like this would be extremely nice

DungDajHjep likes this.
  6. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Hey Matt,

Really cool stuff dude. I just picked up a license and I am a bit new to using tilemaps, so forgive me if this question seems dumb.

Does the system support the use of prefab brushes as tiles? I don't want to hand place prefabs because it's imprecise, and it defeats the runtime procedural aspect I'm trying to achieve. I also don't want to have to iterate through the map data and try to wedge functionality into a tile via pure script because that code is usually buried and I like to use the component/prefab model to keep things modular.

Anyway, I love the concept and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates. Hopefully I can suggest features or provide better feedback in the future.

7. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

Hi you, learn how to make a custom tile, it'll help you resolve problem.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/2d-extras

8. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Hi
    Is there yet a way to support multiple tilemap layers, with each being a different order within the layer group? So I might want my dungeon walls to look like this, with things on the walls for decoration. Like this. The stuff on wall are tiles on another tilemap grid with a higher priority. Also the sign on the floor is on another tilemap so that it has it's own collider.

Sewer.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    DungDajHjep likes this.
  9. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

off course, all feauture is supported, check 2d extra package example. With objects on the floor, its dont need is a tile, just drag and make its child of grid

10. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

This isn't supported in Strata yet as I understand - I believe it's a stretch goal of Strata v2 but not guaranteed.

11. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Thanks @Dragonbladeon. Does Strata support "back walls" which are more than one tile high?

My previous post had an image of my dungeon back wall. This is actually two tiles high, one for the bottom of the wall, and one for the top of the wall. Is that supported? That would let me have different types of wall-top to wall-bottoms, for extra variability.

Otherwise I guess I could just merge the tiles in to one long tall tile.

12. mccann

mccann

Hello Matt(@MattMirrorfish)! How's v2 publish to the asset store coming?

13. BioBurden

BioBurden

This asset definitely seems interesting and I'm also interested in the other assets the author has planned. :)

14. BioBurden

BioBurden

Realistically. how large of a level can I safely generate without running into performance issues?

15. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

Sorry for the massive delay! I've pretty much abandoned this asset tbh becasue I was waiting for V2, but I'm not sure it will see the light of day (hoping I'm wrong) - just came back to see if there had been any movement and saw your comments!

You should be fine with this setup if I'm understanding your description correctly, you would just need to make sure that the variants are spread across your room files.

Depends on your machine (unhelpful, sorry), but I recommend looking into a sprite mask to cull the rendering of any tiles that your camera isn't currently viewing as this helped me generate much bigger maps without comprising FPS.

16. urealaden

urealaden

Hello Matt(@MattMirrorfish ),

I just got your plugin and am pretty excited to use it but after going through the initial setup I'm unable to generate a layout. I'm receiving the following error.

ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: R
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    Strata.BoardGenerator.InitializeLibraryDictionary () (at Assets/Strata by MirrorfishMedia Inc/Scripts/BoardGenerator.cs:232)
    Strata.BoardGenerator.InitializeGeneration () (at Assets/Strata by MirrorfishMedia Inc/Scripts/BoardGenerator.cs:134)
    Strata.BoardGenerator+<BuildLevel>d__14.MoveNext () (at Assets/Strata by MirrorfishMedia Inc/Scripts/BoardGenerator.cs:140)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <58a34b0a618d424bb5fc18bb9bcdac20>:0)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    Strata.BoardGenerator:Start() (at Assets/Strata by MirrorfishMedia Inc/Scripts/BoardGenerator.cs:60)

I did my best to make it look exactly like the MiniRogueLike RoomSequence demo scene with no luck. Please help.

17. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Heyo!

Loving the plugin thus far. Thank you for making it.

Is it currently possible to make a room that has more than two exits on a single side that guarantees access to different rooms? Something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.54.24 AM.png

18. Junglerally

Junglerally

Hello, I was having trouble with this. I was trying to figure stuff out by watching your video, but I have been having an issue. In the video, it said that the Board Generator Script was automatically attached to the Tilemap. It was not, and I cannot figure out how to attach one. I am using a different tilemap than the ones provided, is that the issue?

19. Junglerally

Junglerally

Nevermind. I was trying to attach the Board Generation profile, not the script.

20. Junglerally

Junglerally

:eek:Wait now I cant attach my profiler to the script. HELP