Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Space Sim Sci-Fi Cockpits & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HarleyW, Feb 7, 2017.

1. HarleyW

HarleyW

[ASSET STORE LINK]

3 High-Quality PBR Sci-Fi Ship Cockpits, Ship Weapons, and some Space Junk thrown in for good measure ;)

> High-Resolution Source Textures
    > Separate Glass material can be changed for Damaged Variant
    > Displays & Screens can have their own UI or Animated Texture input
    > Separate Weapon prefabs for swapping ship loadouts easily
    > Closed geometry in all Cockpits - ideal for VR
    > Separate Controls prefabs - place Throttles, Joysticks, etc where you want
    > Joystick, Throttle lever, etc have moving parts as separate geometry for easy animation
    > Source .PSD files included for customization of Logos, Placeholder UI Textures, etc

This pack also comes with all Demo Assets - including well-optimized, performance-friendly Asteroids, sharing a seamless tiling material, and with 3 LOD levels.

Additional high-fidelity detail for the Cockpits delivered via optional floating geometry Stickers - Stickers share Texture Atlases but are easily optionally removed for performance gains.

2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

PURCHASED! (duh)

I didn't get a lot of time to look at it yet, or integrate it into my game, but I'll share my first impressions. Short version: I will very likely get a huge amount of value out of the pack. Thanks for creating it! Definitely hoping there's enough interest that there will be a Pack B and beyond. Here goes (sorry, it's a bit long)...

Things that make you go hmmm
    • Got "The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!" warnings on Frame_C_Billboard 1, Frame_C_Billboard 2, Frame_C_Billboard 3, and Frame_C_Billboard. Did you have a blink script on those maybe? I'm not sure I'd use those anyway to be honest.
    • The bottom side displays on Cockpit C appear to be baked into the main mesh. I'll probably need to pull the mesh into a modeling tool and delete those, as the size and dimensions don't match what I need for my game.
    • Does it seem strange to have a flight stick directly in front of a screen in Cockpit B in the demo scene? The throttle position also seems very unlikely. I could see using Cockpit A or B for a ground vehicle I'm contemplating - I realize those can be moved around.

Random thoughts. These are mostly in the context of Cockpit C (which you essentially made to my specs, hehe):
    • I'll need to resize the main display if I want to use it, since the display area of my main display is formatted for 16x9. Hopefully adjusting the vertices and UV's will be easy enough, but I haven't looked at the geometry yet. Otherwise I may need to just put my own display mesh in there, possibly using bits of the same texture.
    • I love the demo scene. It's so cool to have a good example of the interior lighting and reflection probes.
    • I like the "sticker atlas" approach to the decals.
    • It looks like at a normal forward camera view the top displays would be hidden, which is perfect, since I wouldn't want them to block the view. But it could be fun to put some non-essential stuff on those for the player to see if they do look around.
    • The pilot seat is 100% usable; the package is worth it for me for that alone. The fabric and worn painted metal texturing is perfect. A+.
    • The weapons should be usable.
    • It's minor, but the weapon base pieces I should be able to use.
    • I'll need to play with the cockpit itself to see how well it works. I'm slightly concerned that there are too many support pieces that could block the view. At first I was slightly disappointed at how much the bottom platform blocks the "looking down" view, but it may not be a big deal. I do really like the wire bundles that run along the supports.
    • It seems like the throttle and stick are a bit too far away from the seat; I may play with moving the seat up some.
    • The price is super nice! Wow.
    • I was surprised how much mileage you got out of the interior cockpit glass and even the screens with the reflection probes and the right normal maps. I was assuming that some sort of custom shaders would be needed for that sort of thing, but that makes sense. Using my main display's render texture as an emission map should work well with that technique. Anyway, very nice!
    • I like how you handled the rear elements of all three cockpits.
    • It'd be kind of cool to have modular rudder pedals or some element that looks appropriate for the pilot's feet.

HarleyW likes this.
  3. HarleyW

HarleyW

Thanks for the in-depth feedback, Steve :)

The script warning is for a little snippet I found to have those billboards face the camera, but as an artist I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with scripts. Oh well :p

I hope any adjustments go well - I made a point not to have much texture micro-detail around the screens, so pushing and pulling verts should be harmless, and once you replace my Placeholder UI textures with the real thing, it should be good to go :)

I could always update the pack and include some alternate textures, e.g. the Floor of Cockpit C changed to a Metal Grate, so you can kinda see through it?

Overall, glad you like it :)

4. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Oh, that's good to know.

Hmm, that might be interesting!

I did spent a bit of time trying to incorporate Cockpit C into my game. Right away I ran into an issue with the prefab. Several GameObject's were marked as static. That prevented the cockpit from moving and rotating with the ship. :D Turns out my spaceship actually moves, hehe. No big deal to uncheck those, but FYI.

I have a dedicated cockpit camera with a limited near/far plane, which makes the shadows nice and crisp. It looks good in the game, especially when looking around. I may need to play with breaking the outer frame out into a separate mesh to help line things up. Where the crosshairs appear line up a bit awkwardly with the frame supports; I think I just need to move the frame assembly down and maybe toward the pilot relative to the seat/platform.

The inner glass reflections work GREAT. Super happy with the visuals on that.

5. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Deprecated already? :eek:

Where can I get this asset? I am looking to add multiple ship HUDs to my newest project. I have a bunch of images and a couple of cockpit models that I'm messing with, and am experimenting to find the best inexpensive result. The images seem to have transparency issues, and the models seem a tad "heavy" for the purpose that they serve.

Mark