Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [RELEASED] Storyteller 2019 . Better Storytelling and dialogue building

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by DaiMangou, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

Storyteler 2019.1b

Exports

Updated My Story window

When you export with Storyteller Exporter you can choose to export directly to your unity project or an external folder.
    Exporting to an external folder i faster and will be free of useless Meta data

Story overview export.

New Storyboard Image settings.
    you now have the option of viewing and working with storyboard in large images or small images and to either make all your storyboard images scale to fit or scale to fill.

Updated character settings

Updated Environment settings

Updated Scene Settings

New and Updated Export settings

TomTumbler likes this.
  2. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

In summary.

-export scenes, characters, overview, environment with varying options.
    -you can pick your export location.
    -exports with css, images and audio.
    -exported content is now portable.
    -"Tone" for Action and Dialogue is now "Tag"
    - new optimization system increases storyteller speed.
    -new memory management system reduces greatly the amount of memory storyteller uses.
    -storyboard images are now handles in a different way internally.
    -environments now support images.
    -scenes now support images.
    -new large and small toggle option for storyboard images.
    - option for scale to fill or scale to fit for storyboard images.
    -improved text areas inside the "My Story" window
    - optimized Properties window with the downside of no undo redo for time and name change in properties tab.
    - improved screenshot system to match the new storyboard image settings.
    - finalized internals for Game bridge
    - several bug fixes
    - and many more updates

Runs on
    Unity 2017
    Unity 2018

Unity 5 - Dropped. the new systems have outgrown the old system.

in order to give you these fixes and updates. work on the game bridge had to be halted. today makes about 2 weeks since the halt.

Game bridge development will resume after Storyteller 2019.1b upload.

HOW TO UPDATE TO STORYTELLER 2019.1bR

when updating, exit storyteller and select all your template and all your scenes and click e the update button on each that you see in the inspector.

This update has already been sent to unity, so hopefully it is on the store soon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

New version is now on the AssetStore.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

Picking up from where I left off working on Game Bridge.

I can now tap into any function and use it to trigger an event.
    there will be build in event such as route switching , sound effect and voice playback , begin time loops ..

From Right to Left, you are looking at the Dialoguer , Dialogue Data, DialogeNodeData, Condition and event. The displayed content in the inspector to the FAR RIGHT is that of a single dialogue node selected in the storyteller canvas.

I can simply select any node in the canvas and give it a specific setting for runtime.

The data displayed in the inspector in the MIDDLE RIGHT is that is the Dialogue Data Scriptable Object which we can use in a different scene. it holds the entire storyteller canvas data (the parts required for game use).

The list you see named Active Character Dialogue Set is generated at runtime and whenever you play through your story and change routs . In the dialogue editor in the inspector to the far right the is a property named Active Index. as you increase this value you move through the story.

To the MIDDLE LEFT you are looking at a single Piece of NodeData representing the .

To the FAR LEFT you see the Condition system which determines what events will be triggered and under what condition.

Lets talk TIME TRAVEL.

As you know , Storyteller has an interesting node named the Link Node . This node was originally designed to keep projects clean by providing an invisible link across two points on the canvas... not very impressive.

But then it evolved to support movement through time in your story inside storyteller when doing playthrough with the media node and you can see the time jumps in the timeline.

I say movement through time because your story literally will jump backward for forward to any point in time of your story.

This is possible firstly because of a property of storyteller which is very different form traditional systems of story creation. With storyteller you actually can control your character interactions on a timeline. very different from linear text based writing...

The link node exploits this and allows you to set points throughout your story where your character can jump to.This not only allows for a cleaner canvas by for more complex stories to be written.

Now, you make have 2 , 4 ,10 scenes and 2 , 4, 10 character in scenes , if you move your main character through time , your other characters must also move through time. In storytellers canvas this is mostly a nonissue since you are doing mostly sampling and writing and you can see the result of the time loop in the timeline and BETA Story Sample Editor.

Imagine that in your story you have several branching events and your character moves 7 events back in time. the events of the future that you already entered will not need to be reset as you can just pretend as if you are entering those events for the first time in the next go around where you will change the branches of the story.

This is what the result will be like for the time loops in Dialoguer use, this may or may not be included in the first release depending on how things go. But things are looking good.

I how that you all enjoy the latest Storyteller too :)

Thank you.

TomTumbler likes this.
  5. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

Thee is a ALPHA of Game Bridge on github however it is closed to just a few storyteller users for code analysis and texting to see if the foundation is something they are comfortable with.

Current ALPHA of Game Bridge is running Dialoguer. an extension which takes your storyteller content (dating sim for example) and will at runtime, generate the chain of events for the current route your player will take, each time you change the route, a new chain is generated. this is also how tell tale type game would work.

all that works well in alpha however its required a custom UI system and a system i call a Condition system to allow for users to say, under what CONDITION an even happens, under what CONDITION do me switch routs. do we switch routes when the sun sets, when a character find an item, when you press a button. That will take a bit of time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019 at 12:59 AM
  6. DaiMangou

DaiMangou

I should probably do a Separate Game Bridge thread to help prevent the misunderstanding that Game Bride is part of Storyteller , hmmm