Search Unity

[Released] Storytelling Splash Effect - make the perfect entrance for your story!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MODev, Dec 3, 2019.

1. MODev

MODev

We are glad to announce amazing asset: Storytelling Splash Effect
    Storytelling splash effect is advanced solution for effective presenting content and adding transitions. Typical transition effects usually are not so attractive for players and they limit animator ideas but with SSE you can do more.
    Create stunning previews of your art and content!

Features:
    -creating transition effects based on dissolve textures
    -control for animator over fade-in/out and loop curves to make more stylish appear effects
    -multiple sources of appearing image parts from single object
    -control over position, size, rotation of every transition
    -additional noises and smoothings to make effect fit your game style

Perfect for:
    -storytelling
    -highlighting
    -credits
    -concept art preview
    -presenting new content
    -film-like appear effects

Check out it here: http://u3d.as/1FRP

2. Teila

Teila

I love this. Do you have any more samples other than the one above? It is exactly what I need to show a prequel for our game.

3. MODev

MODev

@Teila we are planning to release video tutorial to show how easy and quick is SSE setup (EDIT: now we have only pdf documentation) but probably till new features come there will be no more samples like above.
    Whole workflow is quite simple, you chose sprite + dissolve texture which will be your "splash" (there are some example textures, which use you could find in video), set parameters of multiple splashes like position/size/rotation/more. Note that splash pivots can be set in various places so you can easily get good effects like on above video.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  4. Teila

Teila

I see, so currently, it is just that one splash effect and no documentation until new features are added. Thanks, I will keep an eye on it.

5. MODev

MODev

@Teila what made you think there's only 1 splash effect? The same with missing documentation? Both things are not true :) There is full documentation (check out package content on asset store, the name is "documentation.pdf"). When I wrote about tutorial I meant only video version, which is not obligatory, the written version is already in the package.

6. Teila

Teila

Before I buy something, I like to know what can be done with it and I look for more information. The documentation is only available after purchase? If not, can you tell me where I can find it? The video on the asset store shows lovely transitions but not each feature so that I can see exactly what is available. So....how do I know what the individual effects are unless someone shows me? What I see is splash effect on every frame. What else is included?

That is what I meant. :) A video with more info would be great, maybe not obligatory for the store, but still, a great way to attract customers.

I will wait and see what other features are added and shown in a video. These are visual effects and the only way to really know if they would work for what I want is to see them, individually. Would be nice if you would add text to each transition and effect that told us what we are seeing in the video.

I am not being critical so no need to be defensive. ;) It is a very cool idea and will look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future. Some of us picky people can be your best customers in the future.

7. MODev

MODev

@Teila thank you for explanation. If you pm me with your email I can send you documentation :)

Teila likes this.
  8. MODev

MODev

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. MODev

MODev

Release 1.04 is out!
    Whats there:
    -increased example progress patterns (of splashes/dissolves) to 12
    -fixed minor issues
    -added more control over effects

10. MODev

MODev

Part of you asked for more example noise textures to make even better effects.
    So the 1.05 version is here and 6 example noises too :) + some minor fixes.
    Here are examples how you can change look of effect with just different noises (without touching splash pattern etc.):

11. MagicPigGames

MagicPigGames

Hello. Does this work with 3D scenes at all? Or UI elements over a 3D scene?

12. MODev

MODev

Hey @MagicPigGames it should work with World Space Canvas (tested few minutes ago, even on perspective camera):

If you find any problems (should work instantly) just let us know on support mail and our team will help you.

MagicPigGames likes this.
  13. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

Hi,

is it possible to use it as a ui mask? I couldnt make it work : /

14. MODev

MODev

Hi @Imperatoss,
    for now it's not available on asset store (will be soon). But if you send to our support mail request (with invoice number) we can resend you changed files which have this functionality :)

15. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

AH great, nice Feature MODev, thank you very much =)

16. MODev

MODev

As probably Imperatoss noticed:
    yesterday Unity accepted Stortytelling Splash Effect in version 1.1 with support of Unity's GUI Mask Component, so since now SSE can be used as a mask for other UI Images.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  17. tms_dev

tms_dev

Hey, we love your assets. Will you be releasing some tutorial videos for some of the examples you implemented in the trailer soon? Thanks.

18. MODev

MODev

@MishDish great to hear that you like it :)
    For now tutorial is not planned in incoming month but if you send to our support mail your invoice nr with request we can resend you nearly the same scene which was used in example video (just without images) so you can copy-paste techniques used there.

19. tms_dev

tms_dev

Ah great, thank you! But I can't find your support email anywhere.

20. MODev

MODev

21. tms_dev

tms_dev

Thank you :)

I sent you an email.

22. tms_dev

tms_dev

Hey, did you happen to receive the email?

23. MODev

MODev

Yes, we will reply as soon as we will be able to send package (hopefully today)

24. tms_dev

tms_dev

Ah ok, no worries thank you.

25. aakomarov

aakomarov

Hello! It's good asset, but it doesn't work in WebGL for me. Do you have any ideas?

26. MODev

MODev

Hi,
    SSE works on WebGL, What Unity version are you using? And which rendering pipeline?(I hope, "standard" one because now it's the only one supported).
    Also is it working on editor without problems or it's only build issue?
    If you wish you can send on our support mail screens of your setup so we could easier help you solve the issue

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  27. MODev

MODev

New update has come!
    What's new in 1.14 version:
    -support for latest 2020.x versions of Unity
    -closing support for 2017 Unity (although there will be high chance that asset still works there)
    -new effect pattern

28. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

does it support URP?

29. MODev

MODev

For now SSE does not support URP because of URP limitations

30. starfoxy

starfoxy

This is a great, unique asset and I hope to see additional support and enhancements in the future. Thanks @MODev !

31. MODev

MODev

Great to hear that you @starfoxy like it.
    Sure we are still open for new changes and enhancements. If you have any ideas what can be improved you are welcome to let us know :)

32. starfoxy

starfoxy

Hi there, I am trying to get this working with a world space canvas. It doesn't work for me for some reason even though I have tried to copy the example and the thread above re world space. Are there some common things I should be double checking?

Essentially, I would like to have a ui image fade/transition away to reveal a 3D scene behind it.

33. MODev

MODev

Hi,
    Most important thing is pivot position and splash scale. You can also check if image is visible when you select "show image without effect".
    Another things that can help: set camera to world canvas (many people don't do that) and select in effect "will image resize in runtime" (should work without this but may depend on your asset usage).
    If above don't work for you please write to us mail with screens of your configuration and we will do our best to help you.

34. starfoxy

starfoxy

Thank you so much!

Now I am wondering if I can just use screen space instead of world space. Essentially, I want to use a UI Image with your effect and have it fade out to reveal the 3D scene. Is this possible using screen space canvas?

Also, I am not totally sure what I should be dragging to the pivot field. Which UI element should I drag into that field?

35. MODev

MODev

You can attach as pivot any element on 3d scene but yes your case sounds like you could solve it easily in screen space (Overlay or Camera) canvas. SSE of course supports both canvases.

36. starfoxy

starfoxy

Awesome, thank you @MODev ! I will give it a go!

MODev likes this.
  37. ProyectoUnity333

ProyectoUnity333

Hi! Can I use the asset with URP?

38. MODev

MODev

Hi, URP is not supported (because of its limitations)

39. MODev

MODev

Great news! Version 1.21 is here. A lot of you asked for sample effects used in trailer video, so if you are using unity 2020 or higher you will find new scene in examples with from-trailer effects!

40. Any plans to support URP and HDRP? Even if they are separate packages?

41. MagicK47

MagicK47

need urp!!!!

42. starfoxy

starfoxy

As a customer, I agree that URP is much needed now.